Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Citizen & SQ4 Roadmap (updated April 8th)

Comments

• BabuinixBabuinix Member EpicPosts: 4,259
    If CIG had a publisher and 50Million dollars up front in 2012 they could ofc planned the development of the game in a different way and probably there would be a game by now.

But they wouldn't have been capable of putting seamless planetary landings, proper space legs, the amount of ships we have now, a cast made of Hollywood stars with this graphical quality and fidelity.

We the backers wanted this, we don't mind the wait, people are not forced to back star citizen much less follow it's development every day...

Space genre and mmorpg fps genre have been a desert of innovation and in dire need of a boost, that combined makes Star Citize highly appealing for many many games.

Nobody wants another "a mile wide and a inch deep" like nomansky or elite trust me lol

• KefoKefo Member EpicPosts: 4,229
    Babuinix said:
    If CIG had a publisher and 50Million dollars up front in 2012 they could ofc planned the development of the game in a different way and probably there would be a game by now.

But they wouldn't have been capable of putting seamless planetary landings, proper space legs, the amount of ships we have now, a cast made of Hollywood stars with this graphical quality and fidelity.

We the backers wanted this, we don't mind the wait, people are not forced to back star citizen much less follow it's development every day...

Space genre and mmorpg fps genre have been a desert of innovation and in dire need of a boost, that combined makes Star Citize highly appealing for many many games.

Nobody wants another "a mile wide and a inch deep" like nomansky or elite trust me lol

And yet when backers want their money back because they didn’t want exactly what you just said then they can get attacked for trying to harm the project and wanting money back that doesn’t belong to them anymore. Or are told outright by the devs too bad you aren’t entitled to a refund which is kinda forcing them to stay.
    It's really their problem if they didn't measured the risk of their decision when backing a crowdfunding project lol

They backed because they wanted, nobody forced them to. If they don't have the awareness or intelligence to understand what they are getting into they shouldn't get a free card to exit at all costs.

If you can't handle taking risks you're better off staying far far away from anything crowdfunded.
    Stay on the sidelines, we have enough ignorant e-crybabying going on for a 42 lifetimes lol 

• FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    How many Star Citizen developers does it take to screw in a light bulb?

1.1, 1.2, 1.3, 1.4, 1.5, 1.6, 1.x, ...

I'll be here all week. Enjoy your thread.  :D 
    sgelErillion
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • sgelsgel Member EpicPosts: 2,197
    Yeah stop crying for your money back crybabies.
    If you can't handle getting lied to then you shouldn't have given CIG any money.
    "lol"

Babuinix

..Cake..

" Mistakes are a part of being human. Appreciate your mistakes for what they are: precious life lessons that can only be learned the hard way. "

;)

• MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,765
    edited April 2018
    From the: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/engineering/16468-Alpha-32-Feature-Survey

First Tier of Guilds & Associations

We are going to create member associations within the Universe that give players different benefits. These will ultimately include the Bounty Hunter’s Guild, Merchant’s Guild, etc., but there will also be member-based services, themed to fit different player types. For example, the United Wayfarers Club provides repair and refuel assistance for pilots broken down in space and also grants discounts for these services at CryAstro.

Is quite the part that is most interesting on the progression and development within the game, the whole concept of reputation I had been saying I saw as the direction they would likely take is showing itself represented in the terms of sorts "factions" you gain reputation with, at a trade-off progression and achievement of things within that guild, likely going to be what eventually what would be eventually allow players to go through late-game and the most rewarding type of content.

And mostly why I always found silly that "tunnel-vision" of some people into endlessly stating SC is about buying big ships to "progress", like we're all goin to be flying our own personal Bengal carriers everywhere. gg :D 

Babuinix
  • Turrican187Turrican187 Member UncommonPosts: 787
    Babuinix said:
    It's normal for a game to provide bad performance/experience while it's being actively developed, that's why optimization and polishing the player experience is usually made in the end of the development cycle.
    [...]
    Basically you should always optimize, optimization is not something you can do as an afterthought.
    Let's say your physics needs to be tuned - this would have an impact on everything else in your game and will break other vital systems during the process.

Same with player experience, this is something you have to do from day 1.

Optimization and player experience should be taken care of in every iteration you are doing.

If your game isn't fun there is no need to develop it.

When you have cake, it is not the cake that creates the most magnificent of experiences, but it is the emotions attached to it.
    The cake is a lie.

edited April 2018
    Babuinix said:
    It's normal for a game to provide bad performance/experience while it's being actively developed, that's why optimization and polishing the player experience is usually made in the end of the development cycle.
    [...]
    Basically you should always optimize, optimization is not something you can do as an afterthought.
    Let's say your physics needs to be tuned - this would have an impact on everything else in your game and will break other vital systems during the process.

Optimization and player experience should be taken care of in every iteration you are doing.

That's so wrong... I cant even...it's like saying that a house should be habitable and cozy whille it's being built lol
    Post edited by Babuinix on
  • rpmcmurphyrpmcmurphy Member EpicPosts: 3,502
    edited April 2018
    Babuinix said:
    That's so wrong... I cant even...it's like saying that a house should be habitable and cozy whille it's being built lol

Ironically the house analogy is quite often used in a negative way when describing SC's development, ie designing everything to go in the house when you don't even have measurements for rooms.
  • ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,295
    Babuinix said:

Ironically the house analogy is quite often used in a negative way when describing SC's development, ie designing everything to go in the house when you don't even have measurements for rooms.
    The manufacturers of furniture seem to have no problem not knowing the measurements for rooms ....  works fine nonetheless. People still like and use furniture with great success ;-)

Have fun
    Well that's because CIG focus is more than just building the house structures but also fill it with as much meaningfull and engaging content possible.

If you want a game who focused just on building the largest house without caring about the furniture you already have nomansky and elite lol
    edited April 2018

The Optimization that SC has to be better than a dev project of this scale, for the very simple reason they have to maintain a live environment (a constantly persistent one at that), it has requirements on performance that otherwise they wouldn't work on until near release.

As with this as with any other game that has the same reality.

But don't forget, as there is a basic optimization work that is always done, putting too much time on that early on reminds me of that famous quote: "Premature optimization is the root of all evil."

https://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Donald_Knuth
    https://stackify.com/premature-optimization-evil/ )
    edited April 2018
    Due to the nature of it's crowdfunded model, the sheer ammount of features and the complexity that goes around putting them working seamlessly toguether, things like player experience /optimization whille they do happen they are not the priority until CIG actually adds all the features/systems they want.

• Turrican187Turrican187 Member UncommonPosts: 787
    Babuinix said:
    Babuinix said:
    [...]

House analogies? Really?
    You are starting to build a house on top of a foundation that is not optimised.
    And with CIG it is not a house it's a skyscraper, the biggest one humankind has ever seen and you want to optimize the parking deck after 100s of stories are on top of you.

I guess you don't understand game house development.

When you have cake, it is not the cake that creates the most magnificent of experiences, but it is the emotions attached to it.
    The cake is a lie.

House analogies? Really?
    You are starting to build a house on top of a foundation that is not optimised.
    And with CIG it is not a house it's a skyscraper, the biggest one humankind has ever seen and you want to optimize the parking deck after 100s of stories are on top of you.

I guess you don't understand game house development.

You fortify the parking deck and strengthen the pillars the skyscraper rests on. Then you can optimize as much as you want. And make the whole construction flexible and durable enough to withstand any earthquake.

If the foundation turns out to be wobbly (which is NOT the case in this project), i can always inject as much rebar and concrete as needed to make it rock solid for the next half millenium. 

But best of all ... i can rest THIS skyscraper on the rock solid supporter base. That is as supportive and stable as it can get. ;-)

Have fun
  • DurzaxDurzax Member UncommonPosts: 87

Looks like a great deal of business acumen and astute money use frugality.
    edited April 2018

edited April 2018

edited April 2018
  • VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,882
    edited April 2018
    EDIT: Message deleted /EDIT

Apologies, not sure how that happened in the first fucking place, was most certainly not my intention.

Interesting third grafic. Can you link the source ? I know the two others.

Have fun
    The 3rd graphic yeah not sure the source but yeah people have this weird idea that the majority of a development team is normally programmers, but nope, it's usually one army of artists, and designers.
    Erillion said:
    Interesting third grafic. Can you link the source ? I know the two others.

Have fun

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1&biw=1310&bih=684&tbm=isch&sa=1&ei=kUPFWtu7KePGjwSUsKzoBA&q=game+development+studio+&oq=game+development+studio+&gs_l=psy-ab.3..0j0i30k1j0i24k1l5.57398.57972.0.68098.4.4.0.0.0.0.128.406.1j3.4.0....0...1c.1.64.psy-ab..0.2.228...0i13k1.0.64370Ao9s40#imgrc=_

The google search I did with the images parameter selected. Scrolled down to a little over 1/2 the resulting page then saved as. So not sure if the true source for it.