Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Russian IP Blocks Keeping Players from the Games They Love - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited April 2018 in News & Features Discussion

imageRussian IP Blocks Keeping Players from the Games They Love - MMORPG.com

Nuke it from orbit, it’s the only way to be sure! It might be a fantastic way to deal with your alien infestation but probably is not the sort of finesse you want when administering an IT issue. Unfortunately for a number of video games and the players who love them, the Russian Federal Service for Supervision of Communications appears to have its finger on the big red button.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• Vorch21Vorch21 Member UncommonPosts: 58
    oooh those FSB and Roskomnadzor...
  • JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849
    edited April 2018
    This is CNN
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

• Mange1Mange1 Member UncommonPosts: 266
    Can someone put this political post into meme form so I can understand it?
    JeffSpicoliScot
  • mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430

Mange1 said:

Trump did it.
    JeffSpicoli3domWraithoneElquinTacticalZombehPhrywingood

I self identify as a monkey.

• JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849

Mange1 said:

Vote democrat in 2020 or the Russians will take away your games
    KyleraninfomatzWraithoneLife2vAgent_JosephElquin
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

• SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    edited April 2018
    It'd be nice to be able to discuss things without having it turn into the normal bull we face every day just by turning on the TV. What I learned from the article are the facts of the situation and after reading Ed's work, I feel pretty damned sorry for the people being affected by government intrusion into their gaming and social lives. It's always the innocent bystanders who get shit on by the pissing matches between international politicos.

How about a bit of empathy for fellow travelers in the game worlds you inhabit since this is, you know, a goddamned gaming site? FFS.
    [Deleted User]AlbatroesJeffSpicoli[Deleted User]bartoni33someforumguyWraithoneJeroKaneLiljnamodusand 5 others.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,101
    I feel sorry for Russian gamers.
    SBFord[Deleted User]Whiteshade92infomatzLiljnaAgent_JosephTacticalZombehwingood
    Chamber of Chains
  • suddenspiralsuddenspiral Member UncommonPosts: 8
    From my very basic understanding, Substratum decentralized web would be a great solution to issues like this. Hopefully it’s not too far off.
    SBFord[Deleted User]
  • rubydragon5rubydragon5 Member UncommonPosts: 693
    This wave of bans seriously worries me, im a US citzen and live in the usa, but its almost like they dont want anyone able to communicate with the outside world, im praying im very wrong but I see the start of bad things happening.
    SBFord

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508

cheyane said:

I actually don't feel sorry, it's a Cold War thing I guess.

[Deleted User]ArskaaaLife2vKeller

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• RosenborgRosenborg Member UncommonPosts: 162
    This wave of bans seriously worries me, im a US citzen and live in the usa, but its almost like they dont want anyone able to communicate with the outside world, im praying im very wrong but I see the start of bad things happening.

The start of bad things happening, begun like, 18 years ago.
  • MMORPGtesterMMORPGtester Member UncommonPosts: 96
    Blocking there own from the rest of the world. Should the world not be blocking them? They must have a lie out, So they are trying to control all information fed to them?
    JeffSpicoliLife2vElquin

• 3dom3dom Member RarePosts: 889

cheyane said:

cheyane said:

You shouldn't, 76% of them (or their parents) have voted for this president and his government just few weeks ago, they get exactly what they wanted and deserve.
    AllerleirauhinfomatzArskaaaViterzgirLife2vDakeru

Thank you for your time!

• Dixi01Dixi01 Member UncommonPosts: 54
    edited April 2018
    I can confirm that mmorpg.com still blocked in Russia, since 17-apr-2018 :-(
    And majority of Russian audience of mmorpg.com was quite surprised on that day. WTF?!?! This site is not about piracy, politics, "illegal telecommunications" or any other ***p, that rus government typically blocks...
    Those Russians, who access it now, using some work around like VPN.
    SBFordinfomatzDakeru
    edited April 2018
    3dom said:

You shouldn't, 76% of them (or their parents) have voted for this president and his government just few weeks ago, they get exactly what they wanted and deserve.
    First off, and as it is here in the good ol' USA, not everyone votes. We barely scraped over 50% in 2016. 

Secondly, when I started gaming, I had this myopic nationalistic view of every other country on the planet. Over the years, I met new people, decent people from around the world. You know what I discovered? They're not all that different from me. They have hopes and dreams for a good life for themselves and their families as I do. They have jobs and work hard, have children, go to church, save money for a better PC and love gaming just like me.  I learned to appreciate different cultures and different views of the world than my own.

The beauty of the Internet is that it lets us meet people we would never have had the chance to know in a former age in time. We can form connections, friendships, relationships with people well outside our own borders. We can provide understanding about our country and learn from them about theirs. All of that teaches empathy and provides the context that we're all part of the great masses who are subject to the whim of international politics and those who are in power. 

It's through understanding and empathy and resistance to the notion that "all" < insert country name here > are evil that we become better, fairer, gentler and more understanding citizens of the world. Generalizations like that "all" are "whatever" always lead to horrific events. If we continue to apply a narrow and biased world mindset without trying to understand those who are different we will see the world descend into another cataclysmic event.

I choose to keep trying, to keep learning, and to keep my hopes alive for a better world for those I love no matter where they live.
    Post edited by SBFord on
    3dommaskedweaselGrunty[Deleted User]ioshileeinfomatzCelciussuddenspiralimmodiumBasherXand 11 others.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

edited April 2018
    Dixi01 said:
    I can confirm that mmorpg.com still blocked in Russia, since 17-apr-2018 :-(
    And majority of Russian audience of mmorpg.com was quite surprised on that day. WTF?!?! This site is not about piracy, politics, "illegal telecommunications" or any other ***p, that rus government typically blocks...
    Those Russians, who access it now, using some work around like VPN.
    Let's hope saner minds prevail and that this is over soon. <3
    ScotPanther2103[Deleted User]wingood

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• MeleconMelecon Member UncommonPosts: 74
    edited April 2018

SBFord said:

3dom said:

First off, and as it is here in the good ol' USA, not everyone votes. We barely scraped over 50% in 2016. 

Secondly, when I started gaming, I had this myopic nationalistic view of every other country on the planet. Over the years, I met new people, decent people from around the world. You know what I discovered? They're not all that different from me. They have hopes and dreams for a good life for themselves and their families as I do. They have jobs and work hard, have children, go to church, save money for a better PC and love gaming just like me.  I learned to appreciate different cultures and different views of the world than my own.

The beauty of the Internet is that it lets us meet people we would never have had the chance to know in a former age in time. We can form connections, friendships, relationships with people well outside our own borders. We can provide understanding about our country and learn from them about theirs. All of that teaches empathy and provides the context that we're all part of the great masses who are subject to the whim of international politics and those who are in power. 

It's through understanding and empathy and resistance to the notion that "all" < insert country name here > are evil. Generalizations like that lead to horrific events. If we continue to apply a narrow and biased world mindset without trying to understand those who are different we will see the world descend into another cataclysmic event.

I choose to keep trying, to keep learning, and to keep my hopes alive for a better world for those I love no matter where they live.

That's the issue in a nutshell Ms Ford, "most" not all Americans (and you can find them in any country) exercise their fundamental human right to be ignorant. There is nothing we can do about it but be patient and hope one day they wake up and learn, but until then we just hope they don't take us down with them.
    bartoni33SinsaiKyleraninfomatzLife2vPanther2103wingood
  • GruugGruug Member RarePosts: 1,791

SBFord said:

It'd be nice to be able to discuss things without having it turn into the normal bull we face every day just by turning on the TV.

What I learned from the article are the facts of the situation and after reading Ed's work, I feel pretty damned sorry for the people being affected by government intrusion into their gaming and social lives. It's always the innocent bystanders who get shit on by the pissing matches between international politicos.

How about a bit of empathy for fellow travelers in the game worlds you inhabit since this is, you know, a goddamned gaming site? FFS.

It sounds somewhat like what Net Neutrality would have eventually brought to the U.S. In the U.S. case, it was going to be a few large ISP providers that would determine traffic initially but could have expanded into full blown government intervention (as the regs were written).
    infomatzCelciusTacticalZombeh

Let's party like it is 1863!

• someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088
    edited April 2018
    So if I understand this right :

- Russian government demands encryption keys from Telegram (Whatsapp alternative, much used in rest of world too) devs and Telegram devs can't/refuse to hand them over (I completely agree with that!)
    - Russian government then tries to block their servers.
    - Telegram engineers route the Telegram communications through other routes because they know their business.
    - Russian government goes berserk and starts to block willy nilly.
    - As result online games (amongst other services) are blocked now too.

This is seriously messed up in the way Russian government tries to strongarm Telegram company. At the cost of their citizens. But yeah, what's new.
    I do feel for the gamers there though (and telegram users for that matter).
    Ozmodan
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508
    DMKano said:
    TimEisen said:

Kyleran said:

cheyane said:

I actually don't feel sorry, it's a Cold War thing I guess.

It can be a dangerous, deceptive game to judge a people by the actions of their leaders.

Bingo.
    Doesn't change the fact if a shooting war breaks out their gamers will be trying to kill our gamers..

One of which would be my son...

So yeah.....

[Deleted User]Psym0nGrimtuthjgDuffay

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• ohgodtherats707ohgodtherats707 Member UncommonPosts: 85

SBFord said:

3dom said:

It's through understanding and empathy and resistance to the notion that "all" < insert country name here > are evil that we become better, fairer, gentler and more understanding citizens of the world. Generalizations like that "all" are "whatever" always lead to horrific events. If we continue to apply a narrow and biased world mindset without trying to understand those who are different we will see the world descend into another cataclysmic event.

I don't Think so.... Long before World war 2 they have been crapping all over their people. I cant even count on my or your hands and feet how many mass graves they find from Stalin's rule. Not to mention black sight gulags still in operation all over that territory. No mam!!! Sorry but they have been beaten into submission long before anyone of us here today have been on this planet. Russia should serve as a cautionary tale
  • NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    Mean while in Saudi Arabia women got to drive in 2017 and Black Panther is the first movie to show in 35 years...
    [Deleted User]infomatzKyleran

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

• AnnaTSAnnaTS Member UncommonPosts: 600
    I feel sorry for the people who may use gaming as a way to escape from how life isn't that great, I live a country were we have democracy but even i have depression and one thing i like to do is play games to escape from my problems.

So i really feel for the people who know that their elections are a sham and don't support their government, I also feel for the Russian LGBT community especially with what has been reported recently.

But what i found strange is when i used to play on private Russian servers of Allods online, Was that some of the young people supported Putin.
    SBFord
  • FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    When it's easier to get access to stolen American identities and credit card info than it is to play a PC game...

Kyleran
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • KnightFalzKnightFalz Member EpicPosts: 4,172

AnnaTS said:

But what i found strange is when i used to play on private Russian servers of Allods online, Was that some of the young people supported Putin.

It can be difficult to understand the rationale of those that lived their entire lives in circumstances radically alien to our own. One must remember such differences may lead to attitudes and perceptions that don't align well with ours, such that choices they consider reasonable may to us seem bizarre.
    [Deleted User]infomatzSBFord
This discussion has been closed.