Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What would you want to see in a Collector's Edition?

AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
I remember buying the WoW Collector's edition. It came with a little Diablo pet. That thing was really cool and these days it is very rare. Sadly, on one of the many occasions I quit WoW I lost that account and with it the Diablo pet. :( 

I doubt Pantheon will have this sort of thing. Which raises the issue, what if anything should it have?

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

kj88price

Comments

• BeezerbeezBeezerbeez Member UncommonPosts: 302
    While this is probably a long way off, it's a good chance for them to make a bit of extra money. I haven't seen any pets or glamour/fashion system in demos yet. I'm not sure if that's even in the cards.

If they release a physical version, I think a cloth map and some figurines would be cool. More than those, I tend to appreciate lore and art books the most. 

For a virtual purchase, maybe a special cape to commemorate and a special title or something like that.
    kj88price
  • Nightbringe1Nightbringe1 Member UncommonPosts: 1,335
    edited April 2018

These days, a physical copy could be the collector's edition.

It's something most games don't have these days, but might still appeal to people who played EQ back when it still released in boxes instead of download only.

Gyva02

Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain and most fools do.
    Benjamin Franklin

• MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609

It's something most games don't have these days, but might still appeal to people who played EQ back when it still released in boxes instead of download only.

My question would be: where are they planning to sell a physical copy?  Most all the computer stores are either closed, or have given up on PC gaming.  Digital sales make too much financial sense -- no physical media creation, no box art and no worries about shelf space for retailers.

The real temptation with a digital collector's edition is giving away exclusive in-game items.  If it is too exclusive (not otherwise obtainable in-game), the game opens itself up to claims of P2W, even for cosmetic only items.

I'd actually prefer a printed tee.  Or better yet, a classy golf shirt.  Even a cap would do.  But that gets back into the physical costs and distribution thing.  Tough line to walk.

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• Gyva02Gyva02 Member RarePosts: 499
    I vote cloth map 
    svann[Deleted User]Kumapon
  • svannsvann Member RarePosts: 2,230
    3 months sub?
    [Deleted User]
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    A sort of guide, not unlike the old Prima guides but with less precise information, that could actually be used to help me navigate and adventure in the game world.

Bonus points if it's a leather-bound tome and written in a style akin to the Canterbury Tales or book of Kells.  I'd consider paying a few hundred if it's quality.
    [Deleted User]kj88price

• acidbloodacidblood Member RarePosts: 878

Maybe it's just me, but I much prefer 'behind-the-scenes' stuff to anything in-game. So, for a CE (digital or physical), it would nice to seeing things like a map (cloth or high-res), art / lore book, high quality sound track, dev dairy videos, high res wallpapers, etc.

If they have to go in-game... at this stage, just no, Pantheon is not established enough to give anything of meaning (e.g. a Diablo pet), so any sort of cosmetic stuff / title would be little more than a swinging dick with no achievement or attachment behind it.

• LokeroLokero Member RarePosts: 1,514
    The only thing I've ever seen in CE that I liked was the art books.  Or, other art-based things like the EQ cloth map, as mentioned above.
    I never cared much about the other stuff.  But, art is art, and is pretty universal.

As for digital stuff, I'm sure they'll go with some type of in-game pets or something if they do a digital rewards CE.  Maybe an extra character slot or a title or something.
    That's the typical stuff I'd expect to see, and those things don't bother me.

Things I never was a fan of:
    Flashy, "special" in-game equipment models, unique mounts, etc.  I don't think buying the CE should make your character look epic and like they've been all over the world and done it all before they are a day old.
    Say no to level 1s with flaming swords and armored wildebeest mounts.
  • delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    A small little island that only collectors edition people can zone too, much like WoW Druids.  

Nothing game breaking, maybe a few venders that give minor perks, and for rest and relaxation and maybe a badge to display that your one of them and a secret handshake or several emotes in a language that only CE people can understand. 

A beautiful beach with lounge chairs and special actions happening in the water like dolphins and ships and such :)  

Make it something that people really want !!!!
  • WellspringWellspring Member EpicPosts: 1,464
    A small little island that only collectors edition people can zone too, much like WoW Druids.  

Nothing game breaking, maybe a few venders that give minor perks, and for rest and relaxation and maybe a badge to display that your one of them and a secret handshake or several emotes in a language that only CE people can understand. 

A beautiful beach with lounge chairs and special actions happening in the water like dolphins and ships and such :)  

Make it something that people really want !!!!
    If you buy the right pledge package you already get access to a special zone. Like the GM guild hall or something I thought? It doesn't look like it's on the pledge packages anymore, but it used to be included. 
    --------------------------------------------
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    There was access to a "special" area in SWTOR for buying the CE. It sounded good in principle. But what a lot of nothing.

Go up a lift. Stand there. Tap foot. Examine vendors who sold nothing interesting. Tap foot. Leave. 

I'm not saying it has to suck. It just sucked in SWTOR. 

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• Nightbringe1Nightbringe1 Member UncommonPosts: 1,335
    edited April 2018
    Mendel said:

My question would be: where are they planning to sell a physical copy?  Most all the computer stores are either closed, or have given up on PC gaming.  Digital sales make too much financial sense -- no physical media creation, no box art and no worries about shelf space for retailers.

Amazon and/or their own website.

Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain and most fools do.
    Benjamin Franklin