Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

PAX East 2018 - Pre- Alpha Gameplay - Ashes of Creation Videos - MMORPG.com

Comments

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    Sovrath said:

Mikeha said:

My only expectation is for a game to fun.  I am not seeing that here. 

I think that's something one experiences.

Playing Baseball is more fun than watching Baseball. I imagine that can be said for a lot of things, video games included.

Or better said, there are things going on when one plays that might not be apparent by just watching.
    Quite true.  Generally, if it's a game that's hectic enough to be highly watchable, it's going to be very action-oriented.  Dark Souls combat looks terrible when you don't have the controller on hand, and it's still an action-oriented combat system.  Seriously, the rest of the mobs just stand there while you calmly pull your sword out of their buddy's chest?

Strategic combat systems are much less enjoyable to watch than they are to play.  I.e. XCOM.

SovrathKyleran

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    Sovrath said:

Mikeha said:

Playing Baseball is more fun than watching Baseball. I imagine that can be said for a lot of things, video games included.

Or better said, there are things going on when one plays that might not be apparent by just watching.

Not for me.

I have been gaming long enough to know if I will like a game from watching it or even just reading about it. 
    Shaigh
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,500
    Mikeha said:
    I guess Crowfall is my last hope for a Western mmo. 
    Well, you appears to enjoy Eastern MMO’s quite a bit, so not a big issue, right?

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Kyleran said:
    Mikeha said:
    Well, you appears to enjoy Eastern MMO’s quite a bit, so not a big issue, right?

These are video games so it will never be a big issue. 
  • DeserttFoxxDeserttFoxx Member UncommonPosts: 2,402
    I'm going to be as productive as possible here... Game looks great, combat looks awful. If that game was released tomorrow I would not buy it, if it released with combat still looking like thst I would not buy it.

Quotations Those Who make peaceful resolutions impossible, make violent resolutions inevitable. John F. Kennedy

Life... is the shit that happens while you wait for moments that never come - Lester Freeman

Lie to no one. If there 's somebody close to you, you'll ruin it with a lie. If they're a stranger, who the fuck are they you gotta lie to them? - Willy Nelson

• makevalimakevali Member UncommonPosts: 48
    Combat is underwhelming, if the devs don't improve combat by moving on from the 1990's the game will fail and until devs that are in-tune with 2018 to make an MMOPRG we won't see anything good for a while.
    Kyleran
  • maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180
    I think it's still way too early to really judge the pace of combat. I think it'll speed up some, and get a better flow to it.  

They are a ways away from a beta phase, if we see this in beta, I don't doubt that feedback will dictate how it proceeds. 
    [Deleted User]

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    At least they're showing some game play, rough though it may be, at a very early stage unlike other crowdfunded indie MMOs that started a much longer time ago that just talk the talk.

Keeping my eye on this one.

KyleranSovrathConstantineMerusMadFrenchie
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163
    Mikeha said:
      Meh is all I can say about Crowfall. I know some people say it's not all about graphics when it comes to MMOs, but for me it's just harder to take serious and get immersed in an MMO game that looks like Wizards 101.

Battle Royale? sure bring on the silliness, MMOS are just a different type of game for me. It can have the deepest crafting system ever, and if looks like Dora the Explorer Online I won't touch it. Have fun though.
    Cyber_wastelandMikeha
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• itsoveritsover Member UncommonPosts: 353
    Garbage
    Tiller

• DancwithDancwith Member UncommonPosts: 28
    So, i didn't see anything new. what was the point in showing a demo video of stuff that has been done.
  • DvoraDvora Member UncommonPosts: 499

Asch126 said:

The main criticism has always been the combat, from the start, and yet it seems like they're not listening when it comes to that because it's still the same combat many have disliked since the very first video showing it.

You for sure have not played they game so thats one strike, second, you probably like the typical flashy korean trash combat like BDO where you can't see a damn thing past all the massive explosions and bright lights That shit is barely tolerable solo, and a complete seizure inducing mess in a group.

There is nothing wrong with tab target, I'll take that and more than 6 buttons on my hotbar anyday over the console port crap thats been coming out lately.
    Cyber_wasteland
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163
    Dvora said:

Asch126 said:

The main criticism has always been the combat, from the start, and yet it seems like they're not listening when it comes to that because it's still the same combat many have disliked since the very first video showing it.

You for sure have not played they game so thats one strike, second, you probably like the typical flashy korean trash combat like BDO where you can't see a damn thing past all the massive explosions and bright lights That shit is barely tolerable solo, and a complete seizure inducing mess in a group.

There is nothing wrong with tab target, I'll take that and more than 6 buttons on my hotbar anyday over the console port crap thats been coming out lately.
    Well I will say not a huge fan of BDO combat, to an extent that I feel it's messy at times and all those combos you never end up using feel pointless and do a lot of the same things with a different flourish. I guess it's really no different than having a skill bar with 50 skills when you only use 5 of those at anytime in older MMOs, only difference is you gotta remember key combos in BDO.

It seems that lots of people like that stuff apparently, and BDO is doing well on Steam so consider me impressed. I think the game appeals to people who mostly play console games and prefer it over tab targeting and ping pong combat systems as they call it.  It really boils down to preference at this point. I myself like hybrid tab target games these days, as long as you can swap out skills.
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• timeraidertimeraider Member UncommonPosts: 865

Asch126 said:

Cant say i agree. Ive seen massive differences between pax east -> family alpha -> pax west.. wether its enough to make it decent at release is a different story tho, i agree

Rhoklaw said:

Ugh, fast travel. This is what killed WoW for me and this game isn't even launched, lol. The whole theory of, let's not make players travel back home because they've already seen the environment on the way here is just anti immersive. My argument would be, if you could teleport home from the quest item than why not just teleport to the quest item from home? :::rolls eyes:::

Quite sure thats just for the demo.. unless im wrong the entire idea is that you have to walk home aka, have a chance to get fucked by highway men. Not sure tho.. there has at least been quite a bit of backlash on that teleporting so not sure wether even if they wanted to put it in.. not sure if they will after the reactions :P

Mikeha said:

Tried it, cant recommend it.
    Ashes of Creation Referral link - Help me to help you!
    https://ashesofcreation.com/r/Y4U3PQCASUPJ5SED
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    Looks pretty good to me for pre-alpha.

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    Tiller said:
    Dvora said:

Asch126 said:

Well I will say not a huge fan of BDO combat, to an extent that I feel it's messy at times and all those combos you never end up using feel pointless and do a lot of the same things with a different flourish. I guess it's really no different than having a skill bar with 50 skills when you only use 5 of those at anytime in older MMOs, only difference is you gotta remember key combos in BDO.

It seems that lots of people like that stuff apparently, and BDO is doing well on Steam so consider me impressed. I think the game appeals to people who mostly play console games and prefer it over tab targeting and ping pong combat systems as they call it.  It really boils down to preference at this point. I myself like hybrid tab target games these days, as long as you can swap out skills.
    Never got the sentiment that old school MMORPGs only used 4-5 abilities.  My DAoC Paladain had over 5 chants alone that could be interchanged and twisted, and that's completely separate from his sword and shield styles.

No, the other abilities were merely situational.  Nothing wrong with that until devs Nerf the situation into the ground until it no longer really exists (CC, anyone?), which then leaves players going "wtf am I supposed to do with AoE mezz now that everyone is spamming AoE damage?"
    Kyleran

Mikeha said:

Tried it, cant recommend it.

Not looking for a recommend and if you say you cant recommend something saying why would make it a lot more credible. 

I will try it for my self when it comes out. 
    Kyleran
  • GregorMcgregorGregorMcgregor Member UncommonPosts: 263
    It looks good... If we're still in 2010!?!?
    ltank

No trials. No tricks. No traps. No EU-RP server. NO THANKS!

...10% Benevolence, 90% Arrogance in my case!
  • GaladournGaladourn Member RarePosts: 1,813
    looks darn good for pre-alpha. Hell, looks darn good as it is right now compared to some other games...
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751

Pre alpha...How far this genre has fallen...Whats next? Double pre alpha?

I see your Double Pre Alpha, and raise you a Quintuple Pre Alpha, with a fully functioning cash shop and $200 Founder's Packs!
    I'm thinking of a game...maybe a MMO...Wait a minute I can charge for this!
    Kyleran
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,003
    edited April 2018
    Mikeha said:
    Sovrath said:

Mikeha said:

Not for me.

I have been gaming long enough to know if I will like a game from watching it or even just reading about it. 
    I suspect you can tell whether you like the features of a game. But that's not a guarantee you are going to love it when you finally delve deep.

However, I'll buy it. You are essentially saying you like/loved every game you played. so there's not a game in the game list you played and ended up disliking?

Though maybe that's what you are saying, if you know the features it's sort of a done deal until you try it"?
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • JemAs666JemAs666 Member UncommonPosts: 252
    Mikeha said:
    You don't like these character models, but Crowfall's are awesome in your eyes?
    [Deleted User]
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,500
    Mikeha said:
    Kyleran said:
    Mikeha said:

I'm not the one who said "last hope."

;)

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Kyleran said:
    Mikeha said:
    Kyleran said:
    Mikeha said:

I'm not the one who said "last hope."

;)

I said last hope for a western mmo. Not last hope to pay my Rent or Electric bill. 

edited April 2018
    JemAs666 said:
    Mikeha said:
    You don't like these character models, but Crowfall's are awesome in your eyes?

I never said anything about Crowfalls character models so where did you get "awesome"? Don't make stuff up.

Crowfalls character models are 100 times better than this.