Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

disappointed

MMOman101MMOman101 Member UncommonPosts: 1,786
edited March 2018 in Rift
So I tried the Rift Prime experience and I am very disappointed.  I started about a week after it came out and was on a 2 week pass.  By the time my pass was up many people had already hit 50 and the queue to do lower level content was getting kind of long.  I made it to level 19 on two desperate characters.  maybe I should have just power leveled one character, but I wanted to try and enjoy a slower paced leveling and hopefully get to see a lot of the early content.  I am not sure why so many people raced up to the highest level, but they did.

I did not renew my subscription. I really wanted to enjoy the game at what I would consider a reasonable pace. 

Has anyone noticed the same thing? 

“It's unwise to pay too much, but it's worse to pay too little. When you pay too much, you lose a little money - that's all. When you pay too little, you sometimes lose everything, because the thing you bought was incapable of doing the thing it was bought to do. The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot - it can't be done. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is well to add something for the risk you run, and if you do that you will have enough to pay for something better.”

--John Ruskin

Post edited by MMOman101 on
Octagon7711

Comments

• danwest58danwest58 Member RarePosts: 2,012
    The problem is that is what this server was designed to be a race to the top.   This is why I stayed far away from it.    I would rather play Classic WOW or Ashes of Creation at this point.   I am tired of the race to a raid treadmill game.
    KyleranWraithoneOctagon7711
  • MMOman101MMOman101 Member UncommonPosts: 1,786
    danwest58 said:
    The problem is that is what this server was designed to be a race to the top.   This is why I stayed far away from it.    I would rather play Classic WOW or Ashes of Creation at this point.   I am tired of the race to a raid treadmill game.
    I did not follow the lead up to this and found out about it on this site.  How was it a designed as a race to the top.  From this site, not accurate of the gaming population as a whole, I felt that it was supposed to be a more "old school" grouping and slower path to the top. 

“It's unwise to pay too much, but it's worse to pay too little. When you pay too much, you lose a little money - that's all. When you pay too little, you sometimes lose everything, because the thing you bought was incapable of doing the thing it was bought to do. The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot - it can't be done. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is well to add something for the risk you run, and if you do that you will have enough to pay for something better.”

--John Ruskin

Read all this content and you will see that everything was designed around a fast pace.   The idea is for you to progress as fast as possible with this server.  Then shut the server down and start another progressive server.

https://www.trionworlds.com/rift/en/2018/01/18/2018-rift-on/

We plan to present RIFT at its roots as much as is possible to do, and look forward to sharing details over the coming weeks. The PRIME server will progress at a faster pace than the original launch and will eventually come to an end in spectacular fashion.

https://www.mmorpg.com/rift/news/producers-letter-introduces-rift-prime-a-subscription-based-progression-server-1000047108

Prime servers will progress through content at a more rapid pace than that of the original launch"dynamically matching characters to their current zone's level""dungeons dropping loot specific to your character's true level"profession caps available to a single characterparticipation awards that are unlocked across your account, even to characters on other servers
    Read more at https://www.mmorpg.com/rift/news/producers-letter-introduces-rift-prime-a-subscription-based-progression-server-1000047108#1GsqB0poAfVKfqOY.99

https://www.mmorpg.com/rift/columns/prime-server-qanda-wrap-report-1000012507

What are the chances of this server continuing?

“Non-Zero.” Being upfront from the beginning that this server is an experiment that depends 100% on participation. There is no end date, it does not exist BUT because of population the current transfer to live servers is being offered.

Read more at https://www.mmorpg.com/rift/columns/prime-server-qanda-wrap-report-1000012507#G0VPUQisgY5zvxEJ.99

Wraithone
    MMOman101 said:
    danwest58 said:
    I did not follow the lead up to this and found out about it on this site.  How was it a designed as a race to the top.  From this site, not accurate of the gaming population as a whole, I felt that it was supposed to be a more "old school" grouping and slower path to the top. 
    They tried to sell this as more old school but if you read the info on the game they were doing a bait and switch.

An old school game wouldnt have this.

Will LFG be available?

Yes

Will LFR be available?

Maybe, working on it but because of 20 man more work is needed

Read more at https://www.mmorpg.com/rift/columns/prime-server-qanda-wrap-report-1000012507#G0VPUQisgY5zvxEJ.99
    FrodoFragins
  • LeiloniLeiloni Member RarePosts: 1,266
    This hasn't been my experience at all. I started on Tuesday and have two characters about level 15-16 right now. There's still a ton of people in the first zone and I get the impression most of the playerbase is there. Lots of people questing near me, rifts and overall zone events get done easily, 1-29 chat is super busy, and while I haven't queued for any dungeons or PvP yet, from what I hear it pops quickly.

I'm not sure what has changed in the few weeks since you started but it's been great so far. And from what I'm seeing in chat from people, many are  using this as an old school server and not rushing hardcore to raid. A lot are taking their time and playing casually and a lot of guilds are advertising for casual people. Some are planning on doing endgame but most aren't rushing to get there and are taking a "when we get there" approach to it. I saw I think just one or two guilds advertising for rushing to the top type gameplay.
    Leiloni said:
    This hasn't been my experience at all. I started on Tuesday and have two characters about level 15-16 right now. There's still a ton of people in the first zone and I get the impression most of the playerbase is there. Lots of people questing near me, rifts and overall zone events get done easily, 1-29 chat is super busy, and while I haven't queued for any dungeons or PvP yet, from what I hear it pops quickly.

I'm not sure what has changed in the few weeks since you started but it's been great so far. And from what I'm seeing in chat from people, many are  using this as an old school server and not rushing hardcore to raid. A lot are taking their time and playing casually and a lot of guilds are advertising for casual people. Some are planning on doing endgame but most aren't rushing to get there and are taking a "when we get there" approach to it. I saw I think just one or two guilds advertising for rushing to the top type gameplay.
    I have not played in over a week.  I wonder if you are seeing a increase in players as some people create seconds one.

Also if you took two characters to ~16 in 3 days you are not playing what I would call casually. 

--John Ruskin

MMOman101 said:
    Leiloni said:

I have not played in over a week.  I wonder if you are seeing a increase in players as some people create seconds one.

Also if you took two characters to ~16 in 3 days you are not playing what I would call casually. 
    I live in the Northeast so we had a two-storm noreaster this week, so Tuesday I got out of work early and Wednesday I was home all day because the office was closed.

Try not to pre-judge people.
    Wraithone
  • ManestreamManestream Member UncommonPosts: 941
    Well i would have been there but both of my 60 day gametime cards got marked expired (even though they did not have any mention of an expiry date), spoke with support who said basically tuff they expired nothing we can do. So rift and defiance will be treated as F2P games for me from now on. Trion will not receieve any more money from me.

Whats better news is that the reports are not favouring the rift prime experiance and will probably end up with a big hoo haa when it close's at the end of the year/start of next year (as arranged and stated).
    Leiloni said:
    MMOman101 said:
    Leiloni said:

I live in the Northeast so we had a two-storm noreaster this week, so Tuesday I got out of work early and Wednesday I was home all day because the office was closed.

Try not to pre-judge people.
    I didn't place any judgment on you playing to level 16 in 3 days.  I just stated that is not what I would call casual.  Any offense you took, is all self inflicted and not in anything I wrote. 

--John Ruskin

• YhtillYhtill Member CommonPosts: 1
    The also just patched things a couple of days ago. Gave a major buff (3xs I believe) to quest XP. Where folks were falling way short when just doing quests, they often resorted to rift grinding or fast dungeon running. Burnout crept in fast. Now you can level up (easier) with quests now. I was surprised to see a lot of folks in the 30ish zones.

Also, it doesn't take very much effort to get to 16 even before the XP buff. Now its a couple hours.
    edited March 2018
    Torval said:
    I don't get what other people p/l to cap has to do with what you're doing and why that ruined the experience for you. That doesn't mean you have to do that. Most people aren't anywhere near there anyway.
    The OP may not have explicitly stated it, but it was implied.  it is getting hard to find groups for group content.  That is why it matters.  if i wanted to play solo it would not matter.  I saw the queue times growing and it was getting harder to get into dungeons.  The writing was on the wall that my leveling speed was slower and I would soon be left in the dust and have a very difficult time getting into group content, that was not Rifts. 

I am not even judging it as good or bad.  I am just stating that the game may not be for me.

--John Ruskin

• delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    I've been playing for several days on and off (not much time).  Got to level 12 so far, and the server is crowed as hell, yet no que times so far.  I do have to say it's "kind of" easy mode game play, maybe medium difficulty I would say. 

Enjoyable so far, haven't joined a guild yet, but with the auto Rifts, I may not need too.  Soon will be getting involved with the community when I have a long stretch of game play time.  

Enjoyable ?...... Yes, so far !..... but more time will tell.  

I review to come :)
    Torval said:
    I don't get what other people p/l to cap has to do with what you're doing and why that ruined the experience for you. That doesn't mean you have to do that. Most people aren't anywhere near there anyway.
    For something to bitch about. This has been the most divisive game I've seen in ages. People are queuing up around the block to find something to complain about. Its ever so odd.

Anyway OP, the few, not many, players that iron-manned it to level cap in the first few days are the kind of player that will do that in any game out there no matter how punitive the leveling scheme. I also high suspect many of them have an ulterior motive such as selling power leveling services and/or gold to other players. So if you let your own personal good time get ruined because a few OCD players I can't help but think you weren't very invested in the idea of liking the game in the first place.

Please don't take offense, but your response seems like a complete failure of reading comprehension.  There was no "bitching" in the op.  Nothing in it was "divisive".  Recognizing the pace of the game is not for you and bringing it up in a 3rd party forum specifically designed to talk about the game and the genre is not confrontational. 

It is accepting that the game might be designed for a different audience and expressing disappointment that it did not fit my own wants.  Both of those things are ok.  People can be disappointed and accept that a product does not fill the need that they have.  Does not make it good or bad.  It is personal preference and play style. 

I don't come to online forums much anymore.  Usually it takes a shot time for me to remember why.    Way to many people trying to self impose their own biases and agendas and far to little actual conversation or understanding. 

--John Ruskin

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    MMOman101 said:
    So I tried the Rift Prime experience and I am very disappointed.  I started about a week after it came out and was on a 2 week pass.  By the time my pass was up many people had already hit 50 and the queue to do lower level content was getting kind of long.  I made it to level 19 on two desperate characters.  maybe I should have just power leveled one character, but I wanted to try and enjoy a slower paced leveling and hopefully get to see a lot of the early content.  I am not sure why so many people raced up to the highest level, but they did.

I did not renew my subscription. I really wanted to enjoy the game at what I would consider a reasonable pace. 

When a game design is bad,everything is a race to end game,this has been going on ever since Wow was released.
    Nobody cares about Lore or rpg elements,everything is a veee line directly towards speed leveling.
    There is a game world !!! Oh really,where can i level the fastest..there are npc's to tal kto ,oh really ,where is the best starting zone to level up the fastest.There are many classes to enjoy,oh really which one is the easiest to solo and level up fast.

See the trends,VERY shallow gaming is what games and players are all about now a days,it is very sad times for quality gaming.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

I've been playing for several days on and off (not much time).  Got to level 12 so far, and the server is crowed as hell, yet no que times so far.  I do have to say it's "kind of" easy mode game play, maybe medium difficulty I would say. 

Enjoyable so far, haven't joined a guild yet, but with the auto Rifts, I may not need too.  Soon will be getting involved with the community when I have a long stretch of game play time.  

When I made my first character it added me automatically to a server guild that was actually pretty nice with people chatting. But I had to leave it to join another. Only for my second character did it let me start without a guild. Did you just leave the auto guild or how did you make a first character without a guild?
  • FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903
    danwest58 said:
    MMOman101 said:
    danwest58 said:
    They tried to sell this as more old school but if you read the info on the game they were doing a bait and switch.

An old school game wouldnt have this.

Will LFG be available?

Yes

Will LFR be available?

Maybe, working on it but because of 20 man more work is needed

All of these older MMOs have to contend with what convenience features to add when bringing back legacy servers.  Some like you will not accept them and others will play only if they add those conveniences.  they have to weight those out when deciding.

• zaberfangxzaberfangx Member UncommonPosts: 1,796
    edited March 2018
    danwest58 said:
    From all the complaining only a few race to the top. Trion had to raise the xp so people can level a bit faster. That didn't end up doing the same dungeons over and over to level, and was not designed to be a race of the top. Trion even didn't want to put in a challenge for the first 50 as they said on the live stream. The server was not mean to be a race to 50.

• delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    Leiloni said:

When I made my first character it added me automatically to a server guild that was actually pretty nice with people chatting. But I had to leave it to join another. Only for my second character did it let me start without a guild. Did you just leave the auto guild or how did you make a first character without a guild?

I'm very social, but not when I'm figuring out a game (it's been years), so I basically ignored it. 
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    edited March 2018
    I just dinged 29 (EDIT- Correction: 28, that quest didn't ding me! :D ) tonight on my Mage, 16 on my Rogue.  Queues are long but the guild I'm in usually has folks willing to run dungeons, so I don't have to queue alone unless I choose to.  I realize not everyone has such a guild or wants to be in one, though.

I've been pleasantly surprised in a big way.  I'm enjoying it.  I'm still trying to figure out my final Mage build at 50 (I really want Warlock to be my primary soul), but it's been fun trying out a lotta different builds with the role system and economic respec costs.  When I last tried Rift, I didn't last long enough to really dive into the soul system, which is a shame.  Making up for that now.

Right now, I'm considering dropping my WoW subscription simply because I'm playing Rift pretty much exclusively for my MMORPG fix anyways.
    [Deleted User]delete5230

• YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 3,098
    I play at odd hours of the day but still see plenty of people at lower levels; the 20-plus zone seems a bit dead though.
  • malikhigh1978malikhigh1978 Member UncommonPosts: 45
    I think the only real solution to that is add paragon levels like Diablo 3. And after you reach cap, you have the option of gaining permastats, and you start over in levels. I played Rift, it was alright, but just not my forte.
  • Teak2112Teak2112 Member UncommonPosts: 61
    MMOman101 said:

This is how it was at launch.  It does not take long to level in Rift if that is your goal.

Because of the small world zones should be decently populated for a while though.

Keep in mind the original launch of Rift saw huge early interest.  Week 1 everyone was having a blast, everyone talking about how amazing Rift was.  Within 3 months most of them had left.  Other than the PvP crowd, there werent tangible reasons why people were leaving (for the most part), they just were.

I always though Rift had no soul.  It was pretty, had an interesting class concept, was technically well made, and zone wide events were great fun, at least at first.  But the more you played, the blandness of things just kind of set in.  And the game world and lore, which is important to MMORPGs, is just bland and uninspired.

Obviously Rift clicks with enough people to have kept it around all these years, but for the vast majority of MMORPG players the game lacks staying power and I don't see how Prime addresses the flaws of the game.  Its not possible to fix Rift's flaws really.
    YashaXKyleran
  • Gobstopper3DGobstopper3D Member RarePosts: 966
    Wizardry said:
    MMOman101 said:

When a game design is bad,everything is a race to end game,this has been going on ever since Wow was released.
    Nobody cares about Lore or rpg elements,everything is a veee line directly towards speed leveling.
    There is a game world !!! Oh really,where can i level the fastest..there are npc's to tal kto ,oh really ,where is the best starting zone to level up the fastest.There are many classes to enjoy,oh really which one is the easiest to solo and level up fast.

See the trends,VERY shallow gaming is what games and players are all about now a days,it is very sad times for quality gaming.

Pick an mmo that doesn't have people racing to the end?  That is just part of today's gamer.  It's always a race to get to the end and then move on.  One of the main reasons I think that western devs don't make mmo's anymore.  I really don't think it has to do with the quality of the game.  For you maybe, but not me.  If I don't like a game, I just don't play it.  I won't finish it just because.

I left rift about 2 months after it had released.  Not because it was a bad game, but it got old having been playing it since the first closed beta.  That was my mistake.  I don't do f2p games, so I thought I would try out prime and I'm having fun going at my own pace.  Level 30 and have been playing for 2 weeks.  I think I avg maybe 15 min for group cues, but that is  nothing really.

I have no intention of raiding, so once I hit cap, I will roll another then unsub until more content is added.
    Kyleran

I'm not an IT Specialist, Game Developer, or Clairvoyant in real life, but like others on here, I play one on the internet.

• flashmemoryflashmemory Member UncommonPosts: 4
    There are plenty of reasons why you are not getting into dungeons or finding people your own level to play with. One of the biggest reasons would be you are in a guild that does not have a ton of players. Look for one and I am sure you will find players to play with at your own pace relatively.

Secondly, if you don't want to tank or heal in instant dungeons yet expect for solo queue to be instant you will greatly be disappointed. There is no 1 to 1 to 1 ratio for dps.  Your queue time is not long because there are not enough people but because their is just too many players you are fighting with for DPS/Support spots. 

Consider that people of higher level are being rewarded to go back and play early level dungeons bolstered and early level zones and dungeons should be populated for that fact alone. Also, you have EU players on that server too so you will have raids more often throughout the day.