Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

5k for Ashes and 1k for Pantheon , yet ..

124»

Comments

• danwest58danwest58 Member RarePosts: 2,012
    danwest58 said:
    IceAge said:

Well, I see it as a major issue because this is not.."investing" , is donating. I have no problem with donations in general, but it seems people have found a way to ..abuse it. Is a total mess I am telling you , and I don't see a way to stop this , which is a shame. 

But..don't get me wrong, I am all for supporting good projects, but I am against this KS MMO projects which , as of now , they are all some short of scams. At least that is how I see them.
    Then where are you going to get another MMORPG that is not a WOW Clone?   No AAA Publisher is going to take a risk on another MMORPG because their goal is to become the next WOW for their Stock Holders.   AAA Publishers no longer are interested in making good game, They are only interested in making money for Stock Holders.   Just look at EA and loot boxes with Star Wars.  Look at Blizzard with trying to cater to everyone by making the game a single player MMORPGs to make the masses happy instead of the niche MMORPG Market.   

Because MMORPGs by nature are high risk low reward games, WOW was the only game in the history of MMORPGs to be massively profitable; publishers make crap MMORPGS to make money of them.  Kickstarter right now is the ONLY way to make good MMORPGS again.   They are a High Risk High Reward for the player base because if they make a game with about 500K sub on a #0 to 40 Million dollar budget the game can be very sustainable.   In AAA Publishers eyes this is not profitable enough this is why they add P2W and shit.

So we are stuck with High Risk High Reward because we have Publicly traded Publishers.

Perfect World International  - PWRD 20.20
    blizzard activision stock - ATVI 65.04
    Electronic Arts Inc - EA 118.51 

Trion is privately held HOWEVER they did and keep trying to IPO their company.   Why do you think Rift F2P came in vs keeping the game as a P2P only game that would have had around 300K subs?   O thats right Money, they wanted to be publicly traded to make money.   

What do all the Kickstarter publishers have in mind?  Staying a Privately held company.   
    The genre needs some pruning, propping up hare-brained schemes put forth by teams with no track record of delivering a viable and fun game will not revive it.  At some point, the facts need to be faced that adding more titles onto the pile will merely ensure the risks are too high for investors to roll the dice in this genre.

So long as the competition is so fierce that the games themselves have to be given away just to get people to try them, I don't see a lot of investor interest in anything other than innovative monetization schemes.
    Sorry no you are incorrect.   MMORPGS were once made by teams that never made an MMORPG.  Look at UO, EQ, AC, SWG, and even WOW.   Many of these teams had little to no experience creating an MMORPG.   

Yea we do need to shut down MMORPGS I will agree with that.  But when you have nearly all the publishers in the MMORPG field being a publicly traded company you are not going to get anything that is innovative period.  They all think they will be the next WOW.  Look at the last 10 years of MMORPGS.   WOW Clone after WOW clone.  Now no one wants to create an MMORPG that is a AAA publisher because they cant make stupid ass profits off MMORPGS.  Well unless they make it P2W.  

2 or 3 of these kickstarters will become successful because they have good ideas with good teams.   Yea most of them fail look at LOA.   Their goal is going for the Private UO PreT2A crowd which is so small that game will not do shit.   Patheon and Ashes as they stand right now look like they could be successful as long as they dont over extend.  
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    That's fairly bold.  Also, "good ideas" is quite a subjective term.

• Terran589Terran589 Member CommonPosts: 5
    Kickstarter isn't a bad idea. It gives a lot of initial feedback on a game idea and helps gauge interest. However, the direction of development needs to change quickly based on user feedback. Those ks projects went under because the users lost interest in the concept. Therefore money stopped coming in and it died. 
  • EldurianEldurian Member EpicPosts: 2,736
    IceAge said:

I also think your personal preference about MMOs are bad. You can't call games like GW2 or F14 crap , but supporting KS project like Ashes, Chronicles, Shrouds, etc . You simply can't.

Anyway. Now that we've established how I feel about you telling me "You can't!" I'll explain why.

I don't care how polished and bug free your game is or how cool of a gimmick it uses it set itself apart (smart targeting, dialogue options etc.). If it's a quest grinder with a raiding / pvp "Endgame" then it's the same damn WoW model that's been being replicated by the industry for over 10 years. If I wanted to be playing WoW, I'd be playing WoW, so I'll pass.

As I said, Ashes and Chronicles are the two least interesting kickstarter projects IMO. Shroud is fun from the perspective you can sell in-game items for cash and they'll let you openly do it. The game itself is meh but I still find it more fun than WoW clones because of the build customization options.

I still see a lot of potential in Star Citizen and given I've recouped all the money I spent on it trading on the grey market, I wouldn't be mad if it went under tomorrow, just disappointed. I'm actually pretty pleased with development on that. It's exceeding the fairly low expectations I set for it and shaping up to be a lot of fun.

Crowfall also seems to be coming along quite nicely. That's the one I backed 2nd most heavily. Their combat revamp has apparently made it pretty fun to play, visuals are nice, could be a great game and if it's not I didn't invest enough in it to care.

Life is Feudal is the one I backed 3rd most heavily. I'm playing it right now and enjoying the crap out if it.

All three of these projects offer games radically different than anything currently on the market, and all three offer games I find 1000% more interesting than WoW clones. If they live up to a quarter of what they claim to be then I'll enjoy them considerably more than your pretty-polished-bug free turds you call GW2, FF14, and ESO. LiF already has proven to be a better game than any of those by my standards.
    BruceYee
  • BruceYeeBruceYee Member EpicPosts: 2,556
    Not sure if anyone pointed this out already but 6k for a gaming budget IMO is very high. My gaming budget is waaay under $100 each month so I'd say that guy does pretty well for himself.  He'll probably recover from that 6k sting fairly quickly.
    anemoInteritus
    Saying that Pantheon or Ashes(even thought I think it will be) are failures is premature until we see the final product.
    My question for the OP is ---> If it was Crowfall and CU instead of AoC and Pantheon would you be just as upset? If so please explain why you would be and if the answer is no then please explain that as well.

• immoralthangimmoralthang Member RarePosts: 300
    Eldurian said:
    Eldurian said:

Do I feel bad for the person who wasted that much? Absolutely not. 
    Neither Ashes nor Pantheon are confirmed failures as of this point in time and while they're personally the two major kickstarter projects I find least interesting I think they both have a fair shot at success.

Kickstarter anti-fanboys declare these projects dead / a waste of money the moment they are announced. That doesn't make them so.
    I’m by no means anti-Kickstarter. I’ve just given up on letting blind hype and promises dictate my decision to buy a game.
    Then how can you say their money was wasted? The jury is still out on if those games will live up to their promises or not.

There is a difference between saying "I'm not going to put money into these games until I see some proof they have an actual game that's fun" and "That person wasted their money on that game."

There money is by no means wasted until the game is a confirmed failure. They gambled their money.

At least for me, the money I have in kickstarter projects is because I would rather gamble money on the chance of a game I'll like, then put money into an existing/finished game I know is crap. And in terms of my personal preference GW2, F14, ESO etc. are all crap.

I backed the Repopulation on Kickstarter and it was in my eyes 100% a waste of 30$. This was way before the unity engine controversy. I learned a valuable lesson and moved on.

You are right to call it gambling and that’s why I avoid Kickstarter funded games. Addictive personality and what not.

"I backed the Repopulation on Kickstarter and it was in my eyes 100% a waste of 30$. This was way before the unity engine controversy. I learned a valuable lesson and moved on.

You are right to call it gambling and that’s why I avoid Kickstarter funded games. Addictive personality and what not."

Just reposting this since it's included in the quote that has my name around it. That part was immortalthang's reply but the quote tags seem to have glitched out on him.
  • MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,033
    IceAge said:
    Flyte27 said:
    IceAge said:
    Flyte27 said:
    Your logic isn't very good.  You are suggesting that things aren't good because they aren't mainstream.  Most triple A companies don't care about making products that aren't mainstream.  Mainstream doesn't mean something is good.  The sugar industry is mainstream, but that doesn't mean sugar is good for you to eat in it's refined form.  Kick starter isn't bad or good.  It is just an alternative for small groups of people to try and get the games they want made.  It gives the power to the people so speak so they aren't at the mercy of big game companies.  That is no different than companies that grow small quantities of home grown vegetables vs those who mass produce.
    No. I never suggested that things aren't good because they are not mainstream. They are not good ( KS MMo Projects ) , because they suck. That is, until some project comes to ..live and prove me wrong. And by proving me wrong, means to release a stable project, with some decent content , exactly like what they say first when they start their KS project. 

We have shitty niche games ( mostly f2p ones ) , not made by the AAA companies , but at least they are funding their games with their own money. 

People needs to realize that I make no comparation between big or small companies or companies who goes KS route. Actually, any company out there started small , so your(s) point is not valid. 

What I am against is the way this companies ( KS's strictly ) are getting the money and are not held responsible for anything , aka - taking the money and "leave". Fail to deliver X content? No problem. Fail to release the game within a decent time-frame ? No problem. Fail to actually deliver anything? No problem. No one will say anything to them, while working with investors, you are fucking releasing what you said , or you are getting sued and/or fired - depending on the contract. 

In before, making ( again ) comparations between a company who goes KS and a company who have their own funds , don't. Taking money from donors with promises and not delivering them , from my point of view , they should be responsible in a court. That's fraud. I mean, if you take money from anywhere else, for a project, and not delivering , normally you pay. From a bank ? You pay. From investors? Well , you can't actually fail because they are watching you , but if you do fail , then you are fired and oh well .. good luck finding a job in the industry. So everything else have consequences , except ......... KS! That is the problem. 

lahnmir said:

Nah, you only saying half of what you mean is lazy. Just like you trying to shut down everyone with a different opinion then yours instead of engaging in conversation, lazy. Or calling everything shitty until proven wrong, lazy. So beside being rude, condescending and completely unable to see the other side of an argument I can now ad lazy to the list. And all the while you keep questioning others their intelligence, the only one here lacking anything is you. Some people don't agree with you, boohoo, its a forum, not the IceAge show. Your buttons are also very easily pressed, its quite entertaining.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir

Your comment is more like "bla bla bla". Lazy "bla bla bla" that is ..
    I guess that is a fair argument, but I don't see it a a major issue.  People can invest if they have the spare money.  It's their job to decide if they should or can invest.  Obviously there is no guarantee a crowd funded game will ever be produced.  I'm not certain it is fair to have that expectation.  There are some kickstarter games that are fairly good like Pillars of Eternity, Tides of Numenera, and Wasteland 2 (at least according to reviews).
    Well, I see it as a major issue because this is not.."investing" , is donating. I have no problem with donations in general, but it seems people have found a way to ..abuse it. Is a total mess I am telling you , and I don't see a way to stop this , which is a shame. 

But..don't get me wrong, I am all for supporting good projects, but I am against this KS MMO projects which , as of now , they are all some short of scams. At least that is how I see them.
    I've only once supported a KS.  It was for the second Shadowrun game.  Which was awesome and so was the 2nd sequel.  I digress, personally, I find that some KS work for single player games or multiplayer occasionally.

I never thought that anything good MMO wise would come from KS.  So I have never donated to any.  There are a couple I wish the best.  But unless F2P, I'll likely wait till I read reviews and hear from those on this site I trust.  I just can't see how anyone can make a full fledged mmo from a million or two. A lot of these devs promised the moon and back.  I'm skeptical they will deliver anything at all.

SC being the exception because of the amount of money it has collected.  That doesn't automatically mean we will get what was promised.  It could crash and burn and never see the light of day.  I merely mean that is the only mmo that has acquired the funding to potentially pull it off.
    KyleranMadFrenchie
  • IceAgeIceAge Member EpicPosts: 3,120
    BruceYee said:
    Saying that Pantheon or Ashes(even thought I think it will be) are failures is premature until we see the final product.
    My question for the OP is ---> If it was Crowfall and CU instead of AoC and Pantheon would you be just as upset? If so please explain why you would be and if the answer is no then please explain that as well.

If you would of read more then my OP post, you would of notice that I put them all in the same boat , be it Ashes, Crowfall you name it. And I did explain as to why. 

IceAge said:
    Flyte27 said:
    IceAge said:
    Flyte27 said:
    Your logic isn't very good.  You are suggesting that things aren't good because they aren't mainstream.  Most triple A companies don't care about making products that aren't mainstream.  Mainstream doesn't mean something is good.  The sugar industry is mainstream, but that doesn't mean sugar is good for you to eat in it's refined form.  Kick starter isn't bad or good.  It is just an alternative for small groups of people to try and get the games they want made.  It gives the power to the people so speak so they aren't at the mercy of big game companies.  That is no different than companies that grow small quantities of home grown vegetables vs those who mass produce.
    No. I never suggested that things aren't good because they are not mainstream. They are not good ( KS MMo Projects ) , because they suck. That is, until some project comes to ..live and prove me wrong. And by proving me wrong, means to release a stable project, with some decent content , exactly like what they say first when they start their KS project. 

We have shitty niche games ( mostly f2p ones ) , not made by the AAA companies , but at least they are funding their games with their own money. 

People needs to realize that I make no comparation between big or small companies or companies who goes KS route. Actually, any company out there started small , so your(s) point is not valid. 

What I am against is the way this companies ( KS's strictly ) are getting the money and are not held responsible for anything , aka - taking the money and "leave". Fail to deliver X content? No problem. Fail to release the game within a decent time-frame ? No problem. Fail to actually deliver anything? No problem. No one will say anything to them, while working with investors, you are fucking releasing what you said , or you are getting sued and/or fired - depending on the contract. 

In before, making ( again ) comparations between a company who goes KS and a company who have their own funds , don't. Taking money from donors with promises and not delivering them , from my point of view , they should be responsible in a court. That's fraud. I mean, if you take money from anywhere else, for a project, and not delivering , normally you pay. From a bank ? You pay. From investors? Well , you can't actually fail because they are watching you , but if you do fail , then you are fired and oh well .. good luck finding a job in the industry. So everything else have consequences , except ......... KS! That is the problem. 

lahnmir said:

Nah, you only saying half of what you mean is lazy. Just like you trying to shut down everyone with a different opinion then yours instead of engaging in conversation, lazy. Or calling everything shitty until proven wrong, lazy. So beside being rude, condescending and completely unable to see the other side of an argument I can now ad lazy to the list. And all the while you keep questioning others their intelligence, the only one here lacking anything is you. Some people don't agree with you, boohoo, its a forum, not the IceAge show. Your buttons are also very easily pressed, its quite entertaining.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir

Your comment is more like "bla bla bla". Lazy "bla bla bla" that is ..
    I guess that is a fair argument, but I don't see it a a major issue.  People can invest if they have the spare money.  It's their job to decide if they should or can invest.  Obviously there is no guarantee a crowd funded game will ever be produced.  I'm not certain it is fair to have that expectation.  There are some kickstarter games that are fairly good like Pillars of Eternity, Tides of Numenera, and Wasteland 2 (at least according to reviews).

I've only once supported a KS.  It was for the second Shadowrun game.  Which was awesome and so was the 2nd sequel.  I digress, personally, I find that some KS work for single player games or multiplayer occasionally.

I never thought that anything good MMO wise would come from KS.  So I have never donated to any.  There are a couple I wish the best.  But unless F2P, I'll likely wait till I read reviews and hear from those on this site I trust.  I just can't see how anyone can make a full fledged mmo from a million or two. A lot of these devs promised the moon and back.  I'm skeptical they will deliver anything at all.

SC being the exception because of the amount of money it has collected.  That doesn't automatically mean we will get what was promised.  It could crash and burn and never see the light of day.  I merely mean that is the only mmo that has acquired the funding to potentially pull it off.
    Fair enough. 

I was talking strictly for KS MMO's , but I do agree that single player game , occasionally , delivers. And there are some factors here. A single player game is waaaaaay different then a MMO , on many levels, be it development time , features , money , etc.

I so agree with you about how dev's promising "the moon and back" with few millions in their pockets. They pretty much knows that can't delivers a stable , good MMO with that money, but they are still promising. And that .. is where the scam begins. 

Eldurian 

investment - the action or process of investing money for profit.

Again, stop calling it investment. You are donating money. For anything else you've said , I have nothing else to add. Keep donating and keep playing your beloved KS MMO's. 

PS: What game(s) are you playing now? 
    YashaX

Reporter: What's behind Blizzard success, and how do you make your gamers happy?
    Blizzard Boss: Making gamers happy is not my concern, making money.. yes!

• GaendricGaendric Member UncommonPosts: 624
    Crowdfunding is just a bad fit for MMORPGs. 
    Even the most successful MMORPG campaigns only yielded a fraction of what is needed to make a full scope decent quality MMORPG. And they had to promise every feature known to mankind to reach that amount, which just makes matters worse.

Crowdfunding can be good for judging/proving interest in an MMORPG to then get real investors, but that kinda negates the upside of crowdfunding from the player's view. (which would be freedom to make a great game for the audience/backers, without worrying about how to maximize returns for the investors)

I crowdfund smaller games all the time and have faired quite well with them so far, but MMORPGs that promise the moon and a big chunk of the sun, no thanks. Recipe for failure.
    Not a fan of unexperienced companies promising big and then having to switch to heavy handed P2W shop antics later in a desperate attempt to avoid going belly up before even reaching alpha.

IceAgeKyleranMrMelGibson
  • IceAgeIceAge Member EpicPosts: 3,120
    More from the guy I quoted in my OP post : 

must be hard to know you throwed away 5000 buck for a games that will never came out and that there is huge chance the creator will just run away with your money in a few years, kinda sad

"It was quite easy to give them 5000.00 actually. Glad to see there are some AoC haters here though. Kind of sad you worry about 5000...and had to comment on someone else's money."

Oh boy, and people calls me "crazy" , for having an opposite pov on this guy...

I wonder how many like this one are around here. How many of you donated few $k to a MMO KS Project? Come, don't be shy .. tell me. 

Reporter: What's behind Blizzard success, and how do you make your gamers happy?
    Blizzard Boss: Making gamers happy is not my concern, making money.. yes!

• danwest58danwest58 Member RarePosts: 2,012
    Has anyone pointed out that is someone is stupid enough to spend $6000 backing kickstarter games that is their own foolishness if they now have a problem with it?   When I spent $80 on Ashes of creation I was like that is as much as I am willing to donate because most games I spend money on are around $60.   The $80 did not hurt me or take anything from my family.  The only thing it did was make it so I didnt buy another game or two that month anyway. 

There is no point to this thread because some moron did something stupid.  So now we have a stupid thread talking about how each other is a moron because 1 moron did something stupid.  Does anyone see how we look foolish for this thread?   
    IceAge said:

Eldurian 

investment - the action or process of investing money for profit.

Again, stop calling it investment. You are donating money. For anything else you've said , I have nothing else to add. Keep donating and keep playing your beloved KS MMO's. 

PS: What game(s) are you playing now? 
    The word invest was used 28 times on this page. I used it once. And given I have traded around kickstarter packages either if a game goes south (I used that method to recoupe 100% of my losses once when I realized a game I kickstarted would be terrible) or when the value of my kickstarter packages skyrocket (I'm in the positive hundreds of dollars for Star Citizen because the value of some of my packages quadrupled or nearly quadrupled and I wanted that money more than the ships) I'm probably the most qualified to use that word here. Not sure why you're making a big deal out of the fact I said it once.

As I said I'm currently playing Life is Feudal. One of the games I backed a long time ago.
    edited April 2018
    danwest58 said:
    Has anyone pointed out that is someone is stupid enough to spend $6000 backing kickstarter games that is their own foolishness if they now have a problem with it?   
    Doesn't even sound like the dude has a problem with it. He was just pointing out he can only afford 150$ per game nowdays. That's more than I have paid into anything but Star Citizen.
    IceAge said:
    BruceYee said:

If you would of read more then my OP post, you would of notice that I put them all in the same boat , be it Ashes, Crowfall you name it. And I did explain as to why.
    I read all your posts and it looks like you are more upset about individuals getting free money more than anything else. While I don't disagree cause I'm sure some of them will end up pocketing sizable amounts of KS/crowdfunded funds for themselves there are some that I'm sure won't. Lumping them all into one group isn't fair to those who actually do the best they can to produce a quality game. I'm eagerly awaiting July 4th(CU) and both betas for CF and Pantheon so we can see how the real batch of big boy crowdfunded MMORPG's hold up cause SotA IMO was a really bad first example.
    ConstantineMerus
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508
    BruceYee said:
    IceAge said:
    BruceYee said:

I read all your posts and it looks like you are more upset about individuals getting free money more than anything else. While I don't disagree cause I'm sure some of them will end up pocketing sizable amounts of KS/crowdfunded funds for themselves there are some that I'm sure won't. Lumping them all into one group isn't fair to those who actually do the best they can to produce a quality game. I'm eagerly awaiting July 4th(CU) and both betas for CF and Pantheon so we can see how the real batch of big boy crowdfunded MMORPG's hold up cause SotA IMO was a really bad first example.
    2nd example, perhaps even 3rd.

Albion Online and Elite Dangerous probably hold the 1st two slots.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon