Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Camelot Unchained - Fight the Power! - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited April 2018 in News & Features Discussion

imageCamelot Unchained - Fight the Power! - MMORPG.com

Chasing power retains players but what happens when a game like Camelot Unchained removes the automatic arms race from the leveling experience? What happens when our idea of power evolves?

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• danteafkdanteafk Member UncommonPosts: 4
    edited April 2018
    While this system is great, I can see veteran players getting annoyed by it at some point and start bitching why someone who is a new player is equally strong as someone who played 24/7 for a year and then ultimately stop playing.

I made a video about the progression system here:
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,992
    "Ah yes, the majority of games marketed to men (aka the majority of games) are based on the acquisition of power."

Phew, and I thought any imbalance in the presence of women in politics and business was down to a bias due to inequality ? So really they don't care about power, so they can't be bothered to have a powerful career. Thanks for clearing that one up. ;)
    ConstantineMerusElethon
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,015
    Yeah, love it.

I really love leveling and skill acquisition but never liked "getting gear". It always becomes too much of a pain in the ass.
    KyleranSlapshot1188pantaro[Deleted User]MrMelGibsonAgent_Joseph
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
    edited April 2018
    Ok now I have done the wind up, here is a serious question. My main concern when it comes to these new types of gameplay, shall we call it powerplay? Is that players are not used to this sort of play, and gamers today will not like that. We have had standardized fare for so long that anything new or difficult is avoided. Now many of the older players want something that is more than the same old easymode one size fits all template, but the baulk of players do not seem to.

I am hoping all the MMOs you write on are a success, but I am just not sure we have that many players who want to play these sort of MMOs and they will get split between them, dwindling the playerbase.
  • XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337
    I think what draws me to mmorpgs as opposed to other games is the progression more than whatever arbitrary power the game may offer. I've been playing healers where available, who are usually the weakest of the classes provided.

I was intrigued by the title and read the article to inform myself on what kind of power we are fighting. Disregarding the bias towards women players, I have to say to the author that the majority of the mmorpg players that find escapism in mmorpgs don't do it though some kind of power trip.

What most of us are lacking in our everyday lives is not power. It's control. That's what a game provides, the ultimate control of the in-game avatar. From the weakest starting character, to the most powerful end game one.
    AlomarLeFantomeYashaX
  • bobbymcswansonbobbymcswanson Member UncommonPosts: 204
    You need to have this kind of set up if you want to have competitive PvP anyway.... nobody wants to start a PvP game where the top players are miles away from you touching them just because they have better gear...the best PvP games reward skill and strategy not grinding it out.... that's why UO was so sick in the day.....1-2 people of 50-60 skill could kill a grandmaster skill character with the right strategy.
    BruceYeepantaroYashaX
  • ultimateduckultimateduck Member EpicPosts: 1,269
    I like stuff in game, but I don't like games where everyone has the same stuff, like the tiered sets that you end up with in most games.

DAoC had a pretty good loot system. People made "templates" which varied greatly from between different classes and allowed for personal customization between the same classes to fit individual play styles and races... solo vs group, offense vs defense, combinations of RNG gear, elite drops, legendaries, class sets and player crafted all having different proc rates and abilities.

I don't think removing a meaningful level progression and a diverse loot system will make a game better. In fact, I think dismissing character progression and a diverse loot system detracts from the immersion and depth of a game and takes away a persons attachment to a character they put effort into. While I like the idea of Camelot Unchained using a daily realm focused progression system, I think it should be used in conjunction with individual character progression.
    AlomarjimmywolfAgent_Joseph
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,509
    edited April 2018

Scot said:

Ok now I have done the wind up, here is a serious question. My main concern when it comes to these new types of gameplay, shall we call it powerplay? Is that players are not used to this sort of play, and gamers today will not like that. We have had standardized fare for so long that anything new or difficult is avoided. Now many of the older players want something that is more than the same old easymode one size fits all template, but the baulk of players do not seem to.

I am hoping all the MMOs you write on are a success, but I am just not sure we have that many players who want to play these sort of MMOs and they will get split between them, dwindling the playerbase.

As pointed out in the current thread on these here forums CU, Crowfall and Star Citizen are all bucking the long standing tradition with a more horizontal progression model.

Interestingly enough, I feel these 3 titles have a greater chance of drawing a broader audience, but only time will tell.

Come join the conversation, even if Tim totally ignored it, theres some great thoughts being debated. (By other people, not me certainly) ;)

https://forums.mmorpg.com/discussion/473032/the-case-for-mmos-with-little-to-no-stat-gap#latest
    pantaro[Deleted User]Scot

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• marcjt20marcjt20 Member UncommonPosts: 107

Kyleran said:

Scot said:

As pointed out in the current thread on these here forums CU, Crowfall and Star Citizen are all bucking the long standing tradition with a more horizontal progression model.

Interestingly enough, I feel these 3 titles have a greater chance of drawing a broader audience, but only time will tell.

Come join the conversation, even if Tim totally ignored it, theres some great thoughts being debated. (By other people, not me certainly) ;)

https://forums.mmorpg.com/discussion/473032/the-case-for-mmos-with-little-to-no-stat-gap#latest

First Star Citizen does not have that formula. there are no levels, skills or action buttons. Its a FPS with Flight/Space sim.

Crowfall on the other hand looks to be an annoying pvpfest.
    Kyleranesc-joconnor
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,988
    I want to play a character who develops. Now I dont think that development needs to be into a demigod, but I want my characters skills to play a much larger role in success than my twitch skills. My character is the one who trained with his bow for 10 years... not me.

IMHO the reason we see such crazy power discrepancies in games is due to PvE. To make the challenge worthy, developers need to dramatically increase HP and damage of the mobs (and bosses!!). Since this game will be PvP focused there is no need to have millions of HP or spells that do hundreds of thousands of points of damage. A great hero might be able to take on 2... or maybe even 3 weaker opponents but could also be felled by a lucky blow 1-1.

That’s what I am looking for.

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• BruceYeeBruceYee Member EpicPosts: 2,556
    First I'd like to say that I loved reading this article. It touched on so many points I think about quite often.
    The classic design for progression/power is IMO probably the main reason why MMORPG's have dropped in popularity and games like PUBG + Moba + FPS are now the new thing. An MMORPG obviously needs some type of meaningful progression otherwise it would just be a moba w/world and I think CU may just get it right. That old formula of starting weak, becoming stronger then maxing out power has been done by everyone most likely many times for the past decade+. Games like WoW and almost every other I can think of have power as a requirement to experience parts of the game while creating the longest road possible to reach that point just to make more money while relying on the rabid defense/adoration of their fans to excuse their almost criminal business practices.
  • esc-joconnoresc-joconnor Member RarePosts: 1,097
    Strategy you say? I'm curious what that entails. Too many games take out so many options and force you into a limited number of actions.
  • DvoraDvora Member UncommonPosts: 499

You need to have this kind of set up if you want to have competitive PvP anyway.... nobody wants to start a PvP game where the top players are miles away from you touching them just because they have better gear...the best PvP games reward skill and strategy not grinding it out.... that's why UO was so sick in the day.....1-2 people of 50-60 skill could kill a grandmaster skill character with the right strategy.

I think your example of UO is close but exaggerated by a factor of about 5. Grandmasters could still oneshot newbs with little difficulty. If the newbs had 50-60 in the right resists then maybe 4-5 of them could take down a gm that had any clue what he was doing. It was still much less of a gap than say WOW, but not quite as little a gap as you mentioned.

As far as Camelot, I don't mind if they are reducing that gap, but there should still be noticeable progression or ya, people will get bored.
    Slapshot1188
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    There will always be a power disparity in games. Whether it's programmed to be that way using the standard grinds or it's an emergent thing in relatively flat grind games, those who put in the time (and their thinking caps) will have an advantage over the tourists just popping in for a look see.

Do you remember GW1 where everyone was more or less equalized for PVP matches? Knowledgeable players were always one step ahead of the balancing devs creating dominant group compositions.

I guess there's something to be said for having a greater admiration for the wily vets who think the game better than for the grinders who just got there first.

But I guess lowering the level/gear impact is a good thing in the grand scheme since those games also additionally have the same wily vets using their experience to have more power.

But I do feel for the meek. It's easier for them when the path to greatness is all laid out for them. The meek always get screwed and all they have to look forward to is armageddon :)
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    edited April 2018
    Why then go for a rpg,why not just a map and go into pvp like PUBG or the rest of the clones?

The whole idea of a mmropg is to deliver the entire role playing experience not just a place to pvp.
    This topic can go into much detail would take forever to explain all the ins and outs.

A main issue is that if players are basically the same a year later,then those long standing players will be striving towards NOTHING and will get bored very fast.

I seriously believe when devs aim for this structure they simply don't have the team to make a HQ mmorpg and just aim very small.

In all my years and trying just about every mmorpg,the BEST way i have ever seen is like FXI,SUB CLASS system,NOT alts,NOT limiting gear or abilities but ENHANCING them the more classes you skill up.

To even mention EVE is a total turnoff for me,that design is total garbage,i would fire my production team if they came to me with that idea.I like people who think big and creative ,NOT cheesy cheap ideas like learning skills for no reason or offline nonsense.
    Kyleranpantaro

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• acidbloodacidblood Member RarePosts: 878

Sovrath said:

Yeah, love it.

I really love leveling and skill acquisition but never liked "getting gear". It always becomes too much of a pain in the ass.

Definitely this... while 'progression' is good, power is relative, and I don't think any game highlights this better than FFXIV where every 6-8 months a new tier of gear comes out and all the numbers go up, but it doesn't actually make you feel any more powerful because, well, everyone else’s numbers just went up too (and perhaps more importantly it doesn't change the gameplay) (i.e. 100,000,000 / 10,000,000 = 100 / 10 = 10)

Wizardry said:

Why then go for a rpg,why not just a map and go into pvp like PUBG or the rest of the clones?

The whole idea of a mmropg is to deliver the entire role playing experience not just a place to pvp.

This topic can go into much detail would take forever to explain all the ins and outs.

A main issue is that if players are basically the same a year later,then those long standing players will be striving towards NOTHING and will get bored very fast.

Because progression does NOT have to mean HP / 'damage' going up 10000x, or even 10x, between level 1 and 100.

Access to new skills, small stat increases, gear (and access to gear) that gives small bonuses; all of these things (and more) can be long term progression and give an advantage (which IMO is not a bad thing) to a veteran player without making them unbeatable by a new player.

Think of it like real life... you could spend decades becoming the greatest fighter in world, undefeated in any challenge, but you still need to duck when someone swings an axe at your head.
    BruceYeeKyleran
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,168
    REd-Wind said:
    I wish this game came out before Bless and ar or whatever.
    I wish this game didn't look like it came out in 2003.
    KyleranAgent_Joseph
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• odiasudaodiasuda Member UncommonPosts: 162
    You provided virtually no information on how leveling/progression will work in the game. What's the point of this article? (other than the overuse of parentheses)
    YashaX
  • RealizerRealizer Member RarePosts: 724
    Tiller said:
    REd-Wind said:
    I wish this game came out before Bless and ar or whatever.
    I wish this game didn't look like it came out in 2003.
     I don't think it will when it actually becomes playable, it already looks MUCH better than the clip from that test 4 years ago that everyone uses. The game is still under NDA and none of the new stuff has really been shown. 
  • VertigoValentineVertigoValentine Member CommonPosts: 1
    It feels like a half measure to be honest and one of the lasting deterrents to my interest in the game. Player experience and diversity of skills alone is plenty to differentiate veterans from new players, there is no need to retain any kind of over-arching power treadmill regardless of how minor.
    Kyleran
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,509
    odiasuda said:
    You provided virtually no information on how leveling/progression will work in the game. What's the point of this article? (other than the overuse of parentheses)
    No one really knows for sure at this point,  MJ has kept things pretty close to the vest so far.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Kyleran said:

Scot said:

I will rely on the likes of yourself to wake me up when they soft launch or even 'gods of gaming' forbid launch! :)

It was you who brought up the fact that they are not all the same in gameplay, that's a reasonable argument that there won't be population clash problems, but not sure it will pan out that way. To me the best defence is very separated launch dates but that's a bit of a pipe dream.
  • YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 3,098
    Well we don't know the details of how CU will work yet, but I think pvp games/mmos work better with horizontal progression, and I probably wouldn't even look at it if it was a gear grinder.

I also think it is something of a misconception to believe that a brand new player can come in to these kinds of games and perform at the same level as a vet just because gear/stat power is normalized. 

These games usually have quite complex mechanics that go far beyond a shooter or moba. Things like a deep understanding of the game mechanics, access to more resources, knowledge of the map/terrain, and ability to work in groups provide a massive advantage and is something that takes time to develop.

Pvp games with large gear/stat gaps just become ridiculous as you can see below:

Scot
  • OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    edited April 2018
    You really have to understand where this comes from.  DAoC was a great game until they put in a difficult pve quest chain that gave overwhelming powers to pvpers.  It did not take long for most of the player base to leave.  

So yes, you need to be competitive from the start and not face a huge grind to stay that way.  They got it right this time.
    TsiyaKyleranYashaX
  • TsiyaTsiya Member UncommonPosts: 280
    Thank you for the lovely read as usual Tim. As Oz said, DAoC mucked things up with ToA(I still have nightmares, and can't swim underwater). I have very fond memories of Thid and if CU can make the whole game that fun I'm in. Having a huge gear barrier to being competitive after the game's been up a year is one of the primary reasons people don't start pvp games. I see lots of posts with people interested in joining the game asking if it's too late to be competitive in BDO for example.