Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Legends of Aria - PAX East 2018 - Hands On with Citadel's Sandbox - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited April 2018 in News & Features Discussion

imageLegends of Aria - PAX East 2018 - Hands On with Citadel's Sandbox - MMORPG.com

Over the last year Citadel Studios has been hard at work updating Legends of Aria and getting everything ready to bring even more players in. They have had the main systems for how the game operates in place for a while, but what was really needed was a lot of polishing. So I was pretty keen to check in with them at PAX East and see everything they have been working on since last year.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,030
    edited April 2018
    DoA

Edit: It has a chance to survive if the modders continue to do a great job, but the official shards are garbage.

There's less systems/content in this game than in ultima when it first launched in the 80's.
    Post edited by Kajidourden on
  • YaevinduskYaevindusk Member RarePosts: 2,094
    Looking forward to playing it; bought the beta as soon as it came out, but haven't downloaded or played it yet.
    Tokken
    Due to frequent travel in my youth, English isn't something I consider my primary language (and thus I obtained quirky ways of writing).  German and French were always easier for me despite my family being U.S. citizens for over a century.  Spanish I learned as a requirement in school, Japanese and Korean I acquired for my youthful desire of anime and gaming (and also work now).  I only debate in English to help me work with it (and limit things).  In addition, I'm not smart enough to remain fluent in everything and typically need exposure to get in the groove of things again if I haven't heard it in a while.  If you understand Mandarin, I know a little, but it has actually been a challenge and could use some help.

Also, I thoroughly enjoy debates and have accounts on over a dozen sites for this.  If you wish to engage in such, please put effort in a post and provide sources -- I will then do the same with what I already wrote (if I didn't) as well as with my responses to your own.  Expanding my information on a subject makes my stance either change or strengthen the next time I speak of it or write a thesis.  Allow me to thank you sincerely for your time.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    No wipe after June or July, consider it launched at that point, regardless what other moniker they try to assign it.
    Slapshot1188

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• AnOldFartAnOldFart Member RarePosts: 562
    this actually looks really interesting...
  • ValkyrieValkyrie Member UncommonPosts: 192
    This is a pretty thin review. What is in feature wise? Is it fun? How many people were online? What griefing potential is there?

Played: Pretty much any fantasy MMO, some did not even make it to release ...
    Favorites: UO, EQ2, Vanguard, Wurm Online, Salem, ESO, Creativerse
    Playing: ESO, Creativerse, Guild Wars 2
    Anticipating: (sigh) ... maybe Ashes of Creation

• RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,991
    This game has a long way to go.
    Scorchien

Joined - July 2004

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
        Agreed , a very very long way to go , the Bones are good , a really nice foundation to build on ..

But the world is void of life , danger , fauna .. Spice .. seems such  a Tabula Rasa ..

But i hold out hope these devs can continue to push it in the right direction ..
  • slurpee222slurpee222 Member UncommonPosts: 25
    The mod server, Legends of Ultima, is pretty good. Id recommend checking it out if you dont like the official servers.
  • MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
    Valkyrie said:
    This is a pretty thin review. What is in feature wise? Is it fun? How many people were online? What griefing potential is there?

I've played on and off for a year or so.  There really aren't any features in-game worth mentioning at this point.  It's not fun, because there's nothing much to do, and hardly anyone to do it with.  If it doesn't hit big on Steam, my guess is that it's going to die quickly after the Steam launch.
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,983
    Friends and I really enjoyed it.   As others have said, it needs more content but I really think that will come from the player shards.

Tokken

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• BruceYeeBruceYee Member EpicPosts: 2,556
    edited April 2018
    This game does not offer anything that other games don't already provide and those games do it better. The "general gameplay feeling smoother" is the only positive improvement to the game in the past year+? On top of that this game will be BTP? Yeeah, this game is DOA like someone else said and if not now then 100% when it hits Steam.
    Post edited by BruceYee on
  • TokkenTokken Member EpicPosts: 3,549
    It's a work in progress. Needs more content, but I am enjoying watching it grow. I have played on and off since I bought a founders pack. It has potential. I even went back to UO to prepare for this game lol.

Proud MMORPG.com member since March 2004!  Make PvE GREAT Again!

• SlyLoKSlyLoK Member RarePosts: 2,698
    I'll try it out if I can find a pve or pvp optional server. Im at a point where what other gaming time I have I would like to do what I want and enjoy it.
  • Dave75Dave75 Member CommonPosts: 2
    Probably the worst beta I've ever played. Still more like an alpha game than anything else.
    1. Game performance. Even with a pretty heavy rig (i7 8770K, 1070), my GPU is burning like I'm mining coins ... for a game with graphics feeling like it's 2000 and creepy random lags. Or is that they are having us download a debug version of the exe?
    2. Reds players (PKers, griefers, however you want to call them) camping, chasing and killing people when least expected (e.g. while trying to kill monsters, skill upgrade, in dungeons, etc) making it difficult to improve your own skills since higher levels areas (incl. outposts) become pretty much no-go zones (and no or little in-game system to protect friendly players)
    3. Major changes during beta. Not even mentioning the unbalanced characters (which Red players are taking advantage of), the whole crafting system was modified recently and not even complete (felling more like a rush release for PAX). The game has been in dev for years, and doesn't seem to improve much where it matters.
    4. Pretty much no story lines and plots. A few have just been introduced recently. (this explains why Reds are popping up ... what do you do once you've done full circle on what the game can offer?)
    I'm not sure how they are able to maintain funding from investors.
    Plus, not sure keeping a beta running that long for players to play is the best strategy, with a full reset planned at release ... this will turn down many of us having spent money and time to get this game up to speed and better and get some chars to a playable level, esp. if things don't get much better by then.
    Anyhow ... it's a shame .. I really expected much of it, esp. the creation tool which I was missing since NWN (and still haven't been able to try since it's not released in beta yet).