Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cost comparison between "card game" games

anemoanemo Member RarePosts: 1,903
Every so often I get a nice temptation to get into MTG, though due to my crazy schedule it's always tempting to go online...  As part of that look I found a nice little guide for the prices you can expect for competitive decks, that also includes other games:  https://www.mtggoldfish.com/articles/how-expensive-is-magic-online  

For the interesting part for TLDR-ers

MTGO: about half of what paper cards costs (but still $100, to $X,XXX).   With some fun options for cheaper decks and play styles (unofficial penny dreadful touries,  official pauper play styles, and just playing with people that are sane).
Hearthstone: $106
Eternal: $80
Hex: $142
Pokemon Online: Too contorted to easily measure, but likely cheapest.

I guess that explains why companies were so fast to try to spam their own card game, that even when Valve wasn't bothering to make games they managed to find the muster to announce their own card game.   Since you'll end up with two types of players, those that "play forever" to get their unlocks (not an option for MTGO) and those that pay the price of two to three games for your one game.

While these games do play at "MMO scale", I wish someone would release an actual MMORPG that offers the complexity/thoughtfulness of a cardgame for their combat.  Not everything needs to be designed for looking good with particle effects and twitchy gameplay.

Practice doesn't make perfect, practice makes permanent.

"At one point technology meant making tech that could get to the moon, now it means making tech that could get you a taxi."

Comments

• EldurianEldurian Member EpicPosts: 2,736
    I haven't had time to test it yet but I'm currently in the beta for something called "MTG: Arena"

If it's anything like MTG:Duels that they had on the phone you can earn the currency needed for more booster packs by either playing the game or swiping. It seems to be a more advanced version of duels from the very little I know about it so far.

I played Duels from shortly after it's release until they stopped creating content for it, never put a single dollar in, and had a blast playing it. Made some very effective and deadly decks.

So I'd keep your eyes open for MTG Arena. May be a very cheap way to get your Magic fix.
  • CryomatrixCryomatrix Member EpicPosts: 3,223
    I need to learn magic the gathering, anyone recommend a good website to learn it. Is it like that card game in Witcher 3? or Hearthstone?

Cryomatrix
    [Deleted User]
    Catch me streaming at twitch.tv/cryomatrix
    You can see my sci-fi/WW2 book recommendations. 
    edited April 2018
    I need to learn magic the gathering, anyone recommend a good website to learn it. Is it like that card game in Witcher 3? or Hearthstone?

Cryomatrix
    I can't say for either of those since I have never played them. If you have a local gaming store available that would be the recommended place to learn. If not, MTG:Duels for the phone would be a good App. They are no longer updating it but it will teach you the basics and let you practice for free.

I was an experienced magic player coming in to using that app and it made me a lot stronger through more frequent practice. The downside is since it is no longer being updated it's harder to find matches these days, hence why I am interested to see if Arena fills the Duels sized hole in my life.
  • sunandshadowsunandshadow Member RarePosts: 1,985

Cryomatrix
    More like Hearthstone (and Eternal) than Gwent, at any rate.
    I want to help design and develop a PvE-focused, solo-friendly, sandpark MMO which combines crafting, monster hunting, and story.  So PM me if you are starting one.
  • cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100
    These card games are always something I have been meaning to get into but every time I start watching a video on them my mind wanders then I end up shutting the video down.

I must learn how to play them but the real physical card games are too rich for me. I was talking about games like Hearthstone which was the videos I watched. I guess if I found a good video that makes the explanation more interesting and enjoyable I may actually learn to play. 
    Chamber of Chains
  • WalkinGlennWalkinGlenn Member RarePosts: 451
    I think Pokemon has the best value. All physical booster packs ans theme decks come with an online code you can use to get the same pack type or theme deck in their online game. 
    I think Pokemon has the best value. All physical booster packs ans theme decks come with an online code you can use to get the same pack type or theme deck in their online game. 
    I really wish that was the way MTG worked. You can usually find so many people to play with physically. Personally the charm of a TCG is playing it physically with other people IMO but online you face so many more opponents who have so many clever tactics. Only playing against the same people over and over you can only learn from them what they know.

I like having access to both modes of play.
  • Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766

Cryomatrix
    There are a lot of resources to learn, I would suggest playing something like MTG duels just to get an idea of how it plays. I've played the physical game for about a dozen years, and I learned from going into a card shop and watching people play but if you want online resources you could always go to  that series. 

There's a wiki as well and a bunch of online resources to see specific rules, as the cards tend to have a lot more depth than normal CCG's. 
    Cryomatrix
  • Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
    anemo said:
    Every so often I get a nice temptation to get into MTG, though due to my crazy schedule it's always tempting to go online...  As part of that look I found a nice little guide for the prices you can expect for competitive decks, that also includes other games:  https://www.mtggoldfish.com/articles/how-expensive-is-magic-online  

For the interesting part for TLDR-ers

MTGO: about half of what paper cards costs (but still $100, to $X,XXX).   With some fun options for cheaper decks and play styles (unofficial penny dreadful touries,  official pauper play styles, and just playing with people that are sane).
    Hearthstone: $106
    Eternal: $80
    Hex: $142
    Pokemon Online: Too contorted to easily measure, but likely cheapest.

I guess that explains why companies were so fast to try to spam their own card game, that even when Valve wasn't bothering to make games they managed to find the muster to announce their own card game.   Since you'll end up with two types of players, those that "play forever" to get their unlocks (not an option for MTGO) and those that pay the price of two to three games for your one game.

While these games do play at "MMO scale", I wish someone would release an actual MMORPG that offers the complexity/thoughtfulness of a cardgame for their combat.  Not everything needs to be designed for looking good with particle effects and twitchy gameplay.

The problem with competitive decks is that you are talking elite level. Usually there are decks in each game that are budget that suffice until you can earn enough in game currency to get more packs or better cards (excluding MTGO as you have to physically buy the cards). MTGO offers the trading system though, so you could potentially get better cards and decks by trading for them, which is extremely unique for online card games, as I don't think I've ever seen another one where you can trade cards. 
  • ananitananit Member RarePosts: 293
    one other thing to note and it's extremely important imo is that you can cash out of mtgo and you can't do that on the other digital card games.
    i sold my entire collection of mtgo cards and made $2k with roughly $400 spent over a period of 2 or 3 years. (from innistrad until KTK, granted i didn't play much nor did i try to invest in anything. had i done that i probably would have made over 5k maybe more)

regarding mtg:arena, i've been playing since the first invite wave a couple months ago and while it is much more polished than mtgo (not really hard), they really need to make the progression much better. it is extremely slow to build up your collection.
    it's mtg and it's unmatched within the card games in my opinion and despite not being a big fan of standard, i've been enjoying playing magic again a lot.
    i would love to have access to modern but it sadly will never happen and will forever be gated behind the abomination that is the mtgo client.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    edited April 2018
    Well there is some distinct disparity between pricing and reality.
    I have played ALL of these tcg games and i know the costs.
    Using Hearthstone as an example,your not getting anywhere with one deck,matter of fact if you want to go into tournaments you'll need pretty much ha top tier deck from almost every class.

W/o getting into the math,i have done it before but to get even one solid deck is more like $200 but the VALUE from that 200 is far less than MTG where you can actually sell your cards instead of the 5 dust Blizzard gives you or the 400 dust for a legendary that takes 3 of those.To get 3 takes a lot of packs 60-70 just to get 1 legendary crafted but as i said the value is very low considering the total dust versus  money spent.

There is another distinct difference within the MTG structure.Doing drafts you keep your cards.so you might need 3 packs to enter but can come away with a rare if you want to pick it.Win these small drafts and come away with several packs,in less time that it takes to get those packs doing quests in HS.
    Furthermore  in HS there is no UI built in the game so a VERY lazy Blizzard team that has already had 3 years to get it right.

Oh it goes far deeper.

So in HS you actually need to WIN to get that gold to buy packs,with nothing to start it might take you forever just to complete one quest.Do people really have 6 hours a day to play for 100 gold to buy one pack,then you only get 1 new quest each day for maybe 40-60 gold.

A game i actually found fun and didn't need to spend a lot was Duelyst.
    Still bottom line is MTG is the best overall design and you actually OWN your cards.Now i don't know how this new online Arena works,i only played two games and wasn't impressed at the difference in levels /cards from a noob rank 1 to rank 4/5,you literally have no chance.However it is p2w in every single one of these tcg's so going in your expect it but imo it isn't right.

BruceYee

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,351
    After some investigation, I have concluded that you can get a viable deck for Solitaire for several dollars.
    anemoKyleran
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Quizzical said:
    After some investigation, I have concluded that you can get a viable deck for Solitaire for several dollars.
    I've heard that same deck can be used to play spades or even Bridge.

But I prefer Crazy 88s.

;)

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• BruceYeeBruceYee Member EpicPosts: 2,556
    edited April 2018
    You should try Elder Scrolls Legends. Made by the same people who made Eternal.
    Can anyone suggest a good video that explains Hearthstone please.
    Chamber of Chains
  • VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    cheyane said:
    Playing Heartstone's tutorials is a much better option. If you don't get the game through that, then I don't think watching videos can help you either.

Vrika said:
    cheyane said:
    Playing Heartstone's tutorials is a much better option. If you don't get the game through that, then I don't think watching videos can help you either.
    Ahh I see I always seem to lose interest in those videos for beginners. I will try again.
    Chamber of Chains
  • CryomatrixCryomatrix Member EpicPosts: 3,223

Cryomatrix
    There are a lot of resources to learn, I would suggest playing something like MTG duels just to get an idea of how it plays. I've played the physical game for about a dozen years, and I learned from going into a card shop and watching people play but if you want online resources you could always go to  that series. 

There's a wiki as well and a bunch of online resources to see specific rules, as the cards tend to have a lot more depth than normal CCG's. 
    That was really helpful, thank you very much. 

Sincerely, 

Cryomatrix
    Catch me streaming at twitch.tv/cryomatrix
    You can see my sci-fi/WW2 book recommendations.