Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Rift Prime, anyone playing, whats your goal ?

delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
edited March 2018 in Rift
Been slowly playing a week now.  

I'm building a healing Cleric: 
Purifier- for single target heals 
Warden- for HOT heals 
Inquisitor- for some DPS and soloing (if the game is easy, I'll drop this one)

Being only level 14, I'm unsure about being a "primary healer" spending points for Inquisitor DPS, so I may re-spec before my first dungeon.  After all it's embarrassing being a weak healer for my first dungeon around level 17.  I can't judge the difficulty of this game yet. 

My goal for this weekend is to find a Voice Chat Guild and run at least one dungeon :)  

Anyway About Rift Prime: 
Rift Prime is a monthly pay server ($15) and "not a scum bag cash grab" where they try and scam you for money.  Now my guard is up because they still have a cash shop and Trion is known for being a shady company.... but for now, I'm having fun. 

With spot playing on and off at different times the server always seemed packed solid at low levels and that's a breath of fresh air.  I'm not usually big on dynamic event auto grouping, but I have to say the Rifts are fun.  As I was leveling last night another player was following me so we grouped for a half hour without chatting at all, that was nice too. 

I had a few hesitations with playing Rift Prime, but so far I'm OK with it.  

When Rift was released back whenever it was "chain based questing".  This made playing with others impossible trying to match up quest.  Thankfully this had been resolved, at least so far.  Infact someone on YouTube mentioned this had been fixed and was much easer to play with others.  Questing seems generic but at least all are single objective outcomes allowing you to have the same goal as the guy next to you....... Thank GOD !...... This gives the potential to make friends out in the killing fields as you're playing.  

Another fear was "easy mode"..... every mmo is made easy for some reason.  With easy, theirs no reason to play with others.  Being only level 14 I can't get a good feel yet, but difficulty seems about medium.  I died a few times trying to push my limits questing a few level's higher and I don't like having to go beyond my level to find challenge....... So far, not too bad, 30% harder would be nice, time will tell. 

Conclusion: 
I'll stick it out awhile, see how this weekend goes.  I would love to find a Voice Chat Guild.  I hope dungeons are challenging.  And I hope the game allows me to make friends that I could actually play with instead of being a solo experience.   

Anyone else playing?..... Tell us what you think :)
Post edited by delete5230 on

Comments

• sunandshadowsunandshadow Member RarePosts: 1,985
    I continue to be playing Rift Live - I started when Prime launched, but I was completely unwilling to have my profession options limited the way they are in Prime, thus I went with Live.  I'm about level 36; I went with an archer using the pig tank pet because I knew I'd be soloing basically the whole time.  I tried a warrior first but hated the animation and the way it seemed badly synchronized with my inputs.  I'm level 36 now, and the combat has felt kind of samey because I'm not getting any new abilities and I can't use any of the other pets in a tanking role; practically all my skill points go into damage multipliers. :/  What I'm really enjoying is mostly the artifacts, the minions, the quest stories, and the hilarious festival instant adventure (not to mention that I've won two mounts and several cosmetic pets as prizes so far, and I love collecting that kind of stuff.  And my outfit is awesome, if I do say so myself. :wink:
    I want to help design and develop a PvE-focused, solo-friendly, sandpark MMO which combines crafting, monster hunting, and story.  So PM me if you are starting one.
  • YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 3,098
    You should by one more "role" (its only a few gold for the first additional role) and make one role for leveling and one for healing. You can switch roles at any time for free out of combat.
    HarikenMadFrenchiedelete5230Kyleran
  • HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680
    edited March 2018
    Theirs a guy that has some good Rift builds channel on Utube. You should look him up. He's been doing them for awhile. But the advice to buy a second role is a must.
    Post edited by Hariken on
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    YashaX said:
    You should by one more "role" (its only a few gold for the first additional role) and make one role for leveling and one for healing. You can switch roles at any time for free out of combat.
    I have a Necro one for taking tough mobs, Pyro for AoE farming/group, and another off-build I'm experimenting with to try out new souls.  I like the way they allow you to gather a few roles to try out things at a fair gold sink.

• KnightFalzKnightFalz Member EpicPosts: 4,122
    I'm playing a bit here and there, using the preset Shaman build.

My goal, as always, is to have fun.
  • delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    edited March 2018
    YashaX said:

Just realized yesterday that you can buy a 4th role yesterday by seeing your class trainer. 

I did know that you could do a reset at any time and picking any three all over again, just didn't know about the 4th.  

But here's my question....... Do I get my points to spend back on the one I swap out ?  

I would do anything for more points........ ANYTHINGGGGG !!!!..... Well, not exactly anything, but you know what I'm saying. 

< edit, about an hour later > 

Studying a 4th role using this calculator, and assuming I get my spent points back: 

https://rift.magelo.com/en/soultree

I think it would be better to put points back into the first two healing roles at a higher tier instead of spending them on another soul.  

The problem with another soul is spending points on redundant abilities to get to the good stuff...... In other words, wasting a lot of points on gimped redundant abilities like basic healings. 

Now to have a 4th soul swapping back and forth creates another potential problem, if you don't plan on spending any points into it, and using the points in the first two....... What happens to the extra points spent when you go back. 

It would be better if they give the option to have two totally separate builds. 

Unless I'm missing something. 

< edit, again > 

Rethinking everything, and now using the above calculator.

If I were to keep everything as is (two healings, and one dps) and continuing to build healing only, my dps will get more and more gimped if I neglect it ! 

It may be wise to COMPLEATLY re-spec all over, and use the given damage spells given by the healing trees....... I would guess no one ever tried doing what I'm doing for this reason.  Or at least the professional Youtube's, I'm sure many have made some wacky builds :)  

1) It's best to go ALL healing only (infact stronger with only two souls) ! 
    2) Or buy three more souls, and swap completely from healing and dps, but this will mess up your action bars, and be hard to play, if your simple like me.

Post edited by delete5230 on
  • sunandshadowsunandshadow Member RarePosts: 1,985
    @delete5230 ; I don't think you understand that role is different from soul.  You should have 5 souls available, and you choose three and spend points in them.  You can redo the point distribution at any time for free.  To change out any soul you click on the central icon representing that soul, and you will see the list of other options.  All of the three souls and points spent in them, taken together, is a role, aka a build.  When you buy a second role what you get is the ability to set up a second build which you can situationally switch to.  Typically you have one for soloing and one for dungeons, or maybe one for pve and one for pvp.
    YashaXKyleran
    I want to help design and develop a PvE-focused, solo-friendly, sandpark MMO which combines crafting, monster hunting, and story.  So PM me if you are starting one.
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    @delete5230 ; I don't think you understand that role is different from soul.  You should have 5 souls available, and you choose three and spend points in them.  You can redo the point distribution at any time for free.  To change out any soul you click on the central icon representing that soul, and you will see the list of other options.  All of the three souls and points spent in them, taken together, is a role, aka a build.  When you buy a second role what you get is the ability to set up a second build which you can situationally switch to.  Typically you have one for soloing and one for dungeons, or maybe one for pve and one for pvp.
    Actually, it's only free up to a certain level on Prime, then it starts to carry a (minimal) cost to respec.  Really nothing to worry about, players make plenty enough gold to respec.
    YashaX

YashaX said:

It may be wise to COMPLEATLY re-spec all over, and use the given damage spells given by the healing trees....... I would guess no one ever tried doing what I'm doing for this reason.  Or at least the professional Youtube's, I'm sure many have made some wacky builds :)  

2) Or buy three more souls, and swap completely from healing and dps, but this will mess up your action bars, and be hard to play, if your simple like me.

You should have al souls automatically unlocked on prime except for the advanced souls (defiler, runeshaper, oracle for cleric: you can buy these with planarite).

What you get from the trainer (on Prime server) is an extra "role", this will let you set up an entirely new build that comes with its own action bars and everything. But you don't need to go to the trainer anyway.

Here is how it works. Press "N" to bring up your soul tree page. This will show you whatever build you are running and the points allocated to it. Toward the bottom of that page it has a button that says "BUY NEW ROLE" click on this and you will be asked whether you want to buy a new role. If you only have one role the second will cost you a few gold, the third a few plat and the fourth 21 plat.

OK so below that there is a button that says "ROLES". If you click on that it will show how many roles you have and what your current roll is. If you have more than one "role" you can switch to a new role from here.

So lets assume you set up "role1" as healer with three healing souls. That will be good for healing but, lets say you want to make a nice dps build to make questing easier/funner. First buy a new role as explained above (if you haven't already), then click on "role" and swap to the new role (by default it will be called "Role 2"). From here it may prompt you to pick a preset build, which you can do if you want, or you can just pick three souls yourself. This will become "Role 2". You then set up you action bars for Role 2 (put in the skills etc) and away you go!. 

Now just say you want to heal a raid. No problem. Press "N", select "ROLES", switch to "Role 1": boom you are a full healer again with all the same points and action bar as you last left it!
    delete5230
  • delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    YashaX said:
    YashaX said:

You should have al souls automatically unlocked on prime except for the advanced souls (defiler, runeshaper, oracle for cleric: you can buy these with planarite).

What you get from the trainer (on Prime server) is an extra "role", this will let you set up an entirely new build that comes with its own action bars and everything. But you don't need to go to the trainer anyway.

Here is how it works. Press "N" to bring up your soul tree page. This will show you whatever build you are running and the points allocated to it. Toward the bottom of that page it has a button that says "BUY NEW ROLE" click on this and you will be asked whether you want to buy a new role. If you only have one role the second will cost you a few gold, the third a few plat and the fourth 21 plat.

OK so below that there is a button that says "ROLES". If you click on that it will show how many roles you have and what your current roll is. If you have more than one "role" you can switch to a new role from here.

So lets assume you set up "role1" as healer with three healing souls. That will be good for healing but, lets say you want to make a nice dps build to make questing easier/funner. First buy a new role as explained above (if you haven't already), then click on "role" and swap to the new role (by default it will be called "Role 2"). From here it may prompt you to pick a preset build, which you can do if you want, or you can just pick three souls yourself. This will become "Role 2". You then set up you action bars for Role 2 (put in the skills etc) and away you go!. 

Now just say you want to heal a raid. No problem. Press "N", select "ROLES", switch to "Role 1": boom you are a full healer again with all the same points and action bar as you last left it!

This is good stuff, thanks !

They're not very good at explaining this, and seeing the options I was afraid to press them, being unsure of what they may do... Now I know :)   

As for now last night I reset my points and went "Warden and Sentinel only" for now to maximize my tree.  Surprisingly my dps abilities that comes with my healing souls seem as strong as when I had a lot of points in Inquisitor.  And now I feel confidant to heal my first dungeon at level 17. 

Didn't get to play much last night, and today I have an emergency situation here at home I may not get to play much..... But now I'm dying to set up another role first chance I get.  

More about the game:  
    This server is still packed 24/7,  I'm having a lot of fun running Rifts and did a few PvP Warfronts.

Easy mode ?...... Yes, I still think 30% harder would be better.  At times the quest would send you into more difficult areas within the zone and you could die depending on your level if not careful but still you don't ever really need anyone.  At least being a healer I'm not overpowered and just two levels above the quest could be a challenge.  Above or below level depends on doing side content like Rifts Warfronts or Dungeons. 

This game has the potential of being a real mmorpg is it were more difficult, but it's surprisingly a lot of fun anyway.

I joined a nice helpful Guild that takes the game serious, but still no real need for anyone to help on anything. 
    edited March 2018
    YashaX said:
    YashaX said:

This is good stuff, thanks !

They're not very good at explaining this, and seeing the options I was afraid to press them, being unsure of what they may do... Now I know :)   

As for now last night I reset my points and went "Warden and Sentinel only" for now to maximize my tree.  Surprisingly my dps abilities that comes with my healing souls seem as strong as when I had a lot of points in Inquisitor.  And now I feel confidant to heal my first dungeon at level 17. 

Its worth slotting all three souls even if you don't point any points into the tree because every soul gives you a couple of skills even with a zero point investment. You can also swap that soul out for another one for free.

For example if you have points in Warden and Sentinel, you can slot Purifier as the third soul and get the shield for free. Then later on if you thought, "Hmmm, I wonder what the druid summons are like?", you could freely change the purifier tree for Druid and get the fairy and satyr summons, etc.  

Oh one other thing: I doubt you could solo invasions, or any rift a couple of levels above your own. Its a very group based game in that respect. For just general questing though you can do everything solo, especially on a cleric.
    delete5230