Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

It's April Fool's Day 2018 - See the Crazy #%^@ Devs Came Up With - General Columns

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited April 2018 in News & Features Discussion

imageIt's April Fool's Day 2018 - See the Crazy #%^@ Devs Came Up With - General Columns

Yes, it's April 1st again and it's time to round up all of the nifty jokes that game developers have posted around the web. It may be Sunday but those hard working men and women never rest. See what's new for 2018. We'll keep updating this through the day so check back from time to time! Did we miss one? Post it in the comments!

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• donpadrexdonpadrex Member UncommonPosts: 46
    edited April 2018
    I remember the time when Blizzard announced the "Bard" class to WoW. They made Skill/Character animations and Skill descriptions. Man was I hyped at that time, who wouldn't want to go to battle with an E-Guitar wielding Bard. Than I checked date again and I was like "FU Blizzard FU, well played!". Nowadays its just "MEH".
    FedayginApridisePanther2103kaedian66
  • BoltonsquadBoltonsquad Member UncommonPosts: 403
    Black Desert themed theme park has been the best I've seen yet:

"Pearl Abyss and Realplay Parks LLC today announced their plans to build two theme parks based on the former’s Black Desert Online IP, which has taken the world by storm since its launch in 2016.

The first theme parks will open in Irvine, California and Jeju Island in South Korea in late 2021. Other locations in Europe, Russia and Japan are also being considered."
  • WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,363
    loled when the old man throw the smartphone to the river fishing in FFXIV GO.

But yeah 1 april is expected hard to fall for it
    bartoni33Liljna
  • StranaStrana Member UncommonPosts: 38
    Path of Exile: Royale is real and playable.
    PhryDreadstoneofxevjarsku85SomeHumanchocolate42069[Deleted User]AsmodeuXFrodoFraginsNilden
  • SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Strana said:

Path of Exile: Royale is real and playable.

Doesn't mean it's not a joke for the day or that it'll be removed or is a kitchy thing. Do ya really believe what they said about ditching the ARPG PoE in favor of battle royale? :D

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• AnthurAnthur Member UncommonPosts: 961
    The FFXIV made me laugh and was even plausible at the beginning (pokemon go for FFXIV, why not ?). So I call this a good one. And they put quite some effort into it.

And throwing the phone into the lake or using it as an pickaxe was funny. Even more imagining that some people really would do this if you told them it does yield ingame resources... :)
    SBFordwingood
  • FedayginFedaygin Member UncommonPosts: 48
    edited April 2018
    Can't use Paragraphs when try to Edit :/ Even when add 2x Empty Lines. Always shows up as Chunk of Text. Only Posting a new Comment with Paragraphs works. Forum Mod here in Mmorpg.com site please Fix.. :/
    Post edited by Fedaygin on
    "Recycle, Reduce Single Plastic Use & Switch To Fabric Groceries Bag" https://www.fedaygin.com/ "Treat Others as You Want to be Treated"
  • DreadstoneofxevDreadstoneofxev Member CommonPosts: 17
    The WoW one is about as inspired as a lot of the changes they've made over the years.
    SBFordKalebGrayson
  • FedayginFedaygin Member UncommonPosts: 48
    Not April Fools Joke, but Joke of A Year: Swtor the One With Playstation 2 Aged GFX MMO Based on Big IP would be Able to Return to It's Old MMO Style like in Early Days up to 3.0 Patch. Noot :D 2nd Joke & Disgusting Fact about Swtor now in 2018 is that Eaware & EA Has Nutz Big Enough to call their Microtransactions as in Real Cash in game store sale as Event.. :o :D

Only happens at Dev Crew that are EA's Minions.. Unfbelievable. Really, Since it Has nothing to Do with In Game Content Then it Can't Be called as Game Event. Then again No other Publisher would be Dumb Enough to Call Real Cash Store Change a Game Event.. All Reskinned Items going for Direct Sale to a Certain Time Period.

Naturally Market Whales Are Going to Feed EA Half Blindly. Price Tags ranging from Shameful 25€ to 45€ are there. Many easily Gullible People Pay those amounts that Match New Full Game with 30+ Hours of Adventure Time. *Brainstorm..*

Kindly: Sub Since Launch up to End of 2016. Returned Oct. 2017, but Sad cause Still Lack of Proper Mmo Content & no Good Plans for it on Sight. Sub Auto Renewal Axed at Dec 2017. #WaitingForSubWorthyNews
    kaedian66
    "Recycle, Reduce Single Plastic Use & Switch To Fabric Groceries Bag" https://www.fedaygin.com/ "Treat Others as You Want to be Treated"
  • ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    A few of my mates had decided to fool me this year, since I'm such a know-it-all and have total awareness of all-thngs-existence. They started their con back in September. I can't discuss the details because of the children but man it was freaking awesome. Man they should make a movie based on what these gents did to me.

Lesson: fool people for a much longer period then announce it on April Fool's. You don't even need to announce it, just drop a hint. 
    MrMelGibson
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • fs23otmfs23otm Member RarePosts: 506
    Rift .... There is no fall damage in game anymore.... except today the Devs turned it back on.

A lot of deaths going down lol...
    ScotApridiseMrMelGibsonSamhael
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    edited April 2018
    Some where quit funny, this made me laugh: If I could post the picture of the BDO theme park I would, but sometimes you just get fed up and have to move on!

EDIT: File is too large (It was over 4MB) at least I know I was pressing the right buttons. :) 
    Post edited by Scot on
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Nothing new in ESO officially that I know of yet except for a popular crafting add-on that did its own thing:

MrMelGibson[Deleted User]
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• XingbairongXingbairong Member RarePosts: 927

DMKano said:

Meh - it went from being pretty awesome when players actually fell for it, now game studios are like "hey we need to come up with another thing for April fools that everyone totally expects"

I agree. There used to be such April Fool's that people genuinely believed and now as you said... feels like developers do it out of obligation, though I won't lie I still had some fun reading the WoW patch notes :)
    MrMelGibson
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    If only Sea of Thieves was just an early April Fool's joke, am I right?!
    Whiteshade92kertin
  • SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    edited April 2018

DMKano said:

Meh - it went from being pretty awesome when players actually fell for it, now game studios are like "hey we need to come up with another thing for April fools that everyone totally expects"

I agree. There used to be such April Fool's that people genuinely believed and now as you said... feels like developers do it out of obligation, though I won't lie I still had some fun reading the WoW patch notes :)
    Be sure to go to the WoW site for the new micro holidays. It's a crack up.

https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-us/news/21655807

Oh and this too:

NephethScot

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    I know the game or i mean the owner takes a lot of heat,but why was the very first thing that popped into my head was....

Star Citizen is released !!.
    Chris Robert's has turned what viewed in his own eyes and easy great game incoming for under 10 million,yet years later 100's of millions later,still no game...sigh.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,836
    edited April 2018
    Something like FFXIV go would actually be a great idea for MMOs. Gathering runs are the worst.
    Post edited by Aeander on
    SetzerSilvantor
  • UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,530
    SBFord said:

DMKano said:

Be sure to go to the WoW site for the new micro holidays. It's a crack up.

https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-us/news/21655807

Oh and this too:

Buha ha ha ha ha that is EPIC! 

GW2 has bunny mounts.. so can't wait to see what they have planned today.
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

• DijonCyanideDijonCyanide Member UncommonPosts: 586
    edited April 2018
    For Star Trek Online Cryptic has brought back the Artisanal Audio function again.

Optional of course at the click of a button for those non-fans.

Otherwise I don't think anything new. Here is an official link when they first introduced it describing it: http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/10453933-the-artisanal-sonification-system-is-here
  • AlpiusAlpius Member UncommonPosts: 247

fs23otm said:

Rift .... There is no fall damage in game anymore.... except today the Devs turned it back on.

A lot of deaths going down lol...

This has been a lot of fun so far... except everyone in the guild are warning people... now that just no fun at all :/
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002

DMKano said:

Though I admit, I totally forgot about April Fool's day or even that we were close to the end of April when I saw the Black Desert Announcement.

Pretty funny to me.
    ConstantineMerus
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • Jamar870Jamar870 Member UncommonPosts: 570
    Well if you want to talk about a gag that really can get you unless you're sharp. The one Saturday Nite Live pull a number of years ago was pretty darn good. They fake a commerical for cereal. The name of the cereal was "QUARRY".  The give away at the begining was one easily recognize cast members. The joke part was everyone was sitting down to eat a bowl of limestone gravel.  The line they put in for the "cereal" was "Quarry, all natural because it's mined"

• MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    EQ1 changed the system font for everything in game.  It's a cutesy font that looks a bit cursive.  That really doesn't work for buttons and menus.   Worse yet, any changes made to the chat windows reverts back to the default system font every time the character zones or logs out.  It's a bit annoying for anyone with visual issues.

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• ianicusianicus Member UncommonPosts: 665
    not sure if its been said, in STO there are new "Artisanal Audio" effects for the UI (opening and closing windows etc) pretty funny stuff, best ones are when clicking on the red alert from sector space haha
    "Well let me just quote the late-great Colonel Sanders, who said…’I’m too drunk to taste this chicken." - Ricky Bobby