Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Around the Verse - The Sounds of Science - Star Citizen Videos - MMORPG.com

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited March 2018 in Videos Discussion

imageAround the Verse - The Sounds of Science - Star Citizen Videos - MMORPG.com

The latest Star Citizen: Around the Verse is now out, this week focused on how audio is an integral part of the game. There is also a check in with LA Studio Director Eric Kieron Davis to give viewers a heads up about what the team has been working on most recently.

Read the full story here

Comments

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,981
    edited March 2018
    Following on from my comments about how rarely we see up close faces in a MMORPG, which leads to the question: whats the point in such detailed customization.

Here that question is even more relevant, when does anyone but you get to see your face, indeed your avatar in any way?
  • Tiamat64Tiamat64 Member RarePosts: 1,545
    Scot said:
    Following on from my comments about how rarely we see up close faces in a MMORPG, which leads to the question: whats the point in such detailed customization.

Here that question is even more relevant, when does anyone but you get to see your face, indeed your avatar in any way?

It's not really particularly relevant at all, but they gotta produce something for the backers and give those artists something to do while they continue to hope they find some network engineers for those network engineer positions they've had open for like, ever, and finally finish that network code that they've been mentioning was almost done ever since version 2.6.

Without the core network code ready, working on actual core mechanics like AI and mining and anything that would make SC more than just a walking driving simulator would be kinda semi-pointless.

Or perhaps they have a team that's simply mostly artists and thus incapable of programming much else.  But hey, it's shiny and helps keep the funding going to keep them afloat to hopefully last long enough to maybe someday get a breakthrough and actually have an actual semblance of a game put together. (Don't worry, according to Chris, if they run out of funds, they can just produce and sell Squadron 42 for more money)
  • MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    edited March 2018
    Scot said:

Character customization tends to be one of the main features of MMO's and
    something that turns away players quite easily if doesn't live to expectations. Just see BDO, and one way or the other we're never seeing the character face, just its back when on 3rd person, people still love it tho and it was a huge selling point of the game.

This character customizer is actually way more simple because it works with pre-sets, it's not giving yet the ability to modify elements in a face.
    Scot
  • IceAgeIceAge Member EpicPosts: 3,120
    Oh boy, they will be so .. late with this game (2025), that they will keep saying "We need extra time! We have this new tech which will give us a super boost in development time frame. Just wait few more years, pl0x"

Oh wait, why I'm commenting on this CGI demo wannabe game ?!

Reporter: What's behind Blizzard success, and how do you make your gamers happy?
    Blizzard Boss: Making gamers happy is not my concern, making money.. yes!

• ZandogZandog Member UncommonPosts: 97
    edited March 2018

IceAge said:

Oh wait, why I'm commenting on this CGI demo wannabe game ?!

Because you want to feel justified.?
    tannim78
    Every time Goonsquad/SA/DS post salt on Star Citizen, I spend more money on it. Every time a mentally disturbed former backer or Elite CMDR toxic emo comments, I spend more money on it. Every time they refuse to answer why they spend so much time arguing about a game they don't even like, I spend more money on it. Want to watch the world burn because you can't have your way? You got whats coming to you.
  • DAS1337DAS1337 Member UncommonPosts: 2,610
    Face over IP. There is technology to track your facial expressions in real life, and transmit them via the display unit in your ship(or anywhere deemed appropriate). So you essentially can attach a face to the voice. Other games don't have this. There is definitely going to be (based on ship designs) a crew-like feel to SC, rather than the solo/lone wolf feel like Elite Dangerous. You'll be up close and personal in non-combat situations on a regular basis. Not that you can't spend your entire day in a spaceship, by yourself, playing shoot-em-up. I honestly expect nothing less than one of the best character customizers to date, based on the high fidelity that they are trying to achieve throughout the design of all of their other systems.

If you actually don't want to sound like an idiot, try going to their website and looking into some of the things that they are doing. You won't see a lot of these things in any other game out there. For example, procedural generated city covered planets. Nevermind having planets that you can fly to, enter the atmosphere, touch down, get out, and so on. If you can wrap your head around what exactly they are trying to accomplish (regardless of whether you believe they will succeed), you should be able to recognize that it's simply never been done before. And it's likely to take longer than anyone even expects.
  • LurvLurv Member UncommonPosts: 409

Scot said:

Because a big portion of players in our MMO communities WANT customization. People want to personalize their characters. Me personally I will walk up to someone's toon and check them out if they look cool. I have appreciation for players who take that time to be creative.
    gervaise1

Getting too old for this $&17!

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,981

Lurv said:

Scot said:

Because a big portion of players in our MMO communities WANT customization. People want to personalize their characters. Me personally I will walk up to someone's toon and check them out if they look cool. I have appreciation for players who take that time to be creative.

I agree with this, but I am puzzled how you can even do that in this game. Can your avatar walk around or something? I thought players were in space ships.
  • DurzaxDurzax Member UncommonPosts: 87
    @Scot,

All in game avatars are fully 3d models with all of the animation rigging that comes with, so not just a ship. this is Ivo Herzog's presentation on how CIG are doing Inverse Kinematics.
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    edited March 2018
    Scot said:

No body made a big deal about it at all in Mass Effect Andromeda. Oh wait .......

Do they need to go "this far"? Maybe not. However its clear that a given level of detail is required to avoid negativity. (I doubt we will see a CoH "buzz" again these days hence the term avoiding negativity.) And I do agree with @Lurv that there are a lot of people interested in how their characters look - must be given how many costumes, tatoos etc. are available in cash shops.

And after doing "enough" - whatever that level is since its not defined of course - the extra work needed to e.g. allow people to change eye colour - once you have the mechanisms in place to change other details (I assume you would want some level of customization) - will be trivial. So why not?

Scot
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Like someone said, detailed customization would come in handy for face over IP.  Probably.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• InebriatedSkunkInebriatedSkunk Member UncommonPosts: 66

Scot said:

Lurv said:

Scot said:

I agree with this, but I am puzzled how you can even do that in this game. Can your avatar walk around or something? I thought players were in space ships.

You play a character, not a ship. You can get out of the seat, walk around, shoot guns, drive land vehicles, etc. They even plan the interior of large ships like the Starfarer and Reclaimer for FPS combat as well as utility.
  • ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297
    @Scot

Elite Dangerous and EVE Online are ship only, not avatars. Maybe you meant those games.

In E:D you can see your avatar sitting in the cockpit, but you cannot walk around.

In EVE you can walk around your personal quarters in a station with your avatar, but you cannot leave your appartment. Its for show only, no interaction of avatars with other avatars possible.

Have fun
    Scot