Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Imagine a world you can live in forever !

delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
edited March 2018 in The Pub at MMORPG.COM
This is how I see it: 
Several factors would need to come to play.  
The first is obvious, a large world, I'm talking about huge, but that's not everything...... After this designers would have to be masters of creativity far far beyond being programmers.  A team of developers that goes beyond pixels and animation.  Someone that can feel human emotion and capabilities.  

To really live in a full world it would be designed to make the player feel "all different levels of danger".  But it goes beyond that by skillful planning of giving the player the choice of when, where and how often as he wishes. A good designer would have to offer safe havens and a place to relax much like a Caveman retreats to his cave after the hunt, or as simple as two children playing outside and run inside from the rain.  A warm and fuzzy.  This safe haven or retreat would have to be filled with "meaningful offtakes" from adventuring like deep crafting or a true social hub much like Stormwind Castle.  Sure some mmorpgs have this to an extent.  But it's short, rushed, and unnatural..... "Unnatural" is the key word here. 

Lets not forget, their are so many different types of people that play mmorpg's.  I'll not belittle anyone by naming them all.  Infact no one can....... Some of us don't know until we see it.  It's a feel thing.   But a good developer would have to tap into such a feel thing. Like different levels of stress then relaxed, kind of like real life.  Difference being fantasy !

Wouldn't it be nice to have an mmorpg where you can escape everything ?  
You don't have to be a basement dweller, but a person that has a full life outside a video game with a means of retreat for leisure as long as your responsible. 

What happened ?....... Back in 2004, I expected this by 2018, a WORLD-TO-LIVE-IN !!  
Between 1999 and 2004 was as close as we ever got.  Vanguard was to be the next step but failed.  

Never has this been attempted again ! 
Post edited by delete5230 on
Moirae

Comments

• AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149
    The problem with that idea is real life.   You could not develop that type of play for players to enjoy as intended unless that was all they did (to maintain the charade).  

The idea of "virtual worlds" is great as far as a gaming world goes.  .Look at what they wanted to do with UO.  I still wish for that type of environment to play in.

I do not want a "second life" though.

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

• delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    Aethaeryn said:
    The problem with that idea is real life.   You could not develop that type of play for players to enjoy as intended unless that was all they did (to maintain the charade).  

The idea of "virtual worlds" is great as far as a gaming world goes.  .Look at what they wanted to do with UO.  I still wish for that type of environment to play in.

I do not want a "second life" though.

I totally with you on this.  

Part of what I was trying to get across is extremely smart development. 

Not a life sim, or a hard core like Pantheon, but something for "everyone", all-in-one.  Play hard with a chosen Guild every night or log in to socialize three times a week and everything in between.  

Much like life..........You have lazy, serious, fun, depressed adventurous and name about two hundred others.   
  • datbasedgrldatbasedgrl Member CommonPosts: 10
    edited March 2018
    I've always felt like MMOs were Second Life with imaginary goals involving guns and swords.

Like you need devs to lead the way, too much freedom, people are so stupid.
    Ungood
    I've always felt like MMOs were Second Life with imaginary goals involving guns and swords.

Your hot, is that really you ?
    Cryomatrix[Deleted User]
  • malikhigh1978malikhigh1978 Member UncommonPosts: 45
    Believe me, within the next 20 years, and it'll likely be sooner, we will achieve singularity. At which point, yes, we will be able to live indefinately within the Matrix basically. Give it time.
  • datbasedgrldatbasedgrl Member CommonPosts: 10

Nop, just too lazy to make a real account.
    Scot
    DMKano said:
    Majority of playerbase wants a balanced lifestyle where gaming is just a % of entertainment activities they do.

I also feel that responsible game devs make games like this too.

What OP is talking about is "life online game" where players are encouraged to spend every waking hour of their life playing.

I think this is a failed design, masses dont want this anymore - its all about short session gameplay - most popular games in the world offer this, log in for a bit and can complete a match in less than 30min usually - pubg, fortnite, and mobas are examples.

The future of MMOs is this - the entire market has shifted to short session gameplay.

Tell that to the 6 million World of Warcraft players..... It  would be Way lot more if it were the same yet new and a little different.

I'll not fall into your crap on this
  • Zeppel80Zeppel80 Member UncommonPosts: 74
    If you had a digital world you could live in it wouldn't be an escape, it would be your new "Real Life." This idea is just another version of "the grass is greener on the other side of the fence" thinking.  If I could only move to wherever things would be great. No, they wouldn't, you'd just take your problems with you.

Besides, in a digital world you could live in you'd have to have socialization, and we all know how well that goes online.  Plus, you'd have to have <gasp> sex and that'll never happen in the Western world.  I mean built in  and planned for sex, not the lame cyber stuff that goes on.
  • MoiraeMoirae Member RarePosts: 3,318
    I expected more too. Instead it has devolved into... this. It's garbage. It had so much potential. 
    delete5230
    Zeppel80 said:
    If you had a digital world you could live in it wouldn't be an escape, it would be your new "Real Life." This idea is just another version of "the grass is greener on the other side of the fence" thinking.  If I could only move to wherever things would be great. No, they wouldn't, you'd just take your problems with you.

Besides, in a digital world you could live in you'd have to have socialization, and we all know how well that goes online.  Plus, you'd have to have <gasp> sex and that'll never happen in the Western world.  I mean built in  and planned for sex, not the lame cyber stuff that goes on.

Having kids on-line game :) 

Lets not get carried away !
  • Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    A world to live in forever... no, thanks.
    https://youtu.be/BYOE_b4aYD0
    :sunglasses:
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,823

Nop, just too lazy to make a real account.
    This is the world of MMOs, you have played them haven't you mate? :)
    edited March 2018
    I like Deletes idea, but the implementation would be real tricky. He mentions how there are players of many different types, trying to please them all would be a nightmare.

I have always loved the idea of a thempark in a sandbox sandwich. You do your themepark levelling in a inner set of city states, then go out into the wilderness for your sandbox. But I do realise its an enormous ask.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    Scot said:
    I like Deletes idea, but the implementation would be real tricky. He mentions how there are players of many different types, trying to please them all would be a nightmare.

I have always loved the idea of a thempark in a sandbox sandwich. You do your themepark levelling in a inner set of city states, then go out into the wilderness for your sandbox. But I do realise its an enormous ask.
    I dunno, it all sounds so much like what EVE offers players today, what exactly is OP asking for that is different? 
    [Deleted User]

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Kyleran said:
    Scot said:

I dunno, it all sounds so much like what EVE offers players today, what exactly is OP asking for that is different? 

Something where we can wear proper roleplaying gear and go round calling each other ma'am, sir and if I really don't like you sirrah. You just can't do that in EVE. :)
    Kyleran[Deleted User]
  • anemoanemo Member RarePosts: 1,903
    edited March 2018
    I imagine that if you're willing to occasionally put up with absurdities Amazon might be able to pull it off with future Machine Learning.

They already know what books and content you buy.  So sick an algorithm on those books to generate similar themes, quests, and plot hooks to what you read.

Then sick another algorithm at modifying quest locations to get similar/complementary people in the same areas.

Then use Amazon's knowledge at making pennies of revenue on dollars of risk...

Sounds pretty hellish but someday might have feasibility with the "magic of AI” that we've been promised for the past few decades.  Along with the GBs of data everyone has been collecting on you.

Post edited by anemo on

Practice doesn't make perfect, practice makes permanent.

"At one point technology meant making tech that could get to the moon, now it means making tech that could get you a taxi."

• btdtbtdt Member RarePosts: 523
    The OP must have recently saw Ready Player One at the theatre...

But alas, it is yet another spin on his usual topic.

Even broken records stop eventually... but with the magic of the internet, it can go on and on and on...
    Scot said:

I don't think it "should" be a nightmare, however by todays standards it would be.  

I understand many here don't like World of Warcraft, but you would have to admit this is a good baseline for a world you can live in....... Back in 2004 !!  

All it would take is expanding beyond.  It's 2018 !!  

More extremely easy content, more medium content, more extremely hard content where the player could pick and choose.  

People hate quest, they don't like collect 10 skins.  Well how about large scale natural adventures where you need to journey far far away a-top a mountain into dangerous territory.  A mountain so brutal very few teams couldn't make it past the base.  Something so hard a YouTube walkthrough wouldn't help.  It's 2018, you would think player scaling would have advanced.  To do an adventure such as this it wouldn't matter what level you are, dangerous territory would be dangerous.  All this naturally where the player wouldn't notice the scaling (it's done in the back round).  Then have easy content for adventurous city dwellers too.....Use your imagination like creative developers should be doing.   

I deeper yet less aggravating crafting system where the player has to manipulate the forge for better items.  Not just collect more and unique items to grind and call it a day.  In order for crafting to be meaningful the fighting content needs to be harder or else why craft at all.  

Capital Cities, constant ever changing events like carnivals and fireworks to hold city dwellers attention, heck even early WoW had this.  This is where your $15 a month should go.  A player never has to pick up a weapon.  Several second generation mmorpg's almost had it right.

Important: 
    This isn't a topic of my fantasy's where I give fictional ideas !!
    It's where we should be in 2018 !!!!! 
    Some of this really needs us to get on with inventing AI, then we will have the games we want.

I forgot to mention, there is already world where you can live forever its called World History. So instead we could just do something that will make us famous for all time. ;)