Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What is considered the best mmorpg as of 2018 April 04/04

HothloveHothlove Member UncommonPosts: 126
Excuse moi, what would be considered the best mmorpg right here and now ? 

I'm literally talking about newer ones later than 2013, not ones in open beta/early access. 

One with really fresh and modern graphics. Also a really good and original gameplay, whatever the cost of the game, not oldschool here like albion and the likes of repopulation. The game can be sandbox, hybrid, theme - asian sensation or just western or from anywhere in the world.. 

The game must be popular, full of players and of course most of all fun !

The game should just be able to fit into the tag MMORPG (not mmofps/mmomoba/mmorts/mmo). So that rules out games like diablo and it's clones.

Also the game has to be 3d fully dimensional.

So what's your pick these days ? Choose only one and explain why . Thx in advance for your effort :p

Comments

• SiveriaSiveria Member UncommonPosts: 1,419
    None, because mmorpgs today do not exist, they are all piss-poorly made single player games. Until a game forces you to team up due to diffculty of the enemies etc, its not a mmorpg. I miss old school FF11 back when lv cap was 75, stuff was hard (compared to the joke todays mmorpgs are), it brought people together, the 1 char system with all jobs was brilliant because it kept trolls in line, as stuff took sometimes alot of time to do in ff11, and if you were an arse people would find out and bascally not let you into their parties/do stuff with you.

To me FF11 was the last real mmorpg that existed when it was a lv 75 cap, and now a days its just another piss-poor single player game because they completly changed the game for casuals.
    noodles6966Jixen9TheScavenger

Being a pessimist is a win-win pattern of thinking. If you're a pessimist (I'll admit that I am!) you're either:

A. Proven right (if something bad happens)

or

B. Pleasantly surprised (if something good happens)

Either way, you can't lose! Try it out sometime!

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
    It all depends on the person.

Personally? I think the best MMORPG's right now are ESO, FFXIV, and GW2. 

Based on your criteria only ESO really fits into that mold. 

It's fun, extremely populated, and only requires you to buy whatever content you want to play. 

BDO is also rather fun but you have to be into that type of grind, or that type of PvP, or that type of cash shop system.

It's all up to the user. A lot of people are going to have different opinions, but the top most populated MMO's right now are WoW, FFXIV, ESO, GW2, EvE, Runescape, and BDO. 
    MadFrenchieSinsaiMrMelGibson
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    Most populated and most popular are generally 2 words I despise when it comes to MMOs...... I have no interest in games for the masses.
    Kyleran
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    I'm getting by on my memories for now.
    MadFrenchieKyleran

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• fs23otmfs23otm Member RarePosts: 506
    MMO's play currently

EQ - TLP
    Rift: Prime

• HothloveHothlove Member UncommonPosts: 126
    So it seems we have Arche Age, Black Desert online and Elder Scrolls Online so far in the top of newer MMORPGs ( Newer than 2013 ).

Arche Age - from what is looks like on their page is a PvP oriented Hybrid Sandbox with some Sailing Combat. The complaints are that is a Pay 2 Win game and the PvP can be harsh otherwise, by the looks of it - the graphics looks pretty nice.

Elder Scrolls Online - I know a little, is one of those story heavy game, although not alot cut scenes, there is an extreme overdosage of voices acting, as seen in SWWTOR which poster #1 complaints to be a singleplayer experience. I've played the game and and it's like, as you go forth in the world, there seems to be a new quest all over the place, then you have to listen to some NPC ( with a bad accent sometimes..) that gives you a new story. The game looks pretty decent on PC, and the combat is way more simple than WoW, though the game is fun the first couple of days, the leveling (not at launch) seems painfully slow - but then again not so many levels in this gam to max is achieved.

BDO - here is a game that is praised from it's different combat system and the game is 100% open world sandbox. No dungeons or battlegrounds. You grind but from what I've gathered you can kill a bow, usually in one single blow, usually you kill 20 mobs in a row, pick up loot and reapeat until your reach the higher levels, then you join a guild, fight for territories in PvP but there seems to be more content added than just that. In my eyes as an older gamer I would think this game is aimed at a teenage audience but of course older gamers can join too, but by the looks of it most characters a girls ( gender locked classes ), in this game the it's one of those bright games, shiny and flashy graphics, but the problem with this game is really just that, you might get the feeling you are too old if your older than a certain age, though I've seen the character creation which is very detailed, you can twist and turn your character from young to old, from pretty to really terrifing, landscapes dont' really look like a desert, more like something from the rural districts Spain or France but also has some showy areas.

There is just one more game we might add too which could just slip in to this 'contest' Which is Skyforge but this game is one of those which reminds me of - really not an MMORPG haha.
  • VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    WoW

There are other games which do individual areas of gameplay better, but WoW gives you the best overall package.

• KonfessKonfess Member RarePosts: 1,667
    Please see Top 10 Most Played MMORPGs in 2018 - What MMOs You SHOULD Be Playing!?! Their list is:
    • The Elder Scrolls Online
    • Guild Wars 2 Black Desert Online
    • Eve Online
    • Blade and Soul
    • Secret World Legends
    • RuneScape
    • Tera
    • Final Fantasy XIV
    • World of Warcraft
    I would add:
    • SW The Old Republic
    • Star Trek Online

Pardon any spelling errors
    Konfess your cyns and some maybe forgiven
    Boy: Why can't I talk to Him?
    Mom: We don't talk to Priests.
    As if it could exist, without being payed for.
    F2P means you get what you paid for. Pay nothing, get nothing.
    Even telemarketers wouldn't think that.
    It costs money to play.  Therefore P2W.

• sumdumguy1sumdumguy1 Member RarePosts: 1,373
    Konfess said:
    Please see Top 10 Most Played MMORPGs in 2018 - What MMOs You SHOULD Be Playing!?! Their list is:
    • The Elder Scrolls Online
    • Guild Wars 2 Black Desert Online
    • Eve Online
    • Blade and Soul
    • Secret World Legends
    • RuneScape
    • Tera
    • Final Fantasy XIV
    • World of Warcraft
    I would add:
    • SW The Old Republic
    • Star Trek Online
    Pretty good list, but Star Trek Online belongs on a worst games list.  
    JeffSpicoliHuntrezzpsychosiz1orionblade11PhaserlightPr3sid3ntSkr00bGrunt350
  • psychosiz1psychosiz1 Member UncommonPosts: 200
    I would go with WOW, FF14, TSW, GW2 and SWTOR.  I also agree that STO does not belong on any best game list.  Its a horrible game.

orionblade11MrMelGibson
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Of all the MMOs I play, I always come back to GW2 the most. Fun to play, lots of adventure and exploration and stories.
    orionblade11maskedweaselMrMelGibson

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,363
    none but on top of the list WoW , FFXIV , GW2 , TESO and thats it ...there are other "good" mmorpgs , but f2p with cash shop = nono
    Of all the MMOs I play, I always come back to GW2 the most. Fun to play, lots of adventure and exploration and stories.
    How do you get into GW2 after the base game. I hit 80 and I've been trying to push through the HOT expansion content and I just find it extremely boring. It's probably because of the design of the area, it feels extremely convoluted and the mastery system is explained pretty poorly. I actually bought POF because I thought I could get back into the game but I just hate HOT I guess. 
    orionblade11MrMelGibson
  • noodles6966noodles6966 Member UncommonPosts: 63
    Siveria said:
    None, because mmorpgs today do not exist, they are all piss-poorly made single player games. Until a game forces you to team up due to diffculty of the enemies etc, its not a mmorpg. I miss old school FF11 back when lv cap was 75, stuff was hard (compared to the joke todays mmorpgs are), it brought people together, the 1 char system with all jobs was brilliant because it kept trolls in line, as stuff took sometimes alot of time to do in ff11, and if you were an arse people would find out and bascally not let you into their parties/do stuff with you.

To me FF11 was the last real mmorpg that existed when it was a lv 75 cap, and now a days its just another piss-poor single player game because they completly changed the game for casuals.
    You hit the nail on the head. The game was difficult,no hand holding,you had to wiki all the quests and job quests and everything took time to do and sometimes a group. The parties for exp was so much fun,watching a ranger pull too many mobs in the Dunes and see parties scatter and run for their lives,then the massive wipes was priceless and funny. Hunting NMs was awesome and required patience and skill. No game today can equal FFXI,period. Those days are gone. All games today are go from quest hub to quest hub,race to lvl cap,do end game content. My suggestion is wait for Pantheon-Rise of the Fallen
  • noodles6966noodles6966 Member UncommonPosts: 63
    My list would be

FFXIV
    Black Desert Online
    WOW
    Blade and Soul
    Tera
    Guild Wars 2
    Pantheon Rise of the Fallen- still in Alpha
    Bless Online- coming to Steam in May
  • orionblade11orionblade11 Member CommonPosts: 5
    I think the secret world deserves some love.  Maybe not the best mmo, but they did something different and it was lots of fun.  I would also mention Guild Wars 2, Final Fantasy 14, Star Wars The Old Republic, Diablo 3 and Final Fantasy 11.
    MrMelGibson
  • Sid_ViciousSid_Vicious Member RarePosts: 2,177
    I think the best game that is out right now is Darkfall New Dawn or maybe Star Trek Online if you haven't played it yet and can only afford to play a free to play game. DND is only like 10$ though I think? I've played all the other ones expect for Star Wars and Black Desert Online because of the gameplay videos I had watched and the themepark style I am kind of sick of. If you haven't played Darkfall before its honestly stupid not to play it now unless its not your cup of tea.
    Phaserlightorionblade11

NEWS FLASH! "A bank was robbed the other day and a man opened fire on the customers being held hostage. One customer zig-zag sprinted until he found cover. When questioned later he explained that he was a hardcore gamer and knew just what to do!" Download my music for free! I release several albums per month as part of project "Thee Untitled" . .. some video game music remixes and cover songs done with instruments in there as well! http://theeuntitled.bandcamp.com/ Check out my roleplaying blog, collection of fictional short stories, and fantasy series... updated on a blog for now until I am finished! https://childrenfromtheheavensbelow.blogspot.com/ Watch me game on occasion or make music... https://www.twitch.tv/spoontheeuntitled and subscribe! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUvqULn678VrF3OasgnbsyA

I think the best game that is out right now is Darkfall New Dawn or maybe Star Trek Online if you haven't played it yet and can only afford to play a free to play game. DND is only like 10$ though I think? I've played all the other ones expect for Star Wars and Black Desert Online because of the gameplay videos I had watched and the themepark style I am kind of sick of. If you haven't played Darkfall before its honestly stupid not to play it now unless its not your cup of tea.
    Other than the severe lack of population. I went to go play ND about two weeks ago and ran across the entire world to get to my clan city and ran into 0 players. I saw a total of 2 in the human starting area in the around 10 hours I played there over two days, and encountered 1 outside of it when I ventured out for a bit one time prior to the clan city run. If the population comes back I completely agree with your statement.
    Phaserlight
  • WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,363
    Siveria said:

You hit the nail on the head. The game was difficult,no hand holding,you had to wiki all the quests and job quests and everything took time to do and sometimes a group. The parties for exp was so much fun,watching a ranger pull too many mobs in the Dunes and see parties scatter and run for their lives,then the massive wipes was priceless and funny. Hunting NMs was awesome and required patience and skill. No game today can equal FFXI,period. Those days are gone. All games today are go from quest hub to quest hub,race to lvl cap,do end game content. My suggestion is wait for Pantheon-Rise of the Fallen
    i gree with everything but "hunting NM" it was anything but awesome , camping for hours only to be outclimed by a bot? no thanks , popable NMs however....and i while i loved doing parties and what not , needing help for tons of things was frustrating ,AF , Limit breaks should have been a test of skill not bring a lvl 75 and let him solo all for u
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Siveria said:

HERE HERE !!  i Second that ,and no i am not a fanbois of ANY game,i simply know what are well designed games as well knowing and understanding that EVERY game has flaws.

Yes Uo and EQ did it decent but imo FFXI blows the doors off those games and is imo the best mmorpg ever as stated by the level 75 cap,after that it did begin to go downhill but having said that added a lot of cool stuff after as well.

BEST of incoming or newer,also as stated NONE,there is a very slim possibility Pantheon will be good but i guarantee won't be great .

Before you think i am just so old ranter,there is actual ya REASON why the games are designed so poorly "as a mmorpg"now a days.The FIRST iterations of were passionate game designs,now everything caters to a NON mmo crowd,soloing and easy gratification,easy game play VERY little depth.
    This downward spiral began with Wow and continues because that is what devs see as a possible money window of opportunity.
    MrMelGibson

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,072
    Clearly... the answer is Vendetta Online.

It launched in 2004, but the most recent update was March 9th of this year and the one before that was March 6th and the one before that Feb 10th so... I guess that counts?

I'm not sure what other kinds of responses you were expecting on a gaming forum besides personal experiences, and VO and WoW are the only 2 MMOs I have more than 6 hours experience with.

Otherwise, you'll have to go with some blogger's list 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    How do you get into GW2 after the base game. I hit 80 and I've been trying to push through the HOT expansion content and I just find it extremely boring. It's probably because of the design of the area, it feels extremely convoluted and the mastery system is explained pretty poorly. I actually bought POF because I thought I could get back into the game but I just hate HOT I guess. 
    I didn't like HoT and grind through it just to get the class advances.  PoF was a little better and the mounts are totally worth it IMO.  Just about all my time is spent in the original areas and following the stories.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,178
    I didn't like HoT and grind through it just to get the class advances.  PoF was a little better and the mounts are totally worth it IMO.  Just about all my time is spent in the original areas and following the stories.
    Gross. Stories.  But yeah HoT was not very fun, and I still don't like the glider, but I'm happy with my gryphon. With it, I now want to go back and do world completion again on the few characters I have left to do it on. 

I would go with WOW, FF14, TSW, GW2 and SWTOR.  I also agree that STO does not belong on any best game list.  Its a horrible game.

Might as well just stick with wow, as those other games are just wow in a diffrent skin for the most part. Especally FF14 and swtor.

Being a pessimist is a win-win pattern of thinking. If you're a pessimist (I'll admit that I am!) you're either:

or

edited April 2018
    Siveria said:

Glad to see I am not the only one who apprecated actual mmorpgs. Mmorpg's used to be about the journey as much as they were the endgame, but WoW changed that and ruined the genre, by making the leveling process completly trivial, and focusing on pointless endgame raids for gear you have no more use for. I mean seriously, what is the point to the raids? what can you use the gear for after you spend sometimes months to get it? Drawing a blank are you? yeah.. thats the problem with mmo's after wow. Sure you can kill the big raid bosses for gear, but there is little actual point, its not like the stories are any good, and about all you can use the gear for is farming, as there is nothing else to use it for, in most of todays mmo's you can't even use it for pvp as pvp gear has its own spechial statz. Intsed of raid gear being useable in pvp like it was in previous mmo's. If your not willing to spend the time to get the raid gear, you shouldn't have the right to complain about being underpowered in pvp. Making seperate pvp gear was one of the worst things to happen to mmorpgs and WoW started that crap. At least before, raid gear was worth it as it was also the best pvp gear, now a days? you can't even use it for that.

In FF11 gear mattered past level 20, there was a big diffrence between someone properly equipped and someone who wasn't even at level 20, you could notice it.

I've tried most of the mmo's after FF11 and honestly I get bored very quickly by how easy they are, and how brainless they are. Played some FF14 did a bit of endgame ish stuff in it, and I just facepalmed with how god aweful some of the players are, why are they so bad? its easy because most of the game has a diffculty rating of 0 out 10 like pretty much every mmo these days.

or