Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Verm or monthly subscription(the poll)

SamuraiswordSamuraisword Member Posts: 2,111
Listen up RedBedlam

Comments

• magicalstevemagicalsteve Member Posts: 116

Samuraisword, your ideals are virtuous, however it's not so simple anymore.

Firstly, having a subscription model will not remove the 'more money = more power' aspect of Roma Victor. To say otherwise, you would have to ignore the huge 'black-market' trading of ingame currency for real world currency. You cannot dispute this.

Secondly, the realistic nature of Roma Victor makes it so that large investments of real money may indeed result in significant advantages in the commercial sector, but not in the area of personl avatar strength, which is what most people are concerned about.

VERM makes the game more widely accessible, and combats gold farming. VERM is the future.

• bsaerensbsaerens Member Posts: 31

I think Verm is a nice and flexible solution to the monthly pay routine of most mmorpg's.

Don't think that you get that much more out of a game if you spend more on it. You are not 'better' then others just if you got the ingame money. This game is all about collaborating in some way or another. If you buy more money then others, you will inevitably put more money into the community than others. Thereby helping the community as a whole.

• Ferox(SM)Ferox(SM) Member Posts: 169
    RV has proven to me that a system like verm can work. I chose verm. In this game no matter how you made it rich, your going to have advantages. And unless we have some bill gates running around no one is gonna become instantly super rich ingame, not only from just the sheer amount of real life money you'd have to spend, but also from the fact that there will most likely be limits to how much you can buy, since everything is connected and controlled like a real economy.

Think you have what it takes to take the 'Oath of the legion' and become a true soldier of Rome?
    Service guarantees citizenship!

• KanothKanoth RedBedlam Comm. Mgr.Member Posts: 295

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the two options seem to be worded in favor of one option.  Kind of biased dont you think? 

Anyway, saying the verm allows you to buy in game advantages is a bit of a stretch.  Theres nothing that you can purchase through the verm that you cannot purchase by getting in game money the same way you do in other mmorpgs.  No uber swords to purchase...no massive spell of Armageddon...just normal everyday swords, armor, furnature, etc.

Oh, and we always listen.

"Rome wasn't coded in a day"
    - Kanoth

• VyavaVyava Member Posts: 893

It is an experiment that needs to be attempted. Almost all games that allow legal purcahse of ingame currency also let you buy items that are more powerful than anything you get get in the game without buying currency.

EQ2 doesn't, but it has other weird rules that do give players a serious advantage. Even Second Life lets you buy land from someone who rents it to another player allowing you to tear down whatever was there.

I am a little hesitent, but if  I can't play a game I paid a monthly fee for because I am traveling or such  I'd rather spoend $5 to buy some vermy and relax online than pay $15 and not get to use what I paid for. If I don't use all the money I bought it is there until I spend it even months later in theory. The time I paid for and didn't use is completely gone and I can never get my value out of it.

• SlickinfinitSlickinfinit Member UncommonPosts: 1,094
    Its the smartest idea I have heard for combating "ebay farmers" and it will mean that people who dont have alot of money can still enjoy the game without worrying about if they can afford the next subscription period. I am gonna assume that most if not every single Redbedlam dev plays mmo's because alot of the things this small indie company is saying thier game will have is exactly what most of us serious mmo players have been asking for. I am very much looking forward to July when I can play this game and see for myself what a true "sandboxed" mmo can do when the devs are doing their jobs propperly.

{(RIP)} SWG

• SamuraiswordSamuraisword Member Posts: 2,111

Originally posted by Kanoth

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the two options seem to be worded in favor of one option.  Kind of biased dont you think? 
    Anyway, saying the verm allows you to buy in game advantages is a bit of a stretch.  Theres nothing that you can purchase through the verm that you cannot purchase by getting in game money the same way you do in other mmorpgs.  No uber swords to purchase...no massive spell of Armageddon...just normal everyday swords, armor, furnature, etc.

The point isn't that the Verm allows you to buy things that you can't earn in-game, rather that it allows you to buy advantages by not earning coin in-game. Obviously you can use coin to gain a time advantage in pursuing tradeskills, hiring and training troops, purchasing land and dwellings etc.

Time is a huge factor in a PvP setting when advanced power can mean domination and advanced tradeskills means more profit and market share.

I am still waiting for concrete confirmation on any limit to purchasing in-game coin. Perhaps Kanoth would like to take this opportunity to state what that precise limit will be. Personally I doubt there will be one as that would limit profit. The day a player tries to buy in-game coin and is told they cannot because they have reached their limit, will never happen.

Verm doesn't combat gold farming, it just makes the developer the master gold farmer, especially when they will tweak the ease or difficulty of earning in-game coin in order to promote purchasing gold from them, because obviously the game will fail if not enough players do.

• bobvilabobvila Member Posts: 39

Originally posted by Samuraisword

Originally posted by Kanoth

The point isn't that the Verm allows you to buy things that you can't earn in-game, rather that it allows you to buy advantages by not earning coin in-game. Obviously you can use coin to gain a time advantage in pursuing tradeskills, hiring and training troops, purchasing land and dwellings etc.

Time is a huge factor in a PvP setting when advanced power can mean domination and advanced tradeskills means more profit and market share.

I am still waiting for concrete confirmation on any limit to purchasing in-game coin. Perhaps Kanoth would like to take this opportunity to state what that precise limit will be. Personally I doubt there will be one as that would limit profit. The day a player tries to buy in-game coin and is told they cannot because they have reached their limit, will never happen.

Verm doesn't combat gold farming, it just makes the developer the master gold farmer, especially when they will tweak the ease or difficulty of earning in-game coin in order to promote purchasing gold from them, because obviously the game will fail if not enough players do.

On your first point, time is a factor just like money.  Why does the person who has good work hours, or maybe no work hours get to have all the advantages?  If you want to invest mass amounts of time to get rich in the game you can, but oh no it is taboo to invest money into the game to reach a similiar in-game money advantage.  I don't see much of a problem other than people getting jealous that others didn't have to earn money the same way they did.  More time in-game usually means a lot more than just more in-game money anyways.

Your second point is a decent one though.  There is no way to tell what the devs will do with VERM.  You have to take their word for it.  If you don't like it don't pay the monthly fee, and if it gets out of hand quit.  I can see a problem if they make VERM into a money making system rather than a system to be used to help balance the in-game economy.  So far the devs have said they want to keep the economy healthy, and make it into something more realistic and something we haven't seen in a MMORPG.  If they keep to this promise we will have to see.

• MicaelisMicaelis Member Posts: 33

Keep in mind that the verm system has been officially mentioned that its in use in the beta and I haven't seen  a beta tester complain about it yet. What we definitley do know is that being the richest player never means being the most powerful player in a game like Roma Victor. Money is controlled by the players.

By the way, please keep in mind that this game will allow players to get by life ingame without having to submit any money to the VERM.....so the verm system really can't be taken advantage of by the developers. The developers are aware of this worry from a small part of the community, and I believe they know what will happen if they do take advantage of the VERM.....but to take advantage of the VERM lots and lots of settings of costs and such for crafting items have to be too high to simply get by by using what you have ingame....otherwise they can't take advantage of the VERM....and I believe RedBedlam won't take that step.

Please Samuraisword....give up....the VERM is not going to make players more powerful in RV as Kanoth said. It just makes life easier for those players who don't have the time other players do. A game should never give advantages to those players who can afford to spend lots of time playing....but it still doesn't give advantages to those who are the richest.

Imagine you are the richest player there is....how are you going to build all those houses and land that you were speaking of.....its impossible for it to be done alone! Let alone, buildings can be destroyed. Keep in mind, that when the rich spend their money....it still exists.....and goes to the players who spend more time ingame then paying large sums of money to the VERM.

The verm system inevitably balances itself out, and your last accusation about the developers being the gold farmers is rediculous. They have slaved away at this game not for profit, but mainly for its existance, and for innovation! They have created a game which is unique like no other. And the VERM system blends perfectly with this game....thats why people support it. By the way, change your pole.....its rediculous.....you can't get many advantages from ingame money! It takes hard work to make an item......you think its so easy to get everything you want with money alone? Not in the roma victor world my friends.

I don't know what to put here yet.

• daeandordaeandor Member UncommonPosts: 2,695

Although I have limited knowledge of RV, I am hoping that buying verm from RedBedlam will be a viable means to eliminate farming in a game.  My only problem is that with a niche game, farming is not a huge problem to begin with.  Games with large subscription bases that require expensive equipment, spells, tools, etc to compete foster their own farming problems.  I just don't see RV having those same standards.  As excited about this game as I am, I will be watching it post release very closely before I drop my cash for coin.

• MicaelisMicaelis Member Posts: 33

LoL i forgot to mention...there is a lot of farming in RV! Lots and lots and lots of farming!!!! But remember in a player based economy loot farming is impossible....cause you can't get money for junk and PvE in Roma Victor is really not PvE but a part of the PvP experience. Lets say big battles between the gauls and romans.....PvP and players use their NPC armies....which starts to include the feeling of a little PvE aswell....its quite an interesting mix.

Anyway back to the farming...there is so much farming...that probably you will see it everywhere. You will encounter wheet farming, flax farming, all those kinds....also other kinds of ways to produce food or a material farming will be included aswell....as Bee Hive farming or whatever. Yes you will be farming....its fun too! There are many procedures, and then when the crop is fully grown you may harvest it and use it as materials. Field farming and such is available in Roma Victor.

Lol, thats the only farming that you will encounter in Roma Victor! Loot farming will not be possible. Players buy your items, and the economy and its prices will constantly change. The VERM isn't there to get rid of  farming....its there to establish a new way to charge the players...instead of a steady required Pay to play monthly subscription. The VERM is something revolutionary, and blends perfectly with the Roma Victor world. Its already officially mentioned that the beta testers are using it, and I haven't heard complaints...you come to your own conclusion.

Edit: ooops I made a mistake! there is loot farming in RV....well not exactly loot farming.....what you can call it specifically is Hunting. Its part of the crafting system and you require good lvled skills to get anything worthwhile out of it. Yes you hunt animals (PvE style) skin their furrs and sell them....price depending on the quality which depends on your skill lvl for skinning lets say. Thats the closest you can be to loot farming...and it can't even technically be called farming cause its part of the crafting system.

I don't know what to put here yet.