Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I haven't played a MMO in two years... I need one.

AzureProwerAzurePrower Member UncommonPosts: 1,550
I suppose there's Warframe that I played in early 2017, but it's not really a MMO and the PoE update ruined it for me. But other than that. Guild Wars 2's disappointing HoT expansion was the last time I played a MMO in 2016 and don't plan to return for its current expansion.

I've fell away from the MMO scene since then. Black Desert Online being the last MMO I remember being released. Looking at going back to all the old MMOs I used to play that released pre-2016 is about as appealing as a dog going back to its own vomit; even after expansions and updates.

Videos of up and coming MMOs like this have wet my appetite:

But I'm clueless of when to expect any of these to be released/playable. If any one has any information on release dates or playable betas. I'd appreciate that.

In the meantime. Really need a MMO to play until these up and coming MMOs release. Any one have an idea on what MMOs have been released in the past year? If any?

Comments

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,986
    edited March 2018
    My advice would be to only play a MMO some time after it had been "launched", that way you play a better product. The idea of a launch is becoming meaningless especially in indie MMOs mind you.

The only two new ones I know that are supposedly launched now are Albion (already) and Shroud of the Avatar (27th of this month supposedly). I notice some gaming sites have called the SotA launch "leaving early access" that about sums up where we are now with indie MMO launches.
    KyleranMrMelGibson
  • malikhigh1978malikhigh1978 Member UncommonPosts: 45
    Honestly, I think what it comes down to is people are looking for that next level experience. I feel as if VR/sensory gloves/Omni compatible games are the future. People want to be able to get in shape while they are pushing the limits of gaming. Not all, but I think that's the realism people are seeking. Within a few years they'll probably even come out with a sensory suit, different sizes of course, lol, that will mimic every move. The other side is augmented reality, and not like Pokemon crap, but some true realism. Like a Harry Potter augmented, where you can carry your bluetooth compatible wand with you, and you have smart glasses that have an overlay. You can see other wizards if you are lets say in school, or at the mall, and challenge them to duels. In order to cast, you HAVE to know the wave pattern of the wand, and say the particular words, and you would both see the effects in real time. In fact, those who may be bistanders, but have the glasses and have the app could see everything happen. Maybe you could make a setting to where it's open pvp, with a safe command if you are getting pummeled. Who knows. I'm just bantering, but that's what I feel. I've played online games from Asherons Call, to all the latest, and it's evolved, but only now do we have the capacity to truly take it to the next level.

• AzureProwerAzurePrower Member UncommonPosts: 1,550
    Scot said:
    My advice would be to only play a MMO some time after it had been "launched", that way you play a better product. The idea of a launch is becoming meaningless especially in indie MMOs mind you.

The only two new ones I know that are supposedly launched now are Albion (already) and Shroud of the Avatar (27th of this month supposedly). I notice some gaming sites have called the SotA launch "leaving early access" that about sums up where we are now with indie MMO launches.
    Thanks for listing those two games off. Researched them and sadly found that they weren't what I'm looking for.

Honestly, I think what it comes down to is people are looking for that next level experience. I feel as if VR/sensory gloves/Omni compatible games are the future. People want to be able to get in shape while they are pushing the limits of gaming. Not all, but I think that's the realism people are seeking. Within a few years they'll probably even come out with a sensory suit, different sizes of course, lol, that will mimic every move. The other side is augmented reality, and not like Pokemon crap, but some true realism. Like a Harry Potter augmented, where you can carry your bluetooth compatible wand with you, and you have smart glasses that have an overlay. You can see other wizards if you are lets say in school, or at the mall, and challenge them to duels. In order to cast, you HAVE to know the wave pattern of the wand, and say the particular words, and you would both see the effects in real time. In fact, those who may be bistanders, but have the glasses and have the app could see everything happen. Maybe you could make a setting to where it's open pvp, with a safe command if you are getting pummeled. Who knows. I'm just bantering, but that's what I feel. I've played online games from Asherons Call, to all the latest, and it's evolved, but only now do we have the capacity to truly take it to the next level.

I think VR is still just a gimmick and a long ways off. Most VR 'games' are really just tech demos.
    Scotcraftseeker
  • cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,101
    edited March 2018
    VR and me = lots of throwing up and headaches = no thanks.
    KylerancraftseekerA1D3N
    Chamber of Chains
  • PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,072
    Scot said:

Thanks for listing those two games off. Researched them and sadly found that they weren't what I'm looking for.

I think VR is still just a gimmick and a long ways off. Most VR 'games' are really just tech demos.
    It's most certainly not a gimmick, and there are real, full fledged titles out for the various VR platforms (one of which I have more than 1,700 logged hours in across all platforms - one guess on the name).

However, on the rig I use it's a bit of a commitment to set up; recently I've preferred the instant accessibility of a mouse, monitor and keyboard, although I still go back to VR from time to time as it offers something totally unique and worthwhile.
    craftseeker

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    You might get a kick out of Secret World. Even if you don't like the game itself, the stories are awesome.
    PhaserlightMrMelGibson

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508
    Life is Feudal is in early access,  perhaps thats your style?

MrMelGibson

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Kyleran said:

Not a very good first impression I'm afraid.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,015
    Kyleran said:

Not a very good first impression I'm afraid.

Actually I would recommend people watch that. Some of the things he mentions are not only "non issues" for me but in some cases a plus.

Not everything mind you and it gives you an idea as to the state of the game. But areas that are dark/very dark and dropping one in the middle of nowhere to figure out what to do are not necessarily minuses.
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • Sid_ViciousSid_Vicious Member RarePosts: 2,177
    Darkfall New Dawn just launched a couple months ago and is probably the funnest MMORPG out right now... its nothing like the original well besides the look and some of the feel.

Nobody has the same build and everyone is unique and there is so much that can be done or discovered in the game that it would probably take a year to experience everything the game has to offer...

Its very casual player friendly now.. playing every day all day will not get you ahead in skills really, just gear or if you craft and choose that as one of your five specs. Can make money transporting goods or visit enemy race and disrupt their trade much like EVE but for fantasy game with much funner gameplay and PVP. Pretty much just stay subbed and your character will reach endgame stats in a few months... regardless of if you play 10 hours a week or 80, the progression is almost the same.

Also, Conan Exiles is going to be launched this May and that one is very fun for few months of gameplay maybe... not sure of anything else sooner than that or that is as good as Darkfall New Dawn.

NEWS FLASH! "A bank was robbed the other day and a man opened fire on the customers being held hostage. One customer zig-zag sprinted until he found cover. When questioned later he explained that he was a hardcore gamer and knew just what to do!" Download my music for free! I release several albums per month as part of project "Thee Untitled" . .. some video game music remixes and cover songs done with instruments in there as well! http://theeuntitled.bandcamp.com/ Check out my roleplaying blog, collection of fictional short stories, and fantasy series... updated on a blog for now until I am finished! https://childrenfromtheheavensbelow.blogspot.com/ Watch me game on occasion or make music... https://www.twitch.tv/spoontheeuntitled and subscribe! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUvqULn678VrF3OasgnbsyA

Darkfall New Dawn
    Looks quite good. But the deal breaker is the full loot pvp. Played full loot pvp games before. Being griefed and losing every thing you have is not an experience I wish to relive again. It becomes anxiety inducing (not even the good kind like in horror games) rather than fun.
  • ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534
    edited April 2018
    well, if you like story, try secret world.

it was nerfed with the re-release, yes, it's alot easier now. doesn't matter tho, story is still impressive af, and gives your whole journey there at least one reason :)

and maybe you will get used to the 8 skill system too... who knows

MrMelGibson

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• Sid_ViciousSid_Vicious Member RarePosts: 2,177
    Darkfall New Dawn
    Looks quite good. But the deal breaker is the full loot pvp. Played full loot pvp games before. Being griefed and losing every thing you have is not an experience I wish to relive again. It becomes anxiety inducing (not even the good kind like in horror games) rather than fun.
    Honestly I wouldn't let that stop you... I've been jumped while engaged in PVE only three or four times that I can remember during this 2 months of playing and I have been grinding in enemy lands for more encounters on purpose WHILE STREAMING... luckily most fights I start so those don't count because I was hunting for it but I never have killed the same person more than once. It is impossible to be bind-camped in this new version and I have not heard of anyone being ripped off or trade-ganked or anything like that in this version so far as the community is pretty friendly.

That being said, I KNOW FOR A FACT that you would very likely NOT ENCOUNTER PVP AT ALL if you were trying to PVE safely in the confines of your own racial area. Its ridiculously easy to avoid PVP when you don't feel like doing it or have lots of loot. If you get sudden lag it means someone is coming and that is usually enough time to get away if you are that paranoid but if grinding up in your own racially safe area its probably just a friendly player passing by. This week so far every enemy I have come across I simply hid behind a rock because I had a lot of loot and didn't feel like risking it... and if you bring an extra mount with some stamina potions you would be very hard to take down, even if outnumbered... just need to know how to play and PVP happens when you want it to.

I have so far trusted almost 20 people to craft me things that I gave them mats for without anybody ripping me off or pulling anything shady. Its quite different than it used to be and far friendlier than other full-loot games.

Also I should mention that those times that I was killed by other players, they usually left most (sometimes all) of my stuff on my corpse and usually sent me a tell to let me know that.

The anxiety is there though still, of course, just because you know its possible. Feels rather silly though knowing the truth of how safe the game is right now.

In this version of the game banking is localized so I am usually carrying a lot of loot, even sometimes transferring TONS of gear, and have never had a significant loss. Its so rare to die that it honestly seems about as annoying as an item breaking from being used too much. Usually it happens after I had already used up most of my stuff anyways and about to leave the spawn.

On the other side of the spectrum, you can still find a fight when you want one immediately so long as you are willing to take a risk and know where to go.

NEWS FLASH! "A bank was robbed the other day and a man opened fire on the customers being held hostage. One customer zig-zag sprinted until he found cover. When questioned later he explained that he was a hardcore gamer and knew just what to do!" Download my music for free! I release several albums per month as part of project "Thee Untitled" . .. some video game music remixes and cover songs done with instruments in there as well! http://theeuntitled.bandcamp.com/ Check out my roleplaying blog, collection of fictional short stories, and fantasy series... updated on a blog for now until I am finished! https://childrenfromtheheavensbelow.blogspot.com/ Watch me game on occasion or make music... https://www.twitch.tv/spoontheeuntitled and subscribe! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUvqULn678VrF3OasgnbsyA