Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Where are you finding new music?

dougha1dougha1 Member UncommonPosts: 152
These days I only listen to the radio when in the car so I don't hear many new tunes.  Sometimes walking in the mall I may hear something I like and I'll write a few lyrics down for later research. I've found some good links to tunes on a thread here on these forums.  It's not enough: I want to hear (or hear about) more new music.

How are you all finding new tunes? (new bands, etc.)

This forum is broken. It is time to move to proboards, because they're broken.

Comments

• CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412
    I am finding it difficult to find new music lately. Right now I get a few new artists on Spotify if I am paying attention. Sometimes I might look at an artist if there song was covered by someone on YouTube.
  • EldurianEldurian Member EpicPosts: 2,736
    I listen to music on Youtube a lot. You can look up nearly any song and find it there. When the song is done playing it goes to related songs. Some of the time the related songs are crap and I put YouTube back on track by pulling something else that I like up.

Sometimes the related songs are really good and by an artist I've never heard before.

Sometimes I just search by a general genre that I like and listen to a 2 hour long compilation filled with a mix of artists I know and one's I don't. If the compilation is good it gives a breakdown of which songs play at which times in the video description so if I hear something amazing I can look it up.

Like so:

waynejr2
  • dougha1dougha1 Member UncommonPosts: 152
    Eldurian said:
    I listen to music on Youtube a lot. You can look up nearly any song and find it there. When the song is done playing it goes to related songs. Some of the time the related songs are crap and I put YouTube back on track by pulling something else that I like up.

Sometimes the related songs are really good and by an artist I've never heard before.

Sometimes I just search by a general genre that I like and listen to a 2 hour long compilation filled with a mix of artists I know and one's I don't. If the compilation is good it gives a breakdown of which songs play at which times in the video description so if I hear something amazing I can look it up.

Like so:

Ooooo, interesting.  Many names I do not know.  Thank you.  :)

Phaserlight
  • AsheramAsheram Member EpicPosts: 5,071
    Eldurian said:

Like so:

True dat 
  • GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657
    Let me know when the whiny man-boy era ends and I might listen to some newer music.
    Gorwe
    "I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    youtube

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• cameltosiscameltosis Member LegendaryPosts: 3,706
    Mostly through spotify for me.

I've never been great at finding new bands, it seemed to be really easy as a kid but I've lost the knack. As a kid, there were magazines, the radio, music TV plus your friends so there was always something new to come along. 

As an adult, none of those avenues are true. Magazines are aimed at kids, even the rock and metal magazines are pretty crap. The radio has always been bad. I don't have music TV at home, and my friends are mostly still listening to the same stuff they've always liked. 

So yeh, spotify. 

What I have done is try to create a load of playlists within specific genres and then I let spotify suggest similar songs. These will play automatically at the end of the playlist, or you can just scroll down (on desktop) and it will have a list of 5 or 10 recommendations. 

Beyond that, there are tons of playlists out there created by the community that you can listen to. So, for example, a few years ago I decided I needed an education into grunge as I really didn't know much, so tried out a few grunge playlists and found a load of stuff that I liked. At the moment I have a couple of playlists I am getting into. The first is the Altered Carbon soundtrack, I thought the series was amazing but hardly recognised any music so trying to learn some new things. I also have a baroque playlist on the go, whilst I don't really like classical music I'm trying to learn more about it and it does kinda help with concentration so it's good to have on in the background when doing household chores. 
  • riveroftimeriveroftime Member CommonPosts: 14
    always Spotify. I try to keep track of bands I already know, but Spotify does a great job of finding me new artists.
  • dougha1dougha1 Member UncommonPosts: 152
    I don't even know what "spotify" is, lol.  Guess I'd better research it.

Thank you, everyone, for the replies. :)
  • riveroftimeriveroftime Member CommonPosts: 14
    dougha1 said:
    I don't even know what "spotify" is, lol.  Guess I'd better research it.

Thank you, everyone, for the replies. :)

Ha, it's like owning every CD in the world on your computer ;)
  • HyperpsycrowHyperpsycrow Member RarePosts: 913
    I listen to DI.fm for free but you can sign up..tons of radio streaming stations with no dj talk

• jamorganjamorgan Member CommonPosts: 10
    On the radio and Youtube, most of the songs on my playlist are modern ones. 
    SomaFM
  • Garenpro9461Garenpro9461 Member CommonPosts: 3
    lister everywhere, and not favorite song, then learn to sing hit.
  • DecardCainDecardCain Member UncommonPosts: 45
    Mostly on youtube and from my dear friends with the same music tastes.
  • ImNotHarryImNotHarry Member UncommonPosts: 27
    I often ask my friends about new music. I like read topics where people write about their favorite music.
  • BryanCliffordBryanClifford Member CommonPosts: 3
    Mostly on youtube
  • RefloxReflox Member CommonPosts: 8
    Youtube, Spotify discover weekly/new releases, back in the old days i used to have 8tracks, grooveshark accounts and go through random playlists 
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    Mainly spotify
  • MarylleMarylle Member CommonPosts: 6
    Spotify, Youtube, any source from the outer world and through the public radio
  • hibikikidhibikikid Member CommonPosts: 14
    I usually find them on Youtube.
  • nupalauknupalauk Member CommonPosts: 7
    Just Youtube :)
  • erichoffmanerichoffman Member UncommonPosts: 11
    Youtube and Spotify. The last one makes good recommendations. 
  • Viper_ArchViper_Arch Member CommonPosts: 3
    I usually look over YouTube Music app - there are only music videos without the other video content stuff :)
This discussion has been closed.