Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ni no Kuni II: The Revenant Kingdom Review - The RPG Files - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited March 2018 in News & Features Discussion

imageNi no Kuni II: The Revenant Kingdom Review - The RPG Files - MMORPG.com

Rob’s back after a full week with Ni no Kuni II: Revenant Kingdom. Did he enjoy his time in the Heartlands? Read on to find out.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565
    This is on my wishlist for when it drops to like $30 or $40. Just way too many games right now.
    TillerrojoArcueid[Deleted User]JeffSpicoliLackingMMOchocolate42069infomatzConstantineMerus

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,915
    I played the first one and I will get this when the price drops a bit too.
    JeffSpicoli

• kabitoshinkabitoshin Member UncommonPosts: 854
    The randomness of when they use voiced dialogue and how little they use it is disappointing.
    AshikuroWarlyxAalamr
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    edited March 2018
    I personally don't see "chibi graphics overworld" as a con. World of Final Fantasy has some chibi looks mixed in with the regular looks and that game is quite enjoyable, but i know not everyone likes that. All i can say to anyone in doubt is don't judge a book by its cover.

I have to say that i'm happy more RPGs are sticking to the almost-top-down overworld perspective out in the wilderness like Suikoden, classic FF, and to a degree the Tales of... series. I've always loved that.

EDIT: i didn't play Ni No Kuni 1, but i'm looking forward to adding both games to my waiting list, though it is quite long and keeps growing lol. So many good games to play.

• YaevinduskYaevindusk Member RarePosts: 2,094
    edited March 2018

I personally don't see "chibi graphics overworld" as a con. World of Final Fantasy has some chibi looks mixed in with the regular looks and that game is quite enjoyable, but i know not everyone likes that. All i can say to anyone in doubt is don't judge a book by its cover.

I have to say that i'm happy more RPGs are sticking to the almost-top-down overworld perspective out in the wilderness like Suikoden, classic FF, and to a degree the Tales of... series. I've always loved that.

EDIT: i didn't play Ni No Kuni 1, but i'm looking forward to adding both games to my waiting list, though it is quite long and keeps growing lol. So many good games to play.

To be fair, both cons aren't that objective as a whole. Though there is more leeway when it comes to talking about combat as there is no objectively good combat system that most of the gaming or genre's community agrees upon. One simply has to talk about it as it is the prime focus in most games that have it, and it winds down to a subjective outlook that's totally okay.

Though listing chibi graphics as such is completely unprofessional and lacking any sense of objectivity. The aesthetics and graphical style should simply be listed as it is to inform people who may or may not like it. Indeed, and it is doubly faulted since this is marked as an "anime" style game, and is a JRPG to boot. It is only natural to see potential chibi factors, cutesy critters or people, etc. Marking it as a con when it is within its sphere is, in my opinion, especially lacking.

But everyone is a critic and it shouldn't detract from the otherwise fairly well written review. But I can see it harming the writer's credibility a bit for the more demanding reader that's seeking someone that understands what they're reviewing and knows when it is time to use objectivity and when to use personal opinions. Would have totally been okay with a "personal con" or "subjective con" underneath the two. A lot of people just go directly to the rating and the tdlr; stuff, so it may have been prudent in this situation.

Post edited by Yaevindusk on
    [Deleted User]
    Due to frequent travel in my youth, English isn't something I consider my primary language (and thus I obtained quirky ways of writing).  German and French were always easier for me despite my family being U.S. citizens for over a century.  Spanish I learned as a requirement in school, Japanese and Korean I acquired for my youthful desire of anime and gaming (and also work now).  I only debate in English to help me work with it (and limit things).  In addition, I'm not smart enough to remain fluent in everything and typically need exposure to get in the groove of things again if I haven't heard it in a while.  If you understand Mandarin, I know a little, but it has actually been a challenge and could use some help.

Also, I thoroughly enjoy debates and have accounts on over a dozen sites for this.  If you wish to engage in such, please put effort in a post and provide sources -- I will then do the same with what I already wrote (if I didn't) as well as with my responses to your own.  Expanding my information on a subject makes my stance either change or strengthen the next time I speak of it or write a thesis.  Allow me to thank you sincerely for your time.
  • JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849

This is on my wishlist for when it drops to like $30 or $40. Just way too many games right now.

Yup same
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

• WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,363
    love the graphics , the music , the "jokes"

dont like the combat , is boring and repetitive , just smash left click to win , skills when charged and E on cute minions that help u out , the combat is easy as hell too u can easy kill mobs 5-6 lvls higher w/o sweating

the story is "meh" for now (chapter 3)
  • CelciusCelcius Member RarePosts: 1,868
    I just can't get over the issues with the PC port that some people are experiencing (I am unfortunately one of them), but even when I got it to a point where it ran at a good fps the combat was pretty dull. The game is easy as hell and i just mash x to win every fight.
  • GrakulenGrakulen Staff WriterMMORPG.COM Staff LegendaryPosts: 894
    edited March 2018
    For the record the switch to Chibi graphics in the over world detracts from the rest of the game. Plus they aren't bad because they are chibi graphics they are bad chibi graphics. I played and enjoyed World of Final Fantasy just fine. You can read my review for it on this site. Also if I didn't like chibi graphics it wouldn't undermine my credibility. It would just give you a frame of reference for my objectivity.
    OzmodanYashaX[Deleted User]
  • DataDayDataDay Member UncommonPosts: 1,538
    Chibi = inconsistent art direction and style. That would drive me nuts too!
    Ozmodan
  • zno3zno3 Member UncommonPosts: 10
    The cons is the game is too damn easy