Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Live event: 80 minutes of Pre-Alpha Character Creation In CoE

daarcodaarco Member UncommonPosts: 4,275
edited March 2018 in Chronicles of Elyria

Comments

• AnOldFartAnOldFart Member RarePosts: 562
    I will have to watch that as soon as I have time
    mystichaze
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Good stuff
    mystichaze
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • mystichazemystichaze Member UncommonPosts: 378
    I am so excited about the Character Creator and can't wait till we are able to get our hands on it.. :)
    daarco
  • time007time007 Member UncommonPosts: 1,062
    interesting to see this
    mystichaze

IMPORTANT:  Please keep all replies to my posts about GAMING.  Please no negative or backhanded comments directed at me personally.  If you are going to post a reply that includes how you feel about me, please don't bother replying & just ignore my post instead.  I'm on this forum to talk about GAMING.  Thank you.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    Hmm, 80 minutes is pretty long. 

Are you sure its safe for children?

;)
    MendelNeutralEvil

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    Kyleran said:
    Hmm, 80 minutes is pretty long. 

Are you sure its safe for children?

;)
    Eighty minutes?  How long is the character creation process expected to take?  Even for a demo, with lots of explaining, I think 80 minutes would be enough time to show a dozen characters.  It seems like an awfully long time for a pre-game activity to me.

Forgrimmnatpick

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• IceAgeIceAge Member EpicPosts: 3,118
    80 minutes of Pre-Alpha Character Creation

Worst title ever. 

I mean, who in the right mind would like to spend 80 minutes of Character Creation in any game. But then again, this is a video of some guys , talking 80 minutes , and in the mean time, they .. play with the character creation feature. 

Reporter: What's behind Blizzard success, and how do you make your gamers happy?
    Blizzard Boss: Making gamers happy is not my concern, making money.. yes!

• daarcodaarco Member UncommonPosts: 4,275
    Since it was a live event, the community asked alot of questions in the chat and the devs tryed to answer then. That took some time.

mystichaze
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    Glad to see them offering more "in-game" exposure for backers.
    daarcomystichazeNeutralEvil

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    I guess if it's all they have to show, they need to get the maximum mileage out of it, lol
    Well, 12 "races" get five minutes each (60 minutes) and ten minutes of introduction and another ten minutes at the end.
    Kyleran
    Maybe Character Creation isn't important to everyone, but trust me when I say it is a very important aspect of a game in Roleplaying communities. And since CoE is a Roleplay game, well need I say more...
    MadFrenchiedaarcoAshyLarry24
    Maybe Character Creation isn't important to everyone, but trust me when I say it is a very important aspect of a game in Roleplaying communities. And since CoE is a Roleplay game, well need I say more...
    I agree, though I would caution devs on spending too much time on small facial features and, instead, more time on ensuring a creation and cosmetic system that allows players to get the big things right (cloth/leather/plate armor, design of the armor, cloak with/without hood, etc).
    Kyleran

edited March 2018
    I agree, though I would caution devs on spending too much time on small facial features and, instead, more time on ensuring a creation and cosmetic system that allows players to get the big things right (cloth/leather/plate armor, design of the armor, cloak with/without hood, etc).
    Do you have some inside source that states they are not also spending time on those things? It is my understanding that many of these features are getting time as well as the preparation of Alpha one players to enter VoxElyria to start testing the backend mechanics. 
    The devs talk about why the chraracter creation is so special in CoE compared to most other MMO´s with the fact the characters will age and get old.
    And also that the "races" can breed with eachothers.
    So the character creation is lncluded to the overall gameplay.
    mystichazeKyleran
    edited March 2018
    Do you have some inside source that states they are not also spending time on those things as well? It is my understanding that many of these features are getting time as well as the preparation of Alpha one players to enter VoxElyria to start testing the backend mechanics. 
    Not at all, it's just a trend I've seen in adding facial features in character creation that generally are covered or masked in some way by a hood, helm, or hat.

It's been my experience that when I create a character, the hairstyle and clothing items become much more defining than whether my tiny little nose is pointed or rounded.
    Kyleran

• DragnelusDragnelus Member EpicPosts: 3,503

Asheram

• OrangeBoyOrangeBoy Member UncommonPosts: 213
    those are some fucking ugly characters, jesus h christ
    MendelYashaX
    edited March 2018
    Do you have some inside source that states they are not also spending time on those things as well? It is my understanding that many of these features are getting time as well as the preparation of Alpha one players to enter VoxElyria to start testing the backend mechanics. 
    Not at all, it's just a trend I've seen in adding facial features in character creation that generally are covered or masked in some way by a hood, helm, or hat.

It's been my experience that when I create a character, the hairstyle and clothing items become much more defining than whether my tiny little nose is pointed or rounded.
    Actually, I don't know if it will be a trend for other leaders but those that enter into the Capital of my County, it will be a requirement that all helmets, hoods, and Weapons are removed at the gate.

Of course, every leader will be establishing their own laws within their regions, but because of deviant behavior, I expect this will quickly become the norm. 
    Oh look at that Madfrenchie, ask as we shall receive. *winks*

https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/24504/tribal-clothing-concept-brudvir-dras
    daarcoMadFrenchie
  • LackingMMOLackingMMO Member RarePosts: 664
    Man when I saw this title, I was thinking who the heck would do a 80 minute video on just character creation.. come to find out it was a live event.. makes sense now. Should have put that in the description.

More to the discussion, I always view character creation as something really important at the start that loses its value/importants as you progress through the game at least for when I'm playing a tank that typically has a cool helm and awesome plate armor.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    edited March 2018
    Well most look near identical to me and seeing only one model used ,i really don't see the purpose of this hype.A poster mentions it, to me seems obvious then someone says "well they said the tribes are in the pipeline...say what.Then why show it off now if they will actually look different later.
    IMO they will not look any different,this is one model used and it shows.Besides i have since forever been talking about how visuals mean VERY little to me,i want customization to be far more than visual.My friends were perhaps the original creators of the morphing program about 30-35 years ago so i know what can be done with morphing.

I want to see strength ,speed differences,some more agile,dexterity,intelligence etc etc.People in real life look a lot different because they really are a lot different.
    Mendel

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

Oh look at that Madfrenchie, ask as we shall receive. *winks*

https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/24504/tribal-clothing-concept-brudvir-dras
    Thanks for posting!  Yes, I think this kind of tribal clothing stuff is key.  A person's clothing, crest, etc. should help tell a story about who they are!
    mystichaze

• MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    Still, 80 minutes for a demonstration of how to move sliders around isn't very informative.  From all I could see, these have no bearing at all on the game.  Like @Wizardy said, forcing one model on all races makes everything look the same.  Is all of the distinctive features, like the clothing discussed by @MadFrenchie and @Mystichaze, only at the conceptual art stage?

Be assured, those who donated, your money has purchased an industrial level coffee maker.  Too bad, they could only show the pot and not the actual machine.   That fits into the general level of completion for this project and this presentation.

NeutralEvil

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

Mendel said:

Be assured, those who donated, your money has purchased an industrial level coffee maker.  Too bad, they could only show the pot and not the actual machine.   That fits into the general level of completion for this project and this presentation.

Had you been paying attention at all, the Coffee Machine was a gift from one of the community members to SBS. Not something SBS bought for themselves... *Lets out a dramatic sigh*