Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Developers sitting next to each other

Comments

• Gyva02Gyva02 Member RarePosts: 499
    DMKano said:
    Amathe said:
    Pantheon doesn't need integrated voice chat. There are already many voice chat providers (mumble, discord, etc) and that is what everyone uses nowadays. Even in games that have integrated voice chat, the players usually use third party voice chat programs instead. 

Discord is what everyone uses. Guilds have dropped all others and switched to Discord.

Discord is the one to rule them all.

Discord is great, I use it all the time....Here's the problem ! 
    If you not is the same guild as others in your party, how do you set up a temporary channel with strangers ?  

Hay, I'm just looking out for the other millions. 
    Pm them a server invite, takes like 2 seconds... 
    Amathe
  • delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    edited April 2018
    Gyva02 said:
    DMKano said:
    Amathe said:
    Pantheon doesn't need integrated voice chat. There are already many voice chat providers (mumble, discord, etc) and that is what everyone uses nowadays. Even in games that have integrated voice chat, the players usually use third party voice chat programs instead. 

Discord is what everyone uses. Guilds have dropped all others and switched to Discord.

If you not is the same guild as others in your party, how do you set up a temporary channel with strangers ?  

Typical conversation of a six party group: 

Hay everyone, log into Discord, tag..... joe31 

-group member 1   "I don't have Discord" 
    -group member 2   "what's Discord ?" 
    -group member 3   "OK, but it's not working" 
    -group member 4   silence, and doesn't do it. 
    -group member 5   "what are you talking about...what ?" 

-Alt for group member 1  "I don't have Discord, where do I get it?, does it work good?, help me set it up!, click on what?...testing...testing, does everyone get that, is my mic too low ?" 

Let me add this: 
    What happens if the member in charge, doesn't ask others to use Discord ?

Bad idea all around :( 
    Post edited by delete5230 on
    KyleranMendel
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Gyva02 said:
    DMKano said:
    Amathe said:

-Alt for group member 1  "I don't have Discord, where do I get it?, does it work good?, help me set it up!, click on what?...testing...testing, does everyone get that, is my mic too low ?" 

Let me add this: 

Alt option number 2 if asked to join Discord or any other group chat...

Group member 6 has left the party.....

I loath voice chat with strangers, or even guild mates unless there is a great reason, complicated raids or PVP usually.

Standard dungeon crawling.....just no.

MendelLokeroSovrath

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    Kyleran said:
    Gyva02 said:
    DMKano said:
    Amathe said:

Let me add this: 

Alt option number 2 if asked to join Discord or any other group chat...

Group member 6 has left the party.....

I loath voice chat with strangers, or even guild mates unless there is a great reason, complicated raids or PVP usually.

Standard dungeon crawling.....just no.

So, what's the reason for not showing a stream with forced text-only communication between developers?  Show the game as it will be played.  VR has already made claims about how the difficulty of playing will prevent multi-boxing, so let's see if this 'difficulty' interferes with normal PUG play.

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• svannsvann Member RarePosts: 2,230
    We use vent for guild stuff and discord for open raids.
  • krulerkruler Member UncommonPosts: 589
    svann said:

I have zero desire to talk to anyone in an MMO unless its a big raid, and even then after 10 minutes I feel my IQ deflating by the resulting experience, I have used it more in Eve, but still unless its a group of people I know, I would rather slam my dangly bits repeatedly in a door while tap dancing on a bed of used hypodermic needles.  
    ScotKyleranSovrath

kruler said:
    svann said:

I have zero desire to talk to anyone in an MMO unless its a big raid, and even then after 10 minutes I feel my IQ deflating by the resulting experience, I have used it more in Eve, but still unless its a group of people I know, I would rather slam my dangly bits repeatedly in a door while tap dancing on a bed of used hypodermic needles.  

You would have to stretch pretty far to reach the door and the bed at the same time.  Sounds painful never the less.
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    edited April 2018
    I am not a fan of voice chat in games myself, but its a necessary evil, you just have to put up with it. :)
    Kyleran
    kruler said:
    svann said:

You would have to stretch pretty far to reach the door and the bed at the same time.  Sounds painful never the less.

Your confusing a bed of hypodermic needles with an actual bed, context is everything.
    delete5230Scot

Voice chat itself is not bad, but there are a few bad actors that Ive had to greatly reduce the volume on, and some that I have muted.
    here are a few good rules
    1. use key to talk
    2. dont scream for any reason
    3. dont key up then clear your throat
    svann said:
    Voice chat itself is not bad, but there are a few bad actors that Ive had to greatly reduce the volume on, and some that I have muted.
    1. use key to talk

Can you flush the toilet and scream at the kids ?
    svann said:
    1. use key to talk

Can you flush the toilet and scream at the kids ?

I believe there is a macro for that......

/flushcache /scream@littlebuggers 

• AzmodeusAzmodeus Member UncommonPosts: 268
    Us old timers raided fine back in day without Voice communication.  People actually paid better attention reading the chat instead of watching a movie on second monitor and wiping the raid.  lol
      OMG I am Ancient!
  • genaknoscgenaknosc Member UncommonPosts: 112
    Mendel said:
    I know I don't want to hear some random teen exploring the limits of their NSFW vocabulary.
    You honestly think a teenager would be interested in this game?
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    Azmodeus said:
    Us old timers raided fine back in day without Voice communication.  People actually paid better attention reading the chat instead of watching a movie on second monitor and wiping the raid.  lol
    Raided for years without voice chat. then WoW and EQ2 came along and in neither game could players take 2 steps without voice chat....I always felt it was for noobs but to each their own.
  • KumaponKumapon Member EpicPosts: 1,563
    genaknosc said:
    Mendel said:
    I know I don't want to hear some random teen exploring the limits of their NSFW vocabulary.
    I've tried for years to get my daughter interested in mmo's, even to the point of bribing. I think it's hopeless..lol
    Azmodeus said:
    Raided for years without voice chat. then WoW and EQ2 came along and in neither game could players take 2 steps without voice chat....I always felt it was for noobs but to each their own.

I once showed how to macro reply a multi raid to prove the point on how it was better than voice if you weren't  100% about your 4 group's voice discipline, I got it down to 9 macro's in the end, it wasn't hard and I didn't end up wanting to actual kill people by the end of a raid.

True you had to sometimes alter macro on the fly, but it wasn't nearly as much of a chore as I thought, I now go out of my way to avoid voice and its " Need" , as nothing destroys my enjoyment of playing an MMORPG as having to listen to some futterking arsemongle burp, fart and make constant interjections as if to prove that they actually exist.   

kruler said:
    Azmodeus said:

I once showed how to macro reply a multi raid to prove the point on how it was better than voice if you weren't  100% about your 4 group's voice discipline, I got it down to 9 macro's in the end, it wasn't hard and I didn't end up wanting to actual kill people by the end of a raid.

True you had to sometimes alter macro on the fly, but it wasn't nearly as much of a chore as I thought, I now go out of my way to avoid voice and its " Need" , as nothing destroys my enjoyment of playing an MMORPG as having to listen to some futterking arsemongle burp, fart and make constant interjections as if to prove that they actually exist.   
    Sounds like you had a pretty awful guild to me.  Even our casual server wide invites raids dont have that shit.
  • MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    genaknosc said:
    Mendel said:
    The magical population that VR envisions has to come from somewhere.  One of the first responses that supporters give to the question of 'who and where' always seems to include that 'next generation' of players with no exposure to the way MMORPGs used to be.

Asm0deus

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• jpedrote52jpedrote52 Member UncommonPosts: 112
    Azmodeus said:
    Nihilum, the #1 guild in wow from vanilla to the end of TBC, raided without voice, and still got world first kills, must be a US thing, requiring voice in everything.
    Scotsvanndelete5230
  • NegativeJoeNegativeJoe Member UncommonPosts: 213
    back in early rift, a guild was made by a deaf dude with the sole idea of no voice.  idk how it ended up after expansions and updates but it was by a good margin the top guild on server back when i played.

i have never bought into the fact it is needed at all or even helps, except in some rvr type games where you know people are too lazy/incometent to notice incoming red names or figure out on their own who needed demezzed etc.

::::26:: ::::26:: ::::26::

svann said:
    kruler said:
    Azmodeus said:

Sounds like you had a pretty awful guild to me.  Even our casual server wide invites raids dont have that shit.

Guild was just fine not great, but ok I was more talking about the open invite raids I ran but also ran the macros in and out of guild raids.
    You don't need voice if you know what your doing, voice is a distraction.
    Play Eve mostly now and do use voice sometimes, but I channel chat using translation more, as have French, german and Russians in corp, and still mangae to get things done via text.

When you are made to depend on something, you of course grow used to it, I cut my teeth on raiding in early EQ where you HAD to sort things via text and macro's, then voice came about and it was a BIT easier, but then the crowd got less niche and voice became a problem.

My point I was trying to make, despite your opinion on how awful a guild must of been is voice isn't needed and there should be more than one way to run a raid, or indeed even a PUG group.

Plus I feel making voice a must also shows a rather pissant view of the world, as it presumes everyone you meet speaks English well, I can quickly show someone what to do and what 9 or so certain commands mean, I do not have the time however to teach someone a language, with all the different slang and accents.

Met some brilliant people over the years from many a diverse background and location, voice only mentality forces some people to go to localized servers (lang) more so if voice and text was more equal, and I think that's a shame as I still have friends from over 10 years ago whose language isn't English, and we still are in contact or in game.

Plus it has over the years from no real effort on my part to absorb a fair chunk of a few languages, bit like EQ1 taught me to type when it wasn't a "boy" thing to know how to type, ie no training in school for males etc etc.

What I am basically saying so everyone can understand, VOICE IS FOR NOOBS..... ;-)

• Scott23Scott23 Member UncommonPosts: 293
    Not a fan of voice chat in game.  I think it is the bass voice coming from the female nubile elf - lol.

The only one I talk to is my wife - playing next to me (she's the healer :) )
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Interesting,while walking the dogs i was just thinking along these lines.
    So what if we find a game we like a lot,what if it is Pantheon using an example.

With all the chit chat i have read on various gamer's i get a distinct feeling it is almost impossible to find a group of like minded gamer's.

I do not like the type that just login to do bosses/instances/gear grind,i want to group with people who just want to explore the game world and play the content for the content and not the rewards.
    So what are the odds i find a game with all the systems being in depth and not just shallow stat minded,what if the content is interesting,what the odds i find the same players,i feel the odds are very low.

Simple math,in the early years we basically had the same design ,the vast majority were enjoying the game for the same reasons.Then along came Wow,DSL was in every home and a whole new breed of mmorpg player that THINKS Wow is how it should be done.
    Wow had 65% of the entire populace of mmorpg gamer's at one time,so that very high majority never knew anything other than Wow.
    Point being,the rpg populace is heavily influenced by Blizzard gaming,not good odds in finding true rpg gamer's to group with.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• DyanuDyanu Member CommonPosts: 9
    Typing is fine but those who want voice chat should have that option as well, but I am not sure if it should be apart of the internal game mechanics. Most people do not use ingame voice chat because it takes to much bandwidth to use and that interferes with and causes to much lag. It also interferes with the ingame sound and music so I usually have it turned off. :) I love to hear and see the world for the full immersion effect!
    Amathe
    Just remember, No matter where you go...there you are!