Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Steam Spy is pretty much dead

NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916

R.I.P.

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

Comments

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657
    edited April 2018
    Good job, Valve. Thanks.  Of course my information shouldn't have been public in the first place
    TillerAsheram
    "I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • AsheramAsheram Member EpicPosts: 5,071
    Damn I didn't even know about this steamspy thing, lol. I am glad they made it player choice now. And to the guys in the video, how can you validate invading my privacy? Good job Steam thank you, and I agree with Grunty.
  • SandmanjwSandmanjw Member RarePosts: 527
    As a person i have to say good...privacy, what tiny bit we have on-line anymore, is important. 

As a gamer, and one that likes a lot of info to make decisions on, i am quite mixed. Losing some data, that will most likely never be back, just makes it easier for shady practices to flourish. 

Nyctelios said:
    Couldn't they find a middle ground?

Steam Spy and Steam Chart does a great job providing numbers for more in depth discussions about marketplace.
    There is a middle ground now isn't there, the option for those that don't mind it to allow it in options? No one else can look at my steam profile because its set to private so why should steamspy be able too?
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163
    Well question is, was he selling this data for any kind of profit, or was he profiting off it? Data is big business. It makes sense that Steam would want to put a lid on it. I never used the site since I can get a pretty good idea of a gme's popularity based on the available options on Steam itself. As for tracking sales, there is good site for that and it's not invading anyone's privacy.
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

DMKano said:
    Asheram said:
    Nyctelios said:
    Couldn't they find a middle ground?

Steam Spy and Steam Chart does a great job providing numbers for more in depth discussions about marketplace.
    There is a middle ground now isn't there, the option for those that don't mind it to allow it in options? No one else can look at my steam profile because its set to private so why should steamspy be able too?

If you had your profile to not be public - steam spy couldn't read it.
    Oh, ok ty for the fyi.
  • AnOldFartAnOldFart Member RarePosts: 562
    So a guy was getting my gaming data off steam and using it to earn himself an income...

And I'm supposed to be upset this has stopped?

I think not
    Scorchien[Deleted User]
  • ManestreamManestream Member UncommonPosts: 941
    dont know what steam spy was. reading here it seems it only detected what game you was playing and how long for so it could register how many users played said game during said times.
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163
    Nyctelios said:
    AnOldFart said:
    So a guy was getting my gaming data off steam and using it to earn himself an income...

And I'm supposed to be upset this has stopped?

I think not
    His data was used as source to many discussion regards companies lying about numbers and so on. It was a good thing and he was not checking your nude mods or how many screen shots of furry spiderman you have on Skyrim. Nothing someone wouldn't answer if asked to politely.
    There is a furry spiderman mod? lol why?
    MrMelGibson
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

edited April 2018
    This change in user privacy appears in part to be a result of Steam's response to recent EU laws requiring default opt-in protection of personal information.
    [Deleted User]MrMelGibson
    "I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • sayuusayuu Member RarePosts: 766
    all these people mad/shocked about a website profiting on their public info has me wondering what part of the definition of public they don't understand. . .
    edited April 2018
    I'm not shocked or upset.

I'm annoyed some people moan like bi***es because steam increased my privacy and it affected their revenue.

This information should never have been public, it's like my bank sharing what purchases I made on my bank account to show which are the more popular shops...
    [Deleted User]MrMelGibson
  • cameltosiscameltosis Member LegendaryPosts: 3,706
    For those that aren't aware, on May 25th the General Data Protection Regulation comes into force. This is a new EU regulation that affects every single business that handles the personal data of EU citizens. 

The GDPR is attempting a massive paradigm shift in the way we think about personal data. It is shifting ownership of personal data back onto the data subjects (us) and companies will now have to explicitly tell us what data they are collecting, where that data is stored and what the data is used for. 

Beyond that, it is enshrining in law 8 new rights that we have over our own personal data. The one most of you will have heard of is the right to be forgotten, but the other 7 are just as important.

So, my expectation is this change to Steam is just Valve getting ready for the GDPR next month. Allowing Steam Spy access to the data if it includes personal data will be against the law soon. A username or a user ID counts as personal data. If Valve want to open up the data again then they will have to anonymise it first. 

The penalties for non-compliance with these new laws are quite severe too. You can be fined up to 20million euros or 4% of global annual turnover, whichever is highest. For a massive company like Valve, the fine would be absolutely massive so they're not going to want to take risks. 

I'm really curious to see how Facebook are going to handle the GDPR as it has the potential to ruin the business. For example, we are gaining new rights regarding automated decision making and profiling and can request that our personal data is not used for this. Automated decision making and profiling is how Facebook's advertising platform works (and is what was exploited to influence the US election) so I would guess that they won't be able to charge as much for advertising as it won't be as targeted as before. Assuming they comply and don't find a loophole....
    AlBQuirkyMrMelGibson
  • dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699
    Most of you post your life history on social media.  Since when is privacy a major concern?
    AlBQuirky

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

• GolelornGolelorn Member RarePosts: 1,395
    AnOldFart said:

I'm annoyed some people moan like bi***es because steam increased my privacy and it affected their revenue.

This information should never have been public, it's like my bank sharing what purchases I made on my bank account to show which are the more popular shops...
    I hate to burst your bubble, but they do this in aggregate already.
    Golelorn said:
    AnOldFart said:

I hate to burst your bubble, but they do this in aggregate already.
    Some banks do, and some.banks are required by law to share the information with other financial establishments if you request them to.

I read the small print and my bank doesn't 
    sayuu said:
    all these people mad/shocked about a website profiting on their public info has me wondering what part of the definition of public they don't understand. . .
    Well, there's the rub.  This isn't public information. It's personal information.  The only similarity between the two is both words start with the letter P.
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    I dont think anyones Privates should be open to Public Scrutiny , unless thats what they choose..
    laseritAlBQuirky
  • laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    This shit is getting way out of hand

Glad governments are finally moving on this. If anyone is going to make money on my personal information it is going to be me.
    Sinsai

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
    I guess I never thought of Steamspy how everyone else seems to.  I kinda liked the fact I could see how many copies of a game sold. But I guess I understand the privacy concerns as well. 
  • sayuusayuu Member RarePosts: 766
    Grunty said:
    sayuu said:
    Well, there's the rub.  This isn't public information. It's personal information.  The only similarity between the two is both words start with the letter P.

when you signed Steam's terms of service before the change it became public by default with the option to make it private.

now, after the change, the information is private between the user and Valve by default with the option to make it public.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Only thing i can think of is that Valve doesn't want negativity numbers on their non popular games because that means less sales..
    The popular games feed themselves so that information never mattered.I do not think Valve cares at all about you or your  personal information,they simply follow the in place laws.This imo as usual with big business all about Valve and not about you.

We all have credit ratings,so your information is already sort of shared and you can bet the government has massive computer files on all of us and intercepts millions of terabytes in information everyday.
    I also have seen the past few years that when government officials are caught doing something illegal they cry foul about their personal information and want to completely stop it for obvious reasons.
    So there is a lot of good and bad about information sharing,if your local government official is a criminal you want to know right?

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• cameltosiscameltosis Member LegendaryPosts: 3,706
    I guess I never thought of Steamspy how everyone else seems to.  I kinda liked the fact I could see how many copies of a game sold. But I guess I understand the privacy concerns as well. 
    I like what Steamspy does too, not that I use it much but it's a good service. 

I think it'll end up coming back, it's just that their method of gathering data is going to have to change. If the data captured didn't include any personal data (i.e. username / ID) then it'd be fine.