Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What's Coming in Release 53? We're Glad You Asked! - Shroud of the Avatar - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited March 2018 in News & Features Discussion

imageWhat's Coming in Release 53? We're Glad You Asked! - Shroud of the Avatar - MMORPG.com

Shroud of the Avatar News - The Shroud of the Avatar site has been updated with a forward look at the game's Top 10 development goals, but also with a forward looking peek at what's coming in Release 53 that is slated to go live on April 26th. Release 53 is the first post-launch update and contains both new features, polish and iterations on existing features.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• JakeSimJakeSim Member RarePosts: 883
    I liked the game initially, but it's really poorly optimized and obviously seems to lack a population which feels like it wont even be sustained.
    LeFantomeBruceYee
    Please come check out my stream. All the love is appreciated! 

TWITCH: @JakeSimTV
  • ElvocElvoc Member RarePosts: 546
    So I finally logged in after waiting several months for things to finish up with development and it really seems like the game has come a long way but sadly the community is way over the hype and moved on. Most of us that backed this game and have been playing since it first was available have moved on and are happy to just come back and play offline when we need something to play between releases of other games. This game really took to long to get out of the gate and was just to late to the game.. My guess is the online community will basically just fade away in the next few months no matter what they add...
    AlomarZeneren
  • itsoveritsover Member UncommonPosts: 353
    would this game be good for local coop game ?

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,992
    Keeping an eye on it, nothing more, maybe see something viable in winter at this rate.
    Kyleranobii
  • Vorch21Vorch21 Member UncommonPosts: 58
    It is still necessary to rework animation/interface/character and equpment design
    and of course need more group and guild content+ maybe more activities on map(multilocational type)
  • LeFantomeLeFantome Member RarePosts: 692
    That game is mess.
    Still in beta and got relaunch few days ago for money purposes..
    Plus, the game is still empty. Nobody is playing .
    KyleranMrMelGibsonIce-Queen

• SephrosSephros Member UncommonPosts: 429
    edited March 2018
    Steam reports I have 835 hours in the game. Still enjoy it. I like the many different options to play. Mostly just stay in friends online and we do stuff together. I don't really consider this an mmo, but it is fun to go into multiplayer mode every once in a while and hang out with other people
    MrMelGibsonVladamirBegemot

Error: No Keyboard Detected!
    Press F1 to continue......

• VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749
    I logged in yesterday to give it one last try.  It was just as empty and uninspiring as I found it several months ago.  I feel that I have wasted my money as a founder, but I just can't motivate myself to play such a lackluster game.  I'm sorry, but I don't feel that Garriott put any real heart or effort into this game.  It fails as a game and as a successor to Ultima Online.
    BruceYeeIce-QueenLeFantome

• YaevinduskYaevindusk Member RarePosts: 2,094
    edited March 2018
    I think a lot of people are still associating this with an "MMO" when it was -- to my knowledge -- never marketed such.  In fact, I think they went out of their way to say it wasn't.  Or that it was a new or revitalized way to go about online play.

That said, considering this game has an "offline" mode where you just play the storyline and an "Online Single Player" mode where you are able to take said character to the "Friends World" or "Public World"... Much of the criticism it receives is, in my opinion, unwarranted.

But I guess that's the result of people having expectations and tying a franchise or big name in the past to a game.  I got the game free and played a few hours, as well as watched others play.  Honestly, I can definitely see people having fun with it in their most enjoyed modes (though I have too much on my plate and won't be continuing any time soon).  Going into the game expecting to see a lot of people is just thinking of it as an MMO.  Though I suppose the new Looking for Group tool they are planning to add is a response to those types of people.

This is a case where I think people are just being dumb, or letting outside influence dictate what they think about something.  Many citing criticism with the way they handled funding the game or had "begathons" during development.  As well as letting their own imaginations ruin what the game is versus to who they were thinking it would be due to overactive thoughts, memories of past games and overactive imaginations.  As well as many just not understanding what "Early Development" or "Early Access means."  Though I won't get into the whole "Persistence = release" debate as there are good points on both sides.  But as a whole, that only works if the game is marketed as a 100% MMO in the first place -- which this is not.  One could easily try to review the offline mode and it will still be Early Access.

Performance is definitely a problem if people aren't able to run it well.  Especially now that it is released.  Though I think people being stupid kind of hurt them in the long run when it came to the development of the game.  Some of those who hate it would probably even enjoy this game if it came out of now where and just released without any names or spiritual successors attached.
    VladamirBegemot
    Due to frequent travel in my youth, English isn't something I consider my primary language (and thus I obtained quirky ways of writing).  German and French were always easier for me despite my family being U.S. citizens for over a century.  Spanish I learned as a requirement in school, Japanese and Korean I acquired for my youthful desire of anime and gaming (and also work now).  I only debate in English to help me work with it (and limit things).  In addition, I'm not smart enough to remain fluent in everything and typically need exposure to get in the groove of things again if I haven't heard it in a while.  If you understand Mandarin, I know a little, but it has actually been a challenge and could use some help.

Also, I thoroughly enjoy debates and have accounts on over a dozen sites for this.  If you wish to engage in such, please put effort in a post and provide sources -- I will then do the same with what I already wrote (if I didn't) as well as with my responses to your own.  Expanding my information on a subject makes my stance either change or strengthen the next time I speak of it or write a thesis.  Allow me to thank you sincerely for your time.
  • GhavriggGhavrigg Member RarePosts: 1,308
    edited March 2018
    JakeSim said:
    I liked the game initially, but it's really poorly optimized and obviously seems to lack a population which feels like it wont even be sustained.
    I've run into a good amount of people. A problem I have though, is that I'll be there with them, thinking I'm being ignored or they're afk or something, then I'll run off and realize the chat wasn't even up 'cause the thing loves to hide even though I've disabled auto-hide when it's not in use. Then I feel dumb when I realize and notice someone said hi, or thanks, or waved, and I just ran off without a clue. The chat bubbles and emotes don't exactly come through the best, though, either, or I might've noticed these things. Vast majority of players I've seen have been on the trial, though, since they had "[Visitor]" above their names.

That being said, I don't expect the game to have a huge population, but apparently they just started actually advertising for the game, and there's a 15% steam sale that I find weird, because it's $45 brought down to $38.??, then on their actual site, it's just $39 with no mention of a sale. 

I'll likely get bored pretty quick, too, but at least they said they'll be having somewhat large monthly updates, that they say they'll continue to improve optimization with, so it's something to screw around on that should be consistently updated pretty quickly, so whatever.

• VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749
    I think a lot of people are still associating this with an "MMO" when it was -- to my knowledge -- never marketed such.  In fact, I think they went out of their way to say it wasn't.  Or that it was a new or revitalized way to go about online play.

That said, considering this game has an "offline" mode where you just play the storyline and an "Online Single Player" mode where you are able to take said character to the "Friends World" or "Public World"... Much of the criticism it receives is, in my opinion, unwarranted.

But I guess that's the result of people having expectations and tying a franchise or big name in the past to a game.  I got the game free and played a few hours, as well as watched others play.  Honestly, I can definitely see people having fun with it in their most enjoyed modes (though I have too much on my plate and won't be continuing any time soon).  Going into the game expecting to see a lot of people is just thinking of it as an MMO.  Though I suppose the new Looking for Group tool they are planning to add is a response to those types of people.

This is a case where I think people are just being dumb, or letting outside influence dictate what they think about something.  Many citing criticism with the way they handled funding the game or had "begathons" during development.  As well as letting their own imaginations ruin what the game is versus to who they were thinking it would be due to overactive thoughts, memories of past games and overactive imaginations.  As well as many just not understanding what "Early Development" or "Early Access means."  Though I won't get into the whole "Persistence = release" debate as there are good points on both sides.  But as a whole, that only works if the game is marketed as a 100% MMO in the first place -- which this is not.  One could easily try to review the offline mode and it will still be Early Access.

Performance is definitely a problem if people aren't able to run it well.  Especially now that it is released.  Though I think people being stupid kind of hurt them in the long run when it came to the development of the game.  Some of those who hate it would probably even enjoy this game if it came out of now where and just released without any names or spiritual successors attached.

The game is marketed for having an Online mode.  It's not expecting too much that it be fun and interesting.  I don't care for the single player game either and didn't find the story or gameplay compelling either.

• YaevinduskYaevindusk Member RarePosts: 2,094
    edited March 2018

The game is marketed for having an Online mode.  It's not expecting too much that it be fun and interesting.  I don't care for the single player game either and didn't find the story or gameplay compelling either.

I haven't tried the online modes.  Though a post above ours says that they have a lot of fun playing online with friends.  Who is right between the two of you?

Though it is reasonable to ask for a feature to be fun and enjoyable.  I'm just wondering who is right when people who do find it fun online with the friends they made or had are saying things the opposite of what those who are not having fun.

What quantifies it?

I suppose the perception of population for the "public" type of server?
    Due to frequent travel in my youth, English isn't something I consider my primary language (and thus I obtained quirky ways of writing).  German and French were always easier for me despite my family being U.S. citizens for over a century.  Spanish I learned as a requirement in school, Japanese and Korean I acquired for my youthful desire of anime and gaming (and also work now).  I only debate in English to help me work with it (and limit things).  In addition, I'm not smart enough to remain fluent in everything and typically need exposure to get in the groove of things again if I haven't heard it in a while.  If you understand Mandarin, I know a little, but it has actually been a challenge and could use some help.

Also, I thoroughly enjoy debates and have accounts on over a dozen sites for this.  If you wish to engage in such, please put effort in a post and provide sources -- I will then do the same with what I already wrote (if I didn't) as well as with my responses to your own.  Expanding my information on a subject makes my stance either change or strengthen the next time I speak of it or write a thesis.  Allow me to thank you sincerely for your time.
  • MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,033
    It's not a terrible looking game, but that picture looks like something you would expect from a game from the 2000s. For those enjoying it, im happy for you.
  • ramdyramdy Member UncommonPosts: 71
    The game left early access few days ago and everybody is questioning its continuity. Anyone with doubts to purchase it (including myself) should go to the safer WOW?

I can see why most dev studios stay away from this genre :disappointed:
  • blorpykinsblorpykins Member RarePosts: 466
    So that's it? Everyone is done talking about commercial launch that only happened a couple days ago? It's already old news and time to start thinking about the next monthly update?

No one is even worried that Steam only shows a few hundred people playing this game? No one is worried that the publishers divided up the community against player wishes? No one cares that many Kickstarter promises haven't been awarded yet and that's not just the digital rewards but all the physical rewards too. This commercial launch was so bad that no one is even willing to review it?

It is easier to redirect everyone to something that may happen in the future, this is how Portalarium managed their entire time in Early Access and now that commercial launch has already happened, the game is so bad that people are afraid to even review it until more work can be done to it. The state of this game right now is such that it is finally ready for Early Access but no, it's commercial release. I'm so happy there is something to look forward to in R53, if the game is still around next month.
    Ice-Queen
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,509
    Torval said:
    So that's it? Everyone is done talking about commercial launch that only happened a couple days ago? It's already old news and time to start thinking about the next monthly update?

No one is even worried that Steam only shows a few hundred people playing this game? No one is worried that the publishers divided up the community against player wishes? No one cares that many Kickstarter promises haven't been awarded yet and that's not just the digital rewards but all the physical rewards too. This commercial launch was so bad that no one is even willing to review it?

It is easier to redirect everyone to something that may happen in the future, this is how Portalarium managed their entire time in Early Access and now that commercial launch has already happened, the game is so bad that people are afraid to even review it until more work can be done to it. The state of this game right now is such that it is finally ready for Early Access but no, it's commercial release. I'm so happy there is something to look forward to in R53, if the game is still around next month.
    Most of us aren't that deeply involved in the meta drama or even care. You want drama obviously, like those freaks who obsess over CIG and every move they make. If you were less worried about drama you'd see the site did a review of the game. You can find it under reviews.
    Shhh, don't disrupt the hyperbole with evidence to the contrary, you'll disrupt the "drama."
    [Deleted User]blorpykins

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• blorpykinsblorpykins Member RarePosts: 466
    @Torval @Kyleran

Where Star Citizen shows progress, mechanics, IP, and momentum Shroud is doing monthly telethons, censoring, banning, and hyping a launch that actually happened in 2016.  All the money backers gave them five years ago and they haven't delivered on physical rewards - which I'm pretty sure is enough to get them sued since there is established precedence on delivering physical goods promised during Kickstarter.  They can weasel out of all the rest of it, but the physical stuff comes with a guarantee backed by the courts.  I think where Shroud is would be considered a lot different than where Star Citizen is.  Star Citizen is steady making progress on with their game mechanics, whereas Shroud has a lot of Unity assets and 10fps.
    Sephros
    In all fairness, SC is working with an ever increasing budget which stands at $181M and growing, can't really compare the two all that much, outside of the fact both studios have no issue selling in game assets pre-launch to raise money.

One big difference though, SotA is officially launched regardless what anyone may think off it and SC.....well still no indication of when either the Squadron 42 or the full game will reach that status.

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    edited March 2018
    Since the steam post was deleted by I guess Portalarium.
    One new user asked early this week in the discussion section on Steam.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

[has Shroud of the Avatar: Forsaken Virtues] Mar 27 @ 3:03pm
    Who dares to release game in such a state?
    I've backed this game 4 years ago, because I loved Ultima Online. Since then Every now and then I've been checking how developers do and everytime the gameplay was bad. But hey i still had hope that it will be playable after the release. WTF? doesn't matter if I use fantastic or fastest graphics preset game runs 15-26 FPS in towns or bigger locations (GPU usage like 30-40%). I just feel truly betrayed and honestly disappointed.

Portalarium [developer] Mar 27 @ 5:19pm
    Hi everyone! We're sorry to hear about the performance problems. We've been working very hard on this are of the game to ensure that the game runs smooth in most situations for modern hardware.

Please feel free to check our min spec requirements to get an idea on the hardware you will need to run with the graphics quality we've added to the game:

https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/?page_id=19#faq_031

Let us know if you have any questions!

----------------------------------------------------------------------

After a few more posts, the thread was deleted or something, it's no longer there. Why delete it?

I know people that play games like BDO, WoW, ESO, and many other modern mmorpg's on PC's they've gotten from Walmart for under $500, runs pretty smoothly, and still looks beautiful. Somehow this game that looks a decade old requires the top of the line hardware to play? It's laughable.

These are the spec requirements https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/?page_id=19#faq_031

Windows

Minimum:

Processor: Quad Core 2.4 GHz or faster
    Memory: 8 GB RAM
    Graphics: DirectX 11 Compatible NVIDIA 960 / AMD 560
    Network: Broadband Internet connection (Not required for Offline Mode)
    Hard Drive: 22 GB available space

Recommended:

Processor: Quad Core 2.8GHz or faster
    Memory: 12 GB RAM
    Graphics: DirectX11 Compatible AMD Radeon R9 / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070
    Hard Drive: SSD

Mac OS X

Minimum:

Recommended:

Processor: 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo (Dual-Core)
    Graphics: DirectX 11 Compatible NVIDIA GTX 1070 / ATI Radeon HD 5870

SteamOS + Linux

Minimum:

OS: Ubuntu 10.10 or newer officially but most linux flavors supported

Recommended:

Processor: Quad Core Processor 2.8GHz or faster
    Graphics: DirectX 11 Compatible NVIDIA GTX 1070 / ATI Radeon HD 5870

Post edited by Ice-Queen on
    LeFantome

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

Quit trying to play MMORPGS on the equivalent of a toaster.

[Deleted User]ScotVladamirBegemot

• Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    edited March 2018
    Kyleran said:

I have a pretty decent rig and it probably still runs just fine on mine, I'm just saying people that can't afford top of the line pc's seem to be able to play many modern games just fine, but for some reason this game that looks over a decade old needs top of the line pcs? How?

It's not just people complaining about it with old pc's either.

https://steamcommunity.com/app/326160/discussions/0/1697169163402050683/

Post edited by Ice-Queen on

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,992
    Ice-Queen said:
    Kyleran said:

I have a pretty decent rig and it probably still runs just fine on mine, I'm just saying people that can't afford top of the line pc's seem to be able to play many modern games just fine, but for some reason this game that looks over a decade old needs top of the line pcs? How?

It's not just people complaining about it with old pc's either.

https://steamcommunity.com/app/326160/discussions/0/1697169163402050683/

SotA should not be taxing your PC, but you really do need to get an upgrade, just saying.
    [Deleted User]
  • PsyckedPsycked Member UncommonPosts: 100
    I really wanted to like this game. I just dropped the $34 this week for launch. However, I think like many MMO's before it it was released way to early.

I am the Cannon Fodder God

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    edited April 2018
    Kyleran said:

Not sure where you're getting this.  Recommended specs list a GTX 1070, a ~$500 video card.  I'm running Far Cry 5 on Ultra with a 970 and averaging 60 FPS.

This game shouldn't take anywhere near a 1070 "recommended" card, based upon the visual fidelity I experienced when I tried the trial.

Optimization is core to any video game experience.  SotA's requirements match Star Citizen's.  That's saying something quite alarming.
    AeanderIce-Queen

• LeFantomeLeFantome Member RarePosts: 692
    All this stuff should be done by now. I wonder if they will release for a third time.
    That would be funny.

polish to Paths of Love, Truth and Courage and the addition of side quests, unique maps and backer NPC conversations
    performance work to improve frame rate and reducing "hitching during gameplay"
    Looking for Group tool
    player crafted gear sold to merchants will appear as loot in the game
    UI polish
    combat balance pass
    player towns and housing updates