Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

This is what kills PC gaming and mmo’s

Comments

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    edited March 2018
    Eldurian said:
    i fried my alienwares graphics card, so i decided to replace it with a gaming desktop.. nothing fancy, just a system to game on 1080p

ryzen 5k, 16GB, GTX 1060, 500Gb SSD..
    costing me a whopping €1400
    just the PC, witouth monitor, keys, mouse, extra storage etc etc..
    i feel ripped

no wonder that everyone sticks to consoles, and controllers..  and MMOs designed for controllers just cant keep up with MMOs designed for keys and mouse..
    We build a custom machine for my fiance this year that cost 1200$ and can multi-client ArcheAge up to 6 times before it starts to really kill the FPS. I'm still getting by on a far less powerful rig.

PC Gaming is expensive but it doesn't have to be THAT expensive. 
    That's about what I spent when I bought my rig.  I've since put some extra RAM, SSD, and a new 970 OC'd to beef it up over the years, but I've not found a single game yet I couldn't run on high or max with it.

The rig has lasted almost 4 years now with those few upgrades.

EDIT- by the way, how do ya get your significant other into RPGs?  My girl loves high fantasy novels, but I can't get her interested in fantasy games!  Any suggestions on trying to ease her into it?  I'd love to enjoy an MMORPG together with her.

• EldurianEldurian Member EpicPosts: 2,736
    edited March 2018
    Well if you were single I would say this:

Go to a free dating website like okcupid. Answer a bunch of questions but only answer a few of the ones you find very important to you publicly (You can only see questions your match has answered publicly if you have answered them publicly as well. Being selective means you only get to know about a few things you consider very personally important as most users answers everything or nearly everything publicly.) Once you've answered a lot of questions do a search of the entire nation by gaming related keywords, match percentage, and other things you my find important like non-smoker, a specific religion, age range etc. If one particular aspect is important to you (GAMER GIRL) search by related keywords in their profiles. Read through the profiles to see which ones you really find interesting. Send them a thoughtful message that proves you actually read their profile and not just checked out their pictures. Do this for a small number of girl.

Of the ones who respond, talk to them, get to know them better, but don't progress the relationship any further than is appropriate when you are talking to multiple girls. I've actually found this to be a very important part of the process as it avoids you settling on a girl because she is "good enough" or obsessing over any one girl without good reason. When one girl clearly seems the most interesting and and you are ready to progress things with her, politely excuse yourself from conversations with the other girls.

And that is how I landed myself in a relationship with a highly compatible girl who was already a gamer.

In terms of turning an existing relationship on to a hobby of yours... that is much harder. If you want something you might have to give something. Ask her if there is a hobby of hers she wants to share with you enough to start gaming with you if you do that for her. If her gaming with you is important enough to you, then I'm sure you won't mind ball room dancing or whatever to make that happen. ;) That seems like the most reasonable approach to me.
    MadFrenchie
  • ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    Just keep in mind my American friends, PC is way fucking more expensive over the pond, especially in the UK. 
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • berenimberenim Member UncommonPosts: 162
    Just keep in mind my American friends, PC is way fucking more expensive over the pond, especially in the UK. 
     Jupp, I totally agree. I'm checking prices every now and then, because my rig is getting old and the GPU cooler sounds like a vacuum cleaner. :(  Especially since this mining crap got en vogue prices of GPUs only knew one way: Up! 
     I can give some examples of a usually not too expensive shop in Germany:

GPU: GeForce GTX 1060 minI: About 340€, first 8GB card: 8GB MSI Radeon RX 570 ARMOR 8G OC Aktiv PCIe 3.0 x16 (Retail)  about 370€. Then there are more versions of both cards, first RX580: 400€, first GTX1070 about 556€.

CPU: Ryzen 1600X: About 170€, 1700x: About 260€, 1800X: 285€ (all boxed)

16GB 2400 RAM (gSkill RipJaw DDR4) 140€

Having a quick glance at newegg (first us shop when I googled for hardware US shop) the GTX1060 is available for 280$ (about 210€, the Zotac Mini from above 299$, about 242€ so it is about 100€ cheaper on the other side of The Pond), the RX580 is about 400$, so it is about 329€, again cheaper. First GTX1070 I found: 530$ = 429€

CPU: Ryzen 1600X - 200$ (161€), 1700X - 300$ (243€), 1800X - 330$ (268€).

So GPUs are waaaayyy cheaper and CPUs somewhat cheaper.

RAM: Cheapest 16GB 2400 DDR4: 155$ (125€), couldn't find the exact same RAM, but the first Single DIMM was 161$ (131€), as tge above was single DIMM, too.

So all in all you'd save 100 - 200€ if you could get the US prices :( Now I'd like bang my head on my desk. :(
    ConstantineMerus

• AnOldFartAnOldFart Member RarePosts: 562
    edited March 2018
    You my friend were ripped off...

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2KpXHh

That's a better system for €250 cheaper
  • Flyte27Flyte27 Member RarePosts: 4,574

berenim said:
      first GTX1070 about 556€.
    I bought my used 980ti, which is on par or better than the 1070 in most games, for $250. Half the price. Sometimes the previous generation's top model brings you way more bang for the bucks.
    That is true, but it also consumes a lot more power.  That also means more heat generated.  It's all personal preference though.  Most people could probably get by with a GTX 1050 or 1060 which are fairly cheap and have very low power consumption/heat generation.  It would still be better than what consoles can produce IMO.
  • chronoss2015chronoss2015 Member UncommonPosts: 217
    edited March 2018
    the truth is the overprice cant go forever cause more mining = less profits from sad mining just wait another 3 months when everyone in summer goes out into world and does less gaming and see what happens these smucks overpricing are gonna get there just due.

and as the coin grows a bit more cards get bought but there is a threshold where it becomes literally not profitable to mine no more that just ends it...

and if i am wrong and ths keeps going forever do you think your next console will be the price it was last time? ITS gonna cook you for price ....literally as availability will drive demand through the roof and retailers wont be able to get enough of them and thus your gonna have consoles that are so costly that if there is a drop in cost after you are gonna feel REALLLLLLY ripped.

ALSO until next gen pcs and chips get the meltdown and spectre fix with these gf issues and performance hits you should see a slow if not crawl on cutting edge tech....this hurts games like star citizen and others that are trying ( i know if they ever get there) to push limits.

i wanted to upgrade my gt620 but im gonna wait now....and ive jsut added ton of cooling to keep card going for a long time....

6 years - 1600 bucks gt620 and 16 gb ram on 3.3 ghz box....
    add to that i can make games , websites , animate , surf web way i want how i want install what i want ....and for that freedom 266 bucks a year and decreasing

SSDs are getting fairly reasonable.

250 for 1TB.

130 for 500GB.

They consume less power and are less likely to die.  If you turn off your computer by holding the power in instead of shutting down the SSD shouldn't have any damage.  That may not be the case with a HDD.  It also boots faster and reads infinitely faster.  It's almost like having a powerful tablet PC that is customizable.

https://www.amazon.com/Crucial-MX500-500GB-NAND-Internal/dp/B0784SLQM6/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1521727583&sr=1-1-spons&keywords=ssd+500gb&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/Blue-NAND-1TB-SSD-WDS100T2B0A/dp/B073SBQMCX/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1521727739&sr=1-1-spons&keywords=ssd+1tb&psc=1

Personally, I feel it's worth it to invest in low power consumption parts that have good output.  I bought a T model core i7 processor and have a GTX 1070 and 1060 in two different PCs.  With Windows 10 I haven't really had any issues.  It also doesn't get very hot.  I think the PS4 I have consumes more power and generates more heat than either of my PCs.  I haven't used it since beating Uncharted 4.  I probably should sell it.  It's too bad some good games are exclusive to certain platforms.  I could always subscribe to PSN temporarily and stream them to my PC I guess.  I'm not a big fan of that, but it beats buying more equipment.
    Flyte27 said:

berenim said:
      first GTX1070 about 556€.
    I bought my used 980ti, which is on par or better than the 1070 in most games, for $250. Half the price. Sometimes the previous generation's top model brings you way more bang for the bucks.
    That is true, but it also consumes a lot more power.  That also means more heat generated.  It's all personal preference though.  Most people could probably get by with a GTX 1050 or 1060 which are fairly cheap and have very low power consumption/heat generation.  It would still be better than what consoles can produce IMO.
    I don't really care about a few more cents on my electricity bill, to be honest. Because at the end, that's what it will be, a few more cents. The performance increase is drastic though.
    Fair enough.  I'm usually more concerned with heat and size of the card than getting the most power possible.  I didn't care about the heat in the past, but now that I'm 40 I get more dry skin and try to keep the temperature at a certain point.  My room used to be an oven and I started using graphics cards a long time ago.  I was the same way with food.  I always liked food to be overcooked and hard for a long time.  Now I know it's better to have soft food cooked to the right temperature.  The money from power savings would just be a bonus, but it can add up if you keep the card for a long period of time.
  • Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    i fried my alienwares graphics card, so i decided to replace it with a gaming desktop.. nothing fancy, just a system to game on 1080p

i feel ripped

no wonder that everyone sticks to consoles, and controllers..  and MMOs designed for controllers just cant keep up with MMOs designed for keys and mouse..
    That is nuts.

I just bought a PC for one of my kids a few months ago.
    16GB RAM
    500 GB SSD
    2GB HD
    cheap ass KB,mouse etc...including Windows

$1151 with free shipping. And I was disappointed I couldn't get it cheaper (but was still cheaper than buying my own parts which sucked)

Prices in europe are different...  

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    Eldurian said:
    Well if you were single I would say this:

Go to a free dating website like okcupid. Answer a bunch of questions but only answer a few of the ones you find very important to you publicly (You can only see questions your match has answered publicly if you have answered them publicly as well. Being selective means you only get to know about a few things you consider very personally important as most users answers everything or nearly everything publicly.) Once you've answered a lot of questions do a search of the entire nation by gaming related keywords, match percentage, and other things you my find important like non-smoker, a specific religion, age range etc. If one particular aspect is important to you (GAMER GIRL) search by related keywords in their profiles. Read through the profiles to see which ones you really find interesting. Send them a thoughtful message that proves you actually read their profile and not just checked out their pictures. Do this for a small number of girl.

Of the ones who respond, talk to them, get to know them better, but don't progress the relationship any further than is appropriate when you are talking to multiple girls. I've actually found this to be a very important part of the process as it avoids you settling on a girl because she is "good enough" or obsessing over any one girl without good reason. When one girl clearly seems the most interesting and and you are ready to progress things with her, politely excuse yourself from conversations with the other girls.

And that is how I landed myself in a relationship with a highly compatible girl who was already a gamer.

In terms of turning an existing relationship on to a hobby of yours... that is much harder. If you want something you might have to give something. Ask her if there is a hobby of hers she wants to share with you enough to start gaming with you if you do that for her. If her gaming with you is important enough to you, then I'm sure you won't mind ball room dancing or whatever to make that happen. ;) That seems like the most reasonable approach to me.
    That was a pretty awesome response, thanks!  Haha ya, I'll have to start reading some of those fantasy novels she likes!

She's seemed open to trying it, but I think keyboard and mouse is overwhelming.  Maybe best to start on the PS4!

• centkincentkin Member RarePosts: 1,527
    It was typically cheaper to pick your own parts and build your own machine, with sites that built machines as a slightly more expensive second, and the bigger name prebuilds as generally expensive machines with weak points that you couldn't easily fix.

What is odd is that the whole cryptocurrency thing has turned it all on its ears.  Now the prebuilds are the cheapest way to get a machine with a good video card in it and you have to deal with the cut corners unless you want to really overpay. 

In essence this has been REALLY GOOD for the brand name companies over build your own.

If this occurred in any other climate people would be jumping up and down.
  • CelciusCelcius Member RarePosts: 1,868
    edited March 2018

i feel ripped

Yeah you can say all that, but the reality is a PC lasts you way longer and does much more then gaming. You could practically write off a PC as well due to everyone needing one. As others has said though, right now is a bad time to build a new PC. Cryptocurrency is wrecking video card prices (even solid budget cards won't be less then 200$) and Ram prices are high right  now as well. 

The thing is that consoles are not really affected by this. They have manufacturers specifically making them the hardware. Buuuuut....

In the long run, PC gaming is cheaper if you are a hardcore gamer. Console games are almost always 60$ and rarely go on discount for at least a year out. Most hardcore gamers won't wait longer then a couple of months to buy a hot new game. Any smart PC gamer knows you can get anywhere from 20% off to 50% off within 3 months of a game coming out. Xbox and Playstation both need subs to play games that are multiplayer as well as additional controllers. That is a lot of money. 60$ a year (assuming you pay yearly) can really add up quickly. 

PC gamers also have the biggest assortment of games to choose from as there are very few games now that don't release on PC. Outside Nintendo, who are kind of in a land of their own. 
  • deathswaydeathsway Member UncommonPosts: 1
    edited March 2018

i feel ripped

i have multiple things here to say i  am so tired of hearing this pc gaming is too expensive. For 1 when you buy a gaming pc you are getting a pc enough said a ps4 plays ps4 games thats it pc can do soooooo much more from emulators to old games to new games to music to movies software school work.(this list can go on for ages) for 2 you more then likely judging by the fact you owned an alienware to begin with where ripped off. learn to build your own pc go to sights like newegg it is a lot cheaper trust me buying things like alienware are like buying brand name cloths its the same shit but your paying for the brand. build your own would be cheaper i guarantee i can build your pc at half that cost 16GB ram come on mine has 32GB and my rig is 3 years old. For 3 if you think pc gaming is going to die any time soon you are clueless (not trying to be mean here) but all major gaming titles in E sports such as league of legends Dota 2 counter strike... WOW are played on pc people always talk about console exclusives such as halo and kingdom hearts anyone ever showed u a list of pc exclusives????? no you know why??? because it is TOOO DAMN LARGE pc gaming isn't dieing sorry to tell you.

and one more thing as someone else mentiond on consoles your going to rebuy games so they work with the new console a prime example of this is everyone now talking about the first dark souls being remasterd. if your a console gamer you have to pay $60 for it remasterd because its not on ps4 and xbox one but a pc gamer can just play the original that they bought 4 years ago on steam. the amount of games that get lost when consoles change is just sad pc has always been amazing at this look at diablo 2 its still online and it came out 18 years ago.
    deathsway said:

i feel ripped

i have multiple things here to say i  am so tired of hearing this pc gaming is too expensive. For 1 when you buy a gaming pc you are getting a pc enough said a ps4 plays ps4 games thats it pc can do soooooo much more from emulators to old games to new games to music to movies software school work.(this list can go on for ages) for 2 you more then likely judging by the fact you owned an alienware to begin with where ripped off. learn to build your own pc go to sights like newegg it is a lot cheaper trust me buying things like alienware are like buying brand name cloths its the same shit but your paying for the brand. build your own would be cheaper i guarantee i can build your pc at half that cost 16GB ram come on mine has 32GB and my rig is 3 years old. For 3 if you think pc gaming is going to die any time soon you are clueless (not trying to be mean here) but all major gaming titles in E sports such as league of legends Dota 2 counter strike... WOW are played on pc people always talk about console exclusives such as halo and kingdom hearts anyone ever showed u a list of pc exclusives????? no you know why??? because it is TOOO DAMN LARGE pc gaming isn't dieing sorry to tell you.

and one more thing as someone else mentiond on consoles your going to rebuy games so they work with the new console a prime example of this is everyone now talking about the first dark souls being remasterd. if your a console gamer you have to pay $60 for it remasterd because its not on ps4 and xbox one but a pc gamer can just play the original that they bought 4 years ago on steam. the amount of games that get lost when consoles change is just sad pc has always been amazing at this look at diablo 2 its still online and it came out 18 years ago.
    I agree for the most part. Just want to point out a couple of things. I do agree with your overall point though. Basically that, consoles can defidently have more to do then just game including a couple of the things you mentioned. (Music and Movies mainly) Consoles have access to most main streaming services you have access to on PC. Video cards, if you want a half decent one (Not budget) will run you close to the cost of a console as well. I mean, at this point the argument isn't that PCs are more expensive, its more about value. In the long run the PC provides more value and can be (if you play enough games) cheaper. 
  • acidbloodacidblood Member RarePosts: 878
    edited March 2018

Depending on the individual components that price does seem a bit high for what you got.

As to PCs generally though, it depends how you look at it.
    1. A quality PC can easily outlast a console generation (especially with some choice upgrades). e.g. my current PC is about a year older than a PS4, but a RAM and GPU upgrade over a year ago and it puts even an Xbox One X to shame.
    2. A PC can do a lot more than just games and a few apps; i.e. even if you just wanted basic word processing (and good web browsing), you’re still looking at a few hundred for a non-gaming PC.
    3. You can get a basic keyboard and a good mouse for about the price of a PS4 / Xbox controller (and a good mechanical keyboard will last you decades).
    4. PC games are generally cheaper than console games, especially digital versions.
    5. The only online cost for PC games is for the games themselves, not the platform.
    6. PCs simply offer more choice... e.g. most cross-platform titles support a controller on PC, but keyboard / mouse support in console versions is next to non-existent.

If fact about the only reason I can ever see to spend money on a console is for the exclusives (and the occasion lazy day on the couch).
  • berenimberenim Member UncommonPosts: 162
     Why is it everyone's going "either..., or..."? I want a new PC AND own a PS4. There are use cases for both and genres I prefer on either. JRPG (Persona, FF), Survival Horror and Action Adventures I prefer on the big screen with the PS4.
     Retro Gaming, RTS, Building Sims, Management I prefer my PC. FPS it is dependant. Action: PC, atmosphere: PS4 on TV. 

Different games have different control styles and atmospheres that get over different on the different platforms. At least for me both have use cases.

Another thing we usually forget that gives consoles the edge for Average Joe: Insert disk -> Play! No need to care for specs (Will this run on my PC?) or drivers. Those are no problem for us, at most a nuissance (sp?) if a new driver messes with our settings and we need to roll back, or a game wont run without the latest drivers... But Average Joe wont care and doesn't like to read through boards or to take care of his machines. Many of thoise people don't do updates if they do not come via auto update.

So in my eyes both systems have advanteges, disadvanteges and use cases and games the get over better on each system. 

So peace folks. ;)

edited March 2018
    berenim said:
     Another thing we usually forget that gives consoles the edge for Average Joe: Insert disk -> Play! No need to care for specs 
    Not really entirely true anymore. It is more like, insert a disc, wait 45 minutes for a game to patch, wait 45 minutes to install. Sometimes these things can take hours depending on which system / connection. You also need to worry about disc  space as most games install on your hard drive on PS4 / Xbox. You can also play PC games on a big screen sitting on the couch. 
    Gruug
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    I see no issue with PC's being more expensive than consoles, they are better at gaming, web surfing, word processing, you name it they are better at it. So you are going to pay more, that's what happens in life is you want the best. :)
    [Deleted User]
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    Maybe its just me but console gaming always feels inferior to PC gaming....The quality of the games, graphics, everything.
    Gruug
  • Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
    Maybe its just me but console gaming always feels inferior to PC gaming....The quality of the games, graphics, everything.
    I think it's just what you decide to play. If it's cross platform with PC, and it allows the PC to take advantage of higher graphic options and better frame rates, then yes it is inferior. But if it's an exclusive like Horizon Zero Dawn or The Last of Us, then I would say it's superior to similar styles of games on PC.
  • MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    For me, it's the controller.

Gruug

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• GruugGruug Member RarePosts: 1,791
    I have owned both a PC and a console for many years. Upgrading either as the time to do so and the available cash allowed. I found, at that time, that having both was a good idea because SOME games I wanted to play were only on one machine. Today however, you can get the games on both machines and having more then one just does not make as much sense. I personally decided that I would get rid of my console and go exclusively PC because now the advantage was the mouse and keyboard PLUS the variety of other equipment like joysticks and such was so superior. And while I may pay more for my PC, I feel it is far advanced to the latest console which is stuck at whatever  level of tech it was shipped with. I am not dissing consoles, just that is my choice. There is room for both but it just has to be what YOU choose.

Let's party like it is 1863!

I think it's just what you decide to play. If it's cross platform with PC, and it allows the PC to take advantage of higher graphic options and better frame rates, then yes it is inferior. But if it's an exclusive like Horizon Zero Dawn or The Last of Us, then I would say it's superior to similar styles of games on PC.
    I don't believe those games, the Uncharted Series, Bloodborne, Cathine, Persona, etc. are good games because they are made on PS4.  They just happen to have good stories.  The same games could be made graphically better on PC and still have the same good story.  You could play them through PSN streaming or possible through a PS3 emulator if you own the game.
  • LimnicLimnic Member RarePosts: 1,116
    Hardware and functionality-wise, it's a nuisance to want to play certain titles locked to different systems knowing you have to grab a dedicated piece of hardware to use it that has few ulterior purposes. 

Still not well supported, but I appreciate that Microsoft has moved the direction of their Play Anywhere feature with some newer titles, since that mostly means I can go back to consolidating things onto fewer platforms.

PC definitely will remain the centerpiece for me because of that, but it would be nice if other market forces wouldn't be so impactful on some of the costs.