Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Missing COH

waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
edited March 2018 in The Pub at MMORPG.COM
Today I find myself missing City of Heroes after watching this old video:

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

NildenPo_ggScotcheyaneBlaze_Rockerwingood

Comments

• BeyornBeyorn Member UncommonPosts: 366

I’m missing it as well.  I don’t have a go to mmo anymore :(.

I want my masterminds dammit!!!

MargraveBlaze_RockerInterituswaynejr2wingood
  • ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,381
    Every day.....
    Blaze_Rockerwaynejr2wingood

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    Haven't seen that video in years... awesome find :+1:
    The moment when he praises the Cryptic logo and gets run over - epic.
  • MargraveMargrave Member RarePosts: 1,360
    Miss it often. It's was great. It's left a hole.
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,820
    CoH was lagging its player numbers, but also Blade & Soul and Guild Wars coming out 2012, NCsoft was clearing the decks of internal competition.

Real shame, in a league of its own as best supers MMORPG.
    Blaze_RockerIceAgewaynejr2
  • Moxom914Moxom914 Member RarePosts: 731
    was my first mmo
  • WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,361
    edited March 2018
    yup , count me in , miss creating new and weird (stupid) builds , teleporting around just for fun :smile: , doing group events , or just standing around atlas checking customes and what not
    waynejr2wingood
    Nyctelios said:
    Scot said:
    CoH was lagging its player numbers, but also Blade & Soul and Guild Wars coming out 2012, NCsoft was clearing the decks of internal competition.

I think it's more about "just hold on the things that give us more money" and "that failed to achiev the sucess we aimed".

They shut down MxM, they don't have intern competition for that. 

I agree, it was about flagging numbers first and foremost. But they were launching two new MMOs that year, how many can one stable have before they are seen as competing with one another?
    waynejr2
  • cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,067
    Me too I used to always love how characters would get moved by stuff like vehicles and other players. What a great game it was /sad
    Chamber of Chains
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    CoH rocked. I miss it too.

Ship of Heroes is being developed. Might also be fun. 
    waynejr2wingood

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,517
    I hate to say it, but when I see all these people talk about missing CoH, and I know for a fact they closed the game down simply because it was not making money. It can't but think, where were all these people when the game was dying off?
    waynejr2wingood
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

• BeyornBeyorn Member UncommonPosts: 366

Ungood said:
    I hate to say it, but when I see all these people talk about missing CoH, and I know for a fact they closed the game down simply because it was not making money. It can't but think, where were all these people when the game was dying off?
    I was there,  I paid a year in advance for my sub and bought stuff from the store
    ScotBlaze_Rockerwaynejr2wingoodAmathe
    Ungood said:

How many years did you expect us to play it for? On and of I think I did three, two years CoH and one year CoV. In a world of gaming butterflies I don't think that's too bad, and I am sure others played it longer.
  • maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,173
    Scot said:
    Ungood said:

How many years did you expect us to play it for? On and of I think I did three, two years CoH and one year CoV. In a world of gaming butterflies I don't think that's too bad, and I am sure others played it longer.
    I played it off and on, accumulated about 3 years myself over the lifetime of the game, but near the end, it was looking pretty dated, especially after newer superhero games released. 

CoX might have had a greater chance of lasting longer had they done an overhaul at some point, but I think they always believed they would make a sequel. 

Lots of upcoming superhero games now... well.. potential superhero games as they are all indie companies, but maybe one of them might scratch the CoX itch.  

Personally though, I think my desire for that kind of combat and game layout died with CoX. I'm happy with more action oriented games now and hope to see more action oriented hero games too.
    waynejr2

• syltmackasyltmacka Member UncommonPosts: 404
    its like missing stolen years of my youth. bit fun tho.
    Blaze_Rockerwaynejr2wingoodScot
  • AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432
    Ungood said:
    I played pretty much straight through for 2 years (paid sub) and then off and on after it went free to play, again paid sub. Towards the end, I was more "off" than "on", though. My Super Group (guild) had kind of fallen apart by then. I couldn't bring myself to log on that last day and watch it die, like so many other players did.

I miss the players as much as the game. This was the only game where when a group was wiping, we'd all argue over who would stay and keep the baddies busy while as many as could tried to run to a safe area. At least the players I grouped up with :)
    Blaze_Rockercheyanewaynejr2ScotUngood

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• VengeSunsoarVengeSunsoar Member EpicPosts: 6,601
    I don't remember it going free to play.
    Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it is bad.
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    Ungood said:
    Just because the game closed doesn't mean the people who miss it weren't playing. 
    [Deleted User]waynejr2wingoodScot

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• cujo603cujo603 Member UncommonPosts: 103
    My first MMO, only mmo where people teamed up from tutorial to max level.  Remember the taxi bot super group helping newbies get around ?
  • EdinazzuEdinazzu Member UncommonPosts: 5
    These guys have been promising to bring it back for the last 4 years. I've finally given up hope but I always was a CoV fan. http://www.heroes-and-villains.com/phpb/home.php
    waynejr2
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,739
    I remember trying it and it didnt do it for me...i think Im more of a fantasy setting person than a superhero person.
    waynejr2
  • UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,517
    Scot said:
    Ungood said:

I dunno, the fact that you all seem to miss it.. says to me that you didn't play it long enough.
    waynejr2wingood[Deleted User]
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

• Blaze_RockerBlaze_Rocker Member UncommonPosts: 370
    Edinazzu said:
    These guys have been promising to bring it back for the last 4 years. I've finally given up hope but I always was a CoV fan. http://www.heroes-and-villains.com/phpb/home.php

You won't get a game out of Golden Girl and her farce of a game project. I was with them for four and a half years before realizing I'd been duped. https://www.shipofheroes.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=15&start=330#p7837

My best friend even warned me about it after I joined it but I had too much hope in me to see what he was telling me. I really feel like an idiot for believing in that #%@!.

waynejr2

I've got a feevah, and the only prescription... is more cowbell.

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Beyorn said:

I’m missing it as well.  I don’t have a go to mmo anymore :(.

I want my masterminds dammit!!!

I loved my masterminds and would love to have them back!
    AlBQuirky

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Scot said:

The newer super hero mmorpgs just never felt the same or as good to me.
    wingoodScotAmatheAlBQuirky