Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

CoE under serious and extended DDOS attack...

Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,947
I may not be the biggest fan of the game, but whoever is doing this is just the lowest form of scum...  Simply no excuse for crap like this.

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

NeutralEvilMrMelGibson

Comments

• AnOldFartAnOldFart Member RarePosts: 562
    Get no argument from me there, I would guess it's people with a micropen*** who do things like this because they think it makes them look like a man
    MrMelGibson
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,947
    Probably paid for with a stolen credit card.

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

I believe that's what Caspian said, they had expected it but hoped it would have been further down the line.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    I never put much thought into how to avoid this stuff i am sure experts would know their stuff.it just seems odd that after all this time and how important security is that we still see this stuff happening.

So my thought w/o putting in a lot of thought lol,is that you set up code so that when your site has a certain amount of hits maybe 100 in 10 minutes  or whatever your system can handle then it automatically shifts ip's away somewhere else or blocks them until less than 100 is met.

So then i did a quick Google search and there are many businesses that are able to block DDOS attacks so if that many exist then it is possible and i would think anyone requiring secure services would be using such technology or hiring it,so yeah i remain dumbfounded that this DDOS stuff is still going on.

So what it tells me is MANY businesses are not operating as secure as they SHOULD be.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

Crazy...
    MrMelGibson

• RenoakuRenoaku Member EpicPosts: 3,157
    edited April 2018
    DMKano said:
    There is no reasoning with people behind DDOS attacks - it takes less than 1min to pay for a scripted botnet DDOS attack - and once it's started - it's paid for and done - there are no mechanisms to "turn it off" in most cases. It's like starting an avalanche - once it's rolling, there's no stop button.  You can hope that they only paid for 1 hour of DDOS - but it's only a matter of time before you get someone who pays for 6 months - and then you are boned.

There are game companies that have been undergoing a continuous DDOS attack for months even years - and they never say anything about it because it's pointless to even mention it, as again it's paid for and it's going to run for a period of time that was purchased. 

Buying site specific "end point" DDOS solutions is useless - the only real shot of mitigating DDOS is global mitigation service like Prolexic/Akamai or similar - as it has to be mitigated way upstream before it gets to the destination and even then - there will be brief moments when stuff gets through and impacts the players. The other alternative is to have massive global networkconnectivity with 100Gb edge links like Google/Amazon/Facebook - but this is not a realistic option for 99.9999% of the video game companies as the cost is in 100s of millions of dollars.

My advice to any MMO game company out there - just factor in the cost of Akamai/Prolexic (or similar solution) as a part of doing business, because being a target of an unrelenting DDOS attack is inevitable, sooner or later - every game company becomes the target.

Wait by scripted DDOS attack are you talking about those sites which "Advertise themselves" as "Stress Testers", or rather Booters which are based off the description supposed to be used to test a network?

I haven't really ever seen any services which sell DDOS attacks online besides the stressers/booters thingy, I am sure they exist though, but even with a stress/booter I am not sure those allow a user to target login information unless that has evolved. ( Like I know its possible) but never seen that option in a basic booter before.

Could they not just put the servers behind Cloudflare like we have our basic servers setup?

https://www.incapsula.com/ddos/booters-stressers-ddosers.html I've seen these things before but never were aware they actually really did anything.
  • DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802
    DMKano said:

My advice to any MMO game company out there - just factor in the cost of Akamai/Prolexic (or similar solution) as a part of doing business, because being a target of an unrelenting DDOS attack is inevitable, sooner or later - every game company becomes the target.

That is good advice but I think Jeromy Walsh has proven a few time that his legendary armor gives him +100 faith - leading to 100% immunity to any kind of "interference" from the outside.
    NeutralEvilMrMelGibsonYashaXJeroKane
    Harbinger of Fools
  • NeutralEvilNeutralEvil Member UncommonPosts: 108
    edited April 2018

Man I was really enjoying the debate for the killing penalty on the battlefield

Seemed a lot of backers were split on it

And I thought Snipehunter's mention of making the incapacitation last just as long as a coup de grace (kill) would put a stopper on it. Because in my opinion the only reason to coup de grace (kill) an enemy would be to keep them out of the fight for as long as possible (unless they had some really good loots)

It was getting rather contentious!

The DDOS has been going on for nearly a day. Wonder how long it will last

• WellspringWellspring Member EpicPosts: 1,464
    I'm not sure Caspian's public response to the DDOS attack is wise.

I imagine the whole motivation of the attack is to cause the developers pain and illicit a response. The reply from the founder of the company is probably exactly what the person(s) wants. They do it for the attention.
    NeutralEvilKyleran[Deleted User]MrMelGibsonJeroKane
    --------------------------------------------
  • DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802

I imagine the whole motivation of the attack is to cause the developers pain and illicit a response. The reply from the founder of the company is probably exactly what the person(s) wants. They do it for the attention.
    That is surely true but Caspian likes to see himself as the martyr.

I mean just read the very last part. So full of drama and heroism.
    Once more it feels like he is roleplaying the valiant developer.
    [Deleted User]LokeroDhamon99AnOldFart
    Harbinger of Fools
  • Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766

This.

Every time I see things like this it seems to be because they want to inconvenience the person / company, so someone acknowledging it happening is going to basically acknowledge that they are irritated or hurting due to it and make the person doing it feel like it worked. 

It's too easy to buy access to botnets, I've seen a few forums advertising it, and I've seen at least 10 sites the last time I was on TOR advertising the services (now I'm not sure how legit they were but I'm just saying they were there). 

This reminds me of the whole Lizard Squad thing with PSN and Xbox Live that one Christmas, and then everyone finding out it was a bunch of 12 year olds paying for botnets with their parents cards calling themselves hackers. It's a weird situation today, but like DMKano said, you basically HAVE to get protection as a company, if not then there is always the possibility of getting screwed, even if there's no reason for someone to do it. Some people are just too bored and too rich, or too much of an asshole. 
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    Dakeru said:

I got that vibe too from the post.  It's a video game, not a social movement.
    [Deleted User]

Dakeru said:

I got that vibe too from the post.  It's a video game, not a social movement.
    Yeah I agree with what you’re saying.  It takes the focus away from what the dumbass DDOSer did.
    Im kind of expecting an anti-DDOS fundraiser at some point.

Caspien just seems so naive about most things...

But... it still shouldn’t take away from the fact that whoever is doing this is a dumbass and I hope they track him/her/them down.
    Dakeru[Deleted User]Lokero

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    edited April 2018
    Nyctelios said:
    The tone... it's not great.

You address harassment posing as martyr only entices them to do more.

And you open yourself to someone that would say this could be any kind of problem and they would be using (claiming) ddos as an excuse to promote themselves.

So in response you would have to "prove" it, exposing yourself even more and enticing even more attacks.

That's why most companies just shut up about it. There is no winning scenario.
    Never smart to dare hackers to "do their worst", in fact not acknowledging them is the best bet.

Also I think Caspian mistakenly thinks this is an organized attempt to "stop his vision" when really it is likely just some pissed off backer messing with him.

He should check his records to see if anyone has been particularly hostile in asking for a refund recently.

;)
    [Deleted User]MrMelGibsonLokero

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,033
  • DleatherusDleatherus Member UncommonPosts: 168
    CoE website back up atm

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Dickwads being themselves.

Love the inspirational rhetoric from Caspian though /s
    MadFrenchieMrMelGibson
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• LokeroLokero Member RarePosts: 1,514
    I never did understand why anyone would bother doing this to something as pointless and insignificant as a video game.   But, it seems to happen all the time to the gaming industry.

I mean, it just makes no sense.
    Also, I don't know why a "backer" would do it, unless they got banned from the forums or something.  That would be fairly counterproductive.  Unless, like Kyleran mentioned, someone got refused a refund, perhaps.
  • Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
    Lokero said:
    I never did understand why anyone would bother doing this to something as pointless and insignificant as a video game.   But, it seems to happen all the time to the gaming industry.

Also, I don't know why a "backer" would do it, unless they got banned from the forums or something.  That would be fairly counterproductive.  Unless, like Kyleran mentioned, someone got refused a refund, perhaps.
    But at that point DDOSing costs quite a bit, you are spending probably way more than your pledge to make a point? That would be weird and pointless too. 
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Lokero said:

But at that point DDOSing costs quite a bit, you are spending probably way more than your pledge to make a point? That would be weird and pointless too. 
    Weird and pointless pretty well describes the mind of the big pledgers as far as I'm concerned :)
    MrMelGibsonAnOldFartSlapshot1188MendelKyleranSpottyGekkomystichazeDakeru
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• LokeroLokero Member RarePosts: 1,514
    Lokero said:

Certainly, that's how I'd see it... But, I could definitely picture someone being refused a refund and then blowing more money just to attack them out of spite.  Obviously, people today have more anger than good sense.
    DakeruMendel
  • SiveriaSiveria Member UncommonPosts: 1,416
    edited April 2018
    I usually never back games like this, as I expect them to fail as they usually do, I will try it when it comes out though if it ever does. But I am very hesitant to back something like this unless I get something in my hands right away I can play, like steams early access program. At least if it goes under by the time it does I most likely got my playtime out of it.

Will admit I am not a big fan of their pay per character system, especally when we know there is going to be a pay2win cash shop on top of it. Don't even try to deny it, you know its going to be there :expressionless:

Being a pessimist is a win-win pattern of thinking. If you're a pessimist (I'll admit that I am!) you're either:

A. Proven right (if something bad happens)

or

B. Pleasantly surprised (if something good happens)

Either way, you can't lose! Try it out sometime!

• GaladournGaladourn Member RarePosts: 1,813
    disgruntled backer(s)?
  • OrangeBoyOrangeBoy Member UncommonPosts: 213
    maybe the DDoS was from Caspian himself
    NeutralEvil
    edited April 2018
    @Siveria its my understanding they are going to close the cashshop on launch.
    I am like you though I won't pay until it's released