Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Game Sales! + Game Sales! = Game Backlogs

AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432
With the ease of game shopping these days (click on website, look at games, click to add to cart, click to buy), all the sales that seem almost continuous, with specific websites that track games and their pricing fluctuations, is it any wonder so many gamers have huge backlogs of games now? Or are you a lucky one that plays all their games as you purchase them?

Now, for the reminisce part: I remember the days before digital downloading. I'd physically go to the local game store (usually Wal-Mart) and buy 1, maybe 2 games. I head back home, install the games, and sit down to try them out. Rarely did I have games on my PC that I had not played.

Good Old Games aka: GoG has been either a godsend or a devilpit, I'm not sure which. I have used the site to "repurchase" many of the old games I once loved playing or missed out when they first released. Unfortunately, the also have a good selection of newer games, even some "pre-purchase" titles. I have currently 223 games in my GoG library, over half of them I have never played, half of the rest I played long ago but have yet to replay. That's a lot of games yet to be played from this one website alone. Steam is not as bad, but my game collection there is about the same percentage-wise.

There is such a glut of new games coming out almost every day. I look at my backlog and think I may never need buy another game for the rest of my life. Yet I do :)

Where do you sit with the accessibility of games today and how big is your backlog, if any? Have you found any "magic answers" to help keep your games under control? Have newer games helped facilitate this by being less "in depth" or "replayable", generally speaking?

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
- FARGIN_WAR

Wellspring

Comments

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,991
    I have a wish list on Steam that has about 30 games on it, I cannot put any more games on my SSD without compromising its space. For a couple of months I had games I had paid for but not downloaded, but that backlog is cleared now.

I do play games to the very end, if I think it was good enough to buy, then its going to be good enough to finish. I rarely replay games, if ever, this is one of the reasons I am so annoyed about what I call Ever Early Access. I don't play a MMO and then come back to it in six months time when it has had a big update. Launch damn you.

I find the replay-ability of games to be very shallow. If it has a multiplayer element I will always try that usually for quite some time. But once its gone its gone.
    WellspringAlBQuirky
  • Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,768
    I think once games went digital and sales were extremely prominent, most backlogs jumped massive amounts (at least mine did).

I was like you, I would buy one game when I went out, go home, play the hell out of it, and when I was done maybe go buy another or play it longer. I think from when I started playing computer games until digital games came out, I had played every single game I had ever bought at least for a few hours. 

Also if there were games I really wanted to play that I didn't want to buy, I would go to the local LAN center and play them there. 

Once steam came out, and digital games became more prominent, and sales were outrageously good, my brain broke or something. Because I now have almost 600 games on my steam account alone and I have maybe played around 200 of them. I keep buying games on sale, even if I have no urge to ever play them just because I might have heard one time that it was fun. 

The same thing happened with my playstation account and Xbox account where I have this huge backlog due to sales. 

I hope to at some point just go through all my single player games and beat them one by one, but I know I will always end up playing some MMORPG or multiplayer game instead. 

I do like the fact that there are so many great games coming out, and that there are a lot more resources to see how good a game is prior to purchase, because back in the day you would be stuck with whatever crap you decided to buy. 

AlBQuirky[Deleted User]
  • WellspringWellspring Member EpicPosts: 1,464
    I've stopped buying new games for a bit. I don't have enough time to keep up. And with our first kid OTW, I'm sure it's only going to get worse.

I bought Witcher 3 about a year after it launched, and still haven't finished it yet. I also have Kingdom Come Deliverance, but have only played through the prologue. Not to mention about 20 other games on steam that I have yet to either play or complete.

On top of that, I have 5 MMORPG's on deck that I've KickStarted, which haven't launch yet.

I also have the Nintendo Classic Mini and the Super Nintendo Mini, which gives me like 55 games I need to play.

Most recently though, I was gifted a Nintendo Switch, so I've been playing BoTW. Then when that's done, I have Mario Odyssey.

So with my backlog and KS frontlog(?), it will be a while here before I buy a new PC game. Unless it's a must have game, but I don't see any of those on the horizon.
    psychosiz1AlBQuirky
    --------------------------------------------
  • ShaighShaigh Member EpicPosts: 2,142
    I got one game on my backlog and two games on my wishlist while currently playing horizon zero dawn. Next game my backlog will be identical with the only difference is that i will play poe2
    AlBQuirky
    Iselin: And the next person who says "but it's a business, they need to make money" can just go fuck yourself.
  • eddieg50eddieg50 Member UncommonPosts: 1,809
    i have about 150 games on steam and 25 or so on gog and played about half of them, but I have only completed a few. The damn sales keep distracting me, so far I have only completed Mass effect 2 and 3, Dragon age origins, x-com enemy within and its dlc, x-com 2 and I think a few others. I have powered through the main story line in Witcher 3 and have only to play the DLC's ,but now of course Greenmangaming had a sale on Kingdom come------- 
    AlBQuirky
  • Flyte27Flyte27 Member RarePosts: 4,574
    I haven't bought many games recently.  Most don't seem to interest me story or character wise.  I have tried most games and have time to play them, but if I play for a bit and am not getting any fun out of it I'll stop.  Most of the time this is what happens.  The last two series that really grabbed me were Uncharted 1, 2, 3 and the Witcher games.  There were a spattering of other games like Skyrim and Far Cry 3 in between.  Lately, I've been trying out RPG maker games.  They are somewhat fun as they sometimes have amusing dialog you wouldn't find in standard games.  Often they are indie games and I find them outside of the normal retailers like Steam and GoG.  Occasionally I'll go back and revisit an old game like KOTOR and Baldur's Gate, but I haven't felt the desire lately.  Interestingly enough I've been buying old movies from the 80s which I watched as a young person and enjoyed that.  It's a different experience watching them now.  They are cheap movies, but they have good music and cheesy dialog that makes them enjoyable for me.  I feel the same way in terms of old games.  I always liked campy B quality stuff.
    AlBQuirky
    The useful advice I am getting from the posts so far:

Play more, Buy less. 
    AlBQuirky
  • AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149
    I've stopped buying new games for a bit. I don't have enough time to keep up. And with our first kid OTW, I'm sure it's only going to get worse.

I bought Witcher 3 about a year after it launched, and still haven't finished it yet. I also have Kingdom Come Deliverance, but have only played through the prologue. Not to mention about 20 other games on steam that I have yet to either play or complete.

On top of that, I have 5 MMORPG's on deck that I've KickStarted, which haven't launch yet.

I also have the Nintendo Classic Mini and the Super Nintendo Mini, which gives me like 55 games I need to play.

Most recently though, I was gifted a Nintendo Switch, so I've been playing BoTW. Then when that's done, I have Mario Odyssey.

So with my backlog and KS frontlog(?), it will be a while here before I buy a new PC game. Unless it's a must have game, but I don't see any of those on the horizon.
    I am in the same position.  I stopped buying or at least am a lot more selective.  I have 347 games on Steam. . a tonne of Humble bundle keys I have not even activated and a wishlist of about 96 which is mostly EA games I am following and mostly will not purchase.  I think I expect to get Pillars of Eternity 2, maybe Farcry 5 for fun, Warhammer II on sale and Divinity Original Sin 2 at some point. . but I won't even buy that one until I finish the first one.

The light bulb went on when I almost burchased D:OS2 and had barely played the first one.  I won't buy it until I do and then it will likely be 80% off or something :)
    WellspringScotAlBQuirky

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

Aethaeryn said:

I am in the same position.  I stopped buying or at least am a lot more selective.  I have 347 games on Steam. . a tonne of Humble bundle keys I have not even activated and a wishlist of about 96 which is mostly EA games I am following and mostly will not purchase.  I think I expect to get Pillars of Eternity 2, maybe Farcry 5 for fun, Warhammer II on sale and Divinity Original Sin 2 at some point. . but I won't even buy that one until I finish the first one.

The light bulb went on when I almost burchased D:OS2 and had barely played the first one.  I won't buy it until I do and then it will likely be 80% off or something :)
    That's funny you mentioned Divinity Original Sin 1 and 2. Exact same situation here. I have the first one. Played it for a few hours but put it down for something else a while back. The sequel came out and I wanted to get it, but realized I should at least finish the original one first.

One day! haha
    AlBQuirky
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    I have a little over 300 games on steam.  A lot were sales that grouped many together so there are some I will never play as I wanted just a few games from the bundle.  I also have a lot of other games from other digital sellers.  I seldom buy new games as it's easy to wait for them to go on sale if I'm interested.  I'm also starting to look into services that charge a yearly fee to play the games in their library as much as you want without buying them as this may save some money in the long, will see if it works.

I'd never sale my accounts but one day may pass them on to other gamers in the family.

[Deleted User]AlBQuirky

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• cameltosiscameltosis Member LegendaryPosts: 3,707
    My library is nowhere near as big as you guys!

Admittedly, for a very long time I was wary of steam, I didn't like the concept of it. Additionally, for 7 years I played nothing but MMORPGs and would only occasionally buy a console game to play couch-coop with my brother. So, I only jumped on the steam bandwagon in 2014. 

I have about 120 games in my library. Think I've completed maybe 30 of them, tried another 60, and never touched the remaining 30. 

For me, it's a price thing. Due to my time playing nothing but MMOs there were a lot of "great" games that I missed out on. So, when I jumped on the Steam bandwagon I started collecting a lot of these games for very cheap. But, due to low price, I feel much more comfortable stopping playing if I'm not enjoying it, whereas if I'd paid full price I'd probably soldier through. 

A good example is Bioshock. I was in my MMO phase when the series came out so I completely missed it. Picked up 1, 2 and 3 for £10 in a sale. I played maybe 2 hours of the first one, hated it and so never touched the series again. I may come back to it in the future, but probably not. But, in my mind, £10 is cheaper than a cinema ticket, so even though it's a bit of a waste of money I don't feel like I've wasted much. 

But, the rare game I pick up full price I do generally put in a lot of hours and get my money's worth. 

I am also completely fine with the situation. Probably 75% of my library I purchased for less than £10, and I like the idea of being able to come back to games in the future if/when the mood finally takes me. I don't feel guilty about not playing games, instead I am pleased with having so much choice available at my finger tips. I also have enough self control that my spending on games probably averages £20 per month, I spend more on tobacco than I do on gaming, so the convenience of it all isn't ruining my bank account. 
    WellspringAlBQuirky
    Scot said:
    I have a wish list on Steam that has about 30 games on it, I cannot put any more games on my SSD without compromising its space. For a couple of months I had games I had paid for but not downloaded, but that backlog is cleared now.

I do play games to the very end, if I think it was good enough to buy, then its going to be good enough to finish. I rarely replay games, if ever, this is one of the reasons I am so annoyed about what I call Ever Early Access. I don't play a MMO and then come back to it in six months time when it has had a big update. Launch damn you.

I find the replay-ability of games to be very shallow. If it has a multiplayer element I will always try that usually for quite some time. But once its gone its gone.
    I ran into that SSD problem as well. I don't uninstall games that often -- unless of course I'm playing EverQuest 1 again and the only way to break away from the addiction is to uninstall in that brief moment of disgust after an unhealthy binge :)

I have now set the default install directly for Steam to be my slow 1TB hard drive. #RoughingIt
    ScotAlBQuirky
    Scot said:

I ran into that SSD problem as well. I don't uninstall games that often -- unless of course I'm playing EverQuest 1 again and the only way to break away from the addiction is to uninstall in that brief moment of disgust after an unhealthy binge :)

I have now set the default install directly for Steam to be my slow 1TB hard drive. #RoughingIt
    "I have now set the default install directly for Steam to be my slow 1TB hard drive. #RoughingIt"

Noooooooooooo! :D
    WellspringAlBQuirkyPhry
  • CryomatrixCryomatrix Member EpicPosts: 3,223
    I have maybe 3 games I haven't touched that I bought on steam during a sale. I'm very aware of my time limit to play games and the games I haven't touched I wish I didn't buy. Which is why I have a strict new game buy policy.

Even if a game I thought was cool was on a super low sale like thw long dark recently, I still won't buy a game until I'm ready to actually play it. 

AlBQuirky
    Catch me streaming at twitch.tv/cryomatrix
    You can see my sci-fi/WW2 book recommendations. 
    Scot said:
    Scot said:

"I have now set the default install directly for Steam to be my slow 1TB hard drive. #RoughingIt"

You could also buy a large HDD and backup all your steam games to it.  Install them to the SSD when needed.  They install much faster from backup.
    ScotAlBQuirky[Deleted User]
    Flyte27 said:
    Scot said:
    Scot said:

You could also buy a large HDD and backup all your steam games to it.  Install them to the SSD when needed.  They install much faster from backup.
    I did not realise this was possible, is this using "Backup game files" to install from the storage drive to the SSD?

More importantly where do all my poems go if I am using the storage drive for games, I have an awfully big poem collection? (its too hot to be serious guys) :)
    AlBQuirky[Deleted User]
  • Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,407
    edited April 2018
    Scot said:

Pretty much how it goes for me too except maybe I play them slower as my to play list is much larger... :/ gonna die of old age before I get through it!
    AlBQuirky

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

edited April 2018
    Scot said:
    Flyte27 said:
    Scot said:
    Scot said:

I did not realise this was possible, is this using "Backup game files" to install from the storage drive to the SSD?

More importantly where do all my poems go if I am using the storage drive for games, I have an awfully big poem collection? (its too hot to be serious guys) :)
    If you look at the menu at the top of the Steam window and click steam you will see an option called Backup and Restore Games.  From there you should be able to select from the games you have installed on your PC you would like to backup and choose a location to back them up too.  If you choose the option to restore a game you can navigate to the drive/folder you backed the game up too.

Good question on the poems lol.  I can't answer that.  It depends on if the poems are 1byte, 1KB, 1MB, 1GB, or 1TB.  :wink:
    Scot
  • AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432
    Scot said:
    I have to ask... Shallow for the game, or the player?  ;)

I replay RPGs often and good strategy games can be replayed again and again when scenarios differ. 1500+ hours in Morrowind and 2200+ hours in Skyrim. 1000+ hours in Falout 3 and 750+ hours in Fallout: New Vegas. I've played through XCom 2 to multiple endings, and yet have to try an "Ironman" run. I've played lots of hours in Master of Magic and Rail Empires: Iron Dragon, too.

Now heavily written storybook games like Telltale makes, I could never replay. In all honesty, I can't play them through once :)
    Scot

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

AlBQuirky said:
    Scot said:
    I have to ask... Shallow for the game, or the player?  ;)

I replay RPGs often and good strategy games can be replayed again and again when scenarios differ. 1500+ hours in Morrowind and 2200+ hours in Skyrim. 1000+ hours in Falout 3 and 750+ hours in Fallout: New Vegas. I've played through XCom 2 to multiple endings, and yet have to try an "Ironman" run. I've played lots of hours in Master of Magic and Rail Empires: Iron Dragon, too.

Now heavily written storybook games like Telltale makes, I could never replay. In all honesty, I can't play them through once :)
    The thing is, that first is not a brush though. I will have been everywhere, done everything non conflicting quests allow me to do. In most I have collected every damn thing there is to collect, but not "achievements" which I think are designed more for players like yourself. Done the multiplayer to death and messed around with some mods if possible. I don't find the separate paths in games are really that separate, but each too their own, that's what gaming is about.
    AlBQuirky
  • ShaighShaigh Member EpicPosts: 2,142
    Got something like 130 games on steam not counting duplicates such as remasters, finished 95 of my steam games. For the games that remain unfinished three I played for 10+ hours without finishing, for the others I played for 1-5 hours before dropping them realizing it was wrong type of game for me.
    AlBQuirky
    Iselin: And the next person who says "but it's a business, they need to make money" can just go fuck yourself.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508
    edited April 2018
    Scot said:

Are you sure we aren't related somehow? Maybe our parents separated us at birth? 

You play games the same way I do, almost always to the end and generally only one at a time until I finish.  Replays are very rare,  in the last year only Fallout 4 was worthy of a 2nd play through.

In the past year only one game has beaten me, Legends of Grimrock 1. I was 7 or 8 levels in and came to a room with stupid magic missles streaming from 5 or 6 nozzles. 

You have to dodge between lanes as the missiles ramp up in frequency.  I finally quit after failing ever night for week.

What's worse is I think that challenge is optional, and I don't need the loot but I just have to finish everything, or I can't move on.

May have to pay my son to finish it, he has "young" reflexes. 

;)
    ScotAlBQuirky

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,026
    edited April 2018
    I categorize this sort of spending like this:

Person A: Walks by a store having a sale ... walks in and spends $40 on crap. Walks out $40 less than they started but tells everyone how much money they saved.

Person B: Walks by a store having a sale ... keeps on walking because they don't need extra crap. Still has all their money.

I'm person B. I don't buy the crap to begin with. I see crap for what it is: crap. I save my money for quality that lasts a very long time. There isn't a lot of quality in gaming atm.
    AlBQuirkynightraider

You stay sassy!

Kyleran said:
    Scot said:

Are you sure we aren't related somehow? Maybe our parents separated us at birth? 

You play games the same way I do, almost always to the end and generally only one at a time until I finish.  Replays are very rare,  in the last year only Fallout 4 was worthy of a 2nd play through.

In the past year only one game has beaten me, Legends of Grimrock 1. I was 7 or 8 levels in and came to a room with stupid magic missles streaming from 5 or 6 nozzles. 

You have to dodge between lanes as the missiles ramp up in frequency.  I finally quit after failing ever night for week.

What's worse is I think that challenge is optional, and I don't need the loot but I just have to finish everything, or I can't move on.

May have to pay my son to finish it, he has "young" reflexes. 

;)
    I don't think I played LoG, theres so much out there, and as I am on a MMO break I actually get to play them!
    AlBQuirky
  • anemoanemo Member RarePosts: 1,903
    edited April 2018
    I have games that became free on my wishlist that I still haven't downloaded. 
    Scot

Practice doesn't make perfect, practice makes permanent.

"At one point technology meant making tech that could get to the moon, now it means making tech that could get you a taxi."