Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What the hell am I missing here with ESO?

Comments

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,058
    <snip>

The world scales to your level, I can NOT stand it when an mmorpg or any game for that matter does this. 

If you don't like it you don't like it. However a minor point:

The world doesn't scale to your level. It is not like some other games.

The world is "set" to a "level 50" (aka CP160). Doesn't mean all the mobs are the same - there are easy mobs, normal mobs, bosses, arch bosses, swarms and so forth. Their level is set however and doesn't change.

What happens is that new level 1 characters are provided with a "boost". A somewhat sophisticated boost as well that diminishes as they approach level 50. Once they get to "level 50" there is no more boost. Ever.

This was done to accomodate the desire that was expressed for people to "go anywhere". And one consequence is that there are no starter areas - so often devoid of people in an established game. Or any "end zones" - being the only place that anyone ever quests in.

And in terms of the "journey" going from level 1 to level 50 is a relatively small part of the path, 20% say.

(Someone who plays a lot of alts will - sort of - do the 1-50 more often but its not the same. Sort of because the game is very alt friendly.) 
    Cyber_wastelandYashaXJean-Luc_PicardMrMelGibson
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,058
    Sovrath said:
    Alomar said:
    The game's very much directed for/aimed at casual pve'ers and rp'ers all of whom are die-hard ES fans. I half believe the reason we haven't seen ES 6 yet is to keep them in this game rather than replaying and modding a new one for years.
    nah, they are different companies. Bethesda is working on 3 other games at the moment.

And "yeah" I get it, eventually people want to do different things.
    It could be a factor. At the end of the day - and at the level that the profit and loss sheet is ultmately  assessed - they are the same "big company". And decisions will be made to (try and) maximise profits.

In the same way,say, that companies that make films are distinct. Ultimately it is the studios (and distributoes etc.) that decide when to release the films, timed in order to maximise revenue.

Also all the lore stuff is checked off as well - or was anyway. Maybe ZoS is the current custodian of the task.
  • Jean-Luc_PicardJean-Luc_Picard Member LegendaryPosts: 8,011
    edited April 2018

The world scales to your level, I can NOT stand it when an mmorpg or any game for that matter does this. 
    Yep. Because it's logical than an arrow that could kill you at level 10 doesn't do any noticeable damage to you when you're level 20.

In ESO, you become (much) more powerful still, but never invulnerable like in those heavily level dependent EQ/WoW clones. And I personally think it's a major improvement.
    SetzerlaseritMrMelGibson
    "The ability to speak doesn't make you intelligent" - Qui-gon Jinn in Star Wars.
    After many years of reading Internet forums, there's no doubt that nor does the ability to write.
    CPU: Core I7 9700k (4.90ghz) - GPU: Gigabyte GTX 980 Ti G1 Gaming - RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX Savage DDR4 3000 - Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra - PSU: Antec TruePower New 750W - Storage: Kingston KC1000 NVMe 960gb SSD and 2x1TB WD Velociraptor HDDs (Raid 0) - Main display: Philips 40PUK6809 4K 3D TV - Second display: Philips 273v 27" gaming monitor - VR: Pimax 8K headset and Razer Hydra controllers - Soundcard: Sony STR-DH550 AV Receiver HDMI linked with the GPU and the TV, with Jamo S 426 HS 3 5.0 speakers and Pioneer S-21W subwoofer - OS: Windows 10 Pro 64 bits.

• eddieg50eddieg50 Member UncommonPosts: 1,806
    Op you are correct. The combat is OK but could certainly be better, the stories are again OK but not nearly as good as SWTOR or Secret World or even STO. Level scaling really killed it for me, it took away all the challenge. Crafting again OK. PvP confusing and OK at best. Thus there is the problem, it is an OK game, it does not excell in any one area, at least SWTOR and SW excell in story telling. Why would I waste time playing an OK mmo when I can play an excellent single player game like Witcher series, Skyrim, even Kingdom Come?  
    SetzerJeroKaneMrMelGibson
  • SetzerSetzer Member UncommonPosts: 226
    eddieg50 said:
    Op you are correct. The combat is OK but could certainly be better, the stories are again OK but not nearly as good as SWTOR or Secret World or even STO. Level scaling really killed it for me, it took away all the challenge. Crafting again OK. PvP confusing and OK at best. Thus there is the problem, it is an OK game, it does not excell in any one area, at least SWTOR and SW excell in story telling. Why would I waste time playing an OK mmo when I can play an excellent single player game like Witcher series, Skyrim, even Kingdom Come?  
    I fail to see how level scaling takes away all the challenge. Also, you do realize Witcher 3 and Skyrim both use level scaling?
    Jean-Luc_PicardMrMelGibson
  • DarkestOverlordDarkestOverlord Member UncommonPosts: 536
    You are missing the scatman ! BABOBEEE SKIPPEDI BADBOOEEH !

edited April 2018
    Zamuro said:
    a bad game with a wooden gameplay.
    Typical of the guy who never left the first hour of starter island back in 2014, if he ever played.

I'm not going to blame you, because I was like you. And then came "One Tamriel", making it on of the best MMORPG on the market.
    MrMelGibson
    "The ability to speak doesn't make you intelligent" - Qui-gon Jinn in Star Wars.
    After many years of reading Internet forums, there's no doubt that nor does the ability to write.
    CPU: Core I7 9700k (4.90ghz) - GPU: Gigabyte GTX 980 Ti G1 Gaming - RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX Savage DDR4 3000 - Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra - PSU: Antec TruePower New 750W - Storage: Kingston KC1000 NVMe 960gb SSD and 2x1TB WD Velociraptor HDDs (Raid 0) - Main display: Philips 40PUK6809 4K 3D TV - Second display: Philips 273v 27" gaming monitor - VR: Pimax 8K headset and Razer Hydra controllers - Soundcard: Sony STR-DH550 AV Receiver HDMI linked with the GPU and the TV, with Jamo S 426 HS 3 5.0 speakers and Pioneer S-21W subwoofer - OS: Windows 10 Pro 64 bits.

• DarkestOverlordDarkestOverlord Member UncommonPosts: 536
    The game world is great and the gfx is also good..dayli dungeons and crafting..its decent..but when it comes to combat then you get extreme bored..sitting theer and pressing tap to switch between 2 combat skill setups..basicly you have 6 skills..1 is ultimate and another skill bar you will socket with a buff..so its down to 3-4 skill you cast or summon...zzzz  cast 3 skills..switch and cast 3 skills..swicth and cast 3 skills...ooh and yes also try to skip the casting animation..that saves you 0.1 second pr cast and will increase ur dps and win rate...sounds lame ?  i agree.

They need to Reamp the whole combat system
    [Deleted User]

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member RarePosts: 6,221
    eddieg50 said:

Tell me, how is it going in The Witcher and Skyrim, which also have level scaling lol! /shrug
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 12,629
    Zamuro said:
    ... all ur stats are going down instead of up when leveling. thats the exact opposite of progression...
    I suppose it's possible you somehow got a DK to max level and still somehow think that stats go down instead of up lol. But that's just assinnine and only possible if you keep wearing the same level 1 gear throughout.

Personally I have 12 CP 720+ (770 actually) characters some leveled before and some after 1T and every single one had their stats go up as they leveled. IDK what to tell you if yours didn't except that you fucked something up royally somewhere.
    SlyLoKJean-Luc_PicardMrMelGibson
    “Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 26,764
    JeroKane said:
    eddieg50 said:

Tell me, how is it going in The Witcher and Skyrim, which also have level scaling lol! /shrug
    I do remember in both games having my ass handed to me by much higher level opponents so it must not be so extreme. Since Witcher lists the mob levels I know I've run into mobs that were 10 levels higher.

• koboldfodderkoboldfodder Member UncommonPosts: 442
    ESO is another solo mmorpg where you can count on one hand the number of times you group, or the number of times you want to group.  There is a certain way you have to play this game, and it is counter to all the other MMOs out there.  Dont grab every quest.  If you go into this game getting every quest, every questline, every skill line, you will burn out.

This is a game where every single NPC quest exists within 100 yards of that NPC.  You will run into missing brothers, missing sisters, traitors, necromancers, people trying to become a king or queen....whatever story/quest you have done before in other games you will find here.  And it all takes place 100 yards from where you are at.  Go 100 yards in the opposite direction and you will find the same thing.  There are no dungeons in this game that remind you of EQ.  Nothing in this game takes longer than 7 minutes.  This is like going to White Castle for dinner, but the silverware and plates are really nice to look at.

The Combat is line Neverwinter.  If you like Neverwinter, you will like this game.  If you did not like Neverwinter, you will hate this game.  There is no middle ground.

The animations are fine.  There are older games with better animations, there are newer games with worse animations. 

Clothing DOES look painted on, not as bad as SWTOR, but it does look painted on.  And here is the first thing you NEED to do about this game (if you play on PC).  Download one of the reshade presets.  If you are familiar with Skyrim ENBs, it is the same principle.  ESO is a game that for some reason on vanilla looks totally washed out and devoid or any character.  Plop in one of the hundres of reshades and you INSTANTLY take a crappy looking game and turn it into something beautiful..  Instantly.  So much so that you will wonder why they went with the crappy, vanilla washed out look to begin with.  If you do not believe me, youtube a few ESO reshades.  They are not as good as the best Skyrim ones because of the texture quality of Skyrim mods....but they are must haves.

The Map?  Again.  Download an addon.  There are lots of things to choose from.  ESO went with the less is more option that Skyrim had.  If you want map addons, there are plenty to choose from.

Minimap?  Same thing.  Download one.  There are tons of great ones.  I keep my stuff off, feels more like Skyrim.  But if you want a detailed mini map that looks like it was part of the game design, there are options.

The stories are pretty good.  Not Bioware good, but pretty good.  Not as good as the LOTRO epic questline, but still pretty good.  Each zone has a main story line that takes you through the entire zone.  And along the way you get single quests and such.  You can level to max level with one or two zones, so go where you want and do what you want.  You don't need to get every quest, but this game uses the HERO engine which means it makes use of phasing (which is the only good thing that engine can do).  There is some progression to the quests where phasing might make an area non KOS and such.

Voice acting is classic Bethesda voice acting.  If you played the games, you know the voices.  There is the Redguard go, that dark elf guy, that girl who does the Orc voice, the Guy who does the Orc voice.  The Argonian who does the female Ghoul voice for the Fallout series, and the two male Argonian voices.  And the male and female Khajit voices.  You know them by now.  Once upon a time, Bethesda used only a few voice actors.  But since Skyrim, they have used a lot more.  ESO is not up to Bioware standards when it comes to voice acting, but it's pretty darn good.

Game World looks bad?  One word.  Reshade.  UI is bad?  Get an Add On.  The inventory menus are awful, really bad.  An add on instantly fixes that.  And, they are all allowed.

Look, no one wanted ESO.  Go back to the very first time you heard there was an Elder Scrolls Online game and I can promise you that no one you knew was clamoring for an Elder Scrolls Online game.  People scratched their heads when it was announced and for good reason.  TES is all about single player freedom and add ons, while MMOs are about levels, invisible walls, and more what you cannot do than what you can do.  So for that reason, the game gets a well deserved bad rap.

There is nothing in this game from a visual standpoint, game play standpoint, or design standpoint that Skyrim (with about 150 mods) does not do a thousand times better.  This is all well known.  ESO cannot compete with modded Skyrim.  So you have to put that out of your mind.  If you can, the game is pretty good.  But if you are constantly comparing your ESO experience to modded Skyrim (and a lot of people do) you will not like this game.

YashaXpostlarvalMrMelGibson
  • GorweGorwe Member EpicPosts: 6,002
    ESO is another solo mmorpg where you can count on one hand the number of times you group, or the number of times you want to group.  There is a certain way you have to play this game, and it is counter to all the other MMOs out there.  Dont grab every quest.  If you go into this game getting every quest, every questline, every skill line, you will burn out.

This is a game where every single NPC quest exists within 100 yards of that NPC.  You will run into missing brothers, missing sisters, traitors, necromancers, people trying to become a king or queen....whatever story/quest you have done before in other games you will find here.  And it all takes place 100 yards from where you are at.  Go 100 yards in the opposite direction and you will find the same thing.  There are no dungeons in this game that remind you of EQ.  Nothing in this game takes longer than 7 minutes.  This is like going to White Castle for dinner, but the silverware and plates are really nice to look at.

The Combat is line Neverwinter.  If you like Neverwinter, you will like this game.  If you did not like Neverwinter, you will hate this game.  There is no middle ground.

The animations are fine.  There are older games with better animations, there are newer games with worse animations. 

Clothing DOES look painted on, not as bad as SWTOR, but it does look painted on.  And here is the first thing you NEED to do about this game (if you play on PC).  Download one of the reshade presets.  If you are familiar with Skyrim ENBs, it is the same principle.  ESO is a game that for some reason on vanilla looks totally washed out and devoid or any character.  Plop in one of the hundres of reshades and you INSTANTLY take a crappy looking game and turn it into something beautiful..  Instantly.  So much so that you will wonder why they went with the crappy, vanilla washed out look to begin with.  If you do not believe me, youtube a few ESO reshades.  They are not as good as the best Skyrim ones because of the texture quality of Skyrim mods....but they are must haves.

The Map?  Again.  Download an addon.  There are lots of things to choose from.  ESO went with the less is more option that Skyrim had.  If you want map addons, there are plenty to choose from.

Minimap?  Same thing.  Download one.  There are tons of great ones.  I keep my stuff off, feels more like Skyrim.  But if you want a detailed mini map that looks like it was part of the game design, there are options.

The stories are pretty good.  Not Bioware good, but pretty good.  Not as good as the LOTRO epic questline, but still pretty good.  Each zone has a main story line that takes you through the entire zone.  And along the way you get single quests and such.  You can level to max level with one or two zones, so go where you want and do what you want.  You don't need to get every quest, but this game uses the HERO engine which means it makes use of phasing (which is the only good thing that engine can do).  There is some progression to the quests where phasing might make an area non KOS and such.

Voice acting is classic Bethesda voice acting.  If you played the games, you know the voices.  There is the Redguard go, that dark elf guy, that girl who does the Orc voice, the Guy who does the Orc voice.  The Argonian who does the female Ghoul voice for the Fallout series, and the two male Argonian voices.  And the male and female Khajit voices.  You know them by now.  Once upon a time, Bethesda used only a few voice actors.  But since Skyrim, they have used a lot more.  ESO is not up to Bioware standards when it comes to voice acting, but it's pretty darn good.

Game World looks bad?  One word.  Reshade.  UI is bad?  Get an Add On.  The inventory menus are awful, really bad.  An add on instantly fixes that.  And, they are all allowed.

Look, no one wanted ESO.  Go back to the very first time you heard there was an Elder Scrolls Online game and I can promise you that no one you knew was clamoring for an Elder Scrolls Online game.  People scratched their heads when it was announced and for good reason.  TES is all about single player freedom and add ons, while MMOs are about levels, invisible walls, and more what you cannot do than what you can do.  So for that reason, the game gets a well deserved bad rap.

There is nothing in this game from a visual standpoint, game play standpoint, or design standpoint that Skyrim (with about 150 mods) does not do a thousand times better.  This is all well known.  ESO cannot compete with modded Skyrim.  So you have to put that out of your mind.  If you can, the game is pretty good.  But if you are constantly comparing your ESO experience to modded Skyrim (and a lot of people do) you will not like this game.

The point is, you mustn't compare ES:O to ANYTHING or it crumbles. Compare it to SWTOR, WoW, LoTR:O, TERA, DCUO, EQ 2...Vermintide, Skyrim, Morrowind, Diablo...it crumbles vs all of those. Because it needs to be a special snowflake not to be...bland at the very least.
    Iselin said:
    Zamuro said:
    ... all ur stats are going down instead of up when leveling. thats the exact opposite of progression...
    I suppose it's possible you somehow got a DK to max level and still somehow think that stats go down instead of up lol. But that's just assinnine and only possible if you keep wearing the same level 1 gear throughout.

Personally I have 12 CP 720+ (770 actually) characters some leveled before and some after 1T and every single one had their stats go up as they leveled. IDK what to tell you if yours didn't except that you fucked something up royally somewhere.
    You're more patient than me....
    - Guy who pretends having played a game he hates for ages.
    - Guy who has an obvious agenda.
    - Guy who can't spell two consecutive full words.

Couldn't be arsed to read his drivel after the first paragraph.

Gorwe said:
    The point is, you mustn't compare ES:O to ANYTHING or it crumbles. Compare it to SWTOR, WoW, LoTR:O, TERA, DCUO, EQ 2...Vermintide, Skyrim, Morrowind, Diablo...it crumbles vs all of those. Because it needs to be a special snowflake not to be...bland at the very least.
    And that agenda is even more obvious considering his post history ;)

Nothing to see but trolling here. Move along.

• YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 2,403

I group nearly every time I play, and I have never played an mmo by "grabbing every quest". 
    SetzerJean-Luc_Picard
  • JeroKaneJeroKane Member RarePosts: 6,221
    YashaX said:

I group nearly every time I play, and I have never played an mmo by "grabbing every quest". 

Maybe he plays on console, since there it's much more solo oriented due to the lack of chat, since hardly anyone uses Voice chat. I have it turned off as I got tired of people having their mic open and listening to their heavy breathing and family/kids screaming in the background.

On PC, people tend the group a lot more easily. Since chat is much more accessible. 
  • TruplayaUBTruplayaUB Member UncommonPosts: 46
    What you are missing from ESO ?! --> A good game !!! ..... i searched for so long, but there is no good game in it ... the fighting system ... in complete killed the game for me ... In Beta, at Release and 2 hours ago ..... 

Scot
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 11,497
    What you are missing from ESO ?! --> A good game !!! ..... i searched for so long, but there is no good game in it ... the fighting system ... in complete killed the game for me ... In Beta, at Release and 2 hours ago ..... 

It is not just on this thread I have asked before: "Yes ESO has issues, but what other modern AAA MMO are you going to go to if not ESO?" Anyone would think we are gifted with huge range of quality modern AAA to choose from, we are not. ESO is a good AAA MMO, but if you have an alternative by all means speak up.
    YashaX

25 Agrees

You received 25 Agrees. You're posting some good content. Great!

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Now Doesn't That Make You Feel All Warm And Fuzzy Inside? :P

The two games are vastly different in practically every aspect, including combat. In fact, you almost couldn't pick two games further apart and still be in the same genre.
    Jean-Luc_Picard
  • moosecatlolmoosecatlol Member UncommonPosts: 1,469
    Setzer said:
    eddieg50 said:
    I fail to see how level scaling takes away all the challenge. Also, you do realize Witcher 3 and Skyrim both use level scaling?
    Two-way scaling is not one-way scaling.
  • TheAmirTheAmir Member UncommonPosts: 433
    edited April 2018
    It's an OK game, but I can never play it more than a few weeks without just feeling completely "meh". Combat is pretty bland--feels like it has no weight. Also, the aesthetics aren't the best--everything looks like it has a brown filter over it all the time. It gets boring. Animations and models are odd and unappealing. However, I like some of the -features- the game has, like thievery/NPC murder without open PVP bullcrap,  a handful of quests that are semi-interesting (story-wise, at least), and a lot of lore to read and find. Crafting is just OK, but at least you can make something useful for your lowbie character right away, unlike most MMOs. I like how they handled level scaling, too, but not how difficult (due to phasing) and pointless (because the game is so easy until end game) grouping is, and I HATE the guild "auction" system.

TheAmir said:
     Crafting is just OK, but at least you can make something useful for your lowbie character right away, unlike most MMOs. 
    Why is the crafting "just ok"? I have seen a few people say that in this thread, and am genuinely curious about why you have that impression. 
  • GorweGorwe Member EpicPosts: 6,002
    Scot said:

It is not just on this thread I have asked before: "Yes ESO has issues, but what other modern AAA MMO are you going to go to if not ESO?" Anyone would think we are gifted with huge range of quality modern AAA to choose from, we are not. ESO is a good AAA MMO, but if you have an alternative by all means speak up.
    I'd rather play other MMOs / games even if they are not AAA. There is a lot of choice. WoW, EQ 2, Guild Wars 1+2, SWTOR, LoTR:O etc. Even more out of MMO genre. And as I've been saying, ES:O is like Amstel of games. Thoroughly...tasteless for the most time. Almost no character lol.
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 11,497
    Gorwe said:
    Scot said:

I'd rather play other MMOs / games even if they are not AAA. There is a lot of choice. WoW, EQ 2, Guild Wars 1+2, SWTOR, LoTR:O etc. Even more out of MMO genre. And as I've been saying, ES:O is like Amstel of games. Thoroughly...tasteless for the most time. Almost no character lol.

Well you have moved the goal posts, but lets look at that all the same. I am sure we can get to the truth here by comparing MMOs to beers/lagers:

ESO is more like a Budweiser, not the most distinct offering to the palate, but cool, refreshing, not too heavy going and reliable.

WoW is the Bud Light of MMOs, more casual, rather bland, you can get through an awful lot of it and feel you have not had much at all.

EQ2 is the Abashiri, a colourful beer (possibly garish?) but one seen as lacking in many areas of taste due to its former vintage EQ.

Guild Wars 2 is the Skol of the MMO world, low on alcohol, low on just about everything else, it to came from a better vintage, the first Guild Wars, so is all the more regrettable in comparison and leaves a rather bad taste in the mouth.

SWTOR is the Corona of the MMO world, a well known beer with a storied past and coming from the distinctive dark and light casks.

LotRo is the Heineken, now it was rather unfair to name this beer as over the years it has been my favourite MMO and is probably the best MMO in the world.

Well there we have it, beer drinking has led us to truths that have never...hic...come to lite light before. Cheers! :D

laseritSovrathGorweYashaXMrMelGibsonmastropos

25 Agrees

You received 25 Agrees. You're posting some good content. Great!

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Now Doesn't That Make You Feel All Warm And Fuzzy Inside? :P

• TheAmirTheAmir Member UncommonPosts: 433
    YashaX said:
    TheAmir said:
     Crafting is just OK, but at least you can make something useful for your lowbie character right away, unlike most MMOs. 
    Why is the crafting "just ok"? I have seen a few people say that in this thread, and am genuinely curious about why you have that impression. 
    Because I prefer crafting that's a bit more in-depth. Don't get me wrong, it's not BAD compared to most MMOs, but it could have been MUCH more interesting and involved.
    pantaro