Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Amazon Game Studios Announces Development Has Ceased - Breakaway - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited March 2018 in News & Features Discussion

imageAmazon Game Studios Announces Development Has Ceased - Breakaway - MMORPG.com

Breakaway News - Amazon Game Studios has finally fessed up to what pretty much everyone already knew: Breakaway is no more. This is hardly surprising given the number of months since any word was heard from the development team, but it is significant given it was AGS's first foray into the games market.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    Well, not surprised, really. Let's hope better comes out of AGS for New World. *crosses fingers*
    Truvidien88MadFrenchieNoxiousBassLaviotakazcaPottedPlant22UngoodwingoodConstantineMerusScotty787

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    Next stop: "Amazon Game Studio Shuts Down"
    SeelinnikoiMargraveGolelornUngoodDJStavrosjgDuffayJeroKaneScotty787
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • AlverantAlverant Member RarePosts: 1,320
    To the surprise of no one. Good luck to those who worked hard on the project.
    wingood
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    edited March 2018
    I'm more curious as to who honestly thought it would be successful in the first place. Nothing against the studio but the concept was weak and the presentation even weaker. Most people only cared about New World anyway, so hopefully this will allow them to speed it up.
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,168
    edited March 2018

Next stop: "Amazon Game Studio Shuts Down"

Naw, I think they figured out that the market is just too saturated with the types of games they were intending to make; beyond the MMO, and really didn't promote any type of longevity as far as a consumer base. I thought that as well to be honest so smart move on them. They aren't the only studio lately to start, stop and redirect their projects. At this point studios are trying to figure out what players want in games and as development costs soar. They are less inclined to waste time developing disposable products, the market is less interested in that.

Based on what Amazon game studios said in a recent statement, the MMO is still in full production, and those videos that popped up a few months back were a very old iterations of that work shown as a proof of concept to a focus group. This means they are miles ahead of what was shown of it already and most likely putting more resources on that endeavor. It could still indeed be canceled, but as of what we know now it's still in development.
    mgilbrtsn
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• hikaru77hikaru77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,123
    Played the game in a few betas, it was............bored, really bored. Sadly that's the best way to describe it. Not a surprise.
  • CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412
    Good thing I decided not to join Amazon Studios then.
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    Well out of Activision Blizzard's cabcellation came Overwatch - so who knows.

No suggestion of the studio closing down. No word about staff either - not seen anything posted so this could simply be Amazon moving on, treating this as part of the learning process.

A less well funded studio would (probably) have had to push the game out regardless of course in an effort to recover some costs.
    Thupli
  • DecardCainDecardCain Member UncommonPosts: 45
    Gamedev is too competitive. They simply didn't have enough resources.
  • MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    I wonder if the game and concept were totally trash, or did this fail because of the development staff.  Almost any concept *can* be made into a respectable game.  So, did this fail due to talent, resources (time and money) or scope?  I'd love to see what Amazon thought the problem was.

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

DMKano said:
    Mendel said:
    I wonder if the game and concept were totally trash, or did this fail because of the development staff.  Almost any concept *can* be made into a respectable game.  So, did this fail due to talent, resources (time and money) or scope?  I'd love to see what Amazon thought the problem was.

"I wonder if the game and concept were totally trash"

Bingo.
    Amazon didn't outright reject the concept, after all, they agreed to publish it.  I would like to know what changed their mind.

If it was a staff over-selling their ability to deliver something, that might spill over to other projects.  Even if it was the guy that green-lit this one, that's a sign that the person with control of the money may not be able to distinguish 'good' from 'bad' when it comes to games.

• AriesTigerAriesTiger Member UncommonPosts: 444
    They were giving away too much free stuff to the common people.
  • kaz350kaz350 Member UncommonPosts: 130
    I love online games as a service but there can only be so many of them, there is just no way they would be able to capture that market from the big dogs with this game. And unfrouantley for them gamer time is a very limited resource.
  • ThupliThupli Member RarePosts: 1,318
    edited April 2018

SBFord said:

Well, not surprised, really. Let's hope better comes out of AGS for New World. *crosses fingers*

I'm actually hoping that they are working on something more like a gw 1.5 with a level creator like since they have so many old gw1 devs... Sort of a cross with Minecraft.
  • k61977k61977 Member EpicPosts: 1,503
    Always sad to see a game get shut down, really sad to never see them even finish one, but did we really need another arena game in a market that is already over-saturated.
  • KiwiHypeKiwiHype Member UncommonPosts: 233
    edited April 2018
    I enjoyed playing Breakaway in its early stages but was surprised they had a competitive scene set up so fast without first cementing the concept. I didn't enjoy the game for too long though because there was no skill/strategy to knocking the "ball" out of anyone's hand. Characters were also too rinse repeat of so many other games in the competitive scene and that competitive scene being set up so fast took out a lot of discussion and fun for new players - at least in my experience.

Here's hoping they have learned from Breakaway to move forward completely with Crucible and New World. New World especially because I am so curious how Amazon will develop an open world game.

• AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,839
    The game just wasn't good. At all.
  • MandaloreMandalore Member UncommonPosts: 131
    Good to hear (bad for the devs) - but it was a weak game in a saturated market. I never had fun playing it.

Let's hope that New World will be much better ...

-------------------------------------
     Playing: Overwatch, Genshin Impact, Black Desert Mobile, Hundred Soul, Cyberpunk 2077
     Inactive: WAR, DAoC, RIFT, GW1/2, TSW, Age of Wulin, Black Desert, Blade & Soul, Skyforge

• PottedPlant22PottedPlant22 Member RarePosts: 800
    Mendel said:
    I would like to know what changed their mind.
    Smite, PUBG, Fortnite.  Game needed to be as good, if not better.
    MikotoMisaka
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    I see a lot of people jumping on my bandwagon...get off you free loaders.
    I never had ANY confidence in this quick start money grab,yet if i remember i could have sworn most were singing praises all over the place.

Show me Tanaka or show me the guys who made Half Life ,then i will have some super confidence,otherwise all i see now a days is a lot of trash ..a LOT of trash.So much trash i might have to stock up on garbage tags for next curbside collection.
    FlyByKnight

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• BruceYeeBruceYee Member EpicPosts: 2,556
    Usually when a company loses a shit ton of money they start scrapping what is least valuable to them and unfortunately for all of us that's their game development department. They've been at it for YEARS and not produced a single game. Any small amount of hope I had left for New World is now completely gone. By the looks of it with all that has been revealed lately all these extra projects were able to be funded because they pay no federal tax but that may soon change.
  • JunglecharlyJunglecharly Member UncommonPosts: 167
    Those Amazonian asses ruined my favorite game!
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,992
    I never bother with games until they are out, and that gives you the safest prediction of all. :)
    rodingoKyleran
  • Musket-SquidMusket-Squid Member UncommonPosts: 386

DMKano said:

Breakaway was seriously a complete shite concept - any reputable game studio would have killed this before even assigning a single developer resource to it.

Can't believe how cringy this was:

Oh and yeah I called this out immediately as being a total miss.

Thread from September 2016 - there is someone in there who actually said that it looked amazing - lol

https://forums.mmorpg.com/discussion/456802/amazon-game-studios-breakaway-is-a-competitive-brawler-mmorpg-com-news

Here is your cookie.

How many delicate flowers have you met in Counterstrike?

I got a case of beer and a chainsaw waiting for me at home after work.

DMKano said:

Mendel said:

DMKano said:

Mendel said:

"I wonder if the game and concept were totally trash"

Bingo.

Amazon didn't outright reject the concept, after all, they agreed to publish it.  I would like to know what changed their mind.

If it was a staff over-selling their ability to deliver something, that might spill over to other projects.  Even if it was the guy that green-lit this one, that's a sign that the person with control of the money may not be able to distinguish 'good' from 'bad' when it comes to games.

Amazon didnt have experienced devs to approve game design ideas.

<snip>.

Yet, someone did actually approve this game.  I just hope the same decision makers aren't/weren't responsible for the same decision for New World.  I don't know that Breakaway's closure inspires many to trust in the Amazon Development management team.  Developers rarely approve the spending of corporate money.

If the person who gave Breakaway a go is the same to give New World its go signal, that may be a problem.  If it's the same person, as you suggested that whoever approved these projects doesn't really have a clue.  To me, it throws doubt at all ADS projects until they have proven that they don't fund games willy-nilly without some understanding of the market.

Something in the management process went very wrong when they agreed to fund Breakaway, I think we can agree on that.  Whether they didn't understand what they were paying for; or they didn't recognize the product was likely to be inferior to competitive products; or they overestimated the ability of the developers to create something from a messy concept; it doesn't really matter.  Amazon needs to shore up that part of their process if they want to be a serious developer.

I doubt even Amazon has enough money to hemorrhage cash at every game idea that comes along.  I fully believe that they intend to keep their money.