Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Gaming commercial blurs the lines of reality.

Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
A very interesting commercial.  What happens when you put a gamer in a real sports car using monitor feedback only?  My only question is how much practice did they get first and how fast did they actually go?  I did watch wondering if they would total the cars.  Still, an interest idea and a step up from VR in many ways.  I'd pay real money to do something like that. :)

Castrol EDGE presents TITANIUM GAMER

Inspired by Need for Speed™ Payback, Castrol EDGE presents Titanium Gamer

Castrol EDGE Titanium Gamer Behind the Scenes - #1

Castrol EDGE Titanium Gamer Behind the Scenes- #2

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

Comments

• sunandshadowsunandshadow Member RarePosts: 1,985
    OMG could they do this with little remote controlled cars?  That could be a ton of fun.
    Octagon7711
    I want to help design and develop a PvE-focused, solo-friendly, sandpark MMO which combines crafting, monster hunting, and story.  So PM me if you are starting one.
  • cameltosiscameltosis Member LegendaryPosts: 3,706
    Certainly seems like an interesting experiment, basically seeing the effects of removing proper vision and replacing it with 2D vision. The whole thing is kind of the opposite of VR though.

With VR, your vision gets "better" but everything else is worse, whereas in this experience your vision got worse whilst everything else got better. 

What also stood out to me is that neither driver was wearing a helmet which strikes me as odd. You're putting two guys, one an actual racer, the other a gamer, into a high powered car, then asking them to race down dirt tracks with all the windows blacked out and only a small monitor to see by! The potential for a crash seems really high to me, which makes me wonder just how authentic this was.