Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The controversial way of leveling the new Psijic skill line.

IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
Summerset hit the ESO public test server this past Monday and quite a few of us have been in there trying out new things. There is a partial NDA but it's limited exclusively to the contents of the main quest in Summerset. It's a "no quest spoilers" kind of NDA just for that quest line.

One of the things I've been focusing on with a brand new character created just for this is the Psijic Guild quest and skills. This post is not about the Psijic skills themselves which are getting favorable reviews so far (well, all except the "Undo" ultimate that we can't get at yet due to a bug.) What I'm going to highlight here is how the skill line advances because it's very different from almost every other skill line in the game and it's getting pretty well universal negative reviews so far.

You get access to Arteum and the beginning of the Psijic line very quickly if you follow the main Summerset quest. And that's where the grind begins... and I do mean grind.

There are no activities that you might do as a part of your normal game play (e.g. Mage's guild books, Fighter's guild undead and daedra killing) that advances the line. Instead what you have is a map in your inventory and a talking skull (nice nod to Bob from the Dresden files :)) that send you literally all over the continent of Tamriel to find and close some time rifts - 9 of them per map. You advance the skill line by one level only after closing all 9 rifts and turning in that quest back in Arteum.

A typical map will have you close rifts in 3 adjacent zones and there is A LOT of travel involved just to get to the area where the rift might be (not marked on your standard map) and once you get near (alerted by the skull) you then need to find it in a huge area. The actual location only becomes a compass indicator when you're very near it making the hunt very lengthy unless you get lucky.

Complicating that is the fact that a new or low level player will not have many (any?) wayshrines unlocked near where you need to go. Max level players who have been everywhere and have done everything will have a distinct advantage but the grind of 9 spots per map will still be there.

I'm sure there will eventually be add-ons that will mark their exact location and that "cheat" will make things a bit easier; and if you're in a large guild you'll be able to port to someone in that zone (hopefully) near where you intend to go, but the fact that it's an activity totally separate from normal leveling pursuits will still be a factor that will put many off... especially when you're doing it for your 5th or 15th character.

I'll put this one down into the "nice try but no cigar" category. 
"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
― CD PROJEKT RED

pantaroAlbatroesTokkenKyleran[Deleted User]YashaXjimmywolfimmodiumMendelOctagon7711

Comments

• pantaropantaro Member RarePosts: 515
    when i started reading your post i was expected much worse,at least i dont have to run dungeons lol
    YashaXOctagon7711
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    pantaro said:
    when i started reading your post i was expected much worse,at least i dont have to run dungeons lol
    The Undaunted already have a monopoly on the dungeon grind :)
    [Deleted User]
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

Iselin said:
    pantaro said:
    The Undaunted already have a monopoly on the dungeon grind :)
    so true so true!
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    I honestly expected some kind of link between spending cash and expedited advancement of the skill line to avoid the grind.  I guess that was the cynic in me. ;)

Either way, that's a whole lot of hide n' seek searching for no other reward than advancement of one singular skill line in a game with as many skill lines as ESO!
    [Deleted User]pantaro

I honestly expected some kind of link between spending cash and expedited advancement of the skill line to avoid the grind.  I guess that was the cynic in me. ;)

They're not quite that bad... yet. Give them time (PS I hope they don't read your post.)

But their marketing department is also getting a lot of negative feedback on the PTS due to a couple of changes:

• That Crown Store ad you get once a day or when they add something new is happening on every log-in of every character on the PTS... and they supersized it to take up almost the whole screen.
    • One of the new things included in the Crown Crates for Summerset is motif pages - not books, just pages - for a new motif. Someone in the forums made a good crack about that one: "What next, you get just a leg of a mount and then a head until you can assemble the whole mount?" :)
    MadFrenchie

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 3,098
    Is the grind worse than for undaunted?
  • AzmodeusAzmodeus Member UncommonPosts: 268
    Is it me or this doesn't seem very controversial or grindy?  Some people enjoy less hand holding, less being handed everything in the game so easily.  I think the leveling process seems fine.  

One of the problems I have with ESO is that you basically get all your abilities early in the game.  One can argue the champion point thing, but that is not FUN progression in my book.  
    immodium
      OMG I am Ancient!
  • immodiumimmodium Member RarePosts: 2,610
    Azmodeus said:
    Is it me or this doesn't seem very controversial or grindy?  Some people enjoy less hand holding, less being handed everything in the game so easily.  I think the leveling process seems fine.
    I was getting that impression. Old school players who loved playing hide'n'seek trying to find their corpse when they died and the slow travel might like this.

• YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 3,098
    Azmodeus said:

One of the problems I have with ESO is that you basically get all your abilities early in the game.  One can argue the champion point thing, but that is not FUN progression in my book.  
    Its fine for pve, but these skills are very powerful which means all the pvpers will be forced to grind for them, like we are for undaunted.
    YashaX said:
    Is the grind worse than for undaunted?
    Undaunted is worse, IMO, because its timing is not something you can control: there are only 3 max undaunted pledges and daily quests you can do per day and very few things aside from that advance the skill line. 

At least with the Psijic line you can bear down and grind it at your pace. You can probably get it all done in a week easily if you do nothing but that for 2 or 3 hours a day. It's not a time-gated grind.

Azmodeus said:

It's controversial only in that it's getting almost universal hate from those going through it. It's really hard to find anyone on the PTS saying anything positive about the quests. You don't see the usual mix of positive and negative comments about it as you do with most things even if they're controversial. 

(As an aside...  comments about the skills themselves are almost exactly the opposite: everyone seems to like them and can see ways to use them in PVE, PVP, DPS, tanking and healing, There is a lot of variety that adds good flavor to any build.)

It does involve a lot of travel to out of the way places you wouldn't normally go to (including a couple of trips to Craglorn) and it's a totally separate thing with no tie in to any other in-game activities. Think the Christmas holiday event but multiplied by about 50. 

Bob the skull (Bob is what I call him... a Dresden thing) does give you verbal hints here and there and his voice acting is funny and top notch... so there is that.

If you only play one character you could just grit your teeth once and get it done. I think a lot of the hate is projecting doing it multiple times on multiple characters.

There is one positive though, IMO. The Mage's, Fighter's and Undaunted skill lines are too trivial to get accepted into the guild and unlock the skill line: you just talk to someone for 3 seconds. In this one you have to close the first 9 time rifts just to unlock it so there's more of a sense of proving yourself worthy and that's not a bad thing.

/shrug

You guys will just have to see for yourselves when it goes live.
    YashaX

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430
    Having to explore, find things without a map.  The Horror... The Horror!!
    pantaro

I self identify as a monkey.

• immodiumimmodium Member RarePosts: 2,610
    Iselin said:

Bob the skull (Bob is what I call him... a Dresden thing)
    This was the first thing I thought of when you mentioned talking skull.

gervaise1pantaro

• ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,395
    mgilbrtsn said:
    Having to explore, find things without a map.  The Horror... The Horror!!
    If the folks who play ESO wanted Old School, the developers wouldn't have had to change the game to fit the actual player base:   Morrowind, Oblivion, and Skyrim ES fans.

Grindy is grindy.

Personally I found that the Oblivion portal grind became completely boring.   

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

• ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,395
    immodium said:
    Iselin said:

Morte from Planescape Torment for me....
    MadFrenchie

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    Iselin said:

They're not quite that bad... yet. Give them time (PS I hope they don't read your post.)

But their marketing department is also getting a lot of negative feedback on the PTS due to a couple of changes:

• That Crown Store ad you get once a day or when they add something new is happening on every log-in of every character on the PTS... and they supersized it to take up almost the whole screen.
    • One of the new things included in the Crown Crates for Summerset is motif pages - not books, just pages - for a new motif. Someone in the forums made a good crack about that one: "What next, you get just a leg of a mount and then a head until you can assemble the whole mount?" :)
    I forwarded it to Mr. Firor for you. ;)

• SaunZSaunZ Member UncommonPosts: 472
    DING!!  Level 10 Psijic!!!

I thought it was kinda fun... that talking auger/skull/thing... that was a blast!

Sz  :)
    SaunZ said:
    DING!!  Level 10 Psijic!!!

I thought it was kinda fun... that talking auger/skull/thing... that was a blast!

Sz  :)
    Yeah I have 4 characters at level 10 Psijic so far. It was kinda, sorta fun the first time... level up 3 more alts and then we'll talk :)

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

just started playing ESO again and there is this crazy part of me who just wants to buy Summerset just so i can have an opinion on this lol i would be one of those folks that is kinda sick of things just handed to players and the rush mentality that goes on in modern triple A mmos,but I'm also the guy who bought ESO at launch and always quit cause i just got sick of questing so im beyond curious how when i do this what my reaction would be
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163
    I finished this quest-line, you get to keep a skull for a housing decoration.
    pantaro
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163
    edited July 2018
    immodium said:
    Iselin said:

Morte from Planescape Torment for me....
    One of Guybrush's dialog choices is, "Can I call you BOB?" All these years and I never got that until I saw @Iselin 's comment about the Dresden files. xD
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter