Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Traders Frontiers ............. Brilliant game

ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
   Yes , title , been playing this one for about 8 weeks now , one of the most fleshed out well done Space Trader Sims i have seen , Devs are relentless in updates and fixes ..

Incredible immersion and depth , really intriguing storylines .. (but you go at your pace ..Open world )

In depth crew builds ..that matter

Combat for ground similar to Darkest Dungeon ( needs a bit more work but still good)

Space combat is turn based and well done with plenty of tactics and strategy

Trading is well done and worthwhile ...as well as salvaging....

Factions are very well represented and meaningful..

Exploration is fun ...

There is a fair learning curve to this one , but the  tutorial is a fair guide to get you started ....
   Well worth the entry fee and an incredible game in the making ............

http://store.steampowered.com/app/335620/Star_Traders_Frontiers/

[Deleted User]Iselinbartoni33Phaserlight[Deleted User][Deleted User]

Comments

• MaurgrimMaurgrim Member RarePosts: 1,325
    Somewhat late response but Interstellar Transport Company are also quite fun, although It's in EA.
    http://store.steampowered.com/app/573490/Interstellar_Transport_Company/

Phaserlight
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    is 20% off today ..11.99  ..

As i wrote above .. Great Game , great Devs , amazing depth to game play and immersion , with strong replay value .. You dont see many games like this ...
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Seems decent but...its not finished.

Will check again when it gets there.

alkarionlogPhaserlight

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Kyleran said:
    Seems decent but...its not finished.

Will check again when it gets there.

Altho , not complete , it is in helluva good shape very playable and very fun, lots of content in place also
    MikeB[Deleted User]
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163
    edited April 2018
    Every time I see someone mention this game I think of Space Trader. It's probably the worst game you have never heard of. I bought it because it just looked so bad, and it was less than $1.
    http://store.steampowered.com/app/11240/Space_Trader_Merchant_Marine/

SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    I already had this on my wishlist.  When it actually publishes from Early Access, I'll take a look.

Kyleran

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• GrandpaDJGrandpaDJ Member UncommonPosts: 132
    Thanks for the heads up. Looks like my type of game and will likely get it when it leaves Early Access.
  • boris20boris20 Member RarePosts: 404
    lost me at turn based
    boris20 said:
    lost me at turn based
    That feature increased my interest,  at my age I prefer some extra time to think about my next move.

;)

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Kyleran said:
    boris20 said:
    lost me at turn based
    That feature increased my interest,  at my age I prefer some extra time to think about my next move.

;)
    Wait until you're old enough to consider going upstairs for some reason between every turn.  Food.  Bathroom.  Pills.  Amnesia.   You've got a lot to look forward too.

Kyleran[Deleted User]Octagon7711[Deleted User]

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Thanks @Scorchien

I looked at a few videos of it last night and liked what I saw: low end graphics although not bad looking and definitely serviceable and one hell of a lot more depth than what the ones with AAA graphics seem to offer.

I've played a lot of 4X space sims and I'm sort of burnt out on all their micro-management. This RPG might just be a nice switch from those but still with a space and exploration theme.
    Scorchien[Deleted User]
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• SandmanjwSandmanjw Member RarePosts: 527
    Kyleran said:
    boris20 said:
    lost me at turn based

;)
    I like everything except the way they save (rogue like) i do not like these type games. Like to save try stuff out and then go back reload if i wish.

So not for me.
    edited April 2018
    Iselin said:
    Thanks @Scorchien

I looked at a few videos of it last night and liked what I saw: low end graphics although not bad looking and definitely serviceable and one hell of a lot more depth than what the ones with AAA graphics seem to offer.

I've played a lot of 4X space sims and I'm sort of burnt out on all their micro-management. This RPG might just be a nice switch from those but still with a space and exploration theme.
      It is a really nice middle ground from a 4x to an rpg , incredible depth under the hood , great story that you play at your own pace ,, very interesting factions and npcs...It does hit a sweet spot between 4x management and exploration trade/crew management that , once you get it , digests very nicely :)

It did take me 3 sittings to understand the ui and all the crew training , they have made that curve a bit easier in the past months , but still a slight learning curve there , as it is a uniqe game , that requires a bit of learning
    edited April 2018
    Sandmanjw said:
    Kyleran said:
    boris20 said:
    lost me at turn based

;)
    I like everything except the way they save (rogue like) i do not like these type games. Like to save try stuff out and then go back reload if i wish.

So not for me.
      This is really more a rogue-lite , you will have a crew of say 35 members , on your ship .. one may die on a surface mission for ex.. , fighting some aliens , That member is gone , and wont be back , but you still have a crew of 34 and can pick up a new member at space station , learn some lesson and possibly train him up a bit differently or know to approach that alien encounter with a different ground crew build ..
    Post edited by Scorchien on
    edited June 2018
    Is 25% off @ 11.24 Steam Summer sale ..

This is one of the better EA indie games to come along in a couple years , if you enjoy Space exploration/open ended world/deep interesting story lines /TurnNBasedCombat/Heavy Crew Building/TBShip combat , this title should not be missed by any fan of this genre

Steam still shows it as Early Access, is that still the case?

Mendel said:
    Steam still shows it as Early Access, is that still the case?

It is , but , there is a literal ton of bug free content to enjoy , and the most active dev team i have seen spanning dozens of EA titles, Updates are nearly 3 a week and usually beefy , game is in a highly playable state at this time

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100
    This game is not large scale right I can handle small group strategy but large battles scare me and I am lousy at them. I cannot see the big picture. I would have made a bad leader of any army.
    Chamber of Chains
  • TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321
    I also recommend checking out their other games

https://store.steampowered.com/developer/TreseBrothers

I remember these guys when at one point I only had my mobile phone since my PC died, and all their games were on the google playstore. Except star traders frontier wasn't on it, and that appears to be steam only.

But despite their other games being on mobile as well, they were incredibly high quality ones and I can only imagine the other games being just as good, and better on PC/steam than they were on the phone.

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

cheyane said:
    This game is not large scale right I can handle small group strategy but large battles scare me and I am lousy at them. I cannot see the big picture. I would have made a bad leader of any army.
    Yes combat is small scale , either in your ship or on planet , like Darkest Dungeon
      Is leaving EA on Wed 8/1    ... Read above for thoughts on this game ...

But should NOT be missed by any TBS Space fan ...   Brilliant game /end
  • JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849
    I bought this game and while i think its fantastic i don't have the time to commit that this game deserves, Very deep and cool game.
    ScorchienKyleran
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

Scorchien said:
    Sandmanjw said:
    Kyleran said:
    boris20 said:
    lost me at turn based

;)

So not for me.
      This is really more a rogue-lite , you will have a crew of say 35 members , on your ship .. one may die on a surface mission for ex.. , fighting some aliens , That member is gone , and wont be back , but you still have a crew of 34 and can pick up a new member at space station , learn some lesson and possibly train him up a bit differently or know to approach that alien encounter with a different ground crew build ..
    Looks like they have been listening to player feedback.  Save slots are here.

Save Slots
    Update #86 deploys a major feature that we have been discussing and designing since of the start of Early Access. It took a few months but Save Slots are finally wrapped up, and we finished final testing this weekend. Now any game that does not feature Captain permadeath offers four save slots to store snapshots of your captain’s career. These slots can be restored and played at any time and they store the entire game state. For example, you can start a template you love, do the first few Arbiter missions and then save your progress to one of your save slots. Then you can always come back there quickly from within that game. Or, as I tried in testing today, you could branch your save into 4 directions -- following Erik Faen, Zette Faen, Valencia and the Arbiter’s storylines, each with their own save slot. 

The new save slot system will help those players who are looking for ways to explore, try new things, backtrack on mistakes and explore the game in 

Kyleran said:
    Scorchien said:
    Sandmanjw said:
    Kyleran said:
    boris20 said:
    lost me at turn based

;)

So not for me.
    Looks like they have been listening to player feedback.  Save slots are here.

Save Slots
    Update #86 deploys a major feature that we have been discussing and designing since of the start of Early Access. It took a few months but Save Slots are finally wrapped up, and we finished final testing this weekend. Now any game that does not feature Captain permadeath offers four save slots to store snapshots of your captain’s career. These slots can be restored and played at any time and they store the entire game state. For example, you can start a template you love, do the first few Arbiter missions and then save your progress to one of your save slots. Then you can always come back there quickly from within that game. Or, as I tried in testing today, you could branch your save into 4 directions -- following Erik Faen, Zette Faen, Valencia and the Arbiter’s storylines, each with their own save slot. 

The new save slot system will help those players who are looking for ways to explore, try new things, backtrack on mistakes and explore the game in 
    They have had a really great ear for the community thru the entire process , been a real pleasure..

My Vote for Indie of the year right now also :)
    I've had this on my Steam wishlist for quite some time now.  I'm glad EA is ending and will purchase it when my gaming budget allows.