Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Take Part in the Free Fly Weekend Through April 16th - Star Citizen - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited April 2018 in News & Features Discussion

imageTake Part in the Free Fly Weekend Through April 16th - Star Citizen - MMORPG.com

Star Citizen News - From now through April 16th, you can check out Star Citizen in its current alpha state for free. Using the code GetIntoTheVerse gives you entry into the game to try out several ships including the Mustang, Aurora MR, Cutlass Black or zoom around on the Cyclone while planetside. You'll also be able to try your hand at Arena Commander and Star Marine.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,295
    edited April 2018
    Finally CIG has another free fly event and people can check out Alpha 3.1.1. of Star Citizen.

Enjoy !

I recommend to participate in one of the vehicle or (ship) canyon races that players organize. Like Beggars Canyon run on Tatooine in Star Wars. Lots of fun and crashes ;-)

Have fun
    SBFord
  • NoxiousBassNoxiousBass Member UncommonPosts: 257
    Downloading now ;)
    Erillion
    Downloading now ;)
    It helps a lot to have 16GB RAM and an SSD for good performance.

Have fun
  • NoxiousBassNoxiousBass Member UncommonPosts: 257
    edited April 2018
    Erillion said:
    Downloading now ;)

Have fun
    I do have an SSD drive, but only have 10GB RAM.
    Don´t know if my Nvidia GTX960 will deliver enough power, but we´ll see.
  • SignexSignex Member UncommonPosts: 318
    Hmm going to pass for now, i don't think i can run this game at 3440x1440.
    AMD Ryzen 5800X3D - Gigabyte Aorus RTX 3080 10G Master - 16GB RAM
    Signex said:
    May be better to wait for some more optimization. You can check out the newest player made videos. It always amazes me what talent some guys have as (amateur) directors of videos !

Interesting stories made with limited assets and breathtaking visuals. In contrast i am happy if I can FRAPS some in game scenes for my friends ;-)

Have fun
  • SomethingUnusualSomethingUnusual Member UncommonPosts: 546
    I can't ever run it stable since 3.0. Optimization patches would be wonderful. If you've a lucky time window on stability, it's worth checking what they have so far. Steep control learning curve unless you're used to flight sims. Highly recommend a HOTAS. The missions, racing, and even jumping in the shooter matches are quite fun. Crusader still too long out from being persistent, and a majority of the stability issues I have within. I've not got to planet content -- crashes on me by the time I get to the atmospheric entry.

It's an ambitious project, but we'll see how it turns out. Optimization and more content and there would be a decently 'complete' game here. Good art team, lots of fan asset donations and dedication. It has it's niche, and will bloom from that.

About a year ago, I (and many others) suggested more user friendly and "holographic" com/nav/tac/ra UI for more flight function and awareness. And realism of course with ACLS systems, IFF etc. Seeing these functions come to light brought a glare to the eyes of us that wanted it. The asset art is still there of the mock panels, but the holos really covered nicely and cockpit reskins I'm sure are bound to happen to accommodate the badass new instrument info holos.

The fluff is cool, and they've taken input well. It's time to make a game before the reskins start happening though. The groundwork is there.
    Erillion[Deleted User]
  • tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227

Signex said:

I honestly never really understood comments like this... Maybe it is my upbringing on the bluer side of the collar but having to slip the resolution down a few pegs and remove some bling never hinderd me from enjoying a game.

Anyway...

While i am curious to see how this run these days i have always found that flying the game with a mouse and KB is a bit of a hassle. So time will tell if i can be arsed to download it.

Still.. it is a crazy good looking game for the most part.
    [Deleted User]LackingMMO

This have been a good conversation

• F2PlagueF2Plague Member UncommonPosts: 232

tawess said:

Signex said:

I honestly never really understood comments like this... Maybe it is my upbringing on the bluer side of the collar but having to slip the resolution down a few pegs and remove some bling never hinderd me from enjoying a game.

Anyway...

While i am curious to see how this run these days i have always found that flying the game with a mouse and KB is a bit of a hassle. So time will tell if i can be arsed to download it.

He just really needed to tell someone about his new ultra wide monitor..
    Kilrane
  • hoenens1hoenens1 Member UncommonPosts: 310
    Where to even enter that code?
  • GinazGinaz Member RarePosts: 2,455

tawess said:

Signex said:

Anyway...

I still play everything at 1920 x 1080 and I'm quite happy with it.
    [Deleted User]

Is a man not entitled to the herp of his derp?

Remember, I live in a world where juggalos and yugioh players are real things.

• JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849
    Is this worth a download ? Iv always wanted to try this but whenever i watch streams of SC i feel like whats the point when i have Elite Dangerous, Should i give this a go?
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

• DijonCyanideDijonCyanide Member UncommonPosts: 586
    I'm still keeping my fingers crossed for this game in the future with all it's lofty promises, but it also has lofty pricing. In vids it looks good & has really nice interactions per space & ground. I'm glad they offer these limited peeks into the SC game from time to time though because then it might quench some of the naysayers. I wish Elite Dangerous would try to implement some of SC's concepts, but at least ED is released.
  • AvanahAvanah Member RarePosts: 1,615
    edited April 2018
    By the time I download this huge game the weekend will be over. ;)
    joking..

It's about 40 Gigs so watch Vids, Bake Cookies, get some air in the meantime. Takes about 20-30 mins depending on your IP.

Edit: Loaded it up and it is so buggy. Didn't even get past Character creation before I uninstalled it.
    Post edited by Avanah on

"My Fantasy is having two men at once...

One Cooking and One Cleaning!"

---------------------------

"A good man can make you feel sexy,

strong and able to take on the whole world...

oh sorry...that's wine...wine does that..."

• rawfoxrawfox Member UncommonPosts: 788
    Erillion said:
    Downloading now ;)

Have fun
    My gtx1060 does the job good enuff so i assume your 960 will do as well, but my 8gb memory is a hickup i guess.
    Once Windows is bootet, i have 5,6gb left but ill win that darn auction on ebay tomorrow, then i have 32gb ram xD

Wish me luck ^^

btw, with only my small memory i always had a playable experience, but never forget, its still a real alpha ^^
  • rawfoxrawfox Member UncommonPosts: 788
    thunderC said:
    Is this worth a download ? Iv always wanted to try this but whenever i watch streams of SC i feel like whats the point when i have Elite Dangerous, Should i give this a go?
    Its at least different and it looks pretty awesome.
    Im in for some years already, only with my Aurora and i really enjoy the game getting bigger and bigger.
    We dont had a persistant universe for years, before we had this little test universe before we have this now obvious mutch bigger environment.

JeffSpicoliErillion
  • Starlord75Starlord75 Member UncommonPosts: 2
    Hey Everyone, Just a reminder, you can use this referral code to get an additional $5's worth of in game credits (5,000UEC) when you buy the game: STAR-7JG7-BVR5
    link: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/enlist?referral=STAR-7JG7-BVR5
  • bonzoso21bonzoso21 Member UncommonPosts: 380
    edited April 2018
    Downloaded and have tried it a couple times for an hour or so each time accomplishing nothing while I try to figure out how to get to a mission objective and then the client crashes when I get close. Don't accidentally stand up inside the starter light freighter cause you'll get stuck clipping through the ship and have to relog. Old-but-OCd i7 2600k, gtx970, 32gb of DDR3, and an 840Evo SSD...holy hell does it run poorly. I'll check it out again in 3 years on Alpha v7.
    BananaSoup
  • SpiiderSpiider Member RarePosts: 1,135
    Anyone has any comments already? I'm curious.

No fate but what we make, so make me a ham sandwich please.

• gandlesgandles Member UncommonPosts: 84
    Downloaded this, tried playing for about 30 mins. Way too unstable of a build, ultimately I had to uninstall. I really want to play this.
  • vanderghastvanderghast Member UncommonPosts: 308

Spiider said:

Anyone has any comments already? I'm curious.

Clearly an alpha, not worth the download time at this point in my opinion.
  • alancodealancode Member UncommonPosts: 163
    Honestly...unplayable.

Super buggy, bad optimization, just does not run well even with a nice rig.

Not worth it at the moment. Kinda sad it's not, but oh well. Ill come back in a few years.

(-_-)

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,882
    rawfox said:
    Erillion said:
    Downloading now ;)

Have fun
    My gtx1060 does the job good enuff so i assume your 960 will do as well, but my 8gb memory is a hickup i guess.
    GTX 1060 is maybe 60% faster than GTX 960.
    Asm0deus

• bonzoso21bonzoso21 Member UncommonPosts: 380
    Three hours on a free weekend is obviously not enough to judge an ambitious game like this, but I'm going to anyway...being 7 years into development with over $150million in funding and 2½ years since the Crusader module went up, I'm actually surprised by how little of a playable game there is here and why so many supporters continue to sing its praises. The cynic in me always kind of assumed they bit off way more than they could chew and that Star Citizen could turn out to be this decade's Duke Nukem Forever but 10x worse, but I WANT this game to be awesome. It would be great if they were less focused on physics or building more ships or creating full alien languages or finding more insane digital BS to sell for exorbitant amounts of money, and more focused on having an actual polished game that plays and controls well and is fun and might launch before 2025.
    sgel
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    bonzoso21 said:
    Three hours on a free weekend is obviously not enough to judge an ambitious game like this, but I'm going to anyway...being 7 years into development with over $150million in funding and 2½ years since the Crusader module went up, I'm actually surprised by how little of a playable game there is here and why so many supporters continue to sing its praises. The cynic in me always kind of assumed they bit off way more than they could chew and that Star Citizen could turn out to be this decade's Duke Nukem Forever but 10x worse, but I WANT this game to be awesome. It would be great if they were less focused on physics or building more ships or creating full alien languages or finding more insane digital BS to sell for exorbitant amounts of money, and more focused on having an actual polished game that plays and controls well and is fun and might launch before 2025.
    Yeah, its a bit of a puzzle. So many people struggling here with bugs and poor performance, yet others discuss all of the "fun" they are having while playing the game.

Hard to know where the reality of things are.

:| 
    sgel

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon