Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What the hell am I missing here with ESO?

Comments

• SmokewoodSmokewood Member UncommonPosts: 10
    Tiller said:
    Scot said:
    Tiller said:
    Viper482 said:
    I've been playing since closed Beta. I enjoy the game. Either you like it or you don't, just like any other game on the market.
    But hopefully @OP you feel vindicated now that you've come here and made a post about it and have been consoled by all the other posters who don't like TESO.

It's a discussion forum, and this was interesting enough to reach 6 pages so far. Get off the high horse.
    I was sincerely asking what people like about it lol. Funny thing is, reading some of the posts from people who do like it, and why they like it I decided to try a new class and start from the beginning again. I'm not trying to make that mad dash to end game like I have gotten in the habit of doing with some many MMOs, so minus some of the glaring issues I mentioned it's not bad. It's mostly a story PvE game, so I play it as such. Actually I bought the Summerset expansion so I could get Morrowind for free.

If you dash to the end of a MMO surely that's going to make them all seem the same? It does explain one thing, the way you focus in on mechanics far more than many of us do. I too would be thinking more about the games combat if the rest of the MMO was a blur. I would suggest you make sure a MMO has the mechanics you want, first and foremost before you give it a go. For me story and lore are as important if not more, each to his own.
    Another habit from GW2 and SWG. In those games it was a lot easier to enjoy the story once you had a fully leveled character. I think Aion and SWTOR were the only games that I can remember where I actually enjoyed the leveling up process, because leveling felt like part of the journey within the story itself, rather than a chore.
    SWG had a story???
    You aren't talking about the Legacy Quest (from the NGE) are you?
  • KeushpuppyKeushpuppy Member UncommonPosts: 171
    OP needs to look for another game. I am having tons of fun and so is lots of others....
    JeroKaneYashaXGorwe
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163
    edited April 2018
    Gorwe said:
    OP needs to look for another game. I am having tons of fun and so is lots of others....
    There is a possibility he needs to rationalize things before he can enjoy things, but I mostly agree. If you need so many explanations to start having fun...not looking good imo. Try it again OP and reach the final conclusion. What can I say?
    Both you guys are late to the party, read up a few posts and you will see I am giving it another go lol.

Smokewood said:
    Tiller said:
    Scot said:
    Tiller said:
    Viper482 said:
    I've been playing since closed Beta. I enjoy the game. Either you like it or you don't, just like any other game on the market.
    But hopefully @OP you feel vindicated now that you've come here and made a post about it and have been consoled by all the other posters who don't like TESO.

It's a discussion forum, and this was interesting enough to reach 6 pages so far. Get off the high horse.
    I was sincerely asking what people like about it lol. Funny thing is, reading some of the posts from people who do like it, and why they like it I decided to try a new class and start from the beginning again. I'm not trying to make that mad dash to end game like I have gotten in the habit of doing with some many MMOs, so minus some of the glaring issues I mentioned it's not bad. It's mostly a story PvE game, so I play it as such. Actually I bought the Summerset expansion so I could get Morrowind for free.

If you dash to the end of a MMO surely that's going to make them all seem the same? It does explain one thing, the way you focus in on mechanics far more than many of us do. I too would be thinking more about the games combat if the rest of the MMO was a blur. I would suggest you make sure a MMO has the mechanics you want, first and foremost before you give it a go. For me story and lore are as important if not more, each to his own.
    Another habit from GW2 and SWG. In those games it was a lot easier to enjoy the story once you had a fully leveled character. I think Aion and SWTOR were the only games that I can remember where I actually enjoyed the leveling up process, because leveling felt like part of the journey within the story itself, rather than a chore.
    SWG had a story???
    You aren't talking about the Legacy Quest (from the NGE) are you?
    No, I'm talking about end game being the game in general (pre-cu). After the NGE it became a different game.
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    edited April 2018
    Getting to cap is kinda eh in ESO since you're really going to be doing the same thing that you were doing while  leveling up, just with potentially 1-2 more things sprinkled in. The otherside though is that when you hit CP160, you can start "enjoying" the game I guess since everything that will drop will be CP160, which is currently the gear cap. So if you find a set you like through questing, you can just increase the grade and not really have to worry about touching dungeons if you dont want. Dungeon grinding can be mind-numbing anyway if you're chasing a particular set with a particular trait (CURSE YOU DIVINES! CURSE YOU!).
    YashaX
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Albatroes said:
    Dungeon grinding can be mind-numbing anyway if you're chasing a particular set with a particular trait (CURSE YOU DIVINES! CURSE YOU!).
    IDK how long it's been since you played but trait anxiety is pretty well a thing of the past now since they added transmutation with the Clockwork City. A crafter can change a trait to any other trait they know for that item. 
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• EponyxDamorEponyxDamor Member RarePosts: 749
    I've tried a few times to enjoy ESO and I've just come to the conclusion that it is a truly fantastic game, but in the end just isn't the game for me. I think a lot of it has to do with not having any friends who play it, which just makes it seem like Skyrim-lite for me. On paper, ESO is *almost* everything I want in an MMO, though.
    Phry
  • YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 3,098
    Iselin said:
    Albatroes said:
    Dungeon grinding can be mind-numbing anyway if you're chasing a particular set with a particular trait (CURSE YOU DIVINES! CURSE YOU!).
    IDK how long it's been since you played but trait anxiety is pretty well a thing of the past now since they added transmutation with the Clockwork City. A crafter can change a trait to any other trait they know for that item. 
    Yeah that is no issue for me because I pvp a lot so always have a heap of transmute crystals, but the grind is still real if you are looking for a specific gear drop (like a Lich sword or something).
  • klash2defklash2def Member EpicPosts: 1,949
    I've tried a few times to enjoy ESO and I've just come to the conclusion that it is a truly fantastic game, but in the end just isn't the game for me. I think a lot of it has to do with not having any friends who play it, which just makes it seem like Skyrim-lite for me. On paper, ESO is *almost* everything I want in an MMO, though.
    So let me get this right. it's "almost everything" you want but its just not the game for you? 

Are you saying that if there were 10 things on the list this game checks off 9 but that 1 thing is just too much to bear? Please tell me what that thing is? Not being a dick or anything, I'm really curious, because most games in this genre are similar in nature.

Your issue about no friends is solved pretty easy. Just communicate with like-minded players in the game. You have to be willing to interact though to find those players. If you just log in and run randoms and log off then ya, it's kinda hard. I made a lot of my friends at launch but I think the best approach to be friendly towards people in the game and ask questions. ESO players are actually pretty chill from my experience. You get the occasional troll of course but my experience has been most people are mature.

Ask for invites to groups, add folks to your friendlist.. the good stuff. :) 
    Octagon7711[Deleted User]MrMelGibson
    "Beliefs don't change facts. Facts, if you're reasonable, should change your beliefs."

"The Society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting by fools."

Currently: Games Audio Engineer, you didn't hear what I heard, you heard what I wanted you to hear. 

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    klash2def said:
    So let me get this right. it's "almost everything" you want but its just not the game for you? 

Are you saying that if there were 10 things on the list this game checks off 9 but that 1 thing is just too much to bear? Please tell me what that thing is? Not being a dick or anything, I'm really curious, because most games in this genre are similar in nature.

Your issue about no friends is solved pretty easy. Just communicate with like-minded players in the game. You have to be willing to interact though to find those players. If you just log in and run randoms and log off then ya, it's kinda hard. I made a lot of my friends at launch but I think the best approach to be friendly towards people in the game and ask questions. ESO players are actually pretty chill from my experience. You get the occasional troll of course but my experience has been most people are mature.

Good advice, but its not something that comes easily to a lot of players, i think that is why so many games become single player experiences. ESO doesn't really make it any easier for socially inexperienced players to create bonds of friendship, this is partly due to the server structure where players don't tend to stay in the same instance of the game but instead fluctuate between however many instances an area has running at the time, the more players there are the more instances after all and the less likely it is for players to encounter one another repeatedly, adding players to friends lists does help but the problem really is getting them onto the friends list in the first place.
    Those players who are socially outgoing are likely to have a very different experience of the game than those who are not, how the game operates sadly only exacerbates this, as does the guild system that is not really guilds. The game really needs a kind of outreach program to help players connect and learn the game at the same time, Eve online has this in the form of Eve University, i think ESO could do with having something similar. :/
    Octagon7711klash2def
  • EponyxDamorEponyxDamor Member RarePosts: 749
    edited April 2018
    klash2def said:

No reason to get so defensive over it; I think its a fantastic game, I just can't seem to get into it after trying several times. I've literally said nothing negative about the game (in fact, I've only said positive things about it) other than I can't seem to get into it the way other people have. Believe it or not, it is possible to recognize a 9.5/10 game and still have no interest in playing it.

Also, I have plenty of friends who I play plenty of other games with, but none of them are interested in ESO.
    Post edited by EponyxDamor on
  • ysquare21ysquare21 Member UncommonPosts: 30
    edited June 2018
    Personally I play it for the crafting and the Cyrodiil/ IC PvP. I have never been an Elder Scrolls fan and the PvE does really nothing for me. Sure, I like exploring the game but the enviroments are pretty drab and uninspired and the storylines/ characters are forgettable. Guild Wars, Swtor, Lotro, Aion, Warhammer all had more of an identity for me. Might just be the IP though. Not a fan and most of what they talk about makes little sense to me as I don't know the lore. Lotro did a better job introducing people to Middle Earth in my opinion.

I play ESO because it is the last AAA Western MMO that has large scale PvP, good crafting and PvE combined. I suspect it is the same for most people. ESO has a lot of issues (combat, balance, graphics, housing, performance ... ) but its wealth of content keeps players coming back.

B2P/F2P definitely is a factor too. It's totally a psychological thing as I spend more money on ESO than a mere subscription fee. However, when I subscribe to something I feel this pressure to play it constantly and ESO would not be that game. With B2P I usually play ESO on and off for a month or two before taking a break again.

klash2def said:

No reason to get so defensive over it; I think its a fantastic game, I just can't seem to get into it after trying several times. I've literally said nothing negative about the game (in fact, I've only said positive things about it) other than I can't seem to get into it the way other people have. Believe it or not, it is possible to recognize a 9.5/10 game and still have no interest in playing it.

Also, I have plenty of friends who I play plenty of other games with, but none of them are interested in ESO.

I agree with you completely. I can acknowledge a game being good or bad but still dislike or actually enjoy it. Alpha Protocol is one of my all time favourite games, objectively speaking it has a lot of issues though.

The reason why it's really hard for me to get into ESO is the lore/story. I have never really liked or played Elder Scrolls games and it seems to me they expect most players to know the lore. At times I have no idea what the NPCs are talking about and the storylines are either boring or the world istelf is just not that interesting (to me personally, I know people love ES games) to bother and find out more offline.

Lotro had quite the opposite effect on me. I had never read the books (blesphemy, I know) and watched the films with mild interest prior to playing Lotro (only Star Wars existed back then :)). However, the MMO managed to tell stories in such a way that intruiged me and I completely fell in love with Middle Earth, watching the films over and over again, reading all the books and all the lore I could find online. ESO just never 'clicked' for me and it is just different if you feel at home in a game world. You are more likely to overlook flaws and things you dislike because of it. Only hearing the word "Jedi" or the sound of blaster fire and lighsabers made me play SWTOR for much longer than I should probably should have. The same is true for visiting locations in Lotro.

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    ysquare21 said:

I play ESO because it is the last AAA Western MMO that has large scale PvP, good crafting and PvE combined. 
    Sadly ESO in Cyrodiil is a game that only a minority of those who play it even know - it's a totally different game experience and the most MMOish part of ESO complete with old-fashioned grouping and a community to you get to know well.
    ysquare21[Deleted User]pantaro
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• MargraveMargrave Member RarePosts: 1,362
    ESO is my go to mmo.

Love the freedom of character advancement.

You can make your character play however you want it to.

I just changed my templar from a cloth aoe priest to a heavy plate aoe paladin.

I also made my nightblade back into a standard duel wield dagger/bow rogue.

He was a sword and board build for light tanking.

I've even had vampire, and werewolf characters too!

Whatever you think, you can do!
    [Deleted User]
  • ysquare21ysquare21 Member UncommonPosts: 30
    edited June 2018
    I had high hopes for ESO but it ended up being a letdown. I'm sick of modern MMOs just being about blob zerg pvp, it's skilless and boring. 

Whenever there is large scale PvP some people scream "zerg!!!". Yes, large scale means a lot of people fighting each other and it also means that smaller groups run into bigger ones. That is what Cyrodiil is about, large scale RvR. Even in a zerg defending or attacking a keep you can split off from the main group to fight 1v1. They also have the Imperial City for smaller group PvP, Battlegrounds and Duelling. Apart from the fact that sheer numbers will always trump, a smaller group with good coordination can very well defend a keep against an uncoordinated zerg. Cydoriil really is what you make of it. No need to be in a zerg if you don't want to.

Yes, it would be awesome for Cyrodiil to have more content for smaller groups (maybe some towers and camps to catpure?). However, there are plenty of ways to get 1v1(2,3) PvP if you want to. PvE quests, delves, anchors, capturing towns ... all that encourages small scale PvP.
    Post edited by ysquare21 on
    Iselin[Deleted User]YashaXbcbully
  • SaunZSaunZ Member UncommonPosts: 472
    I gank the zerg!  

lesson #1 - there is ALWAYS somebody on a slower horse.

more lessons later

Sz  :)
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163
    SaunZ said:

Specially when you have specific skills, 3 items of a specific set, of course Retreating Maneuvers, the right

Gorwe said:
    Why can't there be gear vendors / proper gear rewards?
    Many players agree about vendors/auction house, but it's also what makes all cities feel alive. Just use the Tamriel Trade Center website.

And you definitely have proper gear rewards, that you can even improve up to legendary without any external help should you want it. That's long term goals. Most of my items are world drops you can get solo and then that I have improved to legendary with my own blacksmith/woodworker/etc...

I really invite to to do more research about the depth of the game, seems to me that you've only brushed the surface and called it a day. A shame.

I agree, it takes some advancement and time to see the depth of what you can do. Plus lots of achievements to work on to unlock rewards, furnishings ect, which I like. When you think you are done, there is more to do.
    [Deleted User]
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• HyperpsycrowHyperpsycrow Member RarePosts: 914
    I tryed to log in today..i havent bought the summerfest exp...i bought the morrowwind and was still bored..i dont have any goals or objectives..what is there to do in this game when ur well geared and has enough gold for stuff you need...al lmy craft skills are high lvl..im bored in eso..i hate dayli quest stuff
    psychosiz1

• SaunZSaunZ Member UncommonPosts: 472
    i dont have any goals or objectives
    Well, in ESO, you have tons of objectives but you have to set them for yourself. If your only goal is a higher gearscore, WoW is definitely a better choice.

LOL
  • GanksinatraGanksinatra Member UncommonPosts: 455
    I just don't enjoy the combat. I don't know why. It's not that it's bad, or poorly made. It's just....meh. And since 80% of the game is doing combat, that makes 80% of the game meh.
  • Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,064
    Tiller said:
    I'm having a really hard time liking this game. That's a problem because I want to jump in to the hype of the new expansion, as well as play a bit of the last one I missed. 

Here are just some of the issues I have

The combat to me seems absolute shit- I feel like it's just a race to download a red line than actual fun and engaging combat.  For real, water gun balloon race at the county fair is far more exciting and has more tactile feedback then this games combat does. Why is dodging so hard and ridiculous looking? And what the hell is the point of wielding a bow in this game? I feel like I'm shooting nerf arrows.

Animations are wooden- Between the Stick-in-ass running technique and the fact that my avatar looks pretty unsure of himself when wielding a knife, especially when running with it is a total immersion killer for me. I wanna feel heroic, unlike my RL self.

Clothing on avatars looks painted on- Seriously, I can't be the only one who notices this. Unless my eyes are missing that third dimension, shit looks pretty flat to me. I blame the game engine, Hero Engine to be exact. I kind of wish they never used it.

The map- It isn't as horrid as other games I've played, but it's definitely missing details I like seeing in maps, like placement of NPC, POIs with minor details ect. It's like Google Earth Vs Yellow pages map.

No mini map- The fact that you see others standing around holding horrible maps all the time tells you that there needs to be a mini map built into the game. But-they thought it would be cool and hip to have a compass like in Skyrim. Granted you can use the many mods that are are offered to make things like not having a mini map seem less sucky, still doesn't fix the combat though.

Stories- Stories are decent, some feel like filler quests with no real point at all.  I will set out to do a quest, listen to 10 minutes of dialog and think, this is going to be a great story adventure. So I set out on what I think is going to be a grand adventure head to the first place.. pick this up, do this, look at that, rescue that person, put out fire ect then run back and the quest giver is like, " here's 2 silver -ok thx bye" Little anticlimactic. So many filler quests like that. Glorified kill 10 rats like with any MMO, but it feels like more of let down  because of the build up compared to other MMOs lol.

Voice acting- At times I feel the acting is as good as local bar improv night.  Most times you can even recognize the same voice actors in many stories. It's kinda like listening to your uncle Ned telling a story with different voices (if you have an uncle Ned, I don't). It's really hit or miss. I found myself at times wanting to hear the story being told, other times I'm like clicking to get them to shut up.

The game world-  At times it can be visually stunning, from a distance, then you move up close to some buildings and notice how drab they look with really low quality textures that look as good as a crappy Java game from 15 years ago with no real shadowing. Even with all settings on ulta, nothing looks super impressive. Where's my Ultra? Again, I blame Hero Engine for this.

Menu navigation-Built for game pads, clunky AF, nuff said.
    -Actually it's not enough, the first item on the menu wants to sell you loot crates, wtf, I can't tell you how many times I accidentally brought out that stupid swindler, maniacally flipping though his card deck like some back-alley NYC card hustler staring at you like he's gonna take you for all you are worth. All I was trying to do was get to something else.

The UI (or lack of)- This has the worst customization of any MMO I have ever played, and I have played a lot of MMOs. Something as simple as adding pots to your hot bar is major fail.  It should really be as easy as open inventory-drag-drop. But no, you must open inventory, press Q to bring up a radial run you mouse around the radial to find the slot you want, then drag and drop, again built for game pads.

Bugged quest spawns- This is hella annoying, and it's sad this issues still persist with some of the quests. I like being able to to run from one end of the map to other doing quests along the way, when one is broken it screws up my mapping flow.

No player market- Not a huge deal, but man I wish I could sell some crap I have cluttering up my inventory to other players who will over pay for it Vs selling it to a fence or turning it to crafting scrap.

Crafting- Not as as exciting as it could be, and considering how crafting is such a snooze fest for most people in MMOs, that says a lot. 

To be fair  I want to like this game, I feel like I need to like it; and I feel bad I have so many issues with it.  I will admit to an extent I find myself enjoying it from time to time, though that time is not right now. Maybe  it's because I have other games I would rather be playing, I don't know. Everyone talks up this game so highly, it must be good, or are you all just ignoring the obvious?

What do you guys like about the game? What Am I missing here?

Edit: I'm still not ready to give up on this game yet. Beyond some of the issues I have, most have never stopped me from enjoying an MMO before. I'm thinking it might be the class I'm playing that kills the combat for me. I usually like ranged DPS with the ability to finish off melee mobs up close of the move in on me. Thinking some type of caster tank. Does anyone have any advice on what class combinations to play? I've been playing a Nightblade with As/shadow but it just feels lackluster.

2nd Edit: I am currently giving this game another go, thanks for the feedback.

So.....you hate everything about it lol. 

Dude I'm with you. I have picked up this game about 20 times, each time expecting to finally like it. Whatever the hell it is it keeps me coming back to try over and over. More than I can say for other games. Still never sticks for more than a month or two.
    Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,064

Waaaaah! Someone posted negative thoughts about my game! 

Seriously dude, the guy was pretty objective. 
    Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Gorwe said:
    SaunZ said:

Specially when you have specific skills, 3 items of a specific set, of course Retreating Maneuvers, the right

Gorwe said:
    Why can't there be gear vendors / proper gear rewards?
    Many players agree about vendors/auction house, but it's also what makes all cities feel alive. Just use the Tamriel Trade Center website.

And you definitely have proper gear rewards, that you can even improve up to legendary without any external help should you want it. That's long term goals. Most of my items are world drops you can get solo and then that I have improved to legendary with my own blacksmith/woodworker/etc...

I really invite to to do more research about the depth of the game, seems to me that you've only brushed the surface and called it a day. A shame.

Perhaps. I just like gearing up part to be as simple as possible. SWTOR's very good when it comes to that. I don't want to do extensive research...I just want to keep it up to date with as few steps as possible. While I might like to research something, the game has to "prove" itself to me first. ESO hasn't. And was a boring, confusing mess in the first ~20 levels. It's up to the game to explain its basic + semi advanced things. ESO doesn't and consequentially, I feel completely lost in it.
    Going to a 3rd party website outside of the game in order to try and do something in the game, thats a fail by any standard. ESO isn't really a bad game, it just lacks the functionality that exists in most other games, in the end you have to balance how much you like the game with whether or not you care all that much about the missing features, there aren't any perfect games out there, so its no different to other games in that you have to weigh up the pro's and cons to decide whether to play or not. :/
    YashaXGorwe
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    I just don't enjoy the combat. I don't know why. It's not that it's bad, or poorly made. It's just....meh. And since 80% of the game is doing combat, that makes 80% of the game meh.
    I'd say probably because of the "weaving" mechanic. This is less noticeable in lightning staff builds since you're holding the heavy for a large part of builds. But then again, only having one way to enjoy a game can get old as well.

My main issue with the game (aside from the no global AH, which I'll complain about until they add it) is that its too much of a casual game, which is what I'm not really after atm. Its still nice to jump in and out of though.
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    Can someone do a thread about what I am missing with GW2 and BDO? Fed up of this one now.
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    edited July 2018
    Albatroes said:
    I'd say probably because of the "weaving" mechanic. This is less noticeable in lightning staff builds since you're holding the heavy for a large part of builds. But then again, only having one way to enjoy a game can get old as well.
    That bothers me too.

The other thing that bothers me is the method by which resources are expended and regenned, which feeds back into weaving/animation cancelling.  I'm just not a huge fan of it.  Then again, I've never been a huge fan of Elder Scrolls combat in general.  They were always worth playing in spite of the combat for me.