Quantcast

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hard game forced group vs casual group friendly

1235»

Comments

• EldurianEldurian Member EpicPosts: 2,736
    Because of an attempt to make MMOs more like single player games ironically. Single player games historically have been story driven because it works in that format.

MMOs have many players so not everyone can be the "chosen one" the one that "slayed the litch king" etc. Or clearly they can but it seriously detracts from immersion IMO.

I like MMOs where you create your own unique story. The only way to allow players to create a unique story is when it's not scripted. That's why sandboxes offer a world to interact and other players to write the story with. Not scripted content.
  • MoiraeMoirae Member RarePosts: 3,318
    I don't want to be forced into anything. Not even a class. I want it to happen naturally as I play. No game does that yet. Forced anything is bad. 
  • DarkswormDarksworm Member RarePosts: 1,034
    The cash shop monetization has created a vicious cycle.  We have AAA production values with pubs going "okay, we'll set the value of the game itself to zero, then try to make it up by taxing the shit out of a small protion of the playerbase."

Well, now gamers expect AAA production MMORPGs for free.  Take a guess at how sustainable that will be long-term in attracting and retaining large investors?

Agree.  I actually think the players have done the most damage to this genre; not the actual companies running the games.

Unless there is some sort of VR revolution (and this is accompanied by a drop in equipment prices), I don't see MMORPGs having a "resurgence."

Sooner or later, debt slaves will realize just how much they're wasting on these cash grabs, and will start to move on.  There's a reason why other genres are becoming more popular, now.

MMORPGs have layered money sink on top of cash sink, and people simply aren't buying into the delusion anymore.

So they want everything for free, but "free" often ends up being more expensive than a subscription - predictably and laughably.

The only time a game is free is when there are enough true believer "whales" to buy overpriced supporter packs and fund the game for everyone else (leechers).
  • DeadSpockDeadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 381
    DMKano said:
    Anything forced is worse.

Problem is if there is a choice for solo no one groups so there are exceptions to the rule. Played FFXI when it was forced group mmorpg back at release and it was the best game experience ever. 
  • ManestreamManestream Member UncommonPosts: 941
    1 reason why i started to play these survival type games. Have many (not all) some crap, some good, even though it does feel the same old repeated thing. Just online MMO's are the same but too greedy thesedays in wanting you to buy the game, buy the expansions (ok thats fine but the cost has doubled/trebbled) then cash shops (which aint that cheap either) and are really starting to become a must use too. Take for instance Arkage - you MUST be a monthly subscriber and MUST use the cash shop on a weekly basis to have the full effect = i dont touch this and wont.

ESO - optional cash shop but you do have to buy the game to play (that is fair), to get access and play more you have to purchase the expansions thats fair too. Best one out there but does get boring.

WoW - Must be a monthly subscriber and purchase the game+ expansions (dont mind that) HOWEVER you are segregated via your region you live in, you can play in other regions but you MUST purchase everythign all over again from that region and have someone that will buy gametime in that regions currency (why dont they have the same as everyone else and thier other games) give you a choice what region servers to play on (with no transfering between regions or anything like that).

SWL - can be played for free entirely, however to get the most out of it you MUST become a monthly subscriber and use the cashop (preferably buying keys to open the random loot crates you find) <--- yup fucking junk usually and every other game that has this sort of thing. I wont put money into them and ask nobody else does either. That way they would have to change it to something thats fair and not just a money grab.

How many of these buy 2 play games have now changed to F2P but requires cashop usage with a patron option (monthly subscription) that just does not warrant the cost.
  • DarkswormDarksworm Member RarePosts: 1,034
    edited April 2018
    The reason why Regions are segregated is because of the internet.

No one wants half their raid to have 500 Ping and fail mechanics or perform poorly because their actions aren't being registered quickly.  PvP is very dependent on your connection quality.  You cannot do WoW arenas with high Ping. You'd get demolished all the time by people with a better connection or better proximity to the servers/data center.

This seems, to me, a very very odd complaint.

Also, you ignored the fact that ESO also has Regional Segregation.  You choose a region and play on it, and you aren't playing with the other people on the other region.

Can't really speak to the repurchase concern, since I've never tried to play in another WoW Region, but why would I?  The experience would be awful.

The idea of F2P "but you need to subscribe to get anything of worth" is a common bait and switch tactic in the market.  Age of Conan went F2P with that kind of model, and so did EQ2 (where returning players couldn't even equip their own raid gear without subscribing).

I think FFXI was kind of terrible, and it really didn't compete well in the market - for good reason - even against other games that were more group-biased and grind heavy.  There was no comparison between FFXI and EQ gameplay, IMO, and EQ had better classes.  FFXI was good for the lore, though, if you were into FF stuff.

I did play it, briefly, but that didn't last long.

I do think Square was innovative in the sense that they were the first MMORPG developer to really commit to console gaming (SOE did EQOA, but it wasn't really a priority to them).