Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Blizzard trying to expand gcds

AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
I'm honestly surprised this didn't get more attention when it was talked about on the official forums last month. Anyway here's the blue post: https://us.battle.net/forums/en/wow/topic/20762126139#6

or video where it talks about it:

Pretty much Blizzard is "thinking" about adding gcds to trinkets and certain major cds that are currently ogcd to "set the overall pacing" in both pve and pvp (they claim mainly pvp). FFXIV's 2.5 gcd on skills as well is limited ogcd in many cases was/is a big turn off for many people, so maybe people that currently play can give thoughts on if WoW's combat starts to morph into FFXIV's to an extent. Keep in mind haste does noticeably lower WoW's gcd whereas its less noticeable in FFXIV (called skill/spell speed in FFXIV).

Comments

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    Obviously catering to people who complain about ESO.
    Gdemami
  • XiaokiXiaoki Member EpicPosts: 3,854
    Their reasoning of too many things being off the GCD is sound. But, I think they should focus on attacks and not major cooldowns.

Say you have an AoE damage heavy phase your a raid boss and healing cooldowns must be employed to survive it, the healers have the option of stopping healing a couple seconds which could lead to people not being fully healed leading into the AoE phase which could mean they die when it hits or waiting a GCD after the AoE phase hits then pressing their heal cooldown which would mean people could die.

1 to 2 seconds may not sound like a lot of time but during fights like Coven or Aggramar those seconds could mean the difference between a wipe and a kill.
  • NephethNepheth Member RarePosts: 473
    This won't change anything for a lot of classes. There are offensive cooldowns for every class. Some of them got like 1-2 so it doesn't matter if they are included in gcd. But some classes have a lot more offensive cooldowns and their burst damage depends on them. Right now in the live servers players who play those classes put all those offensive cooldowns in one macro and use one button to burst everything. And it is a very serious problem, especially in pvp. And it makes it very easy to burst anything in pve. This is a very good change. They were already included in gcd back then. But expansion after expansion Blizzard took them out. 

In pvp this causes very serious balance problems. For example, if you are playing a healer in the arena, you have to use your defensive cooldowns all the time because one burst can easily finish you off. Resto druids always walking around in their bear form because it is hard to escape those big numbers. And if you look at this from the pve side it makes a lot of things much more easier. There is no planning or management for bursting stages. You just wait for the time and push one button and blow your damage to the target that's all. Now you have to think and manage your cooldowns in the best possible way to get those big numbers.

Some people of course will cry about this. They are used to the old system and they don't wanna let go their one button burst system. But in the end, this is actually a very good change that has to be done.

The combat system in WoW will never be like FF14. WoW already has a shorter gcd time than FF14 and on top of that haste shortens that time a lot more. And even with that gcd WoW's combat system is much more fluid than FF14. 
    [Deleted User]
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    edited April 2018
    1  Ican't stand GCD's,seeing the entire board of icons with a circulating ani is annoying.
    2 I quit FXIV because it was copying Wow and now Wow copying FFXIV,idk about that but neither game is offering what i want from a mmorpg.
    3 I have 2 thoughts on why they would  want to slow it down and neither matte to me nor are they good reasons but i feel they are the reasons.

reason 1  Slow down end game ,likely thinking the bigger picture,easier to release less content in xpacs with slower combat.
    reason 2,has more to do with pvp and likely the main reason and would reaffirm why i always say having pvp in a mmorpg just ruins the entire game is always catered to the pvp side.

I have played Wow just quit again in this last week so i know the combat and the game.I can say this,the combat is boring,the reason,lack of enough quality abilities for classes.Now i am all for slower combat IF the combat is done well,Wow is not,i feel slowing it down in Wow will only make it even more boring.

The part that really baffles me is that slowing down what is already a lack of quality abilities is just asinine,if you want to change things up,then look at FFXIV or better FFXI and you might learn how to make classes and combat better.

Perfect example,playing Hunter you might have what,a rotation of 3 icons to press by level 50 and your Pet is basically on auto and VERY limited.

In FFXI you have an enormous amount of usable abilities for your Hunter/Ranger AND your pet is 100x more FUN.So Blizzard should quit feeling so high n mighty and improve their sub par game instead of worrying about GCD's lol.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.