Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What the hell am I missing here with ESO?

Comments

• TokkenTokken Member EpicPosts: 3,549
    wish they would revamp combat. 
    HarikenTillerMrMelGibsonSovrathDarbiiRue

Proud MMORPG.com member since March 2004!  Make PvE GREAT Again!

• HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680
    ESO is good as far as open world/themeparkish MMOs go.

The problem is for me. I play an hour. And then go straight back to my modded Skyrim lol. 

Every time I play ESO, it only makes me want to play modded Skyrim. So ESO is a great game for me to get motivated for Skyrim :P
    This is really true for me too. One of my big complaints other than the combat Is the lack of an AH. This really burns me. And its to late to add one as the setup now really caters to those rich/large guilds with the best spots for stores. The prices for items is getting way out of control too. Why he Devs thought this was a good idea is beyond me.
    Phry
  • BananaSoupBananaSoup Member UncommonPosts: 180
    Wow, I can't believe I'm the only one in this thread so far that likes this game.  To each their own I guess.  I come from WoW, so the graphics seem SO much better.  I've not played a lot, and it's not my main MMO, but I like running around, exploring, and doing the quests.  It's serving as my non-social game.  I kinda like doing things on my own in ESO.
    So basically its your single player game
    Phry
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163
    Wow, I can't believe I'm the only one in this thread so far that likes this game.  To each their own I guess.  I come from WoW, so the graphics seem SO much better.  I've not played a lot, and it's not my main MMO, but I like running around, exploring, and doing the quests.  It's serving as my non-social game.  I kinda like doing things on my own in ESO.
    So basically its your single player game
    It kind of is mostly. I wish they had more world events like gw2, at least it would give more options to end game players.

Tokken said:
    wish they would revamp combat. 
    Yeah I got spoiled with GW2 hybrid combat system which is easy to to pick up and play, like riding a bike. If they made a hybrid tab target system, mixed with the current ability system, it might be ok.

SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• HyperpsycrowHyperpsycrow Member RarePosts: 914
    I dont dislike the ESO world or the game genre but its boring combat and lately there is something up in the air about the animation canceling so you can cast 0.5 - 1.0 sec faster for each skill by moving and casting on same time..its sort of lame or a spoil. So they should fix that combat animation. And yes stuff clocks up ur bag in less than 5 mins..unless ur VIP and has that trashloot bag.

Also i got bored of grinding my way up to paragon lvl 500 or what ever the limit is.I think im paragon 300 atm or what they call it haha

Everytime a game extend the lvl to something ridicules than the orginal 50-100 lvl then i refer to diablo 3 with the paragon lvl..becaus ethat is what it is ! a rip off to keep you going. And its cheap if you ask me.

And 6 skills is not funny..its like in guildwars 2 where they have 5-6 skills pr weapon change.
    Boooring... I remembered in wow vanilla when we had the whole screen full of skill bars and icons..it was epic..now they made you have like 5-10 skills only, so the kidz of today dont get stressed out or need to think for them self anymore..its horrible. But its what games has come to today...sadly :/

• AlomarAlomar Member RarePosts: 1,299
    The game's very much directed for/aimed at casual pve'ers and rp'ers all of whom are die-hard ES fans. I half believe the reason we haven't seen ES 6 yet is to keep them in this game rather than replaying and modding a new one for years.
    Haxus Council Member
    21  year MMO veteran 
    PvP Raid Leader 
    Lover of The Witcher & CD Projekt Red
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    I dont dislike the ESO world or the game genre but its boring combat and lately there is something up in the air about the animation canceling so you can cast 0.5 - 1.0 sec faster for each skill by moving and casting on same time..its sort of lame or a spoil. So they should fix that combat animation. And yes stuff clocks up ur bag in less than 5 mins..unless ur VIP and has that trashloot bag.

Also i got bored of grinding my way up to paragon lvl 500 or what ever the limit is.I think im paragon 300 atm or what they call it haha

Everytime a game extend the lvl to something ridicules than the orginal 50-100 lvl then i refer to diablo 3 with the paragon lvl..becaus ethat is what it is ! a rip off to keep you going. And its cheap if you ask me.

And 6 skills is not funny..its like in guildwars 2 where they have 5-6 skills pr weapon change.
    Boooring... I remembered in wow vanilla when we had the whole screen full of skill bars and icons..it was epic..now they made you have like 5-10 skills only, so the kidz of today dont get stressed out or need to think for them self anymore..its horrible. But its what games has come to today...sadly :/

When the game had a mandatory subscription there was no trashloot bag. People had to grind for goal - to expand their storage - and create a set of alts to use as mules. I though it was a ploy to get people to subscribe but its clear to me now that it is to stop the kidz of todat getting stressed out.
    Iselin
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Alomar said:
    The game's very much directed for/aimed at casual pve'ers and rp'ers all of whom are die-hard ES fans. I half believe the reason we haven't seen ES 6 yet is to keep them in this game rather than replaying and modding a new one for years.
    And yet some PVPers played it for years... many still do. 

It was clear that DAoC-style PVP was very much an early design goal and they did a pretty good job of it. But that wasn't what the bulk of the players they attracted wanted to do. There are less campaigns now than there were at release. On the NA server there is really only one that is pop-locked every evening and on weekends.

By year 2 when they went B2P, they were in full re-focus mode. The only reason the very first DLC was a PVP DLC was because they had already been working on it that first year and it was ready to go.

After that it was full-on crown store vanity items which is where their main focus is now. Casuals seem to have a ravenous appetite for that sort of thing so they're there in droves.

It's a different crowd today than it was in those early years but there are still some around that actually want to play it for the game play. You see them in Cyrodiil, vet dungeons and trials. But the bulk of the population solos and doesn't set foot in either Cyrodiil or group instances.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• Teak2112Teak2112 Member UncommonPosts: 61
    Most of the OPs complaints are true for Skyrim too.

• Pr3sid3ntSkr00bPr3sid3ntSkr00b Member UncommonPosts: 53
    The only thing I ever really liked about this game is that other people play it. It has a playerbase. Other than that I  mostly agree w the OP 
  • Cyber_wastelandCyber_wasteland Member UncommonPosts: 192
    Nail, destroyed by hammer. I too want to like this game, and almost feel like I need to like it.

I just can not, I prefer tab target combat so that right there kills it for me.

I can not seem to figure out the skills and the action bar as nothing has a cool down so I'm not sure what I should be using. Why put others on there when I can spam the same skill over and over and seem to kill the mob faster then if I was to use a build. (idk this is just me but coming from games like Anarchy Online, Everquest 1 and 2, RIFT major one there since you build your class and FFXIV where everything has a cool down BUT there is strategy with what I'm using.)

The world scales to your level, I can NOT stand it when an mmorpg or any game for that matter does this. 

I have tried to play it like it was an mmorpg, I have tried to play it as if it was another Sky-deadhorse-rim. Just cant seem to find my hold with the game, everyone has there own opinion and there isn't a wrong one (unlike some want to believe) and IMHO I think the game is not that great and just isn't for me. My time with mmorpgs may just be up, with the old world gone and the new world here. Games like SWG, AO, Vanilla WoW, Old school RIFT. When the Everquest game's were in its prime, I will most likely not get that feeling or place to call home again.  

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    Nail, destroyed by hammer. I too want to like this game, and almost feel like I need to like it.

I can not seem to figure out the skills and the action bar as nothing has a cool down so I'm not sure what I should be using. Why put others on there when I can spam the same skill over and over and seem to kill the mob faster then if I was to use a build. (idk this is just me but coming from games like Anarchy Online, Everquest 1 and 2, RIFT major one there since you build your class and FFXIV where everything has a cool down BUT there is strategy with what I'm using.)

The world scales to your level, I can NOT stand it when an mmorpg or any game for that matter does this. 

I have tried to play it like it was an mmorpg, I have tried to play it as if it was another Sky-deadhorse-rim. Just cant seem to find my hold with the game, everyone has there own opinion and there isn't a wrong one (unlike some want to believe) and IMHO I think the game is not that great and just isn't for me. My time with mmorpgs may just be up, with the old world gone and the new world here. Games like SWG, AO, Vanilla WoW, Old school RIFT. When the Everquest game's were in its prime, I will most likely not get that feeling or place to call home again.  
    Project Gorgon
    Pr3sid3ntSkr00b
  • Cyber_wastelandCyber_wasteland Member UncommonPosts: 192
    Scorchien said:

Project Gorgon
    Been following the progress of the game. Waiting for a little time to pass, bugs to get ironed out and more content to be added. Played the, what is it pre-alpha or alpha it is in right now. Did enjoy what I saw but going to wait till some more time passes. 

(Also how do I know if anyone replies to a comment I make or quotes something I say? I don't seem to be getting any notification stating it.) 

I can not seem to figure out the skills and the action bar as nothing has a cool down so I'm not sure what I should be using. Why put others on there when I can spam the same skill over and over and seem to kill the mob faster then if I was to use a build.
    Well you can't do that. Other MMOs use timers. This one uses resources. You can only spam something long enough until you run out of the resource it uses. Unless you're talking about spamming light attacks and heavy attacks and are not actually using any abilities. You might be able to get away with that fighting a skeever but just go into a 4 man instance and see how that works out for you :)

As a matter of fact, many of you in this thread could do with running even the easiest of 4-man group dungeons so you can see how combat actually works.
    YashaXgervaise1[Deleted User]
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• sumdumguy1sumdumguy1 Member RarePosts: 1,373
    OP - I feel the same way and I have tried and tried and tried this game as I loved most of the predecessors.  No matter how often I have tried, I can not get into this game.  Its missing something for me.  That being said, many people like this game and all the best for them.  I have learned don't question it too much, just move on and find something you do like.
    SovrathMrMelGibson[Deleted User]
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,003
    Alomar said:
    nah, they are different companies. Bethesda is working on 3 other games at the moment.

And "yeah" I get it, eventually people want to do different things.
    MrMelGibson
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • GolelornGolelorn Member RarePosts: 1,395
    edited April 2018
    I enjoy it because its about the only populated MMO in existence. I can log in, and play immediately. I have tons of options in ESO. I do not have to raid to be competitive in PvP. The dungeons are not trivial once you get past the starter dungeons, and vet dungeons are a challenge. The grind to level 50 CP 160 is terrible. 

You clearly liked nothing about the game. There is no need for you to feel personally slighted.

I gotta chuckle at the people who think you can just waltz in with 1 ability and own ESO... Are you sure you tried ESO? Because I assure you, that you'll have a tough time even past 20 playing with 1 skill on your tool bar... unless you're running with the dolmen zerg?
    YashaXSetzer[Deleted User]MrMelGibson
  • SetzerSetzer Member UncommonPosts: 261
    I enjoy the game for what it is. For my time and style of play the game fits my needs. I don't have a ton of hours to invest and to be able to jump in and do what I want when I want is a nice convenience to have. They add new content and I can immediately access it, no having to spend hours and hours grinding levels or quests to unlock it. I also enjoy the character development in ESO. I feel like I can build the character I want to play which is refreshing change from other MMO's I've played where the devs dictate how you advance your character. Even scaling works well in this game. I never have to worry about outleveling content and every encounter offers a challenge.

Like @Golelorn says, there are a ton of things to do in the game, you can jump in at any time and play the new content they add, and raiding isn't required to be competitive in PvP. My only real complaint about the game would be the guild trader system. I would prefer an Auction House but I understand what that would do to the player economy especially on a single server, I just hate having to travel from city to city looking for an item I want.

[Deleted User]MrMelGibson
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    Quite simply, there is not a better AAA modern MMO out there. The OP lists a lot of areas he is unhappy with, how about telling posters if they want a better AAA modern MMO, where they are going to go? :)
    SetzerGolelornYashaX[Deleted User]MrMelGibson
    Setzer said:
    My only real complaint about the game would be the guild trader system. I would prefer an Auction House but I understand what that would do to the player economy especially on a single server, I just hate having to travel from city to city looking for an item I want.

Even if you don't use the add-on, have a look at the Tamriel Trade Center website and do a search for the item you want on your server. You'll get a list of which guild vendor has it for what price... cuts down on travel quite a bit if you're looking for something specific.

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

<snip>

If you don't like it you don't like it. However a minor point:

The world doesn't scale to your level. It is not like some other games.

The world is "set" to a "level 50" (aka CP160). Doesn't mean all the mobs are the same - there are easy mobs, normal mobs, bosses, arch bosses, swarms and so forth. Their level is set however and doesn't change.

What happens is that new level 1 characters are provided with a "boost". A somewhat sophisticated boost as well that diminishes as they approach level 50. Once they get to "level 50" there is no more boost. Ever.

This was done to accomodate the desire that was expressed for people to "go anywhere". And one consequence is that there are no starter areas - so often devoid of people in an established game. Or any "end zones" - being the only place that anyone ever quests in.

And in terms of the "journey" going from level 1 to level 50 is a relatively small part of the path, 20% say.

(Someone who plays a lot of alts will - sort of - do the 1-50 more often but its not the same. Sort of because the game is very alt friendly.) 
    Cyber_wastelandYashaX[Deleted User]MrMelGibson
    Sovrath said:
    Alomar said:
    nah, they are different companies. Bethesda is working on 3 other games at the moment.

And "yeah" I get it, eventually people want to do different things.
    It could be a factor. At the end of the day - and at the level that the profit and loss sheet is ultmately  assessed - they are the same "big company". And decisions will be made to (try and) maximise profits.

In the same way,say, that companies that make films are distinct. Ultimately it is the studios (and distributoes etc.) that decide when to release the films, timed in order to maximise revenue.

Also all the lore stuff is checked off as well - or was anyway. Maybe ZoS is the current custodian of the task.
  • eddieg50eddieg50 Member UncommonPosts: 1,809
    Op you are correct. The combat is OK but could certainly be better, the stories are again OK but not nearly as good as SWTOR or Secret World or even STO. Level scaling really killed it for me, it took away all the challenge. Crafting again OK. PvP confusing and OK at best. Thus there is the problem, it is an OK game, it does not excell in any one area, at least SWTOR and SW excell in story telling. Why would I waste time playing an OK mmo when I can play an excellent single player game like Witcher series, Skyrim, even Kingdom Come?  
    SetzerJeroKaneMrMelGibson
  • SetzerSetzer Member UncommonPosts: 261
    eddieg50 said:
    Op you are correct. The combat is OK but could certainly be better, the stories are again OK but not nearly as good as SWTOR or Secret World or even STO. Level scaling really killed it for me, it took away all the challenge. Crafting again OK. PvP confusing and OK at best. Thus there is the problem, it is an OK game, it does not excell in any one area, at least SWTOR and SW excell in story telling. Why would I waste time playing an OK mmo when I can play an excellent single player game like Witcher series, Skyrim, even Kingdom Come?  
    I fail to see how level scaling takes away all the challenge. Also, you do realize Witcher 3 and Skyrim both use level scaling?
  • HyperpsycrowHyperpsycrow Member RarePosts: 914
    You are missing the scatman ! BABOBEEE SKIPPEDI BADBOOEEH !