Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Yes, Jewelry crafting will require you own the Summerset Chapter

IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
New details just posted in a new article on the ESO site:

Throughout Tamriel, you can find new Jewelry Crafting Stations (including set stations) that allow you to create custom jewelry for the current crafted item sets, and you will be able to complete Writs and Master Writs like any other crafting Skill Line. Note that the Summerset Chapter is required to use the new Crafting Stations.

Odd to gate a basic full craft behind optional content although I suppose, it's not any more odd than a new class or BGs as they did with Morrowind or the way WOW gates classes and other things behind their Xpacs.
"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
― CD PROJEKT RED

KyleranMadFrenchie

Comments

• sacredfoolsacredfool Member UncommonPosts: 849
    I was one of the more vocal members of the ESO community about cash shop changes but I am fine with this.

I assume this jewellery would be tradeable making it a non issue.
    Hermod

Originally posted by nethaniah

Seriously Farmville? Yeah I think it's great. In a World where half our population is dying of hunger the more fortunate half is spending their time harvesting food that doesn't exist.

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    I was one of the more vocal members of the ESO community about cash shop changes but I am fine with this.

I assume this jewellery would be tradeable making it a non issue.
    Yeah the crafted stuff should be 100% tradeable.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    See, "optional" content really isn't. 

;)
    Octagon7711Phry

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    edited March 2018
    Torval said:
    Kyleran said:

;)
    This is where ZOS is a master. Some stuff locked behind the box fee, other stuff locked behind the sub, some in the cash shop, and the rest in lootcrate land. In order to get the full meal deal you have to pay into all 4 methods. You don't need everything to enjoy the game, but I still find it annoying how much is about spending money. It's like they studied Perfect World Entertainment and then polished all the rough edges western gamers balk at.
    Cmon nothing was ever “locked behind” a sub. You’ll be able to buy jewelery anywhere, lil grey there. Yes there are some cash shop only cosmetics. 

Pay a sub, get everything the game has to offer except the few CS cosmetics, which you still get monthly gold with a sub to by that stuff!

The only thing I ever spent on ESO was the box and the sub. Did EVERYTHING.

#keepItReal
    JeroKane
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321
    edited March 2018
    Not too different than WoW. Don't buy expansion? Don't get new crafts. Jewelcrafting in WoW was locked if you didn't have the expansion, along with the rest of the expansion features.
    Post edited by TheScavenger on

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

edited March 2018
    Torval said:
    Kyleran said:

;)
    This is where ZOS is a master. Some stuff locked behind the box fee, other stuff locked behind the sub, some in the cash shop, and the rest in lootcrate land. In order to get the full meal deal you have to pay into all 4 methods. You don't need everything to enjoy the game, but I still find it annoying how much is about spending money. It's like they studied Perfect World Entertainment and then polished all the rough edges western gamers balk at.
    I agree with 3 out of 4 of those.

The full meal deal doesn't include loot crates as everything in there is 100% optional to the core game play: even if dressing up your in-game look in unique ways is something one craves, there are literally thousands of unique looks available without ever going near a loot crate.

Most of the extremely rare loot-crate exclusive stuff is mount skins which, IMO, are tacky and over the top that I wouldn't use even if it were free.

The pursuit of those rarities is something beyond the full meal deal.

Edit: Oh I forgot. You're closer than you know about the Perfect World Entertainment connection since the original ZOS hire to run the cash shop back in 2015 came from there :) Heather Powers was also involved and she has been around marketing and advertising in a lot of places including NCsoft, Carbine and My.com.
    [Deleted User]KyleranYashaX

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937
    Iselin said:

Most of the extremely rare loot-crate exclusive stuff is mount skins which, IMO, are tacky and over the top that I wouldn't use even if it were free.

/agreed
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
    A bit more info posted today by ZOS:

Summerset is required to use any Jewelry Crafting Stations found in Tamriel. If you don’t own Summerset, you will still be able to find Jewelry Crafting resource nodes to sell, and you will also be able to purchase crafted jewelry from others. Set jewelry will be BoE, non-set will not be bound. Additionally, you will not be able to deconstruct any jewelry you're currently holding onto prior to Summerset launch.
    We're currently working on a very extensive Jewelry Crafting article that we plan to publish before we start the next PTS cycle, which will hopefully answer a lot more questions.

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/4987268/#Comment_4987268

I guess I can stop hoarding jewelry to deconstruct.

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    edited March 2018
    Its a matter of economics..
    want something, pay for it..

how is this different then the thief skills or dark brotherhood?
    or even the warden clas?

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• Mackaveli44Mackaveli44 Member RarePosts: 708
    It's a feature that's being introduced in the expansion... Makes sense you have to own it. 
    It's a feature that's being introduced in the expansion... Makes sense you have to own it. 
    In one way it does: if you think that anything that a developer chooses to include in one belongs there.

It's not a big deal for me because I've already pre-ordered Summerset but from the point of view of wondering which things belong in the base game and which don't, I still find it odd that something as basic as crafting set jewelry which will be part of sets that can be crafted by anyone was chosen as a Summerset feature and not as a base addition.

I see a difference between carving out zones or a class or a skill line or even a game mode (as they did with Battlegrounds) behind additional paid content and a basic craft. It just seems like an odd choice to me. It's got that "well shit there's not enough in this chapter let's throw jewelry crafting into it too" kind of vibe to it.

The fact that harvesting the nodes is not part of it and anyone can harvest those nodes makes it, IMO, seem that much more like a last minute thing. I mean it's not like they don't have the capacity to wall-off nodes if they really wanted to make it an exclusive Summerset thing. Thief trove nodes can only be harvested by those with access to the Thieve's Guild DLC. They could have easily done the same with the new jewelry crafting nodes.

IDK... it just feels like a bit of kludge to me.
    [Deleted User]YashaXgervaise1

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

edited March 2018
    Iselin said:
    In one way it does: if you think that anything that a developer chooses to include in one belongs there.

It's not a big deal for me because I've already pre-ordered Summerset but from the point of view of wondering which things belong in the base game and which don't, I still find it odd that something as basic as crafting set jewelry which will be part of sets that can be crafted by anyone was chosen as a Summerset feature and not as a base addition.

I see a difference between carving out zones or a class or a skill line or even a game mode (as they did with Battlegrounds) behind additional paid content and a basic craft. It just seems like an odd choice to me. It's got that "well shit there's not enough in this chapter let's throw jewelry crafting into it too" kind of vibe to it.

The fact that harvesting the nodes is not part of it and anyone can harvest those nodes makes it, IMO, seem that much more like a last minute thing. I mean it's not like they don't have the capacity to wall-off nodes if they really wanted to make it an exclusive Summerset thing. Thief trove nodes can only be harvested by those with access to the Thieve's Guild DLC. They could have easily done the same with the new jewelry crafting nodes.

I am waiting to see more of the expansion before preordering it.  Morrowind was painfully small to be labeled an "expansion" and honestly think it was highway robbery.  If you have any experience with Everquest 2, you'd know what I mean when I say that Morrowind felt a lot like EQ2's expansions(Recent "expansions", kunark felt like its last true expansioN).  Felt more like just a large patch.  I sure as shit hope Summerset isn't the same.  They already said its just 1 zone again but larger.  That doesn't sit well with me to start with. 
    Iselin said:

I am waiting to see more of the expansion before preordering it.  Morrowind was painfully small to be labeled an "expansion" and honestly think it was highway robbery.  If you have any experience with Everquest 2, you'd know what I mean when I say that Morrowind felt a lot like EQ2's expansions(Recent "expansions", kunark felt like its last true expansioN).  Felt more like just a large patch.  I sure as shit hope Summerset isn't the same.  They already said its just 1 zone again but larger.  That doesn't sit well with me to start with. 
    As I've said many times, I don't consider Chapters expansions. I think of them as the slightly beefier DLC each year that you can't buy with crowns and isn't included in ESO+.

It may be just me but I remember expansions in the MMOs I played 10 or 20 years ago as being significantly beefier than ESO Chapters.

ZOS itself avoids calling chapters expansions and they go out of their way to correct anyone who does.

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

Iselin said:
    Iselin said:

As I've said many times, I don't consider Chapters expansions. I think of them as the slightly beefier DLC each year that you can't buy with crowns and isn't included in ESO+.

It may be just me but I remember expansions in the MMOs I played 10 or 20 years ago as being significantly beefier than ESO Chapters.

ZOS itself avoids calling chapters expansions and they go out of their way to correct anyone who does.
    That's because expansions some years ago actually consisted of a lot more stuff than the shit we get today.  Regardless of what it's called, these "chapters" are in fact "expansions" but just weak versions of ones that you and I are used to.   
  • ScotchUpScotchUp Member UncommonPosts: 228
    edited March 2018
    So many other issues with ESO, no reason to get upset about this, seen it done with other games. Just normal to me. Love the game, buy it and play. The End
    “The reason I talk to myself is because I’m the only one whose answers I accept.”
    George Carlin
  • YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 3,098
    I still love the game and this doesn't make me want to stop playing it, but the way it is being monetized is gradually making it seem closer to something like Rift, which has been derided as p2w by many people. 

Personally I don't think this (or Rift) is particularly p2w, but the value of what I am paying for with my sub seems to be diminishing more and more over time, and I don't like that. Its getting to that tipping point where it seems they are trying to have their cake and eat it too, which was something that really annoyed me with ArcheAge.

Also the free inclusion of Morrowind, while I think is a good move because BGs will definitely benefit from a larger population (and it sure sweetens the deal if you don't have MW), seems something of a slap in the face to those who have already forked out $50 or whatever it was to buy it in the past. Surely they could have chucked in a free character slot or something for those of us who already have Morrowind?

[Deleted User]
    And the details of all 9 traits that jewelry will now have are out (copied from reddit with Ixtyr's comments):

Jewelry Crafting introduces 6 new Traits, plus the three core traits we’ve been accustomed to:
    Arcane: Adds 870 Max Magicka
    Healthy: Adds 957 Max Health
    Robust: Adds 870 Max Stamina
    Triune: Adds 435 Max Health, Magicka & Stamina
    • This is basically a Tri-Stat Enchant for your Jewelry, except as a Trait. Pretty nifty.
    Protective: Adds 1,844 Physical & Spell Resistance
    • I don’t like this Trait, it feels like a waste. We requested ZOS change this to something that would not already be something we easily cap out on as a Tank, like something along the lines of Block Mitigation, Healing Done or Healing Received. We’ll see what happens when this hits PTS.
    Swift: Increases Movement Speed by 10%
    • I love that we have a trait that provides utility but isn’t necessarily a direct increase to combat stats. This trait is still restricted by the in-game movement speed cap, but it’s nice and should be interesting both for combat builds and utility builds.
    Harmony: Increases the potency of Damage, Healing, Recovery & Damage Shields granted by Synergies by 35%
    • We didn’t really get a chance to test this thoroughly, but I think we could see a good use for it in meticulously-well-theorycrafted groups in both PvE and PvP where Synergy use is maximized.
    Infused: Increases the potency of this item’s Enchantment by 60%
    On paper, this seemed like it could be broken. However, In PvE with Damage glyphs, it actually didn’t perform much better than existing traits for raid-debuffed DPS parses (within 1-2%). Where this trait becomes interesting is with things like Cost Reduction enchantments - the effective cost reduction granted by one piece with the Infused trait works out to ~600 Cost Reduction, which is massive. Running three Cost Reduction Glyphs on Infused Jewelry along with the Alteration Mastery set, I was able to get my Force Pulses to cost about ~800 Magicka per cast, although damage was pitiful.
    I see this trait as being incredibly useful for newer players, players with low CP, or players with resource management issues - one Infused Cost Reduction piece should be enough to fix most resource issues in PvE DPS scenarios, without having to sacrifice too much damage.
    Bloodthirsty: Increase all damage you do to the target when it is below 25% health by 20%
    This trait, again, seems a lot better on paper than it is in practice. You give up a lot of damage by choosing this trait for the first 75% of damage in a fight, but the damage you do during the last 25% is beyond bonkers. Gilliam was regularly getting Killers Blade crits over 100K on raid-debuffed dummies, plus all other damage he was doing was also buffed. The actual parse values were slightly ahead of both Robust and Infused, but he said it felt a bit like it might just be a “dummy-cheese” situation. We’ll need more testing here to see how viable this is.

And the mats required for some of the new traits are being localized to specific zones or events:

Each trait stone is sourced through different means (similar to Nirncrux being only available in Craglorn). For example, to gain trait stones for the Infused trait, you’ll need to do daily quests or events by killing mobs in Summerset, you’ll need to do Cyrodiil Dailies to get Bloodthirsty gear and traitstones, and Harmony can only be sourced by completing the weekly Trial 

gervaise1

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

Torval said:
    I hate that they put the augment stones in certain zones or play areas to get you to buy, play, or participate in something you're not interested in at the moment (or at all). MMO devs have this insane need to try and control players to squeeze the most out of their design dollars. It's kludgy and it shows.
    True. But it's spreading the economic part around to different groups: the trials people get one exclusive to them, one exclusive to Cyrodiil and one for Summerset questers. And when you look at the traits and what they do, the theme kind of fits with the kind of activity where those 3 traits are most useful. They can all be sold to anyone.

The "anyone can harvest even if they can't craft jewelry" part makes a bit more sense now.

I've always considered it a bit of PITA that Nirncrux only drops off Craglorn resource nodes... this is more of the same.
    [Deleted User]YashaX

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED