Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Microsoft: Sea of Thieves is Our 'Fastest-Selling First-Party New IP of This Generation

MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196

Microsoft and Rare have announced more than two million people have played Sea of Thieves in its first week.

The game is also the company's "fastest-selling first-party new IP of this generation" and the "best-selling Microsoft Studios first-party title on Windows 10." This does not include people playing via Xbox Game Pass, according to Aaron Greenberg.

http://www.vgchartz.com/article/275614/ms-sea-of-thieves-is-our-fastest-selling-first-party-new-ip-of-this-generation/

Comments

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    Wonder how many actually purchased the title out of that 2 million?

• tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227
    Better question.. How many new IP´s have they launched this generation..? 

Still it is good to see that gaming still going strong outside of mobile. (even if the latest gen of phones and tablets have shown some fairly impressive games.)
    MadFrenchie[Deleted User]Aethaeryn[Deleted User]

This have been a good conversation

• AzmodeusAzmodeus Member UncommonPosts: 268
    How many copies did No Man's Sky sell??
      OMG I am Ancient!
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,125
    This was just a deflection tactic used to draw attention away from some of the poor reviews this game has received.
    BruceYee
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    #PowerToThePlayers  ;)
  • F2PlagueF2Plague Member UncommonPosts: 232
    This game is a blunder yarrrr..

No but for real. I played the beta, and was bored before the weekend was even over. Refunded despite my friends still wanting to give it a "Fair Shake". Game released they played 2 days and haven't gone back on since. Dodged a $90 dollar bullet by using common sense. Something many gamer's these days seem to lack.

If it feels shallow, its because it is. The game offers nothing of value. Your options are... Waste time gathering chests that mean nothing more than buying new cosmetics. Or waste more time pvp'ing for 0 gain and 0 consequence. The graveyard zerg mechanics were there worst part, fight, die, re-spawn on ship. Rinse and repeat. 

These tweets are a joke. Go back to remastering old Age of Empires games. 
    MikehaSoki123
  • MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    Mikeha said:
    I'll be damned, it achieved what a Star Wars Battlefront title could not!

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Mikeha said:
    Smart of them to delay MT for 3 months and apparently, no loot crates at all - you buy what you want. Nothing for reviewers to focus on initially but the game itself.

https://gamerant.com/sea-of-thieves-will-add-microtransactions-later-908/

MadFrenchie
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    edited March 2018
    A solid question but buried within it is the gem that the game - good or bad - was available on day 1 to holders of an XBox monthly pass: $10/10€ per month.

If Microsoft continue adding a few new games a month the pass could become attractive - although it obviously depends on what games, what "you" like etc. 
    MadFrenchie[Deleted User]
  • F2PlagueF2Plague Member UncommonPosts: 232
    gervaise1 said:
    A solid question but buried within it is the gem that the game - good or bad - was available on day 1 to holders of an XBox monthly pass: $10/10€ per month.

If Microsoft continue adding a few new games a month the pass could become attractive - although it obviously depends on what games, what "you" like etc. 
    Which created endless problems for those who actually purchased the game come launch day. Lock outs for everyone!
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,885
    Torval said:
    tawess said:

Still it is good to see that gaming still going strong outside of mobile. (even if the latest gen of phones and tablets have shown some fairly impressive games.)
    See what happens when I take my tinfoil hat off for a shower? You come in and steal my thoughts. :lol:  You said pretty much exactly what I thought when I read the title.
    You took it off for the shower because of the lightning strikes in the bathroom. I know the hazards of not taking it off all too well.
    [Deleted User]

• AsheramAsheram Member EpicPosts: 5,071
    I am sure glad I waited to buy this game.
  • AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149
    It seems a little misleading to say that the numbers reaching a target was "not including game pass" and then quickly state that over 2 million people played. . which likely did include game pass.  The free trial is two weeks maybe. . I want to know the numbers after that. . more so after a month.

I liked the game and think I would have played about a month except for the fact that I couldn't get it installed.

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

edited March 2018
    kitarad said:
    Torval said:
    tawess said:

See what happens when I take my tinfoil hat off for a shower? You come in and steal my thoughts. :lol:  You said pretty much exactly what I thought when I read the title.
    You took it off for the shower because of the lightning strikes in the bathroom. I know the hazards of not taking it off all too well.
    You jest, but I've actually had an insured at my company get struck by lightning in his shower.  The lightning struck the home, ran into his copper supply lines, out his shower head and into him.

Knocked him out of the shower completely.  He was taken to the hospital with some serious injuries, but recovered.  The copper lines had to be replaced, as did the hole in his roof where the lightning made contact.
    [Deleted User]

edited March 2018
    Iselin said:
    Mikeha said:
    Smart of them to delay MT for 3 months and apparently, no loot crates at all - you buy what you want. Nothing for reviewers to focus on initially but the game itself.

True, from that perspective it makes a lotta sense.  At least it's further proof that lootboxes are starting to pickup steam towards becoming taboo to gamers, if this reasoning proves true.

EDIT- Though I will add that direct MTs can still have an adverse effect on design psychology.  At least it's much harder to hide.

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
      And in Next weeks News .....   ....   ...   Microsoft announces... Sea of Thieves....  has the Fastest dropoff of Player activity of this generation... ... .. . .

Stay tuned for more exciting News ...
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Iselin said:
    Mikeha said:

True, from that perspective it makes a lotta sense.  At least it's further proof that lootboxes are starting to pickup steam towards becoming taboo to gamers, if this reasoning proves true.

EDIT- Though I will add that direct MTs can still have an adverse effect on design psychology.  At least it's much harder to hide.
    I think loot boxes are going the way of the dodo. It may take time but they're tainted as is any company in 2018 that adds them to a game. Those that have had them for a while (I'm looking at you ESO) may get a temporary pass but not for long.

There are a lot of legitimate negative things that can be said about them whereas other types of MT where you buy exactly what you want, even if those things are grossly overpriced, are just seen as normal transactions.

There's not a day that goes by that I'm not thankful to EA for taking it too far on the wrong game and bringing this dirty little gaming secret into mainstream awareness :)
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149
    Torval said:
    gervaise1 said:

Xbox is for sure my next console purchase. I've wrangled over the Switch and and Xbox. I'd like some of the Nintendo exclusives, but the Xbox does more of what I want. The monthly pass adds value to me.
    If Sea of Thieves had longevity I would get the pass just for that and a few other titles based only on the playanywhere games for PC.
    [Deleted User]

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,885
    kitarad said:
    Torval said:
    tawess said:

You jest, but I've actually had an insured at my company get struck by lightning in his shower.  The lightning struck the home, ran into his copper supply lines, out his shower head and into him.

Knocked him out of the shower completely.  He was taken to the hospital with some serious injuries, but recovered.  The copper lines had to be replaced, as did the hole in his roof where the lightning made contact.
    Yikes ! That is scary.

• Soki123Soki123 Member RarePosts: 2,558
    One of the funnest games out there. Say what you want it s growing and with the updates about to come it will continue to.
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    The lose res lose res pvp part sounds pretty off, that being said maybe it’s not that bad and this just be another sign of the rest of the gaming world passing by the dungeon, quest, “don’t force pvp on me” mmorpg.com crowd.
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • Soki123Soki123 Member RarePosts: 2,558
    They ve already said the res pvp part is getting fixed soon. If you have a few friends or just make some in game, it s sooo fun. Could there be more activities yes, will they add more , absolutely. 
    edited March 2018
    kitarad said:
    kitarad said:
    Torval said:
    tawess said:

Yikes ! That is scary.
    Very much so!  Always best to wait til the storm passes before taking a shower. ;)
    Post edited by MadFrenchie on

• AvanahAvanah Member RarePosts: 1,615
    Sorry, Forcing people to use/buy Win 10 for a game....
    Yeah....I'll save my money and stick to Win 7.

[Deleted User]

"My Fantasy is having two men at once...

One Cooking and One Cleaning!"

---------------------------

"A good man can make you feel sexy,

strong and able to take on the whole world...

oh sorry...that's wine...wine does that..."