Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Selling goods...

Okay, you go out and fight with a group and come back with some goods you want to sell. I am woundering what Sigil is going to do about it. Is there going to be an auction house? I think they shouldnt. Back in EQ1 when everyone went to the Bazaar (back when PoP came into EQ), People would just set up and leave the game for 5 hours selling all there goods. I think that takes away from the game. Maybe making some kind of "Tunnel" aspect that EQ1 had in the commons.I miss that, i remember going to the tunnle and it was like a big social event. I think thats what made EQ1 such a good game b/c the socail aspect in the game was very well done. Making chat servers to sell goods and what not i think kind of kills the game. If everyone knows a place that everyone goes to sell their goods, everyone will go there. What does everyone else think about what they should do for selling your goods to other players and such.

Comments

• TommyKHartTommyKHart Member UncommonPosts: 294
    You will get an npc trader that will sell you items for you. You can dock him at different place in the world. There wont be just one ah or bazzar. There will be many throughout the world because travel will mean something in vg. Also there won't be any global chat, maybe there will be a trader chat tho.
  • SpiritofGameSpiritofGame Member UncommonPosts: 1,332

We’re not too fond of global or centralized selling/buying systems. To us, part of a virtual world is making exotic lands that take time to travel to, have unique items, and allowing merchants and the like to create 'silk roads'... transporting items more common in one region to another, and selling them for more because they're rarer there. Global chat channels, bazaars, and the like take away from a lot of this.

Now, that doesn't mean we don't plan on having player controlled vendors and the like, ala Ultima Online for example, but they should be spread out all over the world. Additionally, we expect players to move their items around with them, with some limitations, either using a horse or a ship as storage (or as a 'mobile bank' per se).
    Source: Official FAQ

The current plan is that you will be able to have a vendor(s). This is an NPC. He belongs to similarly to a pet, horse, etc. He has to be 'docked' in a commercial zone in a player city, possibly subject to restrictions placed by the city owners, but hasn't all been determined.

You can then stock that vendor with items you want to sell and set prices.

Other players can interact with that vendor just as they would a normal NPC merchant and buy things.

The vendor stays on even when you are logged off.

There is no search functionality for players. You have to search the vendors for wares just as you search regular merchants.

Source: Aradune Mithara

~~~

Link to Vanguard FAQ....

http://www.silkyvenom.com/pages/faq.php

BTW, if you have not read Havelock's five-part Fanguard report from last year, you might want to do so.  Even though some of it is undoubtedly outdated, it still has a lot of info to give you a feel for what the game will be like on release....

Link to Havelock's articles....

http://www.silkyvenom.com/forums/showthread.php?t=946

~ Ancient Membership ~

• GluexXxEaterGluexXxEater Member Posts: 35
    I really like this NPC idea, it seems like fun. Might be a pain to find a good item, but then finding a good item won't matter so much about how much money you have, more how able you are to look.

Sorry not sure what happened.

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194

Originally posted by GluexXxEater
    I really like this NPC idea, it seems like fun. Might be a pain to find a good item, but then finding a good item won't matter so much about how much money you have, more how able you are to look.

Exactly that's the whole point, you can be the richest toon on the server and yet you might not have the best gear because you don't know who sells the best gear unless you travel around a bit.

• BlackWhysperBlackWhysper Member Posts: 113
    Wow, i didnt know that. Thanks for the information! ..... thats better then i thought it would be. Im glad there isnt ONE spot everyone sells....this game keeps getting better and better
  • SpiritofGameSpiritofGame Member UncommonPosts: 1,332

Yes, agreed -- I also like this system because it encourages you to explore and try to find the best items at the best prices.

This also makes travel, commerce and caravans important to the game in that it encourages you seek out special players for their good deals.  That's the kind of thing that makes player "reputations" and everybody wants to be known for something.  The best merchants would be known for their rare items or widest selection or huge inventory or cheapest prices -- or whatever.

Just a sidenote:

Just as the Devs have recently said, and I tend to believe, Vanguard won't really become "a world" until after release when a large community inhabits the world.  I can see many of their game systems kicking into action once the player community breathes life into the world.

~ Ancient Membership ~

this also opend up the possibility of special items only available to those who search far and wide where others would not. LIke a GM NPC or something. It would also make for a good guild event.