Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Most MMO players have played numerous mmos before, yet they still have noob beginner questing?

13»

Comments

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Amathe said:
    I don't mind a tutorial if it is short and sweet. 

I don't like tutorials that rush you. Hurry! Hurry! The Castle is on fire!!!  I don't want to hurry when I just appeared in the world. 

I also don't like when you get weapons and armor from doing the tutorial, because that means you basically have to do it or walk around naked for a while. 

My preference is how original EQ did it. There was a note in my bag that said for me to look for someone. That was it lol. Awesome tutorial. 

I don't mind tutorials as well.
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    Amathe said:

I don't like tutorials that rush you. Hurry! Hurry! The Castle is on fire!!!  I don't want to hurry when I just appeared in the world. 

I also don't like when you get weapons and armor from doing the tutorial, because that means you basically have to do it or walk around naked for a while. 

My preference is how original EQ did it. There was a note in my bag that said for me to look for someone. That was it lol. Awesome tutorial. 

Well you know why you have to hurry don't you? Yet another misplaced copying of gameplay from solo games, this time the opening of most shooters. There is an emergency, you are in the middle of it, act now!

Possibly the biggest factor in the negative changes that have occurred to MMOs over the years is developers taking what works well in solo games and doing a copy and paste into MMOs.
    Amathe
  • delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    Scot said:
    Amathe said:

Well you know why you have to hurry don't you? Yet another misplaced copying of gameplay from solo games, this time the opening of most shooters. There is an emergency, you are in the middle of it, act now!

Possibly the biggest factor in the negative changes that have occurred to MMOs over the years is developers taking what works well in solo games and doing a copy and paste into MMOs.

Very profound !! 

See, even I know some big words.  I have about eight more big ones, but I'll not use them all up in one post :)
    Scot
  • SpiraldeathSpiraldeath Member UncommonPosts: 29
    You are on to something but I must admit I hate MMO's that throw you in too deep needs to be a happy medium or the option to skip perhaps.
  • Flyte27Flyte27 Member RarePosts: 4,574
    DMKano said:
    Flyte27 said:

Why are the mages on the 2nd floor and the rogues on the 1st floor?  I don't really care heh.  I am just making an observation.

The entire comic is heavily inspired by original Everquest - mage trainers were often on high floors - and rogues were underground - like in Freeport.

But anyone who has played EQ1 will easily relate to thenoobcomic
    I played EQ a lot, but didn't make that connection.  What you say makes sense though.  I'm starting to see the connections.
  • Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
    I wouldn't mind the option to skip the tutorials, but they do have to be there for people who potentially have never played an MMO in their life. But there are a few games that let you skip the tutorials, I think GW2 does, and I know ESO does. 
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    edited April 2018
    DMKano said:
    Scot said:
    Amathe said:

There's a huge % of players who solo in MMOs - even people that group normally solo for a significant % of the time when guild members are not or when they are under a time or other constraints that wouldn't allow grouping.

So while this might be a "negative change" for group oriented players - it is a positive change for majority of players who solo most of the time and group occasionally (which is what the majority of the playerbase is)

It is also a positive change for the developers bottom line in terms of profitability, as forced group content has a lot less mass appeal.

So again this is another one of those things where majority playerbase preference in MMOs is a driving factor.

But they sort out that playerbase. We did not have hordes of earliest MMO players saying "why can't we have less roleplaying tools", "why can't we solo more"? MMO developers were and still are looking for the bigger playerbase. New MMOs were designed to appeal to a playerbase that was in its infancy in existing MMOs, but they knew there was a huge untapped playerbase out there. All they had to do is make MMOs more like the games those players wanted to play.

Once you have more solo players coming in the effect you mention comes into play, the gameplay suits them.

First they looked outside role-players to those interested in the idea of multiplayer online.
    Then they looked to the solo RPG gamers.
    Then console gamers.
    Now and certainly not finally to smartphone "gamers".

Each time MMOs were not full of players who wanted a change.

When it came to console MMOs there were console players asking why there were not more MMOs on consoles I believe. But I don't think they needed to ask, they were on their way. But there we get a feedback effect, PC MMOs must be suitable for console conversion, which is never going to fly the highest standards PC's can live up to.

For your version of events to be correct at the dawn of MMOs becoming a genre, most players wanted to solo in casual, F2P, tiny, easymode MMOs where graphics was the top priority and roleplaying was a has been.

In my version of events, MMO developers were looking to increase their playerbase and were not concerned if some of the old guard left, because the potential new players dwarfed them in numbers.

I leave our posters to ponder on which is closer to the truth. But of course that's only part of it, there were other important reasons as well.
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    Worse than noob beginner questing are tutorials.....There was a game called The Chronicles of Spellborn that had just a horrible tutorial...By the time you were thru with it you didnt want to play the game much anymore and you HAD to do it with every character made.....Needless to say the game went under within the first 2 years.
  • ElsaboltsElsabolts Member RarePosts: 3,476
    I hate trying an MMO and they nearly all start out the same. WSAD for this, heres your map etc etc. Go kill 20 bees etc learn the ropes. I would really like an option that asks: Are you experienced playing MMOs? if yes you jump straight into much higher level fun content. When looking for a new MMO home it would save so much time lol.
    Do any decent MMOs that I've missed have this option? Thanks

I guess I would say what is the difference between a noob question or noob post ?
    " Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Those Who  Would Threaten It "
                                            MAGA