Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

'If We Play It Right, Anthem Will Feel Very Distinctly BioWare

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited April 2018 in News & Features Discussion

image'If We Play It Right, Anthem Will Feel Very Distinctly BioWare

Anthem News - BioWare's Managing Director Casey Hudson has created a new blog on the company's official site to provide readers with news and information about Anthem and "the games that will follow". In this inaugural post, Hudson provides a bit of his background as well as a look ahead at Anthem and how the studio is working very hard to make it "unlike anything you've ever played, but if [done] right, it will feel distinctly BioWare".

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    edited April 2018
    Dunno. Feels like a big f-you to Mass Effect fans (and I mean the series, not necessarily just Andromeda) but whatever. It's worrisome to see them throwing all eggs in the single Anthem basket, though he technically spoke of "other games", ostensibly Dragon Age 4 and...? What?

I want my Quarian DLC. :C
    RenfailWellspringBeezerbeez[Deleted User]AlomarMrMelGibsoninfomatzScotTacticalZombehYashaX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,836
    SBFord said:
    Dunno. Feels like a big f-you to Mass Effect fans (and I mean the series, not necessarily just Andromeda) but whatever. It's worrisome to see them throwing all eggs in the single Anthem basket, though he technically spoke of "other games", ostensibly Dragon Age 4 and...? What?

Andromeda's laughable launch and failure of a story were a big middle finger to Mass Effect fans. Anthem is just a curiosity that most of us are pessimistic about.
    chocolate42069krulerAlomarPhryMirandelkb4bluYashaX
    edited April 2018
    Aeander said:
    SBFord said:

Andromeda's laughable launch and failure of a story were a big middle finger to Mass Effect fans. Anthem is just a curiosity that most of us are pessimistic about.
    Andromeda WAS a failure for the series in many ways, though I don't think it's as bad as the bandwagon made it out to be. It had potential.

That said it doesn't mean you shitcan the entire series "just 'cause" and throw all into Anthem. Meh...honestly, skeptical about Anthem doesn't begin to describe how I feel.
    orionblade11chocolate42069krulerAvarixMrMelGibsonPhryMirandelTacticalZombeh

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    Having recently tried to update my old NWN version and not having the game become completely unplayable due to the BioWare support for this game now being defunct, I'm less keen on BioWare.  They had some degree of competence and desire to make interesting games in the past, but I'm less sure of that anymore.  Let's see them not drop the ball on what they accomplished in favor of future plans.  Both are related to future success.

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

edited April 2018
    Mendel said:
    Having recently tried to update my old NWN version and not having the game become completely unplayable due to the BioWare support for this game now being defunct, I'm less keen on BioWare.  They had some degree of competence and desire to make interesting games in the past, but I'm less sure of that anymore.  Let's see them not drop the ball on what they accomplished in favor of future plans.  Both are related to future success.
    You should play NWN Enhanced Edition from Beamdog. It's made for today's systems.

http://nwn.beamdog.com/
    laserit[Deleted User][Deleted User]MrMelGibsonPhryYashaX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    Lets be honest....after last year, can EA REALLY release a good mmo-lite experience (since they also mentioned that people dont care for linear single player experiences anymore, aka its easier to push micro-transactions if you're in a constant stack of player competition/interaction with others)? I mean, its like having a car sales man say to he that he's only pushing the most expensive cars to you because he gets a bigger commission by doing so, not because they are actually good etc and then tries to walk it back. I mean the general populace did know the stuff EA was admitting to was their long-game but you dont just come out and tell your customers that. In my mind, I think Anthem will be the "closure" that people "want" from this publisher. It would be nice if Bioware could be themselves out from under EA some day and go back to making good games again, but we might get mechanical flying pigs before then.
    SBFordAvarixkillerqueerPhry
  • SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    "And our games must be designed to continue delivering new stories and experiences, in an ongoing relationship with players in the worlds we’re evolving together."

Er... yeah... unless they bomb like ME:Andromeda, in which case we abandon them instantly and bury their franchise at sea in a lead-lined coffin...
    SBFord
    SBFord said:
    Mendel said:
    You should play NWN Enhanced Edition from Beamdog. It's made for today's systems.

A lot of the complaints I've heard about the Beamdog effort says that they really didn't address the UI scaling issues that the original had when trying to deal with screen resolutions > 1600x900.  So, I'm holding off on it, at least until there's a significant sale.
    SBFord

SBFord said:
    Aeander said:
    SBFord said:

Andromeda WAS a failure for the series in many ways, though I don't think it's as bad as the bandwagon made it out to be. It had potential.

That said it doesn't mean you shitcan the entire series "just 'cause" and throw all into Anthem. Meh...honestly, skeptical about Anthem doesn't begin to describe how I feel.
    In terms of gameplay, Andromeda was fine. Not spectacular, but fine and a leap forward for the franchise. Problem is, Mass Effect is defined by the quality of its writing, which is average at best in Andromeda. Average isn't good enough for gaming's answer to Star Wars (which, IMO, was better written at its height than Star Wars will ever be).
  • RosenborgRosenborg Member UncommonPosts: 162
    Not really sure what he is trying to accomplish, don't they have a marketing department?

"It will be unlike anything you’ve played, but if we do it right, it will feel very distinctly BioWare."

Doesn't sound too confident, and there's a big chance it will fail.

"It will be unlike anything you’ve played, but it will feel very distinctly BioWare."

Confident, will deliver.

Is he trying to get fired?

• jgDuffayjgDuffay Member UncommonPosts: 237
    I've lost faith in so many dev studios & game publishers these last years, the only thing that is making good games anymore is indie devs.. since loot boxes & micro transactions hit the market it all went to shit. the greed is real, everyone is looking for a cash grab and not realizing that making a content full game with good quality is also a cash grab. guess the latter is just to much work nowadays
    SBFordAlomarStylgarTacticalZombeh
  • krulerkruler Member UncommonPosts: 589
    edited April 2018

Mendel said:

SBFord said:

Mendel said:

A lot of the complaints I've heard about the Beamdog effort says that they really didn't address the UI scaling issues that the original had when trying to deal with screen resolutions > 1600x900.  So, I'm holding off on it, at least until there's a significant sale.

ON my phone at moment not at PC, but I think Flawless Widescreen had a fix for that, or it could of been the older version, I do remember NWN being in its listings, ill check later when I get home. A bit off topic but seeing as Bioware has been off form and topic due to EA sucking its soul out, MEH, the last ME was designed by a committee, its story was washed through the committee filters, and what was left was a pale and over rinsed mess of old hankies and belly button fluff from EA,s washing machine filters.

• AbimorAbimor Member RarePosts: 874
    I am not buying another game from EA until i see the reviews the last game I enjoyed was dragon age inquisition Mass effect was a great series until Andromeda. In stead of fixing it they just cut bait. If they would have stuck it out it could have been a story of bad start great finish. How you can just kill a beloved franchise is unbelievable. back on topic so it will only be fun if we play it the way they meant it to be fun that is scary sounding. So if you play it any other way it wont be good? 
  • Username_takenUsername_taken Member UncommonPosts: 19
    It will fail because it's EA: Grubby Little Fingers and Destroyer of Games.
    kb4blu
    kruler said:

Mendel said:

SBFord said:

Mendel said:

ON my phone at moment not at PC, but I think Flawless Widescreen had a fix for that, or it could of been the older version, I do remember NWN being in its listings, ill check later when I get home. A bit off topic but seeing as Bioware has been off form and topic due to EA sucking its soul out, MEH, the last ME was designed by a committee, its story was washed through the committee filters, and what was left was a pale and over rinsed mess of old hankies and belly button fluff from EA,s washing machine filters.
    Thanks.  I think the Flawless Widescreen fix was for the original game, not the Beamdog version.  I could be wrong on that.

A further question that NWN and Beamdog raises: why didn't BioWare do their own enhancement to modernize the game?  Beamdog seems to be making money off the Steam and GoG editions, did BioWare not care about competing for this market with a product they originally developed, or was this a case where EA didn't want to support the older BioWare portfolio?

• Asch126Asch126 Member RarePosts: 543
    Very big IF after all their fuckups.
    SBFord
  • CapodecinaCapodecina Member UncommonPosts: 30
    This will be a De2tiny Battlrfront 2 combo disaster ... Like the two prior, i shall buy the Delux editions and after 60 hours buri my disappointment with Doritos.
    [Deleted User]krulerSBFordAvarix
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    I liked Bioware for single player gaming way back in the 90's/200's but since those days they have not done anything i want to play.Bioware has yet to prove to me they understand the letters MMO even in the slightest.
    "innovate" sigh how many times have we heard this right before a game like Fortnite turns into a bandwagon battle Royale?
    NONE of these devs have confidence in their ability to deliver unique content so we just keep getting copycat crap.

Let them finish it,then we will see just more marketing than quality.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    jgDuffay said:
    I've lost faith in so many dev studios & game publishers these last years, the only thing that is making good games anymore is indie devs.. since loot boxes & micro transactions hit the market it all went to shit. the greed is real, everyone is looking for a cash grab and not realizing that making a content full game with good quality is also a cash grab. guess the latter is just to much work nowadays
    We all played a role.  Buying the shiny new AAA offerings encouraged the graphic war that skyrocketed video game costs.

Either it will equalize and we'll end up getting less titles or spending more per title for the kind of experiences we're getting now, or it'll crash and reset itself.  Either way will likely lead to significant growing pains for gamers and industry insiders.

When I look at things like Raph Koster's analysis, and I look at the symptoms occurring across the industry and, specifically, within the MMORPG and competitive multiplayer genres, that's the vibe I get.  Costs spiraled way faster than revenue increased.  That's not sustainable forever.
    [Deleted User]

• SamhaelSamhael Member RarePosts: 1,498
    Unfortunately, "distinctly BioWare" doesn't mean what it used to mean. For a decent number of years now, it's been fairly bland just-a-step-above-crap. What they need to achieve is "what BioWare used to be about" or "back to BioWare's original quality."
    SBFord[Deleted User]Alomar[Deleted User]PhryVrikaTacticalZombeh
  • Siris23Siris23 Member UncommonPosts: 388
    Distinctly BioWare Pre-EA or distinctly BioWare Post-EA?

I'm guessing it's the latter.
  • eddieg50eddieg50 Member UncommonPosts: 1,809
    I always enjoy a new Bioware game, Loved SWTOR except for the space game, and unlike some people enjoyed DA2 and DAI. yes I was not in love with Andromeda but they have made very few missteps IMO
    kb4blu
  • FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    edited April 2018
    I have played every Mass Effect but Andromeda and that is pretty sad. It's like the terrible ending debacle jinxed the entire franchise. In hindsight the ending of 3 was a forgivable offense.

ME:A I don't even want to look in the casket. Mass Effect 3 was the end. I'll be happier this way.
    AeanderPhry
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    I have played every Mass Effect but Andromeda and that is pretty sad. It's like the terrible ending debacle jinxed the entire franchise. In hindsight the ending of 3 was a forgivable offense.

ME:A I don't even want to look in the casket. Mass Effect 3 was the end. I'll be happier this way.
    At least the series gave us 3 incredible games. I still hold ME 2 up as one of the best games of all time.
    YashaX
  • goboygogoboygo Member RarePosts: 2,141
    That's a weird thing to say about your own company.  If we do this right it will play like a game that we should be capable of making.  As if their best days are behind them and they are struggling to make games as good as they used to.
    krulerPhrySBFordTacticalZombehNilden