Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What the hell am I missing here with ESO?

Comments

• DvoraDvora Member UncommonPosts: 499
    Ya it's too bad its such garbage.  For the money they spent it could have been alot better.
    postlarval
  • westyywestyy Member UncommonPosts: 32
    I've tried and tried to also like this game..At first it was like me trying to like WoW, i played a couple hours and hated it. I went back to it a year later and enjoyed the crap out of it hand haven't stopped playing since then..
    This didn't work with me on ESO. i've downloaded it played a couple hours uninstalled because like some or most say its not a single player mmorpg. You really need a friend or group of friends to fully enjoy this game, and well i dont have many friends that play games like this...
    I wanna play this it looks fun but on a single player aspect of it, it just down right sucks. Not to mention this games comes out with xpacs like cell phone companies come out with newer phones every 3-5 months.. That also made me lose interest in this game as well. nearly 150$ to enjoy ALL the content of the game kinda pushed me away even more..
  • natpicknatpick Member UncommonPosts: 271
    im on my 5th attemp to try get into this game but as many of ops points are true ,not all mind you but sadly many are,the game feels too arcady and if you use a controller the game does actualy feel a bit smoother.but that been said i feel the combat is the killer for me its way too clunky,sorry cant think of better word but you get the point.
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    I've been playing since closed Beta. I enjoy the game. Either you like it or you don't, just like any other game on the market.
    But hopefully @OP you feel vindicated now that you've come here and made a post about it and have been consoled by all the other posters who don't like TESO.
    Personally I had a hard time taking anything he said seriously after I read "... Why is dodging so hard?"

1. you can step out of most things without dodging
    2. blocking or bashing works fine instead of dodging quite often
    3. dodging is just a double tap of a directional key... WTF is so hard about that?

Anyway... whatever.
    SlyLoKMrMelGibsonJeleena
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    edited April 2018
    westyy said:
    <snip> 
    I wanna play this it looks fun but on a single player aspect of it, it just down right sucks. Not to mention this games comes out with xpacs like cell phone companies come out with newer phones every 3-5 months.. That also made me lose interest in this game as well. nearly 150$ to enjoy ALL the content of the game kinda pushed me away even more..
    $11.95 new on Amazon.us for for the base edition.  There are other options as well (Gold, Morrowind etc both of which come with the Base dame).

No one needs to spend $150 though. It doesn't work for you - thats fine. Suggesting its expensive - not fine.

And you can't be advocating for less content - maybe a high priced expansion every 2+ years to go with a mandatory monthy $15 monthly sub? 

BananaSoup
  • MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222
    I think they improved the game with the scaling and the crime system.  But the game's quest heavy, running errands for NPC's gets really old.   The loot system, itemization, and no auction house all are big negatives.  Honestly if I need to play a more modern MMO, I'll play GW2 or BDO.  They at least offer some freedom and a variety of things to do.
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Mini map has an addon and other addons that give much better detail.  Addon that lets you quickly switch skills, weapons and gear.  The rest of the stuff mentioned just have to live with or not.  I like the game but they over price everything IMO, which is a bi turn off and why I don't play it as my number one MMO.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• Gyva02Gyva02 Member RarePosts: 499
    Can't stand people phasing in and out around me, wish they would have went with traditional servers. 
  • YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 3,098
    Iselin said:
    I've been playing since closed Beta. I enjoy the game. Either you like it or you don't, just like any other game on the market.
    But hopefully @OP you feel vindicated now that you've come here and made a post about it and have been consoled by all the other posters who don't like TESO.
    Personally I had a hard time taking anything he said seriously after I read "... Why is dodging so hard?"

3. dodging is just a double tap of a directional key... WTF is so hard about that?

Anyway... whatever.
    A lot of what he said sound like criticisms about the game from years ago when people either got frustrated that the UI etc wasn't enough like a normal mmo or that the game wasn't the same as Skyrim.

For me his complaint about crafting seemed really weird; its the best mmo crafting system around imo. Its not grindy, its useful from level 1 to end game, the customization in terms of appearance and stats is vast. Its a really outstanding system.

SlyLoKMrMelGibson
    edited April 2018
    YashaX said:
    Iselin said:

Anyway... whatever.
    A lot of what he said sound like criticisms about the game from years ago when people either got frustrated that the UI etc wasn't enough like a normal mmo or that the game wasn't the same as Skyrim.

For me his complaint about crafting seemed really weird; its the best mmo crafting system around imo. Its not grindy, its useful from level 1 to end game, the customization in terms of appearance and stats is vast. Its a really outstanding system.

I have a lot of patience and respect for thoughtful criticism by those who have put in the time to really understand what they're criticizing. But that's an increasingly rare thing these days when it's all about the quick judgement about shit people know nothing about.

I lose interest quickly when I realize that the person writing the criticism has no real experience with what he's criticizing.

The ESO forums have a lot of criticism about the game from people that know the game inside out (a lot of ignorant shit also to be fair but those threads seem to sputter into oblivion quickly.) And there are many interesting solutions proposed. That's a level of criticism I enjoy reading whether I agree with it or not.

For example there's an active thread right now about a newish addon that does a pretty good job of emulating a global auction house system ( http://www.esoui.com/downloads/info1768-NirnAuctionHouse.html) and there are some well thought arguments by some people who are against an AH system in ESO. I happen to think that ESO could really use and AH but it's not really a "well duh" kind of thing either. There are pros and cons and one of the pros isn't "well other MMOs have them." There's much more to it than that including how easy or hard it is to manipulate an economy with an AH.

Same for mini maps. It's a hugely popular ESO add-on that I personally have no need of. There wasn't even a "learning curve" needed to play without it. The compass and ES style top bar with icons works just fine. I can understand why some people want a mini map but their choice to go with the cleaner interface was a damn good one, IMO. 

Anyway..."I sort of tried ESO and I don't have a clue what I'm doing, but it sucks." doesn't do much for me. But it did make me wonder if @Wizardry's Emily Littela schtick is contagious :)

YashaXgervaise1SlyLoKMrMelGibsonNyghthowler
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

goboygo said:
    ... and they dont even allow you knock an arrow anymore. 
    They never did.
    klash2defSlyLoK

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• klash2defklash2def Member EpicPosts: 1,949
    ha..every week a new "I tried ESO but don't like it.. so why are people liking ESO".. etc type of thread pops up here. Every week that person joins the "I don't understand ESO" family and get pampered by the "ESO is boring" crowd.

Same names each week. We get it, you guys don't like ESO...

I think a big thing here is people don't understand how so many people can like something that they don't like. ESO players cant come up with a good enough reason for you because as soon as we say why we like it, you guys try to tear it down as if our reason for liking the game isn't enough for you. No answer is good enough because you don't want to like it. It's easy to point at its flaws, but all MMOs have flaws. 

Most of the ESO threads here are started by people trying to tear it down because they can't figure it out or it's not their taste.. you never see "why ESO is great" type threads and you won't because those players are busy playing it.

There is a lot to love about ESO you either see that or you don't. You love it, or you hate it.. Either way its fine. The game is really enjoyable for about a few million other people. So...your loss?

Personally, I'm excited about Summerset and the new skill line.
    ESO is the most consistent MMO on the market.

ESO is not "Skyrim but online".. not by a longshot but you can have some fun if you play it like it is taking quests as you explore the large lore-filled world of Tamriel.  That's how i play it and in 1st person. :) 

IselinSlyLoKNyghthowler
    "Beliefs don't change facts. Facts, if you're reasonable, should change your beliefs."

"The Society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting by fools."

Currently: Games Audio Engineer, you didn't hear what I heard, you heard what I wanted you to hear. 

• YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 3,098
    edited April 2018
    Iselin said:
    goboygo said:
    They never did.
    He means you can't indefinitely hold an arrow at full draw anymore.

Btw, just checked that AH addon you linked above; that could be a trading guild killer, ouch.
    SlyLoKMrMelGibson
    YashaX said:
    Iselin said:
    goboygo said:
    They never did.
    He means you can't indefinitely hold an arrow at full draw anymore.

Btw, just checked that AH addon you linked above; that could be a trading guild killer, ouch.
    Maybe, maybe not. You need to run an EXE that links you to their server so it requires an extra level of trust.

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• SmokewoodSmokewood Member UncommonPosts: 10
    Tiller said:
    I'm having a really hard time liking this game. That's a problem because I want to jump in to the hype of the new expansion, as well as play a bit of the last one I missed. 

Here are just some of the issues I have

<snip>

What do you guys like about the game? What Am I missing here?

Different strokes for different folks.
    I think it's the best MMORPG on the market today and it is the first one that I am excited about playing everyday since SWG.
    The fact that you can only have 6 skills on your bar at anytime is awesome.
    No tab targeting is awesome.
    Dodging attacks is awesome.
    Mixing different skills to make a custom build is awesome.

I agree that I wish there was a different trading system.
    I also would love a mini-map. 
    SlyLoKBananaSoup
  • SmokewoodSmokewood Member UncommonPosts: 10
    gervaise1 said:
    westyy said:
    <snip> 
    $11.95 new on Amazon.us for for the base edition.  There are other options as well (Gold, Morrowind etc both of which come with the Base dame).

No one needs to spend $150 though. It doesn't work for you - thats fine. Suggesting its expensive - not fine.

And you can't be advocating for less content - maybe a high priced expansion every 2+ years to go with a mandatory monthy $15 monthly sub? 

lol, i know right. 
    Pre-order the summerset expansion for $39.99 and it comes with the Marrowind expansion and the base game.
    SlyLoK
  • TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321
    edited April 2018
    ESO is good as far as open world/themeparkish MMOs go.

The problem is for me. I play an hour. And then go straight back to my modded Skyrim lol. 

Every time I play ESO, it only makes me want to play modded Skyrim. So ESO is a great game for me to get motivated for Skyrim :P
    SovrathHarikenpostlarval

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

• MargraveMargrave Member RarePosts: 1,362
    Been playing since beta as well.

I still love the game, and enjoy it greatly.

Not every game is for every player.
  • CalavryCalavry Member UncommonPosts: 113
    I logon to this game every now and then to see if there is any change to the latency since the great DOS mitigation. Each time its 315ms minimum and often as not 325ms so unplayable for me. Games which require you to dodge/avoid attacks do not work where you have high latency. I own Morrowind but have not finished it and probably never will.
    Calavry said:
    I logon to this game every now and then to see if there is any change to the latency since the great DOS mitigation. Each time its 315ms minimum and often as not 325ms so unplayable for me. Games which require you to dodge/avoid attacks do not work where you have high latency. I own Morrowind but have not finished it and probably never will.
    That's pretty bad. Where do you live and which server do you play on?

I live on the West coast of Canada and my latency hovers ~ 100 for the NA PC server and when I have played in the EU one it's still under 200. 350 must suck.
    MrMelGibson

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001
    edited April 2018
    ESO is good as far as open world/themeparkish MMOs go.

The problem is for me. I play an hour. And then go straight back to my modded Skyrim lol. 

Every time I play ESO, it only makes me want to play modded Skyrim. So ESO is a great game for me to get motivated for Skyrim :P
    That's exactly what I do.

I have discovered "just going and exploring" and ignoring most quests has helped.
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • CalavryCalavry Member UncommonPosts: 113
    Iselin said:
    Calavry said:
    That's pretty bad. Where do you live and which server do you play on?

I live on the West coast of Canada and my latency hovers ~ 100 for the NA PC server and when I have played in the EU one it's still under 200. 350 must suck.

Australia and I play on the North American Mega server.  It used to be playable as it was under the 300ms and the game allowed 275 or was it up to 265ms latency compensation as an option. Seemed they made some changes for DOS mitigation around Morrowind when they were under a sustained DOS attack and ever since then it has been 315ms and above.

I still login every now and then to see if anything has changed as it is a beautiful game and Morrowind really is Morrowind :)
    Iselin
  • time007time007 Member UncommonPosts: 1,062
    probably not missing anything.  its kind of an older game now heheh
    Alomar

IMPORTANT:  Please keep all replies to my posts about GAMING.  Please no negative or backhanded comments directed at me personally.  If you are going to post a reply that includes how you feel about me, please don't bother replying & just ignore my post instead.  I'm on this forum to talk about GAMING.  Thank you.
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163
    Smokewood said:
    Tiller said:
    I'm having a really hard time liking this game. That's a problem because I want to jump in to the hype of the new expansion, as well as play a bit of the last one I missed. 

Here are just some of the issues I have

<snip>

What do you guys like about the game? What Am I missing here?

Different strokes for different folks.
    I think it's the best MMORPG on the market today and it is the first one that I am excited about playing everyday since SWG.
    The fact that you can only have 6 skills on your bar at anytime is awesome.
    No tab targeting is awesome.
    Dodging attacks is awesome.
    Mixing different skills to make a custom build is awesome.

I agree that I wish there was a different trading system.
    I also would love a mini-map. 
    I'm also a pre-cu SWG vet, this game is nothing like swg. In fact there are no games even similar to it. When I get the urge to play SWG I just play a private server.
    Phry
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163
    I rerolled with a Dragonknight class since Nightblade just wasn't doing it for me . Still won't take away some of the negatives, but I'm gonna keep trying.
    Sovrath
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter