Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Paladins

1AD71AD7 Member UncommonPosts: 51

I have been working on a dual specialization theory crafting exercise for awhile but have been reinvigorated since watching the Class Discussion interview between Bazgrim & Joppa at PAX East. I have all classes complete except shaman, but will be working on that soon in addition to adding a passive buff to each spec similar to what was done here for paladins.  If anybody would like to check out the thread and provide feedback, here is the link: https://www.pantheonmmo.com/content/forums/topic/6253/dual-specialization/view/page/14

If you don't have access to the official forum, I also operate a fansite that is free to use. The same thread is being tracked here: http://www.fantheonmmo.com/topic/9-dual-specialization/

This is what I have come up with so far for the Paladin:

Paladin: Paladins are holy avengers, sworn to lay waste to the undead that populate the world of Terminus. They pledge resolute faith to their deities and rely on their favor to shield their allies and themselves from evil, or refocusing their efforts to vanquish it. (Paladins also leverage a special resource called Holy Favor that is acquired by killing undead/evil. It would have it's own unique resource bar that caps out but the cap can be increased through a Rites of Passage trial.)

Sentinel: Harness the divine favor that has been bestowed upon you and use it to safeguard those who find themselves in a situation fraught with danger. Paladins trained in the arts of Sentinel are dedicated to protecting their allies, sometimes at the expense of their own well being.

-- Atonement: Temporary buff that will siphon 10% of all threat generated from your group for the duration of the effect.

-- Pledge of Protection: Single target buff that can be maintained on a single ally. 10% of the Paladin's base AC will be transferred to target player.

-- Holy Radiance: Your strong convictions inspire your allies, granting them immunity to fear and increased movement speed. (Temporary buff, also affects the Paladin.)

-- Sacred Virtue: Powerful blessing that has a range of effects depending on how much Holy Favor is consumed. (Remove a curse from an item or player. Resurrect another player. Remove resurrection sickness from a player. Remove a portion of experience debt from a player. Bless the armor of yourself or another player (small mitigation increase for every piece that lasts for 4 hours.) -- (Ideally there will never be a short supply of friends who would be in need of these types of blessings but if the paladin so chooses, they can expend their Holy Favor as a service that they charge for. I would like to see the list of potential blessings to be extended a bit to ensure that this resource is always relevant, meaningful, and sought after.)

-- *Sanctity: (Passive Buff that can be freely toggled while specialized as a Sentinel) -- All disablements are reduced by 33% duration at the cost of 1 Holy Favor for each occurrence. (Fear/Stun/Stifle/Silence/Mezz, etc)

Oathsworn: Sworn to uphold the order of all things holy, you consider the eradication of evil to be just as vital to the success of your conquest for justice as you do protecting your comrades. Paladins trained in the arts of Oathsworn are vigilant toward a cause that is aligned with their very existence, and that cause is vanquishing evil.

-- Smite: Call down a jolt of holy energy that is violent to the core of any evildoer. (Standard holy attack that does bonus damage vs undead.)

-- Sanctified Wrath: Imbue your weapon with a temporary buff that generates additional threat for every successful melee attack. If your target is undead, they also take bonus damage.

-- Exorcise: Your next taunt ability will instead serve as a chanted blessing, forcing your target to lock onto you for a brief period of time. (If used vs an undead non-boss-NPC with 10% or less HP, it will kill them instantly and generate bonus Holy Favor. This ability can also be used to target and use on an undead corpse (corpses are otherwise untauntable, only works vs undead) -- once triggered, it will destroy their soul and apply fear to all other undead creatures within it's radius. (Using this ability on a corpse will also generate additional Holy Favor.)

-- Consecration: Consecrate the grounds around you (medium radius effect) -- while standing within these holy grounds, the paladin and all allies will take reduced damage for the duration of the effect. Undead NPC's will also have their attack speed reduced.

-- *Piety: (Passive Buff that can be freely toggled while specialized as an Oathsworn) -- All healing effects can now be used against undead NPC's and are converted to damage. Any heal that is converted to damage vs undead will not generate additional threat.

Rites of Passage: Paladins have all sworn an oath to extinguish evil and by law of their holy covenants, they must seek out and destroy the most tyrannical villains that scour the world of Terminus. For each renowned evildoer that is dispatched, the Paladin's maximum Holy Favor resource pool grows.

I went a little off-script with the Paladin class and added a unique passive ability for the Sentinel specialization. This is something I plan on doing for each specialization and will go back and work on that when all classes are complete. Other than that, there was also a "Holy Favor" mechanic that was touched on that I am highly interested in. It was mentioned that Paladins will be exceptionally strong vs undead and I figured it would be cool to add an additional incentive to get them out there killing undead. Would love to hear your thoughts!

KumaponAmathe

Comments

• delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    edited April 2018
    I narrowed it down to: 
    Cleric if I decide to heal depending on the game mechanics, or Monk or Rogue.  It's too early to decide.  

Until we get some real time hard facts on how groups will be formed and how adventures (quest) will be decided, its hard to decide between tank, healer or dps. 

Right now Live Streams only consist of group workings, not much else.  I'll give it another year because most is just on paper. 

I have total confidence in Brad, but for now it's only a vision !  
    edited April 2018
    Generally speaking, in most "real mmorpg's" tanks are hard to get. 

In Pantheon more so...... As it stands, a tank is a must if you leave any town or village.  Every fight is a boss. 

So with that, if you want to be a "golden child" be a tank ! 

All this is subject to change since Pantheon is in pre pre alpha.
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    I also listened to the interview where they discussed Paladins. I have never played a pally before - not in any game. Nothing about the class ever appealed to me. But here, they made it sound rather cool. I am seriously considering it.

Excellent write up btw OP.
    1AD7MrMelGibson

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,033

In Pantheon more so...... As it stands, a tank is a must if you leave any town or village.  Every fight is a boss. 

That is not exclusive to "real mmorpgs".  Any mmorpg that has trinity has the same issue.  This is not news to the majority of us.  Tanks and healers always take priority for the fact that most won't play them.  Pantheon is no different.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    edited April 2018

That is not exclusive to "real mmorpgs".  Any mmorpg that has trinity has the same issue.  This is not news to the majority of us.  Tanks and healers always take priority for the fact that most won't play them.  Pantheon is no different.
    Have they confirmed the maximum party size yet?

I ask because generally the larger the group size, the less troublesome is a shortage of any class.

In DAOC it was rarely an issue based on class, more on finding the right PVE spec'd healer, chanter, buffer or even DPS.
    MrMelGibson

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    edited April 2018
    MrMelGibson said:

Tanks and healers always take priority for the fact that most won't play them.  Pantheon is no different.
    I won't play either class, but not because of game mechanics. Rather, it's game convention and culture.

If you are a warrior, 9 times out of 10 people want you to shepard them through dungeons, not get lost, and lead the encounter - three things for which i have little aptitude. I struggle to find my car keys. 

As a cleric, you get blamed (not fairly, and not by everyone, but just by assholes) when anyone dies. And there are plenty of deaths and plenty of assholes. So no to that too.

Absent an enchanter (which i have never tried) that just leaves pew pew, pew pew! 
    KumaponMrMelGibson

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• BcudaBcuda Member UncommonPosts: 164
    I love the what this game is trying to do. I want there to be a real need for a tank in every group. And if you cant keep him alive ,well shit. And I want there to be a need for a real healer in a group to go far in the run you are trying. There were many nights that after a 45 minutes or so that I could not find a group... That being said , I've been asked not to go to work cause we're raiding. But I believe that the cave in eq1 that all the trading was done. Cant be duplicated. Yea I'm all over the place but if anyone knows what I'm talking about... Its close to 20 years my friend.

• 1AD71AD7 Member UncommonPosts: 51
    @Kyleran ; --  I believe the group size has been confirmed at 6.  The FAQ suggests that 8 player groups would be experimented with, and perhaps it's possible that there may be exceptions to the rule, but I do believe that 6 has been decided upon as far as the default max group size.
    WellspringMrMelGibsonKyleran
    1AD7 said:
    @Kyleran ; --  I believe the group size has been confirmed at 6.  The FAQ suggests that 8 player groups would be experimented with, and perhaps it's possible that there may be exceptions to the rule, but I do believe that 6 has been decided upon as far as the default max group size.

Just shooting from the hip without giving it much thought..... 

May be it would be great to have six being required for most content to be do-able, but can have up to eight.  With eight, it would take some pressure off in rare times when you can get that many, and make it fun too :)   

Does it really have to be that serious all the time ?
  • 1AD71AD7 Member UncommonPosts: 51
    edited April 2018
    I would love to see 8 man groups personally and was a bit disappointed that the number 6 was decided upon without players ever having the chance to test 8 or provide feedback.  At the same time, I can understand if that's easier for them to balance the game around.  At the end of the day, I hope that 8 player groups might be an exception in a few places of the world.  I'm okay with rule-bending if you can pull it off with finesse.
    edited April 2018

Amathe said:
    MrMelGibson said:

Tanks and healers always take priority for the fact that most won't play them.  Pantheon is no different.
    I won't play either class, but not because of game mechanics. Rather, it's game convention and culture.

If you are a warrior, 9 times out of 10 people want you to shepard them through dungeons, not get lost, and lead the encounter - three things for which i have little aptitude. I struggle to find my car keys. 

As a cleric, you get blamed (not fairly, and not by everyone, but just by assholes) when anyone dies. And there are plenty of deaths and plenty of assholes. So no to that too.

Absent an enchanter (which i have never tried) that just leaves pew pew, pew pew! 
    I agree.  This is exactly why most avoid the positions.  A lot of people just want to chill out and play.  Maybe they don't feel like leading the runs. Regardless of the reason,  this was my point.  You elaborated it well though.
    1AD7 said:

May be it would be great to have six being required for most content to be do-able, but can have up to eight.  With eight, it would take some pressure off in rare times when you can get that many, and make it fun too :)   

Maybe it would be difficult for them to balance?  Just spit-balling here.
  • WellspringWellspring Member EpicPosts: 1,464
    1AD7 said:

Being a non-instances MMO, there's nothing stopping you from having 2 extra people outside the group helping, they just won't get exp. But you can do it for fun like you want. 
    --------------------------------------------