Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MMO fully playable with controller ?

LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965
So Im looking for MMO that I can play on big screen with controller, kick back and not crouched over keyboard and mouse.

It must be fully playable with controller, not partially. And should have actual official controller support and not trough some outside program workaround.

Comments

• DeadSpockDeadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 403
    FFXI, FFXIV, Tera, ESO, STO, Neverwinter.
    MrMelGibson
  • DaikuruDaikuru Member RarePosts: 797
    MrMelGibson
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

- Albert Einstein

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355
    Official controller support is useless, as it basically never works.  I play most PC games with a controller, and have played many that had official controller support, but never yet found one where the controller support worked right out of the box without needing external software to remap things.  If you want to play PC games with a controller, then you absolutely have to have software to map controller buttons to keyboard keys.
    edited April 2018
    DeadSpock said:
    Neverwinter is mostly playable with a controller, though it's substantially awkward and I had to map some buttons to macros that called console commands.  You'll still need to use a mouse to navigate menus.

TERA is only marginally playable with a controller.  Beyond needing a mouse to navigate menus, combat is very awkward.  If your controller is something other than an Xbox controller, you'll also need third-party software to tell TERA that there is an Xbox controller attached so that it will enable some essential control options for you.  No, I'm not kidding about that.

FFXIV has gameplay that isn't naturally controller-friendly, but Square-Enix put a ton of work into making it playable with a controller.  They also explicitly made it so that you can navigate menus with a controller, though it's still often more awkward than just using a mouse.

If you're willing to occasionally grab a mouse to navigate menus, then Elsword and Hyper Universe work very well with a controller.  The latter is technically a MOBA, though.  Alternatively, you can map a thumbstick to move the mouse pointer and a button to be a mouse click and use the controller instead of a mouse, but I think that's awkward.
  • DeadSpockDeadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 403
    Playing ffxi and ffxiv since day one those are games build for controller so no clue what are you talking about, Tera I can do every function in game with a controller no mouse needed. Neverwinter not sure I played on PS4 so thought should be able to play on pc with one.
  • Pr3sid3ntSkr00bPr3sid3ntSkr00b Member UncommonPosts: 53
    Ffxiv took me forever to play decent on a controller. Tera probably the same. 

Eso and Neverwinter are your best bet. Maybe Star Trek but idk I only played the intro to that one on console. 
    DeadSpock said:
    Playing ffxi and ffxiv since day one those are games build for controller so no clue what are you talking about, Tera I can do every function in game with a controller no mouse needed. Neverwinter not sure I played on PS4 so thought should be able to play on pc with one.
    The problem with FFXIV with a controller is that there are a lot of skills that you need quick access to, far more than the number of buttons on your controller.  You end up having to map lots of things to various combinations of buttons.  The control configuration options are well done to allow you to do this, so combat works reasonably well with a controller.  But the nature of the gameplay means that it simply isn't going to be the most controller-friendly option.

With TERA, the problem is that the game nominally supports a controller, but one gets the impression that no developers seriously tried playing the game with a controller.  It's possible that this has changed since I played, but back when I played, combat was really awkward with a controller.  You could do it, and you could win because the game was so easy.  But if you're looking for controller-friendly games, you really should look elsewhere, as many other MMORPGs are far easier to play with a controller than TERA.
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    edited April 2018
    Black Desert Online, and Blade & soul, as well as all the mmos mentioned above.

I played most of them exclusively with a controller.

EDIT: WoW has an addon called Console Port, it changes the UI to a controller friendly UI like FFXIV, and once you enable action camera it works magically well with a controller.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2AmX-6ltH8

I think the guy in the video didn't have ActionCamera enabled on WoW's command console but you can do  that easily with a command input in chat.

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383
    I thought ESO played better with a controller than KB/M. It's fairly intuitive. I just don't enjoy that particular game all that much.

FFXIV chording works, but it takes practice. It's not something you can just pick up and figure out in the first play setting if you had already played the game on KB/M.

EDIT: WoW has an addon called Console Port, it changes the UI to a controller friendly UI like FFXIV, and once you enable action camera it works magically well with a controller.
    While you could play Black Desert with a controller, combat was somewhat awkward.  Not awful, but they didn't offer as many control scheme options as they really should have.

Blade and Soul worked reasonably well with a controller for the little bit of time that I played it.  My problem was that I didn't like the game.
    Actually, since I play most games with a controller, I'll throw out a few more options that worked well:

Tree of Savior is also very controller-friendly.  I think I usually grab a mouse for navigating menus, but for combat, a controller will do everything you need and do it well.

Trove works pretty well with a controller, at least for the combat side of things.  I wouldn't use a controller for crafting your house or whatever, though.

Champions Online also works quite well with a controller.  Just don't enable their official controller support, as it's buggy and will make the game intermittently stall.
    Nyctelios said:
    DeadSpock said:
    FF14 is perfect with controller I must add. Better than M&K in my opinion. They made a way that Controller has way more slots and waaay wasier to access than reaching your finger for Shift+8
    If you're using a keyboard and assigning common things to combinations of keys, then you're using the keyboard wrongly.  FFXIV does need a lot of controls, but a standard keyboard has about a hundred keys on it.
    Ridelynn said:

FFXIV chording works, but it takes practice. It's not something you can just pick up and figure out in the first play setting if you had already played the game on KB/M.
    The reason for that is because XIV with a controller is designed to play like traditional turn based FF games where you cycle between hostile and friendly npcs with Dpad and since there is no action combat it feels almost like classic menu based gameplay. But once you get used to that gameplay it is quite enjoyable, at least for me it is a lot more relaxed with a controller now that i'm used to it.

edited April 2018
    Quizzical said:

While you could play Black Desert with a controller, combat was somewhat awkward.  Not awful, but they didn't offer as many control scheme options as they really should have.

Blade and Soul worked reasonably well with a controller for the little bit of time that I played it.  My problem was that I didn't like the game.
    I had the opposite experience, I thought BDO's gameplay felt more intuitive while B&S's menu interactions felt better with a controller. I do agree B&S had more control customization(mapping) options.

EDIT: On topic: i think Star Trek Online also has controller support on PC, specially now that the game is on console and plays well there with a controller.