Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do you research a new game before playing it, or just dive in and hope for the best?

AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
I used to dive right in. But after a lot of bad experiences doing that (and a few really good ones), now I always learn what I can beforehand. If there is early access or a free trial, so much the better.

While I have come to feel this is prudent, I do miss the surprise of logging in without any idea of what to expect. 

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

[Deleted User]MendelInteritusdeniter

Comments

• JakdstripperJakdstripper Member RarePosts: 2,410
    edited April 2018
    i usually look it up first on Youtube or Twitch. if its on Twitch i might ask the streamer some questions about it. if it still seems like something i might enjoy, i'll look it up on their website. After that it comes down to the price really. if its a full priced (60 to 80$) then i'll do more research. go to the game's forums, look up reviews, Steam reviews, might even make some threads here on mmorpg.com asking questions, etc. 
    then i decide if i want to spend the big bucks for it, or just wait for a sale. usually i wait for a sale :P .... the game has to be pretty damn special for me to pay full price. 

if it's under 20$ i might just try it. 
    [Deleted User]
  • Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
    If it's a new game and not on sale, I will usually research what it is or how the general reception is on it / watch a few twitch streams or youtube videos of it. If it's a heavy story based game I won't look up anything spoiler filled, to keep it fresh.  Or if a site I like reviews it I can get a general idea as well. If it's on sale no, I will usually just look at some screens and buy it if I was interested. 
    [Deleted User]
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100
    I do hours and hours  of research before I play properly. I may try it but once I decide to play I spend a lot of time searching the web for information and watching videos for a new player of the game.
    [Deleted User]Scot
    Chamber of Chains
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    Depends on my mood and the initial "impression" of the title. I usually watch gameplay or something regardless of my mood but if I'm trying to be serious about a title, I typically try to research the "end game" before I waste too much of my time.
  • CodehxCodehx Member UncommonPosts: 10
    In the year 2018, I do as much research as I can before even downloading the installer of a game.  Given the number of "me too" clones, blatant asset flips, and just utter garbage that has filled the market, I think anyone just "blind" installing an MMORPG is just doing themselves a huge disservice. 
    ScotMendelGorwe
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Check out reviews, youtube videos, twitch streams if there is one, there is a surprising amount of information available these days if you look for it.
    As for Early Access and Pre Orders though, just no.
    These days i rarely even buy a game during the launch period, but wait a few weeks to see what happens, or a few months if i don't think its worth the initial price and as i am not so much in a rush to jump into new games anyway i can afford to be patient and save money if i don't think the initial price is a valid one, Sea of Thieves springs to mind here as a more recent example of an overpriced game that has 'issues' though honestly i am not sure the game is worth buying once it hits $20, maybe?  :/
    MrMelGibson[Deleted User]ScotGorwe
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    Research, research and then do some more research, as I only play after launch that helps you know what you are getting into. This saves time and money, because you could spend a few hours in game before realising its not for you. It does not take a few hours to research a game.
    [Deleted User]Gorwe
  • MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,033
    edited April 2018
    It's case by case basis.  If it's something I've been watching and anticipating I usually just buy it.  If it's a title I wasn't aware of I usually check some reviews and ask a few friends who's opinion I trust.  But with the steam and Origins easy refunds Its not as big of a deal. 

I don't buy EA(early access) or beta games.  I have so many game options, I can patiently wait till launch.  
    [Deleted User]
  • SiveriaSiveria Member UncommonPosts: 1,419
    Been burned by a few games by just jumping in, so now I always do some research first before I go into it. If its a free2play mmorpg for example the first thing I look into is how pay2win it is, if its too p2w heavy I won't even bother looking into it anymore and drop it.

Being a pessimist is a win-win pattern of thinking. If you're a pessimist (I'll admit that I am!) you're either:

A. Proven right (if something bad happens)

or

B. Pleasantly surprised (if something good happens)

Either way, you can't lose! Try it out sometime!

• SandmanjwSandmanjw Member RarePosts: 527
    Mostly research the heck out of games.

Mostly...because i have humble monthly and get lots of games for a steal so some i just load up and try them out and see if i want to invest any time in them. Others are clearly not my thing and will never get installed.
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    If it costs money I research it, if its free i dive in if it looks good.
    TsiyaMrMelGibsonAmatheMendelGorwe
  • WylfWylf Member UncommonPosts: 376
    If it costs money I research it, if its free i dive in if it looks good.
    Good short answer, I concur.
  • jamorganjamorgan Member CommonPosts: 10
    Nowadys a prefer chacking on the reviews before purchasing a copy. I don't want to waste my money on something that I won't be able to enjoy. 
    Scot
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,353
    I typically research games very extensively before playing them.  Sometimes I'll spend hours looking through wikis or fansites before playing a game.  Sometimes I'll spend hours researching a game and then decide not to play it.
    [Deleted User]MrMelGibsonScotGorwe
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    For a MMORPG? You bet. I will buy Triumph studios soon the be revealed turned based game whatever it is though, I like their games.

MMOs tend to last me a long time so I want to know if it is worth the bother or not, it have nothing to do with money (but for me to crowdfund something takes a lot of research, I ain't funding something unless it seems to be my kind of game) but time and I hate wasting 2 weeks on a MMO and then notice that only the first 20 levels (out of 80-100) was fun and the rest were pathetic.

Well, it is a little about money because I don't want to give money to crappy game designers. I want to support people that makes good games, not bad. Wasting 60 bucks on something stupid is not an issue but giving money to people that hardly should be encouraged to make games is bad.
    [Deleted User]MrMelGibson
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    edited April 2018
    Codehx said:
    In the year 2018, I do as much research as I can before even downloading the installer of a game.  Given the number of "me too" clones, blatant asset flips, and just utter garbage that has filled the market, I think anyone just "blind" installing an MMORPG is just doing themselves a huge disservice. 
    jamorgan said:
    Nowadys a prefer chacking on the reviews before purchasing a copy. I don't want to waste my money on something that I won't be able to enjoy. 

Just welcoming you to the Pub forum, we get so few "common" posters here, most seem to start in game specific forums and are green before they come here!
  • JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849
    I research now, My steam backlog was starting to get ridiculous with games i haven't even touched. I use to just buy after watching the 2 trailers on steam now i read reviews and check out the forums 
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

• immodiumimmodium Member RarePosts: 2,610
    Most of the time I'll read up about the game first, always have. Before the internet I'd make sure I'd find a magazine with a review to get some information about it.

• CryomatrixCryomatrix Member EpicPosts: 3,223
    1) if not playing Path of exile, if passes then step 2
    2) look at steam, read reviews, if passes then step 3
    3) look at YouTube gameplay and/or twitch, if passes then step 4
    4) if it is free or there is a demo then download and try game, if not, wait for a sale, if passes then step 5
    5) choose only 1 or 2 titles that have passed step 5 as I only play 1 game at a time. 
    6) if I don't like then return within timelimit.

Cryomatrix
    Scot
    Catch me streaming at twitch.tv/cryomatrix
    You can see my sci-fi/WW2 book recommendations. 
  • berlightberlight Member UncommonPosts: 345
    Usually I'll try anything I can get into if it's free. If I have to buy it of course ill search before. Cheers

Beta tester maniac

• cameltosiscameltosis Member LegendaryPosts: 3,706
    For MMOs, I do a lot of research. 

i get my enjoyment from endgame activities, both pvp, raiding and the community / social aspects. These features don't tend to be well reported and the mechanics that make these features interesting are even less well reported. I don't want to spend weeks / months slogging through boring leveling, only to find out the endgame is fundamentally flawed due to shit power gaps, or an engine that can't support large numbers, or a lack of social features, or whatever it may be. 

For single player games I'm less fussy. I do tend to research most games at least a little bit but I'm definitely swayed a bit too easily by popular games. For example, I bought rocket league after seeing endless reviews/articles about awesome games, despite the fact that I hate sports games. Played it for a few hours and yep, it sucked, god knows why I bought it. Same thing with Elite: Dangerous. Read all the awesome reviews and stories but didn't actually watch any gameplay, developers seemed solid so I bought it. But, I haven't even installed it, let alone played it. 
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,003
    edited April 2018
    I do cursory research.

Just enough to know if it's something I might like. Since what I enjoy might not be the same for others, I don't give review scores much weight. I do give "what" people say more weight.

So if someone says a game is grindy, non-issue. If it's long? Very much a non-issue.

If people complain about subjective things "I didn't like the story/They didn't do the IP justice compared to the last installment" then that's also a non issue.

I don't like having too much spoiled because if I research the heck out of something it will lose a lot of "discovery".
    Post edited by Sovrath on
    MadFrenchie
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • Moxom914Moxom914 Member RarePosts: 731
    i just like to know the basics. what kind of combat, how are the controls. thats about it.
  • MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    I like to research.  Specifically, I like to hear reports from regular people (not associated with the developer) that have had first-hand information.  I'm not going to be the first adopter in any game anymore.  If I'm moderately interested in a game based on the game's marketing, I will read reviews.  I generally don't watch videos, not my thing.

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.