Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ashes of Creation - PAX East 2018 - Ashes of Creation Demo & Interview - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited April 2018 in News & Features Discussion

imageAshes of Creation - PAX East 2018 - Ashes of Creation Demo & Interview - MMORPG.com

In the last few years there have been many new MMOs stepping up to the plate and trying to be the next big hit. Many of these have started to show the first signs of trouble early on. So, it’s within this context I approached the pre-alpha demo for Ashes of Creation; with a fair bit of apprehension and a side of cynicism. I am quite happy to say the demo exceeded all my expectations for what a MMO in pre-Alpha can be.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• NitemareMMONitemareMMO Member UncommonPosts: 239
    How many WoW expansions do we still need to wait for this?
    XingbairongScotLife2vGaladourn[Deleted User]Mitarachocolate42069ThupliSamhael
  • hoenens1hoenens1 Member UncommonPosts: 310

I think about 2
  • maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180
    Seems like its coming along nicely, but I would suspect that the "slow pace" of combat skills will be tweaked some.  It sounds like it would be extremely frustrating not being able to use skills very often.  The corruption system seems okay, but my guess on how well it will work will depend on how tough gear will be to acquire. 

People may flag to kill non competitive players, but in systems like these, they usually will wear crappy gear to do it to ensure they don't lose anything of merit, and this gets exacerbated if gear takes a long time to get. 
    [Deleted User]ThupliKyleransamurai225

• KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,030
    That combat is gag-worthy.  
    Splooshii
  • berlightberlight Member UncommonPosts: 345
    WOW KILLA
    JamesGoblinchocolate42069Ozmodan

Beta tester maniac

• jgDuffayjgDuffay Member UncommonPosts: 237

berlight said:

WOW KILLA

nah, wow reborn is coming ..
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    My god,knowing likely a full year or more they were going to PAX they setup a DUNGEON demo...sigh.
    Then the article writer says he went in with skepticism and was basically amazed,wtf how so ,they had a year to get a dungeon map ready,if they couldn't pull that off they really should get out of the business.

This does absolutely nothing to giver me any hope or excitement at all and to make it worse,NO VIDEO,just chit chat.
    Life2vOzmodanDreadstoneofxev

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• Deadrites87Deadrites87 Member UncommonPosts: 94
    I don't like the monetization of this game at all. 75 to 500 bucks for time limited preorders just screams of greed and usually doesn't end well.
    Gdemami
  • timeraidertimeraider Member UncommonPosts: 865

Probably untill they have a stable Vanilla wow ;D

Wizardry said:

My god,knowing likely a full year or more they were going to PAX they setup a DUNGEON demo...sigh.

Then the article writer says he went in with skepticism and was basically amazed,wtf how so ,they had a year to get a dungeon map ready,if they couldn't pull that off they really should get out of the business.

This does absolutely nothing to giver me any hope or excitement at all and to make it worse,NO VIDEO,just chit chat.

They do have video's on their twitch channel (ashes of creation) if you need it.
    It wasnt a year to setup a dungeon btw.
    Even assuming they did NOTHING except for work on the dungeon, still only half a year since pax west.

However anyone who has seen combat videos and compared the video's of Pax west -> family prealpha -> pas east will have to agree that both visually as well as combat-wise/gameplayfeel it keeps improving quite a bit every single step (without seeing content they ofcourse have in development).

Not saying it doesnt have a chance on falling flat on its face, but if they keep up the same % of improvement every event, it has a good chance of ending up decent.

Do have to agree that i wish the reviewer would be able to post a video of himself with it but that could have other reasons perhaps
    Life2vCazriel
    Ashes of Creation Referral link - Help me to help you!
    https://ashesofcreation.com/r/Y4U3PQCASUPJ5SED

Probably untill they have a stable Vanilla wow ;D

Wizardry said:

They do have video's on their twitch channel (ashes of creation) if you need it.
    It wasnt a year to setup a dungeon btw.
    Even assuming they did NOTHING except for work on the dungeon, still only half a year since pax west.

However anyone who has seen combat videos and compared the video's of Pax west -> family prealpha -> pas east will have to agree that both visually as well as combat-wise/gameplayfeel it keeps improving quite a bit every single step (without seeing content they ofcourse have in development).

Not saying it doesnt have a chance on falling flat on its face, but if they keep up the same % of improvement every event, it has a good chance of ending up decent.

Do have to agree that i wish the reviewer would be able to post a video of himself with it but that could have other reasons perhaps

I see zero difference between this and PAX west, except the removal of that horrible "timing" bar in combat.

There's still quite a ways to go though too.
    Life2v
  • danwest58danwest58 Member RarePosts: 2,012
    I don't like the monetization of this game at all. 75 to 500 bucks for time limited preorders just screams of greed and usually doesn't end well.
    I guess you dont like any MMORPG that has done a Kickstarter then.    Funny thing is Ashes of Creation had the best Kickstarter of any MMORPG and has no P2W shit like many of the others.  The Only thing you can get with the kickstarters that other couldnt get is vanity items and a life time sub.  
    Maurgrim
  • GreatnessGreatness Member UncommonPosts: 2,180
    edited April 2018
    The pre-order type packages they have are overvalued on what you are getting unless you see actually paying more to get early access/play alpha and beta. Otherwise the game is supposed to be monthly subscription without a game box ( at least there FAQ states that). I am going to wait until it comes out to start.
    Regardless sadly this is the one that seems to be progressing the most with the most to show.
    I for one am excited as the it is bringing back classical class system at least and somewhat Lineage 2 type PVP.
    Mitara

~Greatness~

Currently Playing:
    Nothing

• MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    While this isn't a game I have been following and likely wouldn't play (too PvP heavy), it does sound like there's some interesting ideas going on in there.  The interplay of the various skills does seem like the basis of a new idea, anyway.   Maybe in a years time, there will be more information available.

Dreadstoneofxev

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• blamo2000blamo2000 Member RarePosts: 1,130
    If this game is pre-alpha why is it on the game's list for this site to "play immediately?"
    Mitara
  • MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    blamo2000 said:
    If this game is pre-alpha why is it on the game's list for this site to "play immediately?"
    I'm pretty sure that was supposed to read "Pay immediately".

Mitara[Deleted User]GreatnessKyleranScotDreadstoneofxevesc-joconnorMidPrincessStrizzy12

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• ZorlofeZorlofe Member UncommonPosts: 215
    I'm personally pretty pumped for this game! If it turns out like they say it will I think it will do quite well but only time will tell. One thing is for sure is that I'l be waiting in line to play it unlike many of the other snooze fests out there right now.
  • blamo2000blamo2000 Member RarePosts: 1,130
    edited April 2018
    Mendel said:
    blamo2000 said:
    I'm pretty sure that was supposed to read "Pay immediately".

I can buy now, sure.  But if its pre-alpha how or why could it be played?  I just checked and the list on the front page is worded as - Games to play now!  You'd figure it would only list games you can actually play now.

Edit - on the forum list it is worded - Games to play, download, or pre-order now!  Or something close to that.  I'm having a hard time understanding the different wordings of it, or the reason they'd completely shit on what could be a functional list by adding nonsense like pre-ordering to it.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,509
    edited April 2018
    Er, to those here complaining about a lack of progress or quality in this thread....ya all know it's still a little less than one year since their Kickstarter campaign funded right?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1791529601/ashes-of-creation-new-mmorpg-by-intrepid-studios/updates

Let me repeat...less than 1, one, uno, ein, 1.0000 year since it got rolling.

I am impressed (and Harbingers don't get impressed easily or often) they can demo anything 6 months ago at PAX West and again put together a full dungeon romp with multiple classes at PAX East.

In a little over 10 months in case I haven't been clear. 

I can't recall a crowdfunded MMORPG title ever coming out of the blocks so quickly * with something to show for their efforts and based on previous expectations for some reason I keep looking to see where the "scam" is,  yet I've got nothing. 

(*Well except for Wild West Online and that title still screams "scam" to me.)

Heck, they might have already passed Pantheon and soon may go by CU and Crowfall by years end.

I'm starting to think this game may "release" before all of them including of course, the big dog in the room, SC.

MadFrenchieConstantineMerusGdemamiZombieCatMaurgrimRhomsAngreeegamer

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    From what I have read, their perception of pvp design is lacking.  I wish them the best, but unless significant changes to pvp are not done, this will be a niche game.  Long way to go though so we will have to wait and see what changes occur.
    Dreadstoneofxev
    Kyleran said:
    Er, to those here complaining about a lack of progress or quality in this thread....ya all know it's still a little less than one year since their Kickstarter campaign funded right?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1791529601/ashes-of-creation-new-mmorpg-by-intrepid-studios/updates

Let me repeat...less than 1, one, uno, ein, 1.0000 year since it got rolling.

I am impressed (and Harbingers don't get impressed easily or often) they can demo anything 6 months ago at PAX West and again put together a full dungeon romp with multiple classes at PAX East.

In a little over 10 months in case I haven't been clear. 

I can't recall a crowdfunded MMORPG title ever coming out of the blocks so quickly * with something to show for their efforts and based on previous expectations for some reason I keep looking to see where the "scam" is,  yet I've got nothing. 

(*Well except for Wild West Online and that title still screams "scam" to me.)

Heck, they might have already passed Pantheon and soon may go by CU and Crowfall by years end.

I'm starting to think this game may "release" before all of them including of course, the big dog in the room, SC.

I still don't see anything unique or different in the game's systems, and the one thing that IS front and center in all the videos (combat) is unimpressive.  I'll be interested when they show the node system doing all the things that they say it can do.
    Dreadstoneofxev
  • helllordkbhelllordkb Member UncommonPosts: 2
    Thank you for review. I am glad to see someone that got to play it enjoyed it. After SWG and EQ I still have yet to find an MMO that sticks on the market and that has the same kind of feel. So far I am loving what I am seeing coming from this game. The under-realm, the crafting, the secondary professions, the cities and housing and crafting, and the combat looks ok.

But it feels like for the last several years alot of MMO's have come and gone. Alot of startup Developer groups come and gone. Alot of hopes raised and destroyed. I was most looking forward to EQ Next but such is life. I very much like to see some of the concepts that were planned for EQ next are in this game, or at similar concepts. e.g. the underrealm, the multiple levels in some of the gameplay where the player fall into a cave, and then a mob bursts throw the wall of the cave. The idea of cities and towns changing with the population count in game. AoC seems to have alot of these very exciting features kind of like EQ Next started to have. And then it has more like actual seasons which look really cool.

I think it would be cool if the seasons had an impact on the effect of certain abilities or stats. e.g. In the winter season, attacks with fire Damage over time does more DPS then in the summer, and vice versa, frost abilities do more DPS in the summer. A Tanks stamina might be lower in the winter then in summer, a rangers accuracy with a bow might be less in heavy wind. Things like this would make the combat more dynamic, more immersive and would require more thought and/talent.

I despise pay to play cause it just ruins it, just all over, it ruins economy, immersion, etc. The same kind of thought is what ruined SWG when they added the NGE(New Game Enchancements). Hey, we can sell more copies of the game and get more subscriptions if we just let people start as a Jedi or Sith instead of completing the 6 month story arc to become force sensitive and get a visit from " ... an old man ".

I'm also not a fan of the stylized realism or cartoony look of alot of korean and japanese games have and others seem to adopt, but I have friends who love it and i know there are those who do. I am glad to see AoC does not have that cartoony look. I played WoW too, but it along with all the wannabe WoW's just have so much bland grind in its questing that it just got boring and even playing as a different class or race didn't do enough to change that. And the Combat got old real fast. The end game was fun but the grind to get to it was unbearable.

I almost think we need something new for combat control or something old. I kind of would like to see MMos get rid of a button/skill combat where you can hot key or click an ability. I think it came from alot of RTS combat control, e.g. warcraft, age of empires, command and conquer . It worked for RTS because you had tons of units to control and you had to click on each one to control the combat/movement of each unit/group of units. That made combat very intense and focused, e.g. how many clicks or actions per second you could do typically meant you were better at starcraft.

After a while that kind of combat can feel stagnant, repetitive and not at all immersive in an MMO. I am not sure what the right answer is but some ideas I keep thinking of are combat control from the MUD days or combat control from 90's consoles where you had chain button presses in just the right order to use an ability.

Everyone having to type the combat actions gave the MUDs an immersive and busy feel and really sucked you into the combat. While I'm not sure I want to type that much though, you must admit MUDs felt immersive and sucked you in to the combat and exploration.

Maybe something like a 90's console game for combat, where you have to hit the right keys in the right order to do attack X or spell Y or heal Z. e.g. the sub zero mortal kombat freeze move, which I'm sure we all still remember. Maybe certain abilities could only be done from a crouch, maybe certain abilities only during a jump. That act and skill of discovering, remembering and using the right button/keystrokes at the right time gave combat a skillful/immersive feel to it. You could re-use the same sequences or keystrokes for multiple abilities as a weapon or combat styles skill points for your character go up as your character "levels" and old abilities are replaced by more powerful ones.

Anyway, i hope Ashes of Creation continues to look as good as it does and succeeds and stays around. Maybe I'll even get to play it at PAX this weekend. I am really really hoping we have an MMO that matches up to SWG and EQ and not just another wow clone. Hoping so hard.
  • DreadstoneofxevDreadstoneofxev Member CommonPosts: 17
    Those who enjoy ganking will not be deterred by a bounty system.

It boggles my mind, that in 2018, there are still games with either, one, a PvP -focus, or two, where PvP is forced in any way, shape, or form. I don't know who has the ears of these devs who go down that road, but they are being led astray.

IOW, I can be level 1, get ganked, and well, unless there's a "big brother" around, I can be ganked, and camped, and well, that's it.

No thank you.
    Ozmodan
  • PeskyPesky Member UncommonPosts: 157
    Good write up. But this game is not for me.

The more I read about it, the more turned off I become.

Nope, I'm gonna give this one a big miss.
  • beretta7beretta7 Member UncommonPosts: 15
    The ONLY thing that excites me about this game right now is the fact they aren’t catering to Care Bears. Finally someone that sees PVP in the correct light. The bounty hunter addition done right will separate this game from everything since SWG. This game sold itself hard on being different from other games and trying to get back to the pre wow days where immersion and community existed. Nothing stands out to me right now that would make me feel like this is doing that, but the somewhat openPVP,bounty hunter system and partial to full loot system has me really excited. Although i’ll Believe all that when I see it implemented fully...I’ve seen too many games cater to care bear because they tend to cry the most. I’ll end with this thought...there’s an endless amount of mindless easy button care bear PvP style MMORPG games on the market right now (pretty much all that exists) and nothing is breaking any sales records. Don’t listen to the squeaky wheel devs and go with your heart and this will be successful.
    Kyleran[Deleted User]GdemamiZombieCatMidPrincessAzoth
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,509
    beretta7 said:
    The ONLY thing that excites me about this game right now is the fact they aren’t catering to Care Bears. Finally someone that sees PVP in the correct light. The bounty hunter addition done right will separate this game from everything since SWG. This game sold itself hard on being different from other games and trying to get back to the pre wow days where immersion and community existed. Nothing stands out to me right now that would make me feel like this is doing that, but the somewhat openPVP,bounty hunter system and partial to full loot system has me really excited. Although i’ll Believe all that when I see it implemented fully...I’ve seen too many games cater to care bear because they tend to cry the most. I’ll end with this thought...there’s an endless amount of mindless easy button care bear PvP style MMORPG games on the market right now (pretty much all that exists) and nothing is breaking any sales records. Don’t listen to the squeaky wheel devs and go with your heart and this will be successful.
    Clearly I see some “crying” in this thread, doesn’t seem to be limited to “carebears”

;)
    [Deleted User]ArleeConstantineMerus

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon