Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EA working on new Open World Star Wars MMO

124»

Comments

• BakgrindBakgrind Member UncommonPosts: 423
    Tiller said:
    Again in case anyone missed it
    https://www.gamespot.com/articles/star-wars-open-world-game-is-in-development-at-ea-/1100-6457652/

This sparked concerns about the future of triple-A single-player games. CEO Andrew Wilson denied that the moves were made because it was a single-player game that needed to become a live-service game. "It was more about, 'How do we get to a point where the overall gameplay experience was right for players?'" he said, adding that some of the assets and content Visceral had created might still be used in the new iteration of the game.

Soderlund also denied single-player was to blame; like Wilson, he pointed to the issue of quality, which was seemingly reinforced by a Kotaku report at the time. Subsequently, CFO Blake Jorgensen suggested the linear, single-player nature was at least partially to blame, saying, "As we kept reviewing the game, it continued to look like a much more linear game [which] people don't like as much today as they did five years ago or 10 years ago."

I'v read all of those articles including the Kotaku a̶r̶t̶i̶c̶l̶e̶ dissertation and my personal feeling from reading them is that the risk vs reward is simply to much for them. And that they,  EA are simply just not as successful at making single player rpg's as they are at making multiplayer games that incorporate MTX mechanism.

And that going forward their business model would be changing to reflect that statment by claiming that "the linear, single-player nature was at least partially to blame, saying, "As we kept reviewing the game, it continued to look like a much more linear game [which] people don't like as much today as they did five years ago or 10 years ago."

The language that they are using is stricky from a salesmanship point of view. Whereby they double talk and say that single player isn't an issue ( but  it is for them ) and that they are not trying to change the business model ( which they are ) to be more profitable by excluding the rpg aspect of it and only focusing on multiplayer with built in MTX mechanism because they are not as profitable ( lack the talent to make a successful ) single player rpg.
  • EldurianEldurian Member EpicPosts: 2,736
    edited April 2018
    Could be good, could be bad. I'll save my optimism and pessimism until I hear the features list. That will be the best indicator of if they are trying to pioneer new MMO territory or are giving us another rehashing of WoW.

However one thing that makes me slightly optimistic is the fact SWTOR already so closely mirrors WoW. No point of making a new Star Wars MMO just like WoW when they already have one.