Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What the hell am I missing here with ESO?

TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163
edited April 2018 in Elder Scrolls Online
I'm having a really hard time liking this game. That's a problem because I want to jump in to the hype of the new expansion, as well as play a bit of the last one I missed. 

Here are just some of the issues I have

The combat to me seems absolute shit- I feel like it's just a race to download a red line than actual fun and engaging combat.  For real, water gun balloon race at the county fair is far more exciting and has more tactile feedback then this games combat does. Why is dodging so hard and ridiculous looking? And what the hell is the point of wielding a bow in this game? I feel like I'm shooting nerf arrows.

Animations are wooden- Between the Stick-in-ass running technique and the fact that my avatar looks pretty unsure of himself when wielding a knife, especially when running with it is a total immersion killer for me. I wanna feel heroic, unlike my RL self.

Clothing on avatars looks painted on- Seriously, I can't be the only one who notices this. Unless my eyes are missing that third dimension, shit looks pretty flat to me. I blame the game engine, Hero Engine to be exact. I kind of wish they never used it.

The map- It isn't as horrid as other games I've played, but it's definitely missing details I like seeing in maps, like placement of NPC, POIs with minor details ect. It's like Google Earth Vs Yellow pages map.

No mini map- The fact that you see others standing around holding horrible maps all the time tells you that there needs to be a mini map built into the game. But-they thought it would be cool and hip to have a compass like in Skyrim. Granted you can use the many mods that are are offered to make things like not having a mini map seem less sucky, still doesn't fix the combat though.

Stories- Stories are decent, some feel like filler quests with no real point at all.  I will set out to do a quest, listen to 10 minutes of dialog and think, this is going to be a great story adventure. So I set out on what I think is going to be a grand adventure head to the first place.. pick this up, do this, look at that, rescue that person, put out fire ect then run back and the quest giver is like, " here's 2 silver -ok thx bye" Little anticlimactic. So many filler quests like that. Glorified kill 10 rats like with any MMO, but it feels like more of let down  because of the build up compared to other MMOs lol.

Voice acting- At times I feel the acting is as good as local bar improv night.  Most times you can even recognize the same voice actors in many stories. It's kinda like listening to your uncle Ned telling a story with different voices (if you have an uncle Ned, I don't). It's really hit or miss. I found myself at times wanting to hear the story being told, other times I'm like clicking to get them to shut up.

The game world-  At times it can be visually stunning, from a distance, then you move up close to some buildings and notice how drab they look with really low quality textures that look as good as a crappy Java game from 15 years ago with no real shadowing. Even with all settings on ulta, nothing looks super impressive. Where's my Ultra? Again, I blame Hero Engine for this.

Menu navigation-Built for game pads, clunky AF, nuff said.
-Actually it's not enough, the first item on the menu wants to sell you loot crates, wtf, I can't tell you how many times I accidentally brought out that stupid swindler, maniacally flipping though his card deck like some back-alley NYC card hustler staring at you like he's gonna take you for all you are worth. All I was trying to do was get to something else.

The UI (or lack of)- This has the worst customization of any MMO I have ever played, and I have played a lot of MMOs. Something as simple as adding pots to your hot bar is major fail.  It should really be as easy as open inventory-drag-drop. But no, you must open inventory, press Q to bring up a radial run you mouse around the radial to find the slot you want, then drag and drop, again built for game pads.

Bugged quest spawns- This is hella annoying, and it's sad this issues still persist with some of the quests. I like being able to to run from one end of the map to other doing quests along the way, when one is broken it screws up my mapping flow.

No player market- Not a huge deal, but man I wish I could sell some crap I have cluttering up my inventory to other players who will over pay for it Vs selling it to a fence or turning it to crafting scrap.

Crafting- Not as as exciting as it could be, and considering how crafting is such a snooze fest for most people in MMOs, that says a lot. 

To be fair  I want to like this game, I feel like I need to like it; and I feel bad I have so many issues with it.  I will admit to an extent I find myself enjoying it from time to time, though that time is not right now. Maybe  it's because I have other games I would rather be playing, I don't know. Everyone talks up this game so highly, it must be good, or are you all just ignoring the obvious?

What do you guys like about the game? What Am I missing here?

Edit: I'm still not ready to give up on this game yet. Beyond some of the issues I have, most have never stopped me from enjoying an MMO before. I'm thinking it might be the class I'm playing that kills the combat for me. I usually like ranged DPS with the ability to finish off melee mobs up close of the move in on me. Thinking some type of caster tank. Does anyone have any advice on what class combinations to play? I've been playing a Nightblade with As/shadow but it just feels lackluster.

2nd Edit: I am currently giving this game another go, thanks for the feedback.

SWG Bloodfin vet
Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

Post edited by Tiller on
PhryKellerSiugHarikenjunzo316Scorchien[Deleted User]AlpiusTruvidien88Gilcroixand 15 others.

Comments

• TsiyaTsiya Member UncommonPosts: 280
    I've tried so many times to like the game myself. After an hour or so I log out and it'll be another 5-6 months before I try again for another hour. Just doesn't click with me.
    Gorwejunzo316[Deleted User]AlpiusAlomarSteelhelmBetaguyHarikenkrevraViper482and 3 others.

• SirAgravaineSirAgravaine Member RarePosts: 520
    It is basically a scaled down, blander, and otherwise less-inspiring version of the Elder Scrolls universe. I found it hard to keep playing as well. 

I think the main issue is that it all seems so contrived, or perhaps derived is a better word.
    GorwePhrySiugSignexMardukkHarikenjunzo316MidPrincessAlpiusTheScavengerand 5 others.
  • GaladournGaladourn Member RarePosts: 1,813
    fun.
  • WarWitchWarWitch Member UncommonPosts: 351
    I tryed several times but it feels clunky. Then I log back into gw2 wvw or even D3.

postlarvalgunklacker
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    I'd say its more of a co-op single player game than an actually mmorpg. By that I mean, yes you can see players and do stuff together but honestly there's nothing all the serious about the game. There's "hard" content, but honestly you can get lower grades of stuff and just upgrade them without having to set foot in any real challenging content to get them. So if you want to just explore and get some story, its pretty good for that, and the skill development is a lot more so than most mmorpgs on the market today, but I dont think its really a title to be taken seriously.
    Izork
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    As a fan of the Elder Scrolls series of games, ESO is not the game i was looking for, while i could go on about how dated some of the graphics look these days and how basic the character models seem, that could have been overlooked if the gameplay itself was all that good, trouble is its a different type of game masquerading as an Elder Scrolls game where the Elder Scrolls 'appearance' is superficial at best, the races in the game are joined into factions that don't really make any sense and the classes available are somewhat bizarre in their own right and not really in keeping with Elder Scrolls at all, the result is more akin to the results of hammering a square peg into a round hole, the result being a game that not only doesn't scatch the MMO itch, but doesn't  scratch the Elder Scrolls itch either. :/
  • BruceYeeBruceYee Member EpicPosts: 2,556
    The reasons I like ESO as my casual non-main game is simply because I like ES lore and playing as the different races. I tried playing it as my main game but started burning out due to the repetitive activities required to up your CP up to 690. Instead of completely burning out on it I decided to make it my 2nd, 3rd or 4th game I play. I play a lot more Elder Scrolls Legends than I do ESO though.
  • WaanWaan Member UncommonPosts: 105
    While Cyrodiil can definitely be fun, the rest of the game is just so... bland

I don't think it's a bad game and I can understand why others like it. But, yeah.
  • YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 3,098
    Although I think ESO is the best mmo on the market atm, I don't disagree with a lot of your analysis above. But here is my take on some of your points:

Combat: Generally speaking overland pve is a cakewalk, but you can use it to practice how to fight. Once you start using the block/bash mechanics, cc, buffs, burst and aoe its a lot more interesting. I find the game really shines in small-scale group based pvp combat; movement/positioning and class/build synergies really come to the fore in this setting, resulting in some of the most exciting moments in any game I've played.

The map/mini-map/ui: They didn't design it like that to "be cool", its an elder scrolls game. Some people really like the added immersion that brings, but if you don't there are some good add ons to make it more like WoW. Agree with you about the crown crate button, same thing happens to me all the time.

Stories: There are some good ones, but I always hated that putting out fires quest- that's an Aldmeri Dominion quest right? I don't play mmos for story (single player rpgs do it so much better), but the DLC quests seem much better/more focused from what I have played. Overall the quests/stories seemed good for an mmo, but the usual mmo snorefest when compared to a good rpg.

Player market: There are player run trading guilds in major cities and elsewhere. You have to be a member of a trading guild to sell stuff, but you can buy from any of them.

Crafting: Not sure why you find that boring, I think its the best crafting system out of the mmos I have played. There is an amazing amount of customization, both in terms of what weapons/armour look like and the abilities you can put on them. Its not particularly grindy and is valuable from level 1 right through to end game. All other mmo crafting is crap in comparison (although I haven't played every mmo so maybe there are some good ones, but I think I have played every major mmo in the last 10 years or so).

If you want some ideas for addons or whatever let me know.

[Deleted User]MadFrenchie
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    edited April 2018
    There are obviously several reasons why people play their particular games but i been saying for a while that most are really bad mmorpg game designs.MOST look like single player games with a login screen and the only grouping is within instances.MOST of the games are nothing more than levels and fetch me errands tossing in those same instances for loot again ...sad.

However i have seen a lot of complaints over the years and most to me at least are unjust or trivial or on point as well.Dodging is just dumb for a mmorpg,now just imagine you have an alliance and tank starts dodging around and it is targeting for your healer,,yeah good luck.As well dodging is ALWAYS somersaults and looks retarded.

Hotbars and UI:Well i heard the complaints in FFXI for years but were WRONG,the UI was made for consoles but i played on PC and found the keypad to be incredibly perfect for menus so yeah their complaints were just wrong.

Combat:This is a totally objective area of discussion,MANY like tab /manual aim or action combat while others like tactical or just thinking.However in reality 99% are ONLY doing combat for levels and loot and never just because it is fun and i know this for fact seeing what i have seen and how players ignore content to instead chase loot in instances.

To me TESO is just drab,my hunch is the IP/Lore is what draws people in and not so much the game but i am only guessing as i never spent enough time to talk to people in the game.
    Final comment,a lot of your complaints also rival WOW and guess what,the most played mmorpg out there,so yeah people seem to have very low standards but appear to be aiming for popularity and lore/IP.I mean i could write a novel on the amount of times i heard streamers feel the need to mention their "main" in Wow,it is like some cult they feel proud to be a part of even though it plays like f2p Asian games.So yeah point is that you are wondering what you are not seeing and that is because what you see is what the game is ....not that good.
    BananaSouppostlarval

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• shassellshassell Member UncommonPosts: 105
    Clunky and boring. Had the life sucked out of it by poorly implemented level scaling. Now there is no sense of progression , no point in levelling, just no point in playing really...
    SignexpostlarvalGorweDeadSpock
  • DenambrenDenambren Member UncommonPosts: 399
    The combat and the animations in this game are on the same level as solo dev indie RPGs sold for 2.99$ on Steam. I have never been able to wrap my mind around how this game wasn't laughed out of business in the first few months of release.
    junzo316postlarval
  • HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680
    It is basically a scaled down, blander, and otherwise less-inspiring version of the Elder Scrolls universe. I found it hard to keep playing as well. 

I think the main issue is that it all seems so contrived, or perhaps derived is a better word.
    Yeah people here get mad when you say is a bad elder scrolls game. The OP's list is pretty spot on to me.
  • KalebGraysonKalebGrayson Member RarePosts: 430
    Wow, I can't believe I'm the only one in this thread so far that likes this game.  To each their own I guess.  I come from WoW, so the graphics seem SO much better.  I've not played a lot, and it's not my main MMO, but I like running around, exploring, and doing the quests.  It's serving as my non-social game.  I kinda like doing things on my own in ESO.
  • MidPrincessMidPrincess Member UncommonPosts: 89
    I played during the CB for about half a day, and that's all I needed.  As much as I dearly love the Elder Scrolls franchise, this game just didn't cut it for me.  The combat animations are enough to drive a girl to drink (and I already drink).
    Fangrim
  • junzo316junzo316 Member UncommonPosts: 1,712
    I can't seem to get into this game either.  I've really tried, but something is lacking.   I then read all the critiques of the OP and seemed to agree with ALL of them.  Apparently, there are many things lacking.  I still go back and try every three months or so...reload, play for a week, then delete.
  • AbimorAbimor Member RarePosts: 874
    edited April 2018
    I see the list by the OP'S  and for him all of those things may be true. I played at launch thought it was terrible came back after the first chapter and have really enjoyed the game. I don't know what to say i like it I have fun in it for me I see it as a long term home.
  • AbimorAbimor Member RarePosts: 874
    One other thing I will say is that the lack of mini map and the problems with the ui have mods that you can download and they work I have a mini map that shows me a ton of detail and I dont use the stock ui.
  • dllddlld Member UncommonPosts: 615
    I tried to like it as well (if nothing else but to get my moneys worth at launch) but, yeah it just feels.. clunky, stale bland I don't know what other words I could throw. It doesn't help I guess that the IP itself really doesn't do much for me while I enjoyed skyrim and to an extent oblivion, it was due to the overall sandbox game play, the fallout's were a thousand times more interesting despite me favouring medieval fantasy in general.
  • YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 3,098
    edited April 2018
    Wow, I can't believe I'm the only one in this thread so far that likes this game.  To each their own I guess.  I come from WoW, so the graphics seem SO much better.  I've not played a lot, and it's not my main MMO, but I like running around, exploring, and doing the quests.  It's serving as my non-social game.  I kinda like doing things on my own in ESO.
    Not the only one, I wrote a long post going through each of the OP's points from the perspective of someone who loves the game. I don't think people bother to read longer posts though.

I should probably just stick to one liners and insults, seems to be the most effective.
  • NyghthowlerNyghthowler Member UncommonPosts: 392
    I've been playing since closed Beta. I enjoy the game. Either you like it or you don't, just like any other game on the market.
    But hopefully @OP you feel vindicated now that you've come here and made a post about it and have been consoled by all the other posters who don't like TESO.
    bcbullyIselinpostlarvalGolelornk61977
  • cmacqcmacq Member UncommonPosts: 331
    Whew! Thought I was the only one. I bought it a while back and have tried it several times. I just can't get into it and wonder what others see. I concluded maybe I'm just tired of the whole MMO thing in general........
  • goboygogoboygo Member RarePosts: 2,141
    Agreed Archer is basically non existent now in this game and they dont even allow you knock an arrow anymore.  Its auto shoot once you click the mouse. This game is drifting farther and farther from anything resembling  an Elder Scrolls game.
    jeffreyebmdIselin
  • esc-joconnoresc-joconnor Member RarePosts: 1,097
    edited April 2018
    I was just surprised when playing again recently how fast I moved in combat. Didn't have any special power active, new character, unless someone buffed me. I felt like Lucio in Speed Boost mode.
    Post edited by esc-joconnor on
    jeffreyebmdNeonShadow
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002
    edited April 2018
    Tiller said:

What do you guys like about the game? What Am I missing here?

I've never liked the combat, it feels unnecessarily busy to me with my switching back and forth between both bars. I agree, fighting with a bow feels awful. A friend of mine only plays Elder Scrolls video games. Once he's played one for a bout 6 months to a year that's it until the next one comes out.

I "was" going to buy him a copy but then realized he favors the bow and would absolutely hate how this game utilizes it.

The clothing is a bit painted on but I suspect that has more to do with how the avatars "wear" whatever they have and it's probably engineered for pvp/having a lot of characters on screen.

I actually like the map, I'm not really for a lot of crap on a map unless I put it there. I like Project Gorgon's map in that regard.

I'm never for a mini-map, should be abolished.

The stories range of "ok" to really good, the acting isn't that bad and if you are having issues it probably has more to do with the actor "acting" one way and the npc not doing what the actor was actually doing. It's almost like over-dubbing.

I actually like the crafting in this game so far as it's the only game I've ever gotten so far with crafting. Most games I say "no".

For me, I have found that because the game is so quest heavy it's more enjoyable to just wander and see what areas I find/can explore. I'll do some quests and have no problem with the main quests but I find the single player games far more superior as far as exploration whereas this game feels more "about" finding quests.

If you can play it more on your own terms and forgive it a bit It's pretty good to "ok".

Not sure what it says about me or the game that the other night I loaded up Elder Scrolls Online, got to the character screen, looked over the characters and then shut it down and went back to Black Desert.
    jeffreyebmdBananaSoup
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo