Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Help.. Ever since my laptop's screen got repaired, my nVIDIA card isn't working!

CorileannaCorileanna Member UncommonPosts: 94
It gives me an error when i try to use the nVIDIA control panel or set the card as active for any games. :/

Is there any way i can fix it myself, it couldn't be that when they repaired the screen, they messed up something connected inside could it? Any advice..?

Comments

• sayuusayuu Member RarePosts: 766
    my advice it to take it back to whomever fixed it and have them rectify the problem. . .and if they won't sue them in small claims court.
    Moirae
  • GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657
    edited April 2018
    For each program you can't run because of this error do the following.  Right click on the application executable and/or it's short cut. Select Properties and the check the box for Run this program as Administrator.  This includes the Nvidia Control Panel 

Error, Will Robinson, Error.  Ignore the following.  At least until your tried the above.

I googled the error message you're receiving after I wrote all this stuff.  This is a big diagnostic fuck up on my part.  Try the above first.

Replacing a screen on a laptop has absolutely no effect on the software drivers used by the GPU (in your case an Nvidia GPU).  The tech doesn't even need access to your operating system.  If the OS boot logo shows up then the new screen works. 

They fucked something up. Make them fix it without charge while you wait.  If it's what I think they did it should take less than 5 minutes to correct.  It initially sounds like they  created a new user account, removed your Administrator rights to your own computer and gave those rights to the new user. 

I used to work as a warranty hardware repair tech and did screen replacements among other things.  The manufacturer's (Dell/Alienware) policy was if the boot screen showed then the work was successfully done. Techs were prohibited from making any software changes unless directed by phone support.

IF you want to do it yourself then you need to replace the Nvidia drivers and related software with a fresh install of them.  But to do that you need Administrator rights.  If this is a Toshiba PC then you will need to get those from Toshiba.  Otherwise you should be able to get them from Nvidia.
    Post edited by Grunty on
    Asm0deus
    "I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • CorileannaCorileanna Member UncommonPosts: 94
    Okay, i tried running as admin, no change..

But hmm, they did reset my OS when they gave the Laptop back, and it has been not working well for games since, i had to redo it when i got it back, i will check my admin rights. But it's a Laptop i got from Rent a Center, and isn't fully paid for. When the screen got spider webbed and i had them send it out for repair, they said they shouldn't need to reset the OS, but they did, and i had to try and restore a few of my important files back with a USB.. Hope it's easily fixed. Ugh. :/

Does that look correct?
  • GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657
    edited April 2018
    Yes, that account is an Administrator and has full rights to all hardware and software on the PC.  Even when the account is a Administrator then applications, especially games, may still have to individually be marked to run as an Administrator.
    "I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,350
    But it's a Laptop i got from Rent a Center, and isn't fully paid for.
    If it's one of those rent-to-own places, that's basically a scam.  By the time you "own" it, you'll have paid about three times as much as it would have cost to buy it in the first place.  The solution is probably to stop renting that laptop and just go buy one.  If you can't afford to buy a cheap laptop, then start saving your money until you can.
    SovrathrojoArcueid
    Yes, true. It cost about 2.5x more in the long run, but yea i can't afford a decent gaming laptop to buy out right at the moment, and my credit score is pretty shot from my mom using it and i can't seem to fix it fully. I only ever qualify for secured credit cards now, which isn't a high enough limit. I thought maybe a site like QVC or Home shopping network, might be a bit better but still more expensive than just buying one.. I wish i had more income, or that school was easier to do with my poor health so i could afford nice things someday. :/
  • Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,405
    Yes, true. It cost about 2.5x more in the long run, but yea i can't afford a decent gaming laptop to buy out right at the moment, and my credit score is pretty shot from my mom using it and i can't seem to fix it fully. I only ever qualify for secured credit cards now, which isn't a high enough limit. I thought maybe a site like QVC or Home shopping network, might be a bit better but still more expensive than just buying one.. I wish i had more income, or that school was easier to do with my poor health so i could afford nice things someday. :/
    Can you not get a capitolone CC? 

You should be able to get a 300 credit one, you most likely will have to give a deposit and there a yearly fee, but if you use it monthly even a small amount and pay it off by the due date you credit score will go back up and eventually they will send a letter with a check back for the amount of the deposit.  Keep using it like that and eventually they will up your limit to like 2 grand.

It's a longer process but will get your score back on track if you had credit issues in the past.
    KyleranVrika

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002
    Asm0deus said:

It's a longer process but will get your score back on track if you had credit issues in the past.
    This is true, one can get their credit back to excellent shape.

Also, the issue is not "using one's credit card" it's "paying" the credit card.

@OP: make sure you always pay more than the minimum and always make sure you make your payment, never miss it.

If you can take the credit card away from your mother and have her ask you to purchase items so you can keep track of spending then do it. That will work better for you in the long run.

As far as the laptop, I'm not sure why, if it's a rental, you didn't take it to the company that rented it to you to do any upkeep/replacing of parts. You might be liable for any damage done to that computer.

Also, you might be able to find a decent computer on e-bay (does it have to be a laptop?). I have a friend who solely buys her computers from e-bay as she doesn't want to pay full price. She's had decent luck.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163
    You should have tried Dell. They seem to hand out credit to anyone.
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180
    Tiller said:
    You should have tried Dell. They seem to hand out credit to anyone.
    Most of the time direct store cards will give you credit, like an Amazon store card, or Best Buy, cards you can only use at those retailers. 

There are pretty decent credit score services out there, I use Credit Karma for my wife because she has good credit but didn't keep track of her payments and costs very well and it began to spiral a bit, and it was really easy to see everything in one account, if anything was negative or affecting her credit...

And they also give recommendations on what credit you may qualify for.  She qualified for a loan to consolidate her high interest debt she'd been paying on for 3 years, now with the loan we know it'll all be paid off in 2 years and she'll be totally out of debt.

• RenoakuRenoaku Member EpicPosts: 3,157
    edited April 2018
    Honestly I would avoid most Laptop for gaming they generally are not worth the price and suck, if gaming from Home Build an I7, 32 Gigs DDR4-3600 or higher, and use an ASUS ROG board, personally I love any setup like this although others debate the new Threadripper and stuff too I  haven't tested personally can't say but generally any custom built desktop is better.

The Exception is work and travel if you do this a lot can't stay at home like after work every day then, by all means, get a laptop, but I personally Wouldn't recommend Dell for sure, all the places I know using Dell PC's complain of lag and slowness compared to having like even an ASUS Laptop or something.

Personally Dell, HP, Alienware are the top 3 piece of crap brands IMO, the parts they use are generic and I had someone waste $1,200 USD on a I7 HP computer from Best Buy the store refund to refund and only issued store credit so I suggested they take the gift card then and buy parts / resell those to others through ebay, or offer-up etc because no one in their right mind would buy such a crappy PC for gaming, like if someone offers you something and you can't afford it and have to accept a crap computer I understand that but if your spending that much money you might as well build one better yourself that lasts longer, has better grade hardware and is actually for gaming................. And most places that offer credit tend to jack up the price on things, for example, a place where a Stove or Computer is valued at $400 you tend to pay $800 because it's on Credit or something I really hate places like this.

SovrathCorileanna
    Renoaku said:
    Honestly I would avoid most Laptop for gaming they generally are not worth the price and suck, if gaming from Home Build an I7, 32 Gigs DDR4-3600 or higher, and use an ASUS ROG board, personally I love any setup like this although others debate the new Threadripper and stuff too I  haven't tested personally can't say but generally any custom built desktop is better.

The Exception is work and travel if you do this a lot can't stay at home like after work every day then, by all means, get a laptop, but I personally Wouldn't recommend Dell for sure, all the places I know using Dell PC's complain of lag and slowness compared to having like even an ASUS Laptop or something.

Personally Dell, HP, Alienware are the top 3 piece of crap brands IMO, the parts they use are generic and I had someone waste $1,200 USD on a I7 HP computer from Best Buy the store refund to refund and only issued store credit so I suggested they take the gift card then and buy parts / resell those to others through ebay, or offer-up etc because no one in their right mind would buy such a crappy PC for gaming, like if someone offers you something and you can't afford it and have to accept a crap computer I understand that but if your spending that much money you might as well build one better yourself that lasts longer, has better grade hardware and is actually for gaming................. And most places that offer credit tend to jack up the price on things, for example, a place where a Stove or Computer is valued at $400 you tend to pay $800 because it's on Credit or something I really hate places like this.

I wouldn't go that far. Gaming laptops are actually pretty good for gaming.  I always make sure that I get a new gaming laptop every 4 or 5 years, because I like to do photo and video editing and I also play some games in bed which is convenient.

Amazon store cards are a good bet also, because you can find excellent deals, but you can also buy parts if you want too.

My last laptop I bought from amazon was an asus, good price to performance, I only paid about 800 or so, and it has a gtx 960m in it.  Not top of the line and outdated now but at the time it was a good buy. Still plays everything I want to play at a decent framerate, but it's starting to slow down in the video editing department.  I'll probably upgrade later this year or next year.

If the place that "repaired" your laptop broke it, shouldn't they have to fix what they broke?

But there's a broader principle involved here.  It has been said that compound interest is the most powerful force in the universe.  Trying to fight against it isn't going to end well for you.

If you can pay up front, your credit score doesn't matter.  No one responds to a cash payment by saying, wait, I need to check your credit score.  If you don't have the money up front, then that's the problem, not your credit score.  Even if you could put a gaming laptop on a credit card, if you don't have the money to pay off the card immediately, you shouldn't.  If you're using a credit card and not paying off the balance in its entirety every month, then you're doing it wrong.

Some people go through life carrying a bunch of maxed-out credit cards and paying thousands of dollars per year in interest and fees alone.  Make the effort to get out of debt once and don't put that back into extra spending later and you could come out hundreds of thousands of dollars ahead over a lifetime.

You should probably return the laptop to the Rent a Center and get that onerous debt out of your life.  If you don't have the money to buy one outright (not rent, and not on credit), then maybe you'll have to do without for a while as you save up.  Careening from the brink of one financial disaster to the next is a terrible way to go through life.  I can understand taking on onerous debts because you need food to eat, but not to play games.

Maybe you'd be in for a rough few months while you save up the money to buy a laptop outright, or perhaps pay off other debts.  But the alternative is being in financial trouble for the entire rest of your life.
    Renoaku said:

I wouldn't go that far. Gaming laptops are actually pretty good for gaming.  I always make sure that I get a new gaming laptop every 4 or 5 years, because I like to do photo and video editing and I also play some games in bed which is convenient.

Amazon store cards are a good bet also, because you can find excellent deals, but you can also buy parts if you want too.

My last laptop I bought from amazon was an asus, good price to performance, I only paid about 800 or so, and it has a gtx 960m in it.  Not top of the line and outdated now but at the time it was a good buy. Still plays everything I want to play at a decent framerate, but it's starting to slow down in the video editing department.  I'll probably upgrade later this year or next year.
    The immediate problem of drivers being unaware of which GPU to use is one that desktops are immune to.

Speaking of which, you might be able to solve the problem by installing the proper video drivers.
    maskedweasel
    Quizzical said:
    Renoaku said:

The immediate problem of drivers being unaware of which GPU to use is one that desktops are immune to.

Speaking of which, you might be able to solve the problem by installing the proper video drivers.
    I think it's just the age, and amount of programs I utilize now.. not to mention fragmentation between all the different partitions I have setup, I try and keep the drivers updated as best as I can, but I suppose it wouldn't hurt to see if a recent update will help.  

While it's outdated  (the laptop) it's still pretty decent. I try and do all my large file video editing on my desktop now, but thanks for the recommendation :) I'll let you know if it helped

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    edited April 2018
    Grunty said:
    Yes, that account is an Administrator and has full rights to all hardware and software on the PC.  Even when the account is a Administrator then applications, especially games, may still have to individually be marked to run as an Administrator.
    @Corileanna ;
    Even though you are an Administrator you may need to do the following:

Go into Control Panel; Systems and Security; Change User Account Control (UAC) Settings. Its a slider and by default it will be set just below the top setting. Move it down to Never notify. Try to run as Administrator again etc. (Essentially Windows has layered security.)

Don't forget to reset the UAC afterwards - whether it works or not.
    Quizzical said:
    Renoaku said:

I think it's just the age, and amount of programs I utilize now.. not to mention fragmentation between all the different partitions I have setup, I try and keep the drivers updated as best as I can, but I suppose it wouldn't hurt to see if a recent update will help.  

While it's outdated  (the laptop) it's still pretty decent. I try and do all my large file video editing on my desktop now, but thanks for the recommendation :) I'll let you know if it helped

I meant that the original poster might be able to solve his problem by installing the proper video drivers.  Sorry for not making that clear.
    maskedweasel
    Quizzical said:
    Quizzical said:
    Renoaku said:

I meant that the original poster might be able to solve his problem by installing the proper video drivers.  Sorry for not making that clear.
    Tried a clean install of the drivers, now the Geforce Driver is missing from the Device Manager list, and the install gave a fatal error even running it as admin. o.o I drop it off to be fixed tomorrow, and my credit isn't easily repaired with a secured card as i have not just purchases, my mother used a credit cards in my nae for unpaid utilities bills from our last apartment, one is 440 and the other is $867, i tried disputing them, saying i didn't use my name for it, was my mom's lease and i want it removed, but they want proof and she won't admit that. :/ Also i am worried if i did get a card, paying the minimum each month might get messed up if i got lazy or impulsive and bought too much. i basically budget each month for now, try to prioritize bills, food and needs over any extras such as games or fun. but SSI doesn't get me far, and i can't work yet, still in school. My fiancee is only able to do part time right now, as this town has an issue hiring people. So we have lots of trouble paying everything. Especially giving my mom rent. She want's like 40% of our income, and the rent is enough for my parents to cover. not my fault they buy so much food. Just so stressed. Might switch the laptop out and try to get a deal for one online to buy but as you see monthly income is low.. :/