Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Level of Interest in Chronicles of Elyria

Comments

• Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,389
    edited April 2018
    Asm0deus said:
    I would vote but my option isn't there...

Interested in this game but don't believe it will come out as advertised if it comes out at all.
    Actually, it is there "Is a game I need to learn more about before making a decision" fits perfectly but for some reason, you had to get on the don't believe boat. 

This Poll isn't about whether or not the game will come out, I am not sure what is so hard to understand about that. 
    No. I have learned enough about the game, it not a lack of information on my part but a lack of trust and belief in it.

This is the main issue with your poll, you're trying to skew things to fit in a way you like or like others have said in a positive manner that makes CoE look better so to speak.

The way your poll is set up is if some of us are skeptical or have a lack of faith for w/e reason you want to lump us all in to one of two option:

uninformed

or plain

uninterested in the game and thus trolls simply out to bash it

When plainly that is not the case for many....
    JamesGoblinMendelKyleran

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

• mystichazemystichaze Member UncommonPosts: 378
    edited April 2018
    Asm0deus said:
    Asm0deus said:

Interested in this game but don't believe it will come out as advertised if it comes out at all.
    Actually, it is there "Is a game I need to learn more about before making a decision" fits perfectly but for some reason, you had to get on the don't believe boat. 

This Poll isn't about whether or not the game will come out, I am not sure what is so hard to understand about that. 
    No. I have learned enough about the game, it not a lack of information on my part but a lack of trust and belief in it.

This is the main issue with your poll, you're trying to skew things to fit in a way you like or like others have said in a positive manner that makes CoE look better so to speak.

The way your poll is set up is if some of us are skeptical or have a lack of faith for w/e reason you want to lump us all in to one of two option:

uninformed

or plain

I am not trying to skew anything. I created the poll for myself because I was curious as to what the result would be. I didn't create it to pump CoE up or put it Down. It is you bunch who has turned it into something it never was meant to be. 

So interpret it however you want, I got the answer I was looking for.  I am done defending it. 
  • mystichazemystichaze Member UncommonPosts: 378
    edited April 2018
    THE POLL HAS BEEN DELETED. Thanks to those who took the time to vote but I am done with the drama that came with it. 
    JamesGoblinSlapshot1188krulerKyleran
  • krulerkruler Member UncommonPosts: 589
    Asm0deus said:

I have researched quite a bit, and not just about the game itself, but the people making it and its finances, so your reply is slippery shall we say, a good poll allows for a counterpoint so as to gauge the correct overall appeal, and sense of what's wrong with opinion so as to find a solution.

Creating a circle jerk poll does nothing at all but confirm to varying degrees the pollsters own opinions.

Don't bring out "but the trolls argument", trolls well always be trolls just factor in a % of ignore for the negative and the positive's, "Positives !" You say, yes trolling works both sides in a poll, a good product by itself has a low need for mental adjustment to poll results due to trolling, a bad one however makes you want to game the poll from the start anyway.

The game isn't bad as an idea, I was drawn to it, but the other stuff would make me tick the never to be released box.

So I do very much understand your poll and motives, you have every right to an opinion, I applaud it, to  make a poll with blatant  prepositioning and then deride another poster for his opinion is rank hypocrisy.

All of the above is my opinion, no trolling, it is my actual opinion on this subject, to dismiss it as trolling would be your opinion, but both opinions are affected by bias, thus I understand the all of it, not just my view or yours.

Asm0deusJamesGoblin[Deleted User]

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    Is there really a significant amount of people "interested" in CoE, but not interested enough to make their way to the official website/forums and find out more ?

That doesn't sound like much "interest" to me.

CoE certainly generates a good volume of posts in these forums. The old saying of "Any publicity is preferable to being completely ignored" probably applies in this case.
    JamesGoblin
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,947
    I would propose that having an “I’m not interested” is a waste of time as the vast majority of those not interested will not be reading the poll...

All a poll like this is good for is counting the number of people interested in the title... which I think was around 16 people out of the 3.5M accounts on MMORPG.COM

;) 

OK... we all know the 3.5M aren’t all active accounts, but I think you understand the point.  To vote NO, you actually have to kind of give a shit.

JamesGoblinKyleran

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    IceAge said:
    Where is "Is a game I know it will fail" option ?
    Pretty much the default answer. 

;)
    JamesGoblinSlapshot1188

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Wizardry said:
    First week 100% interested
    second week skeptical
    third week onwards,not very much anymore,don't like any form of p2w or buy yoru way in for head starts or anything of that nature.

So seeing that really nothing is coming from the mmorpg genre,i just went back to playing Hearthstone a TCG that i really have a lot of distaste for but i just like card games.

When somebody has a HQ mmorpg with depth  and it is finished with no cash shops and built with their own money,let me know.
    Seriously, you are actually playing a game you find "distasteful?"

Weird.

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

edited April 2018

PS The option "CoE is NOT a game and it'll never become one - rendering the whole poll pointless" should be added, in my humble opinion

Not to sound rude, but in my opinion,  these comments fit very nicely under "Not interested in the game" Since none of us have a crystal ball that foresees the future. :)
    It's called "probability analysis," used by financial risk managers,  insurance actuaries and even software development project managers to forecast the likelihood of a successful outcome.

So far this project is scoring pretty low in multiple factors including (but not limited to) adequate funding, realistic expectations, talent, and past track record.

Crystal ball not required.
    Slapshot1188JamesGoblinSpottyGekkoMendel

Since we are always hearing from the same posters, debating the same things over and over, one can't really get a feel for the general interest in Chronicles of Elyria. I have created the attached poll because I am genuinely curious what the demographics of interest looks like on the MMORPG forums. 

Please take a moment to vote on your personal choice.

Thanks in Advance.

PS: The poll has been deleted, thanks to those who took the time to vote but I am done with the drama that came with it. 

So first you bait people with your opening sentence, whine when people won't play nice or by your rules, then in a fit of petulance take your toys and go home.

You will be absolutely eaten alive if / when this game launches.
    Slapshot1188postlarval

said:
    Since we are always hearing from the same posters, debating the same things over and over, one can't really get a feel for the general interest in Chronicles of Elyria. I have created the attached poll because I am genuinely curious what the demographics of interest looks like on the MMORPG forums. 

Thanks in Advance.

PS: The poll has been deleted, thanks to those who took the time to vote but I am done with the drama that came with it. 

So first you bait people with your opening sentence, whine when people won't play nice or by your rules, then in a fit of petulance take your toys and go home.

You will be absolutely eaten alive if / when this game launches.
    If you don’t like a poll’s results... just delete them.   :D
    JamesGoblin

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• AnOldFartAnOldFart Member RarePosts: 562
    Well this thread was quickly hijacked and twisted from it's original purpose. Pretty much like every topic that comes about this game, problem is it's usually the same suspects commenting how the topic is pointless because the game will fail then the "white knights" as people have been calling them coming in to correct mistakes or to put across a justifiable reply to then get trolled down.
    By justifible reply I am meaning giving a reaponse that might be a counter to the negative comment that in their eyes justifibly counters said negative response.

The intention of the poll was quite obvious and yet people twisted to their own ends. At least I have learnt one main point in this thread, when asking a question via a poll with two answers:
    yes and no
    DleatherusmystichazeJamesGoblin
    AnOldFart said:
    Well this thread was quickly hijacked and twisted from it's original purpose. Pretty much like every topic that comes about this game, problem is it's usually the same suspects commenting how the topic is pointless because the game will fail then the "white knights" as people have been calling them coming in to correct mistakes or to put across a justifiable reply to then get trolled down.
    By justifible reply I am meaning giving a reaponse that might be a counter to the negative comment that in their eyes justifibly counters said negative response.

The intention of the poll was quite obvious and yet people twisted to their own ends. At least I have learnt one main point in this thread, when asking a question via a poll with two answers:
    yes and no
    That’s certainly one perspective.  

I think its far from the truth of what happened but you are entitled to your own thoughts.
    JamesGoblin

• AnOldFartAnOldFart Member RarePosts: 562
    edited April 2018
    AnOldFart said:

yes and no

I think its far from the truth of what happened but you are entitled to your own thoughts.
    Your right it is my perspective and you may think it's far from the truth but people juat have to look at all the threads and how some people constantly derail them with the same negative points.
    I think I have seen 2 threads disrailed and 1 with multiple attempts to disrail it and that' in my month of being on these forums. 

But that only seems to happen with regularity and always by the same people.

Now don't get me wrong I think @Slapshot1188 and @Kyleran make some good points and some of those reasons are why I haven't preordered the game. It's just a shame some of the others aren't as constructive but seem to just jump on the bandwagon. 

btw I @ you because I didn't want others to think i was talking about them.

***edit***
    I said you make some good points but the points don't need making in all the threads.
    JamesGoblin
  • IceAgeIceAge Member EpicPosts: 3,118
    IceAge said:

PS The option "CoE is NOT a game and it'll never become one - rendering the whole poll pointless" should be added, in my humble opinion

Not to sound rude, but in my opinion,  these comments fit very nicely under "Not interested in the game" Since none of us have a crystal ball that foresees the future. :)
    I have something better then a crystal ball to know that this will fail. 17 years of MMO experience. I have seen plenty, I have played plenty and yes, Crow(fall) is not a game and it will never become one.
    And it still remains irrelevant to this poll.

Edited to add: Plus we are talking about CoE, not Crowfall so I think your 17-year-old crystal ball might be broke. heh
    My bad about Crowfall rather then CoE , but still .. same shit ! 
    JamesGoblin

Reporter: What's behind Blizzard success, and how do you make your gamers happy?
    Blizzard Boss: Making gamers happy is not my concern, making money.. yes!

• DleatherusDleatherus Member UncommonPosts: 168
    AnOldFart said:

yes and no
    it's all good

people don't understand the difference between a poll who's intent is to gauge interest in CoE vs a poll who's intent is to gauge whether people think the game will launch or not

they are two completely different things

the fact that the detractors are either unable to comprehend the distinct difference between the two, or are intentionally trying to blur the difference for me personally lowers a lot of their credibility

heck, some even speculated that i would bring over some of our community to rig the poll

perhaps they believed that, perhaps they didn't - however it's a tactic used to create a situation of if the poll show more detractors than supporters then all is good, if the poll results were to show more supporters than detractors, the response would be 'see!!  i told you they brought over people to rig the numbers'

it shows little intent to have genuine discussions here, more a case of proving the 'i know it's going to fail' mentality

recent case in point is the thread about crafting mechanics that are currently in development, and folks saying there was no info, it's a pipedream, it's a cash grab, it's pay to win

all of those things are important to discuss, and relevant things to discuss

just not in every thread

shows a total lack of imagination or ability to discuss various topics

i'm going to be spending less time here - not because of the results of the poll  - if 'winning' was the intent then as pointed out, i would have stacked the numbers easily

it's that i'm trying to discuss with idiots who can't draw a distinction between a poll to gauge interest in the game and a poll to gauge opinion of whether it will succeed or fail, or are just flat out baiting/trolling for drama purposes - i have little time for either

i'll still visit here every now and then because some valid points are made by the detractors, but i'm not going to get involved in the drama fest a lot of the comments are intended to create

take care

• AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149
    edited April 2018

Thanks in Advance.

I doubt the drama came with the poll.  I am guessing the original reason you stated for creating this post just persisted.  Too bad.  I would have liked to have seen it.
    MendelKyleranJamesGoblin

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

• AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149
    edited April 2018
    Sedryn Tyros:

Trying to gauge the level of interest from people who may be looking for a game like Chronicles of Elyria means trying to filter out all the other extraneous noise of those folks relentlessly hammering a game that even isn't even out yet.  Not an easy task.

Oddly that is the exact reason I created this poll. I get the impression that many that are interested in CoE don't bother to post in any of the other threads because they have been witness to what goes on there. And I wanted to know if there were others out there that -are- interested in the game, and to what degree. 

I do find it amusing though how it is all the Naysayers whining about how the poll is not fair.
    Just recreate it with a scale and no wording. . how interested are you 1 to 10.  I didn't see your poll but I hate polls that say things like "I might check it out - if the devs ever update it" etc.  Just leave out the commentary from the poll.  Keep it simple rather than using quotes of peoples head-space etc.  Again, I didn't see it but I would guess this was the issue.  
    Mendel

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

AnOldFart said:
    AnOldFart said:

yes and no

Your right it is my perspective and you may think it's far from the truth but people juat have to look at all the threads and how some people constantly derail them with the same negative points.
    I think I have seen 2 threads disrailed and 1 with multiple attempts to disrail it and that' in my month of being on these forums. 

But that only seems to happen with regularity and always by the same people.

Now don't get me wrong I think @Slapshot1188 and @Kyleran make some good points and some of those reasons are why I haven't preordered the game. It's just a shame some of the others aren't as constructive but seem to just jump on the bandwagon. 

btw I @ you because I didn't want others to think i was talking about them.

***edit***
    I said you make some good points but the points don't need making in all the threads.
    Ok.. go back in this thread.  You will find that neither @kyleran or I “derailed the thread”.  The only comment by either until mystic deleted it was when I self edited my post to say Nevermind right after I posted it. I didn’t even vote because it was a farce.

The real fallacy being propagated is that there are just one or two people who push their anti-COE agenda on everyone.  Unlike Caspien, there is nobody saying we should go Share The Gospel.  

The more times threads like this are made, and then pulled down because people call bullshit on it.. the better as far as I am concerned.
    MendelJamesGoblin

• LinifLinif Member UncommonPosts: 338
    edited April 2018
    I'm interested in the game.

Let's see, I want to analyze this thread and come to a conclusion on how this thread could have been handled better.

OP wants to gauge how many people on this forum are interested in the game. Now I didn't get to see the poll before it was deleted, but I'd imagine the options looked like "I'm interested", "I'm not interested" and "I don't have information to decide". Let me know if I'm off.

There is indeed a pattern of particular people who seek out threads to express their distaste for the game. That's certainly not a crime and this is a forum, no rules being broken. They can participate in whatever discussion they want and you're just as free to ignore them. However, it is these people that are needed to keep the conversations meaningful or at least unbiased so it doesn't end up a circle jerk of positivity for a game.

In my conclusion here:

If you didn't want answers beyond the options given, perhaps don't post it on a forum where you know there are people who will seek to discuss the game in a view opposite to yours, in great length (You're literally inviting them to join in).

Or

Listen, take part and tailor the poll accordingly so these people can have their opinions heard and tallied

Or

Listen, take part and explain your position. If they don't get it, then that is their problem, not yours.

You don't have to participate in "Drama", and it's certainly not wise to participate in "Drama" with "Drama" (Like taking the poll down...)
    Slapshot1188[Deleted User]mklinic
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    Crowdfunded MMOs seem to get an unusually high amount of scrutiny and vitriol during development compared to other indie games.  It kind of sucks because it's hard enough to complete a game like this without the funding you'd get from a major publisher but then you also add to that the burden of dealing with the Derek Smarts of the world, who pleasure themselves by rubbing their gonads across every bit of information you release. 

Trying to gauge the level of interest from people who may be looking for a game like Chronicles of Elyria means trying to filter out all the other extraneous noise of those folks relentlessly hammering a game that even isn't even out yet.  Not an easy task.
    To be fair, crowdfunding devs blur the line between marketing hype and realistic goals and plans over and over, earning some of the so-called vitriol and scrutiny.

They already start at less than even because if there were anyone informed about the market and in a position to provide funding who thought the ideas could float, it likely wouldn't need crowdfunding in the first place.

Couple that with huge, across the board delays from these projects...  And honestly, you can't really act like it's all just hating when folks are critical.
    Slapshot1188krulerMendel[Deleted User]

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    CoE's ideas don't exist in a vacuum. Nobody can discuss specific aspects of the game design without their overall opinion regarding the project's likely success "bleeding through".

So expect "the same criticisms" to surface in every discussion regarding CoE. It happens with every game, CoE will be no different.
    Slapshot1188krulerMendelKyleranJamesGoblin
  • krulerkruler Member UncommonPosts: 589
    Crowdfunded MMOs seem to get an unusually high amount of scrutiny and vitriol during development compared to other indie games.  It kind of sucks because it's hard enough to complete a game like this without the funding you'd get from a major publisher but then you also add to that the burden of dealing with the Derek Smarts of the world, who pleasure themselves by rubbing their gonads across every bit of information you release. 

To be fair, crowdfunding devs blur the line between marketing hype and realistic goals and plans over and over, earning some of the so-called vitriol and scrutiny.

They already start at less than even because if there were anyone informed about the market and in a position to provide funding who thought the ideas could float, it likely wouldn't need crowdfunding in the first place.

Couple that with huge, across the board delays from these projects...  And honestly, you can't really act like it's all just hating when folks are critical.

THIS.

The thread wasn't derailed, as Ive stated before love the idea of the game and hope it happens as stated.....BUT realistically with evidence at hand both of financing and management its a stretch to far.
    Even a sound and sensible team would face a hard slog to produce a game, and as posted above if they were so sound and sensible they more than likely wouldn't have to crowdfund anyways.

If I am truly honest with myself, I am warning people about crowdfunding above certain levels, of course this is a matter of perception as one mans $100 is another $10,000 but people are being sold dreams, and while it means more games get made in theory the whole setup is bad business.

AND this crew is bad business period.

Plus any thread over 3 pages will naturally suffer from topic fluidity due to diverse opinions, atrophy will out.     
    Slapshot1188KyleranMendelcraftseeker

• MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    Asm0deus said:
    Asm0deus said:

uninformed

or plain

I am not trying to skew anything. I created the poll for myself because I was curious as to what the result would be. I didn't create it to pump CoE up or put it Down. It is you bunch who has turned it into something it never was meant to be. 

So interpret it however you want, I got the answer I was looking for.  I am done defending it. 
    It was skewed, maybe not intentionally, but the bias was there.  (2 options for 'interested', 1 for 'neutral' and 1 for 'not interested' -- that's definitely a bias.)  The wording of the individual points gave me the impression that there was some kind of prestige associated with financially backing this project.  It's bad enough that the game wants to segregate their customers, but it may actually be worst when the potential players want to lord this status over others.

I did vote.  I was the 11th vote, and I voted 'Need more info'.  At the time I voted, the tally was 2, 2, 2, 5, with 5 (49%) being 'No interest'.  This game, both the developers and supporters, have put out enough information to scare away any potential interest from this site.  I'm sorry you can't seem to accept that.

I'd suggest that the CoE faithful go underground until there is actually something a lot more tangible to discuss.  Let the negative vibes blow over and start the positive spin when people can actually see and try the game for themselves, not be told "the devs said something great today, but I can't tell you because NDA".  That will turn away the curious quickly, and has.

Slapshot1188DakeruJamesGoblincraftseekerAsm0deus

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    CoE's ideas don't exist in a vacuum. Nobody can discuss specific aspects of the game design without their overall opinion regarding the project's likely success "bleeding through".

So expect "the same criticisms" to surface in every discussion regarding CoE. It happens with every game, CoE will be no different.
    If someone is tired of hearing me ask 'where are these million people that the developer is counting on', maybe try supplying some answer to where these players will come from.  Or at least show that the developer has some idea about what their future customers are doing, a marketing plan to attract these people, or even points about why this game will appeal to a certain type of player.  Giving some clear factual indication that the project will actually be finished in our lifetimes would derail some of the hardest criticisms.

JamesGoblin

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.